09-29-14 12:44 AM
761 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    That, by the way, is true for Google's Play Store too -- while you can self-sign an APK on Android none of the store environments will accept a self-signed, no-root-chain APK that I'm aware of.

I know Google won't.

Unfortunately that hasn't done much to eliminate the massive amount of malware that gets distributed via Google Play.

According to most of the AV experts, around 99.5% of all mobile malware is found on the Android platform.

And as much marketshare as Android has in the mobile space, they do not have 99.5% marketshare. So that doesn't fully explain it either.
    12-16-13 07:41 PM
    Unfortunately that hasn't done much to eliminate the massive amount of malware that gets distributed via Google Play.

According to most of the AV experts, around 99.5% of all mobile malware is found on the Android platform.

And as much marketshare as Android has in the mobile space, they do not have 99.5% marketshare. So that doesn't fully explain it either.
    Well that's actually kinda simple when you think about it. You need a vetted signing key (the certificate chain must be "good" as Google sees it) to submit to the Play Store.

Gee, I wonder where the problem is....
    12-16-13 07:45 PM
    Actually, it's against the law in the USA.

"Fair Trade laws" were banned in the 1970s.

Later, the workaround that various companies had come up with where they threatened dealers with various sorts of sanctions (ie loss of advertising co-op dollars at minimum, revocation of their dealer license was also possible, etc) if they did not meet their "minimum advertised prices" was also thrown out in various jurisdictions, notably New York.

It appears there is still a lot of state-to-state variation in this, but in general a sweeping lock on the price that a reseller is allowed to sell a product for - particularly if it is sold nationwide - is very hard to maintain without getting into legal trouble.
    I was addressing federal law. Vertical price controls are fine. There was a recent Supreme Court case on this point, Leegin Creative Products.

There will be some variation from state to state. Some states will be more restrictive but the law and thinking on this has changed a lot over the last few years and this is now the law of the land, even in New York.
    12-16-13 07:48 PM
    Would BlackBerry devices still be as secure with the Google Play store on the devices?

Posted via CB10
    No

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    12-16-13 07:55 PM
    I was addressing federal law. Vertical price controls are fine. There was a recent Supreme Court case on this point, Leegin Creative Products.

There will be some variation from state to state. Some states will be more restrictive but the law and thinking on this has changed a lot over the last few years and this is now the law of the land, even in New York.
    This ^^- States (US) can be more restrictive, but where Federal law is more restrictive it becomes the controlling authority. Stare Decisis at the Supreme Court level is rarely (if ever) not followed, but it can be departed from as we have seen in the US of late. (don't ask)

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one from 8:00-5:00 EST.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 08:05 PM
    This ^^- States (US) can be more restrictive, but where Federal law is more restrictive it becomes the controlling authority. Stare Decisis at the Supreme Court level is rarely (if ever) not followed, but it can be departed from as we have seen in the US of late. (don't ask)

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one from 8:00-5:00 EST.

Posted via CB10
    Try to get a discounted Sony or Samsung TV. You can't unless it is a manufacturer sanctioned discount.

A company can control the prices of its own products by making its distributors and retailers agree on minimum prices. But, a company cannot agree with a competitor to charge certain prices. These kinds of horizontal price control agreements are per se illegal.

Why are we discussing this again? I forget.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 08:17 PM
    Minimum advertised price, yes.

Minimum actual selling price, no.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    12-16-13 08:30 PM
    Try to get a discounted Sony or Samsung TV. You can't unless it is a manufacturer sanctioned discount.

A company can control the prices of its own products by making its distributors and retailers agree on minimum prices. But, a company cannot agree with a competitor to charge certain prices. These kinds of horizontal price control agreements are per se illegal.

Why are we discussing this again? I forget.

Posted via CB10
    Ummmm - I wasn't disagreeing with you. Next time I will speak in prose so all can understand

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 08:35 PM
    This thread is way over my head, can all you 160 IQ mensa geeks please talk in plain English so us plebes can understand, thanks I feel like I'm having a discussion with my ex-wife who since our divorce talks like a lawyer because she hung around one for 15 months while our case was settled.

