01-04-14 06:38 PM
47 12
tools
    From what I've heard, 10.3. is well underway, mind blowing new stuff and coming late summer/early autumn.

Posted via CB10
    Don't start with the mind blowing stuff

Now it may well be pretty darn good but don't set it up for a mind blowing status.
    01-03-14 07:11 PM
    Yes, but still I think they should have called the latest update 10.3!

CB10 from the amazing Z10
    There are no big changes in the background, so (native) apps should work mostly the same across 10.2 and 10.2.1. That's probably why both are called 10.2.x.
    10.3 on the other hand will bring new APIs: https://twitter.com/bzubert/status/418760379141865472

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:17 PM
    My Leafs have a better chance of winning the Stanley Cup than the PlayBook getting any further updates.

Z10 on Telus
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    01-03-14 07:20 PM
    10.3 will come for September! When the high end enterprise phones come out for Christmas sale

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:39 PM
    As much as I'd like to believe in what you're saying, I'm pretty sure that you're waaaaaaayyyyy off in your assumption.
    I think you meant to say waaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaay off!
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    01-04-14 12:51 AM
    Honestly I don't know where this kind of stuff comes from.. they've said unequivocally that there will be no future development on the current playbook.. what part of that leads people to think I might still get bb10 or PBOS 3.0?

Love your playbook if you love it... hate it if you hate it. But it will never do anything other then what it does today. My god its 3 years old for goodness sake!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-04-14 01:02 AM
    I haven't heard anything, but I hope it has something to do with the UI in BlackBerry Express and Mockit.

The look and feel of those apps are different from the rest of the OS and I hope that they're a preview of where things are going. Mockit is pretty ugly right now but it's still early on in development

Posted via CB10

Mockit is a 3rd party app. It's not developed by or with BlackBerry in any way. It's UI has less then nothing to do with any upcoming changes that are or aren't happening to bb10.
    01-04-14 01:12 AM
    Couldn't BlackBerry at least put BBM on the playbook? It should not be that difficult and with the camera and video, it makes an excellent chat platform, still making good use of an old product...

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 01:51 AM
    Well, with the frequency of the updates, they will have to go to 11 very soon ... ya know.. 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 ........ 10.9 and 11. Having that extra digit expands the numbers ... just my thoughts
    01-04-14 02:00 AM
    Do elaborate.
    I can't, don't know anything else

Just a guy from BBRY telling me to be patient about the weaker 1899 radio since the official OS is coming very soon. And to wait and see what changes will 10.3. bring when it comes out late summer. He said it will be the biggest leap so far so I just guessed it would be mind blowing since it is a giant step forward just to see the difference between 10.1. and 10.2.1. I couldn't resist and asked if they are planning to put the ios inside, now that we have a better android then android. He just smiled and said nothing
    01-04-14 02:54 AM
    I can't, don't know anything else

Just a guy from BBRY telling me to be patient about the weaker 1899 radio since the official OS is coming very soon. And to wait and see what changes will 10.3. bring when it comes out late summer. He said it will be the biggest leap so far so I just guessed it would be mind blowing since it is a giant step forward just to see the difference between 10.1. and 10.2.1. I couldn't resist and asked if they are planning to put the ios inside, now that we have a better android then android. He just smiled and said nothing
    Did he smile and say nothing because iOS coils never legally be emulated inside of BlackBerry 10?

Amongst other technical hurdles.

Nice try, though.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-04-14 03:16 AM
    2.1 is the same as 10.2.1 omg

2+1=3!!!
    HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.

Making breakfast on the back of my Z10
    01-04-14 03:17 AM
    Did he smile and say nothing because iOS coils never legally be emulated inside of BlackBerry 10?

Amongst other technical hurdles.

Nice try, though.
    Hey, that ios thing was a joke. Had nothing to do with 10.3. I just didn't know what to ask since he would't give away anything and I understand that.
    01-04-14 03:19 AM
    I've heard jan 4th all over these forums, but no one has pointed out that's a Saturday
    Surely this is illogical?

