06-20-13 04:24 PM
33 12
tools
    and found that you have some odd "bugs" that simply won't go away?

This post is for you.

I'll assume your carrier is on 10.0.10.85; the reason for this is that you need to go below the current carrier OS during this process. If you don't you will never get an OTA update and to reload everything "as the carrier gave it to you" that is what you need.

So what we're going to do is use Sachup to obtain the default OS for a given nation, in this case 310 (United States.) Put in "000" for the MCC (carrier); you should get a 10.0.9.x file. Download the debrick files (two) for your device.

Extract from those two files the single ".signed" file within each. You now have an OS and a Radio ".signed" file. Also obtain "CAP." Rename the os file to "os.x.signed" and the radio to "radio.x.signed" (to make it easier to type; you don't need to do this if you don't mind typing 30+ character filenames!)

Type: cap create radio.x.signed os.x.signed 10.0.9.exe

This will create a 10.0.9.exe autoloader.

Flash that file, set up but decline the software update you will be offered and then do a security wipe. You now have a CLEAN 10.0.9 phone.

The phone should, during the setup after the wipe, again offer the online update. This time accept it. That will take some time, perhaps as long as a half-hour or more.

You now have 10.0.10.85 from your carrier and are back to how you got the phone when you bought it. Set that up again with your minimal requirements (log into BlackBerry World, etc)

Now grab the official release you wish to run. Popular choices are 10.1.0.273 (from Rogers and a few other carriers) and 10.1.0.2312 (recent offering) using Sachup. Use Sachibar to load that release over the top of your base carrier OS.

This is essentially the same process that an OTA update takes, but over the USB port.

Now set up your device as if it was new; do not restore from BlackBerry Link.

You'll notice a few interesting things if you go this route, including the fact that your OS release number (on the OS page) will not change. The apparent reason for this is that there's some sort of "Meta" file that is loaded when you do a formal OTA update but is not generated by Sachibar. The other version numbers, however, WILL change.

(This is probably why loading an autoloader blanks this field -- there is simply no entry there at all.....)

Anyway, for those who want a "clean start" and then to bump to one of the OFFICIAL releases, this is how you go about it.....
    sbmd, k_f, Affie36 and 4 others like this.
    05-30-13 11:29 AM

This post is for you.

I'll assume your carrier is on 10.0.10.85; the reason for this is that you need to go below the current carrier OS during this process. If you don't you will never get an OTA update and to reload everything "as the carrier gave it to you" that is what you need.

So what we're going to do is use Sachup to obtain the default OS for a given nation, in this case 310 (United States.) Put in "000" for the MCC (carrier); you should get a 10.0.9.x file. Download the debrick files (two) for your device.

Extract from those two files the single ".signed" file within each. You now have an OS and a Radio ".signed" file. Also obtain "CAP." Rename the os file to "os.x.signed" and the radio to "radio.x.signed" (to make it easier to type; you don't need to do this if you don't mind typing 30+ character filenames!)

Flash that file, set up but decline the software update you will be offered and then do a security wipe. You now have a CLEAN 10.0.9 phone.

The phone should, during the setup after the wipe, again offer the online update. This time accept it. That will take some time, perhaps as long as a half-hour or more.

You now have 10.0.10.85 from your carrier and are back to how you got the phone when you bought it. Set that up again with your minimal requirements (log into BlackBerry World, etc)

Now grab the official release you wish to run. Popular choices are 10.1.0.273 (from Rogers and a few other carriers) and 10.1.0.2312 (recent offering) using Sachup. Use Sachibar to load that release over the top of your base carrier OS.

This is essentially the same process that an OTA update takes, but over the USB port.

You'll notice a few interesting things if you go this route, including the fact that your OS release number (on the OS page) will not change. The apparent reason for this is that there's some sort of "Meta" file that is loaded when you do a formal OTA update but is not generated by Sachibar. The other version numbers, however, WILL change.

(This is probably why loading an autoloader blanks this field -- there is simply no entry there at all.....)

Anyway, for those who want a "clean start" and then to bump to one of the OFFICIAL releases, this is how you go about it.....
    Mind if i just add this info into your Sachup tut in the stickied thread?

