08-12-15 11:53 PM
702 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I have a replacement Z10 STL-2 from O2 which has the exact same problem.
    Blue LED on boot.
    Regardless on which 10.3 autoloader I've tried, nothing sticks post reboot. The entire OS factory resets.
    Oddly when booking for the first time, I've never had the initial Welcome Setup Wizard, nor does it start on each "fresh" reboot.
    I have another Z10 and a Z30, neither of which are refurbs, both of which work flawlessly on 10.3.x, and the Welcome Wizard works.
    I've also noticed the refurb Z10 gets hotter under use than my other Zed's, and the battery life isn't as good either.
    The refurb phone is made in Hungary, while the others hail from Mexico. Could this be a clue?
    Rock Star1 likes this.
    11-18-14 03:22 PM
    Thank you for this thread. I'm interested in Mainly Linux 's comment about loading a series of older OSes. Can you elaborate/list them? Or, what you remember.

Thank you,

dviles

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 04:28 PM
    I have one more oddity to toss out, unrelated, but...

One time doing a wipe on the Z30 using SIC 1.2, it held the password through all 5 wipes. If that can happen, what other root security mechanism could be left unknowingly behind.
    11-18-14 05:05 PM
    OP> Interesting... indeed. Thx. for getting my attention.

The NVRAM theory is possible but I *guess* it's not the root cause. Too many are user are affected and way too few for a generic problem. Most of us here has done a lot of different updates and I would have expected a higher failure rate.

Would it be possible for you to film the upgrade using a plain autoloader (which of course wipes the device). Setup the device and perform a reboot, so we can see the exact behaviour?

Have you tried extracting the device debug log after a reboot (when it wipes itself)?

Anybody asked a BB connection about this issue?

Some random thoughts
    • Hardcoded functionality in the OS causing the behaviour. Either they blocked som device ranges or the feature is just buggy.
    • T-Mobile does not seem to be a common denominator (O2 was also mentioned). But since BB and TMO did separate and TMO did not behave very nicely, BB might have chosen to block their devices from 10.3. Anybody with a TMO device able to upgrade? OP did you try with another carriers SIM inserted? The device does remember the last carriers SIM when querying for an update, so if it's carrier related this could be one way to test.
    • A hardware difference in certain production series not being handled well by 10.3.x (yet).

Looking forward to see where this thread goes.
    11-18-14 05:07 PM
    I have a Verizon Z10 factory unlocked device, it is refurbished and ever since 10.2 that came on this phone it would boot up with a blue LED. If i recall correctly the previous refurbished did the same thing, light up the LED blue color.(10.3 leak wasn't out yet so I didn't get to test it on the previous Z10)[I replaced my Z10 often just because of blemishes on the phone scratches etc. thru VZW insurance plan for Asurion]

I did do plenty of Autoloaders for 10.2.1 and all worked well, as soon i hit 10.3 I started having the same issue as OP. No matter how i did the OS update upon a reboot it would wipe the phone from everything apps, BBID sign in. I tried doing the Sachi OTA method, blitz as well. Same result. I would do various test with SIM inserted and without it and always with the same result.

I will call Verizon and get another one sent to me, I will use a dead pixel as an excuse this time and see of this new fresh out of the box phone does the same thing.

I think I should note that i also wiped the phone various times even used SIC wipe. Also restored to official VZW os via link and then would attempt to try installing leaked OSes various 10.3 and 10.3.1 with the same result.

Luckily I have a Q10 that works and updated to 10.3 without any issues via Autoloader.
    11-18-14 05:38 PM
    This question is specifically for the OP, but anyone else having this issue I would be interested in knowing the answer.

Seems from what I am reading all the users that are experiencing this issue are very experienced in installing leaks. (At least that is the vibe I got when basic troubleshooting was started by other users) It is my experience that those very experienced in leaks are also very likely first adopters of leaks. Can we try to find a common trend here and find out what the first 10.3.0 leak installed was and same for 10.3.1. (If both were adopted early, both versions would be helpful)
    11-18-14 06:08 PM
    I have an idea I haven't heard just yet. Has anyone tried updating with Airplane mode on/off...I had a message come in during an update/leak load a long time ago that caused weird issues/soft brick. I have since always used Airplane Mode. Are all these users using Airplane Mode?...just sayin...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 06:45 PM
    I have an idea I haven't heard just yet. Has anyone tried updating with Airplane mode on/off...I had a message come in during an update/leak load a long time ago that caused weird issues/soft brick. I have since always used Airplane Mode. Are all these users using Airplane Mode?...just sayin...

One thing I always do, as well as removing the SD. (Yeah, I know, WTF could that possibly have to do with it)
    11-18-14 06:53 PM
    Also...I have heard wiping electronic hard drives multiple times can be hard on the hardware...maybe there is an error in there somewhere...have you guys tried double loading the os's back-to-back?...just a thought...

11-18-14 06:55 PM
    when this happened on my z10 the only thing that worked was loading the sdk and then thru sachesi installing the missing apps this was the only way the phone would not rewipe itself on reboots
    11-18-14 07:17 PM
    Boy this really has me thinking.

