08-12-15 11:53 PM
702 ... 23456 ...
tools
    One other question - when you are running the stable OS are you also running either BBuzz or Hub++?
    11-18-14 12:46 PM
    One other question - when you are running the stable OS are you also running either BBuzz or Hub++?
    None of the above Thamks Zeph!
    11-18-14 12:50 PM
    Rock Star1 is your phone unlocked?

Call it a conspiracy but T-Mobile handsets may be locked or limited to a specific OS (maybe due to a specific device_id - something like you would see in an INF driver installer) given the fact that what has happened between them and BB.

If it isn't, call T-Mobile and say that you wish to unlock your phone. They *should* assist with this and allow you to do so.

Let us know and good luck.
    Last edited by Kamika007z; 11-18-14 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Edited
    11-18-14 12:51 PM
    It is indeed unlocked
    11-18-14 12:53 PM
    Though the last link is specifically for the Smart Card settings - I bring this up because every loader/leak up to 10.2.X did NOT have Smart Card Authentication in the Core OS, it was only until 10.3.X that I saw this first. In the "old" days of BBOS I would have to add the Bar files separate for Smart Card authentication. I am enclosing this as well because I was part of a team the helped develop and test the Smart Card readers for Department of Defense and when the Smart Card reader (Bluetooth) was enabled and paired, the Blue LED would flash on the reader as well as device.

Darcy - is it possible (even remotely) that this might the root cause? I do remember MANY times where a device would revert back to "factory settings" if Smart Card was enabled and no handshake as done PRIOR to a device reboot...
    Anything is possible, however I think the smartcard stuff is in the DEV OS, and since the wipe doesn't happen with the DEV OS I'd be inclined to rule that out. It is probably something that doesn't exist in the DEV OS branch, but does in normal branches.

Something like Retaildemo, or deviceswitch (both of which can be called at startup). I don't think those can be deleted, but there's nothing saying you can't sideload an old old version on top of them THEN delete them and see if the wipes continue. And of course can try with other bar files too. It may be an issue with a bar file too and the only way to test is to delete some.

There's too many possible things and I'd be testing them all if I had a device in this situation, but I don't unfortunately.

I have the STL100-3 just like the OP, but on Rogers. And I've loaded EVERY leak on this phone. Some of them easily 15-20 times, downgraded a few times, bricked a few times, heck I've even loaded a few OSes that never made it out to leak. I have abused this phone really and I still haven't ran into this problem which says it must be relatively uncommon.
    11-18-14 12:53 PM
    "but there's nothing saying you can't sideload an old old version on top of them THEN delete them and see if the wipes continue. And of course can try with other bar files too. It may be an issue with a bar file too and the only way to test is to delete some."

I have done both of these actually.
    11-18-14 12:56 PM
    Dose the size of the OS 10.3 have any effect on such devices?. Have you tried to shrink the OS 10.3 by removing unwanted files and then making your own auto-loader?
    f_d likes this.
    11-18-14 01:05 PM
    You know that is another interesting suggestion. - Do a full wipe. Load a developer OS. Load one of the 10.3/ 10.3.1 full OSes non-destructively (but first - pull out any unnecessary or unneeded bars - like retaildemo, smartcard, etc...)
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 01:08 PM
    OK now this is a good idea indeed. Looks like I will be busy tonight!
    11-18-14 01:09 PM
    UNLOCKING.

UNLOCKING.

UNLOCKING.

Why would unlocking a Blackberry cause it to behave in this way with leaked OSs?
    11-18-14 01:10 PM
    I need more popcorn!!!
    ifraser likes this.
    11-18-14 01:11 PM
    UNLOCKING.

UNLOCKING.

UNLOCKING.

Why would unlocking a Blackberry cause it to behave in this way with leaked OSs?
    While it may be tied to something, it can't be the root cause.

Mine is unlocked
    11-18-14 01:15 PM
    Ah, nuts......

Well it's not carrier. My Q10 was originally on O2, now unlocked and on Vodafone.

The answer's out there somewhere.....
    11-18-14 01:25 PM
    I sure hope so, this is excruciating, break out some more popcorn!
    11-18-14 01:30 PM
    You know that is another interesting suggestion. - Do a full wipe. Load a developer OS. Load one of the 10.3/ 10.3.1 full OSes non-destructively (but first - pull out any unnecessary or unneeded bars - like retaildemo, smartcard, etc...)
    I would like to add, delete the files from the phone before upgrading.
    11-18-14 01:49 PM
    I would like to add, delete the files from the phone before upgrading.
    I have actually done this method however I did it without removing any of the bars. So tonight I will give it a go and let you know.
    11-18-14 01:58 PM
    Also a good suggestion, but I'd take it one step further...

Load Dev OS 997
    Make sure it works.