Btw great points, even better write up
    05-30-13 12:16 PM
    Go for it.
    05-30-13 01:12 PM
    This way it's in a sticky and I'll link back to here for people to come too

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 01:22 PM
    Sounds good.

BTW one reason you might want to do this is that loading autoloaders has a habit of disabling the Codec that plays AC3 files. This appears to be a licensing issue of some sort and if you have content that stops working you're likely rather unhappy! This path to get current evades that problem.
    05-30-13 01:28 PM
    You can do this too by just bricking ur phone and reloading os to stock with link. It also resets it to factory. Then grabs updates.

Posted from my awesome Z10 via cb10. My Channel pin http://channelpin.com/C000B3B57
    05-30-13 01:37 PM
    How do you go about bricking your phone? I heard all this soft brick etc but have no idea what it is for and how to do it. TIA for the answer.
    05-30-13 01:50 PM
    Start loading an autoloader and then pull the cable (and battery, ultimately) while it's going on.

The phone will refuse to boot and you then use BlackBerrry Link to "recover" from this.

Some folks don't like that idea; this is a no-brick alternative.
    05-30-13 02:12 PM
    I see. So what is "soft brick"? What scenarios do they have to go through to actually go the brick your device way? I'm just curious and think this is useful information.

Lastly, Wigley458's way is risky (although faster) because you can really brick your phone but if not, the end result is the same?

Thank you!
    05-30-13 02:31 PM
    I see. So what is "soft brick"? What scenarios do they have to go through to actually go the brick your device way? I'm just curious and think this is useful information.

Lastly, Wigley458's way is risky (although faster) because you can really brick your phone but if not, the end result is the same?

Thank you!
    Na it's not risky. A bricked phone can always be restored. At least I haven't come across one that couldn't anyway

Posted from my awesome Z10 via cb10. My Channel pin http://channelpin.com/C000B3B57
    snihed likes this.
    05-30-13 02:33 PM

Thank you!
    There is no "Bricking" involved with doing it the way I described it.

There is a small but non-zero risk any time you interrupt a write to NV memory by pulling power. You have to understand how NVRAM works; the write cycles are tightly controlled and getting it wrong can corrupt a page in a way that is difficult to un-screw, or worse, if a write cycle extends the cell can be damaged. The latter is permanent if it happens, incidentally. Most flash controllers have some capability to transparently remap damaged storage locations but that capacity is not infinite.

I avoid pulling power if it can be avoided for this reason. Sometimes you have to, but I don't do it if I can avoid it, and the method I outlined avoids it.
    snihed likes this.
    05-30-13 02:47 PM
    There is no "Bricking" involved with doing it the way I described it.

There is a small but non-zero risk any time you interrupt a write to NV memory by pulling power. You have to understand how NVRAM works; the write cycles are tightly controlled and getting it wrong can corrupt a page in a way that is difficult to un-screw, or worse, if a write cycle extends the cell can be damaged. The latter is permanent if it happens, incidentally. Most flash controllers have some capability to transparently remap damaged storage locations but that capacity is not infinite.

I avoid pulling power if it can be avoided for this reason. Sometimes you have to, but I don't do it if I can avoid it, and the method I outlined avoids it.
    True

05-30-13 02:49 PM
    Na it's not risky. A bricked phone can always be restored. At least I haven't come across one that couldn't anyway
    Right after I got my Z10, I tried to install one of the early leaks. It would go to about 5% and stop. I had the flash code on the LED of 1-3. I was unable to get any farther than that and I was unable to debrick it. I ended up having to return that phone and get another. After a little longer, I tried it again on my laptop, I ended up bricking the second phone. I went upstairs to the desktop computer and tried it again. This time, it worked. Turns out that the issue was my laptop and not the process itself.
    05-31-13 10:15 AM
    Well the guide looks amazing and I am going to try it.
    Bricking has not worked for me and phone refuses get bricked. Personally I feel there is no such thing as "soft brick it"

I wonder why BlackBerry isn't simply giving official autoloader for every realese?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 10:45 AM
    Probably because the releases aren't distributed by BlackBerry per-se; they're under control of the carriers. If the carriers wanted to distribute autoloaders I don't see why they couldn't, but since they all run over OTA there's no real reason for them to do so as anyone on their network is going to get their latest approved code automatically.

