08-12-15 11:53 PM
702 ... 26272829
tools
    Thank you GPuba!

Posted via CB10
    GPuba likes this.
    02-27-15 09:20 PM
    Have a question: This fix is a one-time fix, or every time I want to update my phone / install an autoloader, will need to run this again?
    02-28-15 10:14 AM
    Not, once and forever.

Posted via CB10
    hariainm likes this.
    02-28-15 10:30 AM
    Blackberry Forever!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:50 PM
    Tomorrow I'm gonna look in that exe file to see what magic lies behind...

Posted via CB10
    So sorry it takes more than one day, but my current software cant inspect the file no matter how many time and setting I try. It is protected by some kind of encryption (you dont say) and my computer skill is not that good btw I'm calling my friend who graduated a well-known tech university, see if he can help

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 12:27 AM
    Blackberry Forever!

Posted via CB10
    I like this blackberry. Said the android guy.
    03-02-15 05:17 PM
    What amazed me however, some Q5 worked with the leak without showing the blue led. So, in that case, no need to do the fix. I tried it yesterday for a friend with Q5 and the blue led was not there. Another friend of mine with same Q5 dint have the blue led after updating for him today through the leaked os. Though, I had the blue led on ma Q5, I am happy the fix worked out the solution.
    03-03-15 12:33 PM
    Hope you restarted their phone twice because the blue led comes back after the first restart for q5 if you don't use the fix

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 10:03 PM
    Yeah, I did a restart even more than two times...
    03-04-15 09:45 AM
    Anybody having trouble getting BlackBerry Protect to work after the fix?

It's the only problem I have, and I've rolled back to 10.2.1.2228, 10.2.1.3442, and am now on 10.3.1.2267. All with security wipe after autoloader install.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 01:43 PM
    Anyone tried seeing on what this fix actually does? I remember quite a few knowledgeable people working and brainstorming on this particular issue. Just wondering what wasn't thought of...

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 06:20 AM
    Anyone tried seeing on what this fix actually does? I remember quite a few knowledgeable people working and brainstorming on this particular issue. Just wondering what wasn't thought of...

Posted via CB10
    Purely speculation, but I have a feeling it has something to do with disabling BlackBerry Protect functionality. Does anybody who used this fix currently have full BlackBerry Protect functionality?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    As stated previously, there's no easy way to determine what's happening, however there's some hints.

There's reference to get_InProductionFlag and set_InProductionFlag. It was something that was thought of before, but there was no known way to actually change the value because it's in NVRAM. If a method was known to set those values I'm sure it could have been tried.

I think some techniques were just trying to figure out of there was some version of the OS, or some technique, that could have cleared that value. Other attempts were targeted at things like Protect just because there was no clear answer and anything was worth a try.

There's more hints too that point towards the InProduction flag, or at least some NVRAM value - from the DLLs it has embedded (which can do NVRAM read/write), the speed in which it can determine if your phone is or isn't affected, and so on. It really just seems to be reading a NVRAM value and setting it to clear the issue.

The InProduction flag is what sets the blue light in the startup.sh so I guess that makes sense. How it got set in the first place - don't know.

It might do more, it's hard to say, but even just that one value being changed could be enough.

I never had an affected phone or I would have read that value before applying the fix then see if it changed. My phone is set to 'false'.
    vutranloc likes this.
    03-09-15 09:09 AM
    As stated previously, there's no easy way to determine what's happening, however there's some hints.

There's reference to get_InProductionFlag and set_InProductionFlag. It was something that was thought of before, but there was no known way to actually change the value because it's in NVRAM. If a method was known to set those values I'm sure it could have been tried.

I think some techniques were just trying to figure out of there was some version of the OS, or some technique, that could have cleared that value. Other attempts were targeted at things like Protect just because there was no clear answer and anything was worth a try.

There's more hints too that point towards the InProduction flag, or at least some NVRAM value - from the DLLs it has embedded (which can do NVRAM read/write), the speed in which it can determine if your phone is or isn't affected, and so on. It really just seems to be reading a NVRAM value and setting it to clear the issue.

The InProduction flag is what sets the blue light in the startup.sh so I guess that makes sense. How it got set in the first place - don't know.

It might do more, it's hard to say, but even just that one value being changed could be enough.

I never had an affected phone or I would have read that value before applying the fix then see if it changed. My phone is set to 'false'.
    If your reading your NVRAM that being false, are you doing that with a JTAG or something? Can you change values or force a change? Or does it format itself like PlayBooks did? But it is interesting to know what is actually happening... One thing though, how was this overlooked? How did this even happen? Why did it happen to random devices, what did they miss? These are all questions which make me very worried as a owner of a BlackBerry device.
    03-09-15 12:33 PM
    If your reading your NVRAM that being false, are you doing that with a JTAG or something? Can you change values or force a change? Or does it format itself like PlayBooks did? But it is interesting to know what is actually happening... One thing though, how was this overlooked? How did this even happen? Why did it happen to random devices, what did they miss? These are all questions which make me very worried as a owner of a BlackBerry device.
    Some nvram values are exposed through other utilities like CFP INFO, however I don't think the InProduction flag is.

