08-13-15 12:53 AM
702 ... 678910 ...
tools
    And to think, once upon a time we actually worked as a team. And people didn't like that. Hmm.
    This thread is one of the most awesomest things that have ever happened. Ever. (popcorn)

To throw a monkey wrench in the works, there was one specific OS (think it was one of the Dev OS that we loaded upgraded apps on) that did the exact same thing to my VZW Z30. The weird part, it has not ever done it before or since. It was the one OS only. I autoloded over it and was fine. Useless info I know. But the crazy thing sis it happened to a device that does not have the ongoing issue as the others.

I'm throwing a wack guess here that it has to do with a defect with one revision of one or more components that made their way into the production line. Hardware.

TLDR; huge thanks to all that are trying to help! Epic effort.

Edit: pretty sure it was the early 10.3.0 devs and I reverted to 10.2.1 I believe.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 10:08 PM
    If it is hardware, considering the diversity of devices, it would almost certainly be a rare defect in one part.

watch me keep pulling guesses outa my arse
    jpvj likes this.
    11-19-14 10:34 PM
    Put some red scotch tape over the led. Now it's a red led problem.... sorry. ;-)

Z10 STL 100-3 OS 10.3.1.1151
    jpvj likes this.
    11-19-14 10:50 PM
    If it is hardware, considering the diversity of devices, it would almost certainly be a rare defect in one part.

watch me keep pulling guesses outa my arse
    OK, ok, your right. Haha. I said it was whack, didn't I?

But seriously the BlackBerry Protect tangent is most interesting.

I'm not helping, but at least I'm having fun.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 11:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    You?!?

Put some red scotch tape over the led. Now it's a red led problem.... sorry. ;-)

Z10 STL 100-3 OS 10.3.1.1151
    Oh no you didn't. Oy!

LoL
    11-19-14 11:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Been a few instances of Protect causing restore issues recently. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility it causing this one, but I don't put much weight in it.
    11-19-14 11:14 PM
    Been a few instances of Protect causing restore issues recently. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility it causing this one, but I don't put much weight in it.
    And the mystery continues. It will require as said above someone sending in an affected device to the proper escalation engineers. They will sort it out.

The only trouble with that tack is we may never find out what the true RCA was.

No matter. As long as it is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-14 12:47 AM
    Sorry guys, I fell asleep between two reboots.
    So it seemed for me, though i was very tired, that some minor settings could stick, but not a single app install. (either bb app, or something downloaded from bbw)
    Now the phone is on 997 with apps from 1004, also backup is restored and works as expected.

Thanks for the advices but none of them worked, unfortunately.
    Uzi and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-20-14 12:58 AM
    And the mystery continues. It will require as said above someone sending in an affected device to the proper escalation engineers. They will sort it out.

The only trouble with that tack is we may never find out what the true RCA was.

No matter. As long as it is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Few problems with this. The carrier won't escalate to BlackBerry before the phone is on official, aka the catch 22 problem. BlackBerry while interested won't see enough volume of issue to do work for free. No one here I'll bet is willing to pay BlackBerry service fees, or live without their phone for weeks. We still don't know how the phones will be have when an official 10.3.1 is released.

Keep thinking and posting!
    11-20-14 01:20 AM
    Few problems with this. The carrier won't escalate to BlackBerry before the phone is on official, aka the catch 22 problem. BlackBerry while interested won't see enough volume of issue to do work for free. No one here I'll bet is willing to pay BlackBerry service fees, or live without their phone for weeks. We still don't know how the phones will be have when an official 10.3.1 is released.

Or you can lend Adam a phone for week...

*run away*

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    11-20-14 01:38 AM

I would pay the $49 instantly if I had the device and T-Support would handle it. I doubt regular T-Support will handle this issue as long as it's non-public though.

So either we have to go through the beta program support for 10.3.1 or someone must know somebody at BB close to the OS team. Both requires an affected device.
    11-20-14 02:11 AM
    I would pay the $49 instantly if I had the device and T-Support would handle it. I doubt regular T-Support will handle this issue as long as it's non-public though.