Remember that from the carrier perspective they have little (or no!) interest in you running something they haven't tested, as it can (and sometimes does) generate support calls they have to field but lack the experience to handle. From their point of view this is a cost they have little or no reason to take upon themselves.
    05-31-13 11:14 AM
    Well logically correct but I have never used carrier locked phones. Mine have always been factory unlocked carrier neutral devices and same is the case with current Z10. I want (expect) BlackBerry to provide me with official OS which is carrier neutral. We have number portability here so I can switch carriers if their service isn't upto my mark.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:49 AM

This post is for you.

Thanks for this.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    05-31-13 12:00 PM
    My take is that this process is a waste of time. All the files (bars) pushed by carriers are the same. Custom apps and settings are put in place OTA or activated during setup time.

The reasons people are having problems are:
    - Restores. Some leaks/beta are particularly bad and break databases. It's usually best to start from scratch with each dot release and to import your data via a neutral format if you can.
    - Carrier apps/settings do not support this OS version yet. It's like trying to run an app created for Windows XP on Windows 8. You might run into some issues.
    - Radio file has issues with your network.

So if you want to play it safe, just wipe and don't restore and only use versions supported by your carrier.
    05-31-13 03:38 PM
    My take is that this process is a waste of time. All the files (bars) pushed by carriers are the same. Custom apps and settings are put in place OTA or activated during setup time.

The reasons people are having problems are:
    - Restores. Some leaks/beta are particularly bad and break databases. It's usually best to start from scratch with each dot release and to import your data via a neutral format if you can.
    - Carrier apps/settings do not support this OS version yet. It's like trying to run an app created for Windows XP on Windows 8. You might run into some issues.
    - Radio file has issues with your network.

So if you want to play it safe, just wipe and don't restore and only use versions supported by your carrier.
    I have to personally second this motion. As I have been preaching this since the first leaked OS

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:55 PM
    I really appreciate this info.
    Tried it to fix my issues with 2354, but I suspect there's just something my phone doesn't like about it.

If anyone comes across this and is wondering just what the hell CAP is, like I was,
    I found a download link here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-ti...5/#post8423142
    05-31-13 04:07 PM
    I really appreciate this info.
    Tried it to fix my issues with 2354, but I suspect there's just something my phone doesn't like about it.

If anyone comes across this and is wondering just what the hell CAP is, like I was,
    I found a download link here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-ti...5/#post8423142
    Long story short CAP is a pre built base autoloader for those who don't know how to work with HEX Codes

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 04:25 PM
    Long story short CAP is a pre built base autoloader for those who don't know how to work with HEX Codes
    Thanks. I definitely don't feel like editing HEX codes to make an autoloader. So finding CAP was nice.
    I was just going a little crazy when I decided to try it with the debrick files from Sachup, saw CAP mentioned, and started looking through the thread for a link, looking in the Sachup folder, etc. What is CAP? Where is CAP? Am I supposed to have CAP already because I can't find it.
    05-31-13 10:18 PM
    Thanks. I definitely don't feel like editing HEX codes to make an autoloader. So finding CAP was nice.
    I was just going a little crazy when I decided to try it with the debrick files from Sachup, saw CAP mentioned, and started looking through the thread for a link, looking in the Sachup folder, etc. What is CAP? Where is CAP? Am I supposed to have CAP already because I can't find it.
    I actually listened to all that CAP talk and was like WTF myself until I dl'd it

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:03 PM
    I have to personally second this motion. As I have been preaching this since the first leaked OS

Posted via CB10
    As some who never restores when loading a leak, I'll second Kris' seconding.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-01-13 12:39 AM
    Alright...tried this and let me say it works like butter....i have not loaded leak this time but my experience supersedes the latest leak I had installed. I am on STL100-1.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:38 AM
33 12