What happened to plain English and people not talking over the heads of others to make them feel all mighty and superior.

Thank you

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    anand_ma likes this.
    12-16-13 08:56 PM
    Ummmm - I wasn't disagreeing with you. Next time I will speak in prose so all can understand

Posted via CB10
    I know. I was just writing to give everyone context.

It's funny how many people think that vertical price controls are still illegal.

I still don't remember why we are on this tangent.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:12 PM
    @lawmanguy this thread has been nothing but tangents. I do anti-trust work everyday unfortunately - on the defensive side.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:49 PM
    So... back to the topic at hand, Google Play on the next version of BlackBerry OS...

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg and Korepab like this.
    12-16-13 09:52 PM
    Google won't "switch" to ART in KitKat on an exclusive basis and may never.

ART is simply a at-load-time compiler as opposed to an interpreter with a cache (which is what the current Dalvik is more-or-less.)

The lines are a lot more blurry than that because Java is a p-code sort of thing anyway.

I find the entire ART thing rather amusing actually, as years ago I argued that Android would eventually find itself backed in a corner due to performance limitations present in interpreted runtime execution environments (such as Dalvik.) I was called all sorts of names by Android apologists who claimed there was no performance penalty and that the Dalvik cache prevented there from being a problem at all. This was before ARMEABI showed up, incidentally.

Then the limitations (both capability and performance) of Java-***-Dalvik got bad enough that Google was basically forced to allow inline native code. But that led to a new problem, because now what Google was trying to avoid with Dalvik in the first place (processor and architecture dependence) suddenly became a hard-stop compatibility problem that will only get worse as new processor families and instructions show up (e.g. ARM's new 64-bit capable CPUs, Intel chipsets, etc.) So now we have "ART" appearing, which is pretty-much what I argued at the time they should have done in the first place... years later.
    Yup. For example: Now that Intel has started to release competitive chips for mobile (the Haswell line) this is issue has become all the more pressing.

Posted via CB10
    epark88 likes this.
    12-17-13 08:12 AM
    Yeah, the amusing part of this is that Google is now making noise about trying to build SERVERS for their infrastructure on ARM-architecture chips.

I find this entire dance to be amusing beyond words, and will be eating much popcorn in the coming year or two......
    12-17-13 08:15 AM
    [Speculation] Google play in 10.2.1.14XX-1387292181391.jpg

WOLES means Slow bro.. Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:59 AM
    Hi

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    12-18-13 12:41 AM
    Hi

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    Waiting for someone to ask about the signature (1829)?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-18-13 01:51 AM
    Signatures don't mean anything leaks do

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:06 AM
    Agree, but where will a leak come from?
    To be honest, IMO, no leak will drop until the official rollout of 10.2.1.xxx. [Opinion]

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    berryabusr88 and buu511 like this.
    12-18-13 02:26 AM
    Signatures don't mean anything leaks do

Posted via CB10
    I can't give you the this 1829
    Because you need username and password to use autoloader. If I can I will immediately

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    berryabusr88 likes this.
    12-18-13 04:48 AM
    But you could always share what new is coming and what all refinements/optimizations are there in the latest spotted OS?
    That should be good as well if leak is not a possible way out.

Though I am hungry for the leak. :P

Because you need username and password to use autoloader. If I can I will immediately

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    12-18-13 06:38 AM
    Off topic, need help, I am on 1055 leak and then we had updates to twitter and LinkedIn apps which are now asking to login again.

But when I try to, it gets stuck at loading accounts screen. Tried deleting and re installing the apps.

Any idea how to resolve it?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:23 AM

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    If this is truly what BlackBerry is doing now to prevent leaks they are about to lose another customer soon. I won't support a draconian company in the long haul.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:43 AM

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    Well that's an interesting twist.. how about some updated bars?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:43 AM
    Well that's an interesting twist.. how about some updated bars?

Posted via CB10
    It can't be done
    I'll keep you posted people

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1829
    12-18-13 09:51 AM
761 ... 1516171819 ...