So either we have to go through the beta program support for 10.3.1 or someone must know somebody at BB close to the OS team. Both requires an affected device.
    Where did $49 come from?
    11-20-14 07:24 AM
    Where did $49 come from?
    For the beer, obviously, lol.

I agree it's exciting seeing all this guys work out their brains to solve this. And, as for us, well, I don't know nothing about it, but got me thinking.. it would be nice to have a blue color led on the boot up! I like it better than the ol' red
    11-20-14 07:46 AM
    Can someone describe the correct LED behavior when booting? Does it only turn red when the power cycles, or is it red throughout the boot process?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 10:27 AM
    Where did $49 come from?
    Pay-per-incident fee for device related issues when opening a case directly with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-14 12:20 PM
    Can someone describe the correct LED behavior when booting? Does it only turn red when the power cycles, or is it red throughout the boot process?

Posted via CB10
    This was part of the reply I got from BlackBerry

The Blue LED is rather confusing for me. Typically, with a reset, there are a few LED behaviours during a reset:
    1. A quick Red LED (a second or so). This is just a normal post code on start-up
    2. A Long Red LED (about 5 seconds). This is a full hard reset, seen when holding the power button for 5-10 seconds.
    3. Disco LED (sequentially r?unning through each and every colour). This is something that should only be seen on beta releases with integrated logging (very rare to see outside of internal devices or carrier approval devices). The LED pattern indicates that it's collection information.

Additionally, there are the Red LED post codes for failed start ups (example 2 short flashes indicates an OS mismatch or invalid OS load - please reload the software). Other than that, I'm not aware of any other LED during a restart... So unfortunately, I'm not sure what that could be. =(

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:24 PM
    Pay-per-incident fee for device related issues when opening a case directly with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Must have changed pricing considerably, or that number will escalate if there's hardware to replace. I called because I wore out my 8100 membrane about 6 years ago, and only second rate aftermarket were available. They quoted me $200 to fix in house. Needless to say, I offered a few choice words while declining, LoL.
    11-20-14 12:27 PM
    This was part of the reply I got from BlackBerry

The Blue LED is rather confusing for me. Typically, with a reset, there are a few LED behaviours during a reset:
    1. A quick Red LED (a second or so). This is just a normal post code on start-up
    2. A Long Red LED (about 5 seconds). This is a full hard reset, seen when holding the power button for 5-10 seconds.�
    3. Disco LED (sequentially r?unning through each and every colour). This is something that should only be seen on beta releases with integrated logging (very rare to see outside of internal devices or carrier approval devices). The LED pattern indicates that it's collection information.

Additionally, there are the Red LED post codes for failed start ups (example 2 short flashes indicates an OS mismatch or invalid OS load - please reload the software). Other than that, I'm not aware of any other LED during a restart... So unfortunately, I'm not sure what that could be. =(

Posted via CB10
    So we've confirmed it's not normal.
    11-20-14 12:31 PM
    Regarding BlackBerry Protect as a potential source of the issue, wouldn't using a new Blackberry ID on the device(s) in question help eliminate that as a potential source of the problem?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 04:33 PM
    OK. You're not going to believe it. I'm not sure I believe it yet, but I've rebooted a dozen times now and no blue startup led anymore. I've had it for the last year. I'm actually kind of missing it.

Anyway, long story, but this is what happened.

I was reading this post last night, and my phone popped up the 20% battery remaining message, so figured I would swap the battery.

I turned off the phone by holding the power button for three seconds, then set it down to grab the spare battery. When I came back and picked up the phone, I accidentally hit the power button and turned it back on again. I didn't want to wait for it to boot up again so I could shut it down again to replace the battery. So, as fast as I could, I pulled off the case, peeled off the back cover, and pulled the battery. It was right after the white BlackBerry logo gets brighter.

Then I regretted it. Instead of putting the charged battery right in, I put the used one back on the charger and put it away. I felt like I was gonna have problems booting when I put the new battery in. Maybe I shouldn't have pulled the battery. Anyway, after 2-3 minutes, I pushed the power button a couple of times, to get rid of any remaining juice.

Once I put the charged battery in, the first thing I noticed was the blue led was gone. I thought maybe I pushed too hard when putting the back cover back on. Maybe I damaged the led. As soon as it booted, though, I got red notification led. Then I checked BBVE, and it showed all led colors just fine.