I've had access to a few utilities in the past that can read a few values like this. In this case it's also fairly easy to determine because the startup.sh script has a line that turns the LED blue if inproduction is set to true, the other utilities are just for confirmation.

How did it get set in the first place? No idea. I can theorize, but nobody outside of Blackberry will ever know the true answer, and even they may not know all the details.

from startup.sh

Code:
    	if [ "${INPRODUCTION_FLAG}" == "1" ]; then
    		WAITFOR "led control" /pps/services/led/control 10
    		echo "blue::on" >> /pps/services/led/control

local MAX_WAIT_LOOPS=10
    		while [ ${MAX_WAIT_LOOPS} -ge 0 ]; do
    			local BLUE_STATUS=$(PPS_VALUE /pps/services/led/status 'blue')
    			if [ "${BLUE_STATUS}" == "on" ]; then
    				Info "Blue LED is turned on by inproduction flag"
    				break
    			else
    				Info "Blue LED (status:${BLUE_STATUS}) is not on. Turn on again"
    				sleep 1
    			fi
    			MAX_WAIT_LOOPS=$((MAX_WAIT_LOOPS-1))
    		done
    	fi
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-09-15 03:45 PM
    Anybody having trouble getting BlackBerry Protect to work after the fix?

It's the only problem I have, and I've rolled back to 10.2.1.2228, 10.2.1.3442, and am now on 10.3.1.2267. All with security wipe after autoloader install.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I was finally able to delete my device from the Blackberry Protect website. It wouldn't let me at first, like normal recently. Then I archived my previous device, logged out, logged back in, and was able to delete the current device.

Then went into protect on the phone and was able to turn it on. It came on instantly without the refresh circle. Then I logged into the website again from the PC and tried locating, sound, message, and lock. All worked perfectly.

I assume the "blue led fix" just altered something in the protect file that had to be recreated.

Now my Z10 on 10.3.1.2267 is working perfectly.
    03-10-15 11:55 AM
    Some nvram values are exposed through other utilities like CFP INFO, however I don't think the InProduction flag is.

I've had access to a few utilities in the past that can read a few values like this. In this case it's also fairly easy to determine because the startup.sh script has a line that turns the LED blue if inproduction is set to true, the other utilities are just for confirmation.

How did it get set in the first place? No idea. I can theorize, but nobody outside of Blackberry will ever know the true answer, and even they may not know all the details.

from startup.sh

Code:
    	if [ "${INPRODUCTION_FLAG}" == "1" ]; then
    		WAITFOR "led control" /pps/services/led/control 10

local MAX_WAIT_LOOPS=10
    		while [ ${MAX_WAIT_LOOPS} -ge 0 ]; do
    			local BLUE_STATUS=$(PPS_VALUE /pps/services/led/status 'blue')
    			if [ "${BLUE_STATUS}" == "on" ]; then
    				Info "Blue LED is turned on by inproduction flag"
    				break
    			else
    				Info "Blue LED (status:${BLUE_STATUS}) is not on. Turn on again"
    				sleep 1
    			fi
    			MAX_WAIT_LOOPS=$((MAX_WAIT_LOOPS-1))
    		done
    	fi
    Thank for that very informative answer. That pretty much answered my whole question in its entirety. But this still gives the question how and why it happened.
    03-10-15 08:57 PM
    Just bumping this thread because many still don't realize a fix exists

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    03-27-15 08:25 PM
    I just stumbled on this thread after posting it months ago. Re-reading it is frustrating. All of the nay-sayers that couldn't fathom the idea of an actual issue just boggles my mind.

I'm glad I stuck it out.

Problem Solved. Thank you BlackBerry.

And BigBadWulf

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-30-15 05:24 PM
    I just stumbled on this thread after posting it months ago. Re-reading it is frustrating. All of the nay-sayers that couldn't fathom the idea of an actual issue just boggles my mind.

I'm glad I stuck it out.

Problem Solved. Thank you BlackBerry.

And BigBadWulf

Posted via CB10
    Hey. What about me? : P

Posted via my Z30
    03-31-15 08:54 PM
    Hey. What about me? : P

Posted via my Z30
    Smurf you!!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    03-31-15 08:58 PM
    You too Mr Freeze!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:15 AM
    Fix worked for me.
    My Z30 has not been able to restart since installing 10.3 without erasing everything including pictures. It has been since January.

The only thing about this fix, is after running it your phone will still be erased one more time on the next reboot.
    Then it will never erase again when you reboot after that.
    04-11-15 08:09 PM
    Fix worked for me.
    My Z30 has not been able to restart since installing 10.3 without erasing everything including pictures. It has been since January.

The only thing about this fix, is after running it your phone will still be erased one more time on the next reboot.
    Then it will never erase again when you reboot after that.
    Yes. I remember it being mentioned in this thread a few times. It's been a while. Now go load up the newest 10.3.1 via autoloader and have a fresh start!

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    mrfreeze likes this.
    04-11-15 08:20 PM
    Any fix for the error "The fix is not applicable to this device"?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 09:21 AM
702 ... 26272829