BTW, this is from (of all places) T-Mobile supports docs - states how to perform a "Master reset" from device but interesting to read that a "Master reset with hardware keys" is not available on this model (Q10)

I am sure the OP has tried this, then using Link to install the base OS (10.2.X or whatever) then tried to upgrade to 10.3.X using whatever method(s) he has tried.

Master reset: BlackBerry Q10 | T-Mobile Support

or has he??
    11-18-14 07:53 PM
    Just curious, but during the reboot what does the boot screen say? Normally if will save verifying and securing. Does it say something like verification failed loading defaults or something like that.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1151
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 12:12 AM
    Yeah this happened to my friend using stl1 too
    This is real issue
    Don't know how later BlackBerry push official 10.3.1 will be this happen to the device affected?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 12:28 AM
    And more thing to add he is in beta zone program so he received the OTA update for 10.3.1 os and still the phone factory reset during reboot

BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 12:36 AM
    Many of you mentioned it factory resets the phone, though I mentioned earlier it's not the case. It only revert to the state during upgrade/install. So if you have apps and do non-destructive update it'll remember your settings until the upgrade.

My theory is, that as with a new OS install it keeps a backup of your settings and OS as a fail-over mechanism, it just restore the user file system partition as it was an unsuccessful update, and left the core untouched,

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 12:59 AM
    Many of you mentioned it factory resets the phone, though I mentioned earlier it's not the case. It only revert to the state during upgrade/install. So if you have apps and do non-destructive update it'll remember your settings until the upgrade.

My theory is, that as with a new OS install it keeps a backup of your settings and OS as a fail-over mechanism, it just restore the user file system partition as it was an unsuccessful update, and left the core untouched,

Posted via CB10
    Ah I see that's the case thanks for the correction

11-19-14 01:04 AM
    And more thing to add he is in beta zone program so he received the OTA update for 10.3.1 os and still the phone factory reset during reboot

Then he has free support on BlackBerry. He can just contact them on the email address supplied.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:59 AM
    There must be something that is done to these phones during the refurb process that renders them noticeably different to the "original" models.
    11-19-14 04:42 AM
    I have skimmed through this thread and, despite the rampant attitude and rudeness I will throw out a few ideas.

First, I've seen plenty of statements that users have "nuked." Please confirm that means running cfp nuke -a, and with the latest version of cfp (3.10.0.47).

Also, please confirm that you are running autoloaders built with the latest version of cap (3.11.0.13).

My suggested approach is:

Cfp nuke -a
    Run autoloader (built with newest cap)
    Do not restore
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 06:45 AM
    Things which are happening
    • Has nothing to do with T-mobile
    • Booting/migration scripts for devices currently in production (blue light) are unreliable.
    • The new OS are much larger than the previous ones, the upgrade at boot time can't complete. A dev OS is much smaller
    • When doing a failed non-destructive, you end up messing up your filesystem. Check with an Android file explorer and you might see 2-3 versions of the same folders

Things you can try to do
    • Shrink your live OS before updating
    • Only flash core+radio for a non-destructive upgrade which may stick

Things to think about
    • Are the devices work activated?
    • Was a bad OS flashed at one point which may have damaged the partitions?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 07:52 AM
    I just wanted to say a big thanks to all the people who have provided suggestions for remedial action.

I am having one of those weeks and there is no opportunity to go through another lengthy "install leak/fail/revert" escapade, of which I've done quite a few in the last few months. I fully intend to try some of the suggestions and will report back if there is still no successful solution at that point.

For the benefit of anyone else who might come across this thread, my issue is almost identical to that previously described -

*Q10 100-3

*Originally locked to O2 in the UK. Unlocked officially through O2, now on Vodafone.

*All 10.3 leaks appear to work well, however after the first power off, the phone loses all Apps, settings, contacts etc. and behaves as if it has just been updated and switched on the for the first time.

*The LED on power on, following a leak install, is blue and also stays on an unusually long time - well past the point it would normally go out.

*No "Setup" runs after leak install - everything seems to require manual setup.

*I tried not switching the phone off for several days in case some kind of "bedding in" was required, but with the first power off the same thing occurred.

*I have used Autoloaders, Sachesi, Blitz, Secwipe, non-restoring etc. in a variety of strategies, and all result in failure on first power off.

I hope this information helps someone to come up with more suggestions, although the solution may already be here....

Thanks again to all those taking the time to help out.
    acasas33 and techtechnique like this.
    11-19-14 10:01 AM
    I've updated a Z10 and two Q10s to 10.3.1 wIthout running into this issue. I'm not sure that I can help, beyond just giving advice to do a destructive autoloader flash and not restore anything from any backup.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:31 AM
    Yes fresh install, no logging in
    11-19-14 11:15 AM
    So your fix is doing what has been done a million times over. CFP and run autoloader... Tell me you are joing. Its been done a million times.
    11-19-14 11:18 AM
    Anyone else want to tell me to do a SIC? lol Thanks but no thanks. However there are several people who have actually posted something we have never thought about. Besides the usual "it must be a bad autoload"
    11-19-14 11:19 AM
702 ... 34567 ...