I've rebooted a dozen times. Still no blue led. I think I shocked it. I still believe it's an NVRAM flag of some kind that points to another partition.

Other than that, I don't have anything else to report. I've been working all day. Haven't had a chance to try installing 10.3.1. I'm on 10.2.1.3442 now and haven't seen any other differences.

I miss the blue led. It let me know the Hub was done indexing. Now I'm going in to early and having to wait because it seems to go slower if you open it before it's ready(still just a few seconds).

I'm also worried about having some of the problems others are having with the leaks. I'm so burnt out on installing leaks. I'm not sure what I'll do. What if setup won't work/connect with link now?

Lastly, I'm afraid the blue led will come back, even though I sort of miss it. But, I gotta know if the new OS will work, even if I break it. So, I'll probably be back with more info as soon as I have any.

I'm really happy, and confused. It will be wonderful if it's fixed.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-14 04:50 PM
    LoL @ miss the blue LED. Shadup!
    11-20-14 05:25 PM
    How about an answer instead of the usual blaming it on the user. If you scroll down you will see that it is INDEED not the user. I am not sure if it s hardware problem, but Matercarsheas was SURE it was the users issue. At least we know it seems to be neither so Don't just jump on me. It is a problem and we would all like it fixed. Simple as that.
    11-20-14 05:31 PM
    How about an answer instead of the usual blaming it on the user. If you scroll down you will see that it is INDEED not the user. I am not sure if it s hardware problem, but Matercarsheas was SURE it was the users issue. At least we know it seems to be neither so Don't just jump on me. It is a problem and we would all like it fixed. Simple as that.
    You are going to ruin your own thread, if you can't rein in that attitude.
    zephyr613 and jpvj like this.
    11-20-14 05:36 PM
    OK. You're not going to believe it. I'm not sure I believe it yet, but I've rebooted a dozen times now and no blue startup led anymore. I've had it for the last year. I'm actually kind of missing it.

Anyway, long story, but this is what happened.

I was reading this post last night, and my phone popped up the 20% battery remaining message, so figured I would swap the battery.

I turned off the phone by holding the power button for three seconds, then set it down to grab the spare battery. When I came back and picked up the phone, I accidentally hit the power button and turned it back on again. I didn't want to wait for it to boot up again so I could shut it down again to replace the battery. So, as fast as I could, I pulled off the case, peeled off the back cover, and pulled the battery. It was right after the white BlackBerry logo gets brighter.

Then I regretted it. Instead of putting the charged battery right in, I put the used one back on the charger and put it away. I felt like I was gonna have problems booting when I put the new battery in. Maybe I shouldn't have pulled the battery. Anyway, after 2-3 minutes, I pushed the power button a couple of times, to get rid of any remaining juice.

Once I put the charged battery in, the first thing I noticed was the blue led was gone. I thought maybe I pushed too hard when putting the back cover back on. Maybe I damaged the led. As soon as it booted, though, I got red notification led. Then I checked BBVE, and it showed all led colors just fine.

I've rebooted a dozen times. Still no blue led. I think I shocked it. I still believe it's an NVRAM flag of some kind that points to another partition.

Other than that, I don't have anything else to report. I've been working all day. Haven't had a chance to try installing 10.3.1. I'm on 10.2.1.3442 now and haven't seen any other differences.

I miss the blue led. It let me know the Hub was done indexing. Now I'm going in to early and having to wait because it seems to go slower if you open it before it's ready(still just a few seconds).

I'm also worried about having some of the problems others are having with the leaks. I'm so burnt out on installing leaks. I'm not sure what I'll do. What if setup won't work/connect with link now?

Lastly, I'm afraid the blue led will come back, even though I sort of miss it. But, I gotta know if the new OS will work, even if I break it. So, I'll probably be back with more info as soon as I have any.

I'm really happy, and confused. It will be wonderful if it's fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Try installing an app from bbw and reboot. See if it remains.

Via CB10 Runnin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151 Proud Member of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-20-14 05:41 PM
    I'm still on 10.2.1.3442, so I expect it to.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:48 PM
702 ... 678910 ...