09-28-14 11:44 PM
761 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    The average person won't be able to side load an apk store. I think that's what the poster you responded to was getting at.

Posted via CB10
    russworman likes this.
    12-19-13 07:18 PM
    That requires a side load tho doesn't it? Unless they offer the app directly through BlackBerry World or by means that don't require side loading I don't think it is a solution the average consumer will appreciate.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    12-19-13 07:19 PM
    The average person won't be able to side load an apk store. I think that's what the poster you responded to was getting at.

Why would they have to? Have you even tried Snap? It's outstanding, provides access to any non-paid app on Google Play, and the developer is working on the paid part.

In fact, I'd argue it's better than Google Play for a variety of reasons. Here is the list I posted about a week ago:

Snap - Download apps from Google Play directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+ (Post #1154, object ID #9702818)
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    12-19-13 07:28 PM
    Yes that is what I was getting at. Average user would need it pre-installed in order to be "dummy proof "
    12-19-13 07:32 PM
    I really couldn't care less about Google Play on my phone as we have a awesome dev who gave us SNAP which is awesome.

Now, Google services is entirely a different story. Can they work independent of each other? We shall see...

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    12-19-13 07:37 PM
    I just want to point out one thing. If someone doesn't like BlackBerry's policy on leaks, and they want to stop using their phone, well, you kinda already paid for your phone, so BlackBerry already got your money. How exactly is you leaving now supposed to punish them? Other than in terms of future app sales maybe, but app sales from one person probably won't hurt them that much.

Posted via Q10 running 10.2.1.1055. I enjoy watching people go to more trouble than I'm worth.
    12-19-13 08:24 PM
    Why would they have to? Have you even tried Snap? It's outstanding, provides access to any non-paid app on Google Play, and the developer is working on the paid part.

In fact, I'd argue it's better than Google Play for a variety of reasons. Here is the list I posted about a week ago:

Snap - Download apps from Google Play directly to your BlackBerry 10.2.1+ (Post #1154, object ID #9702818)
    So you have a way for average consumers to install snap (bar file) on their phone without side loading it? And yes I realize there's an app that allows direct OTA installs of bar files but that also requires that app to be side loaded. Even if it's only requires 1 thing to be side loaded, 99 percent of the population would/could not get it.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:13 PM
    I really couldn't care less about Google Play on my phone as we have a awesome dev who gave us SNAP which is awesome.

Now, Google services is entirely a different story. Can they work independent of each other? We shall see...

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100%.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:19 PM
    So you have a way for average consumers to install snap (bar file) on their phone without side loading it? And yes I realize there's an app that allows direct OTA installs of bar files but that also requires that app to be side loaded. Even if it's only requires 1 thing to be side loaded, 99 percent of the population would/could not get it.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the aversion to sideload something, even from the average user. I think we don't give the 99 percent enough credit, even if I am a filthy 1 percenter.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:19 PM
    I don't understand the aversion to sideload something, even from the average user. I think you don't give the 99 percent enough credit, even if I am a filthy 1 percenter.

Posted via CB10
    I sideload all the time. I'm speaking about the vast majority that wouldn't even bother trying even though it simple. And in fact, I'm probably being generous by giving 1% of the population that credit. I'm not saying that people don't have the ability, they just don't want to. They want everything to be there on their phone.

Posted via CB10
    atjovic likes this.
    12-19-13 09:24 PM
    I don't understand the aversion to sideload something, even from the average user. I think we don't give the 99 percent enough credit, even if I am a filthy 1 percenter.

Posted via CB10
    For myself and some of my friends side loading isn't very practical or simple. I don't have a computer...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    I actually kind of understand ray's concern. My wife is what I'd consider to be "the average user". She's somewhat tech savvy. She understands a lot, even creates and edits her own websites for her business.

But, if she had to go out of her way to install an app that she couldn't just install directly to her phone while sitting there and picking it from a list. Then she wouldn't bother. Simple as that. That's why she has an iPhone.

When I tell her how I got some things on my phone, which I think is the fun of it; she just says that's too much work and that her iPhone is much easier.

And, I can't really disagree with that.

Posted via CB10
    ray689, bb8900edit and atjovic like this.
    12-19-13 09:34 PM
    I actually kind of understand ray's concern. My wife is what I'd consider to be "the average user". She's somewhat tech savvy. She understands a lot, even creates and edits her own websites for her business.