Posted via CB10
    As usual it's a hear say that someone had taken it literally. Zero relations with BlackBerry. It's all about bragging right. It's important for someone who is the one who broke the news or someone by 6 degree of separation know someone in the industry. Predicting news from BlackBerry has become throwing mud on the wall game, down the road someone will get it right someday.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-04-14 11:02 AM
    From what I've heard, 10.3. is well underway, mind blowing new stuff and coming late summer/early autumn
    And you heard from this from who and/or where?

EDIT: Just saw you answer several posts above and realize your source is not likely credible on the issue.
    01-04-14 11:08 AM
    My source is a Blackberry employee who works for BB in Europe, who already gave me the heads up on the 10.2.1. so I have no reason to doubt him. He is not trying to sell me anything and has no reason for lying or deceiving. He wouldn't say anything more then that, just that 10.3. is due late summer and is going to be something new, not just a small upgrade from 10.2.1. So I put 2 and 2 together and came up with the "mind blowing" cause if all the new stuff so far came as 10.2.1. and not 10.3. i just can't imagine what will 10.3. bring.

Of course, if he or I are not credible sources, then so be it. I just wanted to share the interesting information I got.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:29 AM
    2.1 is the same as 10.2.1 omg

2+1=3!!!
    HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.

Making breakfast on the back of my Z10
    It's not often that you laugh on crackberry, but you succeeded. Thank you

To the topic: I agree with LP_Rigg; They should however put a new browser on it
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-04-14 12:49 PM
    From what I've heard, 10.3. is well underway, mind blowing new stuff and coming late summer/early autumn.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, heard way to many "mindblowing" predictions in 2013!!!
    01-04-14 12:57 PM
    Well, if coming from 10.0 to installing apps directly from google play (all other great new stuff aside) in 2013 wasn't mind-blowing, don't know what else could be labeled that.

Maybe the new "mind-blowing" iphone 5S?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 01:19 PM
    Hey folks,

I know that the Internet always has the right answers about everything (clearly, it even diagnosed me with PTSD and psychosis...or something like that...) and so, I figured why not use it to answer the question of...

Why did BlackBerry use 10.2.1 and not 10.3? (reference: Software versioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Answer?
    10 (major) . 2 (minor) . 1 (build/maint/revision)

Quite likely in BlackBerry's eyes...
    - The "10" (major version) is likely not to change in the foreseeable future, given they're heavily relying on it for any marketing, device reference, etc.
    - The minor version, in this case, 2; this is likely going to be where major changes occur in the OS, such as API additions/modifications/removal, major feature enhancements, deprecation of legacy elements and so forth.
    - Then you get to the build/maintenance/revision, currently "1"; this is a reference to fixes, updates, and modifications in general to the existing platform without any significant changes to underlying mechanisms (API's, brand new features, etc.)

This is just simple version control, and in fact, made more simple for the end user also. If you notice, many elements also have a fourth control number (ie. 10.2.1.2095), more often used for change iterations. We can assume that there was approximately 2095 "code check ins" on the 10.2.1 branch, and in turn, the 10.2 trunk.

When BlackBerry decides that 10.2 has reached a level where the trunk ("2") requires a bump, due to major functional changes to the core OS, they'll bump it to 3, resulting in what will be the 10.3 trunk. Then we'll see 10.3.0, and iterations such as 10.3.0.455, and perhaps a subsequent "beta" path of 10.3.1.122.

You can take this all for what it's worth, but I'm hoping that it helps some folks truly understand the path that BlackBerry is taking when versioning their OS.

Thanks,

--
    Adam (@young_adam on Twitter)
    01-04-14 05:16 PM
    I heard that too, that someone was Gary Klassen.
    Not sure if this rumour is true, however, Gary is in fact, in Sweden with the TAT guys.
    Time will tell.
    Thanks for that. It appears Gary Klassen is now Principal Architect at BlackBerry Sweden.
    01-04-14 06:24 PM
    The odds of this happening are about 10 to 1 against
    Wow!

Z on Channels
    01-04-14 06:38 PM
47 12