Load the CORE OS ONLY from 995 - this is the matching full OS to the dev 997 OS. Don't load any other apps at this point.
    - The idea is to do as minor changes as possible to try pinpoint what it is that's causing it, and this is about as minor as it gets.
    - no need to change the radio, 995/997 both use 996 for radio

Then if it's still working, start adding in apps that are missing one at a time (just take from 1016, they're all the same anyway)

FYI, here's a MEGA link to the 995 Core OS bar file. https://mega.co.nz/#!hE1BRRQY!JIHxYU...YUsR0CpHhy8UJI
    69goat likes this.
    11-18-14 02:12 PM
    Anything is possible, however I think the smartcard stuff is in the DEV OS, and since the wipe doesn't happen with the DEV OS I'd be inclined to rule that out. It is probably something that doesn't exist in the DEV OS branch, but does in normal branches
    OK, now you got me thinking - IF the DEV OS holds the users setting, but the full OS does not, then what is the difference - the APPS ) plus some other things) Also, would it be possible to run a "diff" between the 2 different OS (DEV vs Full) to see if there is some sort of "kill code" that would cause a device to revert back to basically factory setting (and no user setting held) upon reboot??

It also kind of reminds me of us having to pull out the Vendor.XML file before loading a leak pre BB10.

Also, since the new 10.3.1.997 DEV Alpha just popped, I am going to try and deconstruct that to see if indeed the Smart Card authentication is included and what dependencies (if any) it might have,
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 02:17 PM
    OK, now you got me thinking - IF the DEV OS holds the users setting, but the full OS does not, then what is the difference - the APPS ) plus some other things) Also, would it be possible to run a "diff" between the 2 different OS (DEV vs Full) to see if there is some sort of "kill code" that would cause a device to revert back to basically factory setting (and no user setting held) upon reboot??

It also kind of reminds me of us having to pull out the Vendor.XML file before loading a leak pre BB10.

Also, since the new 10.3.1.997 DEV Alpha just popped, I am going to try and deconstruct that to see if indeed the Smart Card authentication is included and what dependencies (if any) it might have,
    That's why I suggested using matching DEV/FULL OS Versions. Keep the changes as small as possible to narrow it down and find out exactly what's causing it. There's actually very few differences between 995/997 Core OS beyond the obvious ones crippling 997. For example Blackberry Protect..... hmmm... wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    11-18-14 02:24 PM
    That's why I suggested using matching DEV/FULL OS Versions. Keep the changes as small as possible to narrow it down and find out exactly what's causing it. There's actually very few differences between 995/997 Core OS beyond the obvious ones crippling 997. For example Blackberry Protect..... hmmm... wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    Blackberry Protect.... interesting...Lets take a look at that one.

What does it use? Location Services which may or may not be identified by the blue LED.
    What does it do? If selected, it will RESTORE device - maybe that's what is happening, Protect gets enabled somehow at the reboot and reverts back to the Factory setting or even Last Known Good and boots into a factory reset.

Darcy, I really think you are on to something here.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 02:32 PM
    Blackberry Protect.... interesting...Lets take a look at that one.

What does it use? Location Services which may or may not be identified by the blue LED.
    What does it do? If selected, it will RESTORE device - maybe that's what is happening, Protect gets enabled somehow at the reboot and reverts back to the Factory setting or even Last Known Good and boots into a factory reset.

Darcy, I really think you are on to something here.
    More importantly Blackberry Protect does have the option to remotely wipe your device. (and if there's an error on that, maybe logging into protect and re-sending a wipe command might reset that)

It kinda makes me wish I had one of the affected devices (as a backup device) so I could at least try a lot of this stuff myself.

Instead, let's just keep brainstorming and hopefully we'll come across at least a partial solution.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 02:37 PM
    More importantly Blackberry Protect does have the option to remotely wipe your device. (and if there's an error on that, maybe logging into protect and re-sending a wipe command might reset that)

It kinda makes me wish I had one of the affected devices (as a backup device) so I could at least try a lot of this stuff myself.

Instead, let's just keep brainstorming and hopefully we'll come across at least a partial solution.
    Agreed.

Question though - I just looked at my own BB Protect status just to check and it doesn't display any thing related to the OS version (Like Link or Sachesi or your tool) of the device.
    I thought it used to do that for the device itself - like the old days when you could backup using Protect...
    11-18-14 02:54 PM
    I was just thinking, I do still have a couple of the older Smart Card readers that communicate through Blue tooth to the device. I will try and break one out and test it - provided I can find one of the older Blackberry batteries...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-18-14 03:06 PM
    Getting in here for the Popcorn.....

Posted via CB10
    chopachain likes this.
    11-18-14 03:14 PM
    Does it happen with a fresh os where you don't logon with your bbid? That could eliminate protect as being the issue I would think.

Posted via CB10
    69goat likes this.
    11-18-14 03:21 PM
702 ... 23456 ...