But, if she had to go out of her way to install an app that she couldn't just install directly to her phone while sitting there and picking it from a list. Then she wouldn't bother. Simple as that. That's why she has an iPhone.

When I tell her how I got some things on my phone, which I think is the fun of it; she just says that's too much work and that her iPhone is much easier.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point, thank you.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is correct. If it is not drop dead simple - then it will go nowhere. Snap is great for geeks like us. We are a very small percent of the picture.
    12-19-13 10:08 PM

This is not like sideloading Android apps. It's a BAR file, regular native BB10 app.

You download Sachesi (ONE single executable file), double-click it, click the "INSTALL" tab, drag the BAR file onto the window, done.
    12-19-13 10:29 PM
    This is not like sideloading Android apps. It's a BAR file, regular native BB10 app.

You download Sachesi (ONE single executable file), double-click it, click the "INSTALL" tab, drag the BAR file onto the window, done.
    dude I totally agree that it's super easy, but I hate to say it, I don't see my mother or most of my friends doing it.
    12-19-13 10:34 PM

I actually DO understand the aversion... for android apps.

But this isn't an Android app.

The only reason it has to be sideloaded is because BlackBerry won't officially sanction something in BBW that is using a service which is competitive w/ BBW.

However executives have already gone on record encouraging users to install APKs, so it's not like you're doing something that BlackBerry is angry about. I think their decision to block it from BBW at this time is more of a political and business decision re: their relationship w/ Google, than anything to do with thinking it's a fundamentally bad idea.

(Edit: I think it's safe to say that if Crackberry is doing feature articles on some app, the likelihood of that app being fundamentally undesired from BlackBerry's perspective is pretty darn slim. )
    12-19-13 10:34 PM
    Omnitech, you're missing the point. It's a very small user population that's willing to tweak even to that extent.

Some people are deathly afraid of messing with their phones.

There is a bigger picture, though, and that's that APKS are coming soon. If GPlay really IS on board that will be huge.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    ray689 and atjovic like this.
    12-19-13 10:39 PM
    Omnitech, you're missing the point. It's a very small user population that's willing to tweak even to that extent.

Some people are deathly afraid of messing with their phones.

And it is thus my personal opinion that those people should not be installing Android apps (as APKs) at this time.

Because there are a variety of issues that doing so bring up, that a technically unsophisticated user probably shouldn't be getting involved with. They should wait until the Android developer for the app they are interested in chooses to port their App to BlackBerry World (just as a converted Android app if they so choose, but subject to the rules and regulations and standards of BBW), rather than installing a raw Android app.

There is a bigger picture, though, and that's that APKS are coming soon.

They are already here. As far as official support for Google Play, I suspect your guess is as good as mine on that.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 12-19-13 at 11:52 PM. Reason: missing words
    12-19-13 10:55 PM
    so, what your saying is we will end up with a JavDroidQNixBerry os mash up?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:00 PM
    google play is web based store sign in to http://play.google.com use google ID
    12-20-13 07:38 AM
    I actually DO understand the aversion... for android apps.

But this isn't an Android app.

The only reason it has to be sideloaded is because BlackBerry won't officially sanction something in BBW that is using a service which is competitive w/ BBW.

However executives have already gone on record encouraging users to install APKs, so it's not like you're doing something that BlackBerry is angry about. I think their decision to block it from BBW at this time is more of a political and business decision re: their relationship w/ Google, than anything to do with thinking it's a fundamentally bad idea.

(Edit: I think it's safe to say that if Crackberry is doing feature articles on some app, the likelihood of that app being fundamentally undesired from BlackBerry's perspective is pretty darn slim. )
    Totally understand snap is not an APK - and I know people (the average user) just want to plug and play so to speak. I was speaking more to the folks here on CB. If you are on CB you have already gone out to seek knowledge, or share it.

I guess my point is that Google Services is where the magic really is (if you want to run APK's that is). Now, how to get to that point - Google Play etc... is something to be ironed out for the casual user.
    12-20-13 08:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    And where can I get this app that allows OTA bar installation??

Posted via Tecno_n9 Pad using the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-20-13 09:20 AM
    Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:25 AM
    [Speculation] Google play in 10.2.1.14XX-img_20131220_161336.png

Anyone know how to over come this? On my Z30 of course!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:14 AM
761 ... 2021222324 ...