08-16-16 08:12 AM
104 ... 2345
tools
    I thought that Blackberry was no longer interested in selling to consumers. So no problem!

I don't know what numbers I was supposed to pick out of that article but I do not agree that Blackberry would need an ecosystem anything like the Playtore or the Apple store. I don't think it needs much at all except Docstogo, a music player and a browser. The target market would know that it's not getting the latest apps and can live with it.

Posted via CB10
    Who on earth do you think they're going to market and sell too? Prosumers may not need as many apps, but their needs are more critical than consumers, and those provided phones by their employer keep shrinking.
    Laura Knotek and Coachbulldog like this.
    08-08-16 02:37 PM
    It already had that and BlackBerry could never make show positive cash flow let alone profits since 2013. The infrastructure to support BB10 is too expensive for even minimal levels. Your strategy is basically what TH was doing that burned up all BlackBerry's cash and they flirted with bankruptcy. The board and Fairfax brought in JC to do exactly the opposite.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You are oversimplifying and presuming cause and effect. Many others are too.
    08-09-16 03:59 AM
    Depends on what you have installed. I had a bunch of updates through BlackBerry World last week (and at least one during other weeks) so there are multiple devs active still. I find it insulting to them when someone says there are none left. They deserve a lot of praise for not giving up on us and our platform.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    The insult is from BB itself. They are in neglect of their eco system, now BB Blend has bitten the dust. It's announced EOL. Slowly we're seeing this decline and yes there are those that are persistent which is good for us. But in general the platform is already EOL. BB is signalling this all the time, first the introduction of the android phone was a huge signal flag and now major delays on software updates. EOL of facebook app, whatsapp will also be dropped support for. All these major players are getting away from the platform.

I don't like it as much as anyone else here, I have the passport as my only phone and I'm forced to use 90% of my apps to be Android apps missing the key functionality like the Hub. So yea, it's an insult to us consumers BB is burning down OS10
    BUSPBP and moyah8 like this.
    08-09-16 04:34 AM
    You are oversimplifying and presuming cause and effect. Many others are too.
    What part is oversimplification? It's part of BlackBerry history...

08-09-16 02:12 PM
    What part is oversimplification? It's part of BlackBerry history...

It is oversimplification to presume that lack of apps was the reason that BB10 failed.

Was this also the reason why the Priv failed? No? It was overpriced? Was that the only reason, or were there multiple reasons? After DTEK fails, it can't be apps and it can't be price. Then what will it be? The brand? Nothing with Blackberry on it can possibly ever sell? I presume that will be the new explanation.

My point: There are many reasons why a complex electronic device could fail in the marketplace. Many people say over and over again that BB10 failed to sell better because of lack of apps. This might be an issue they personally had with it, but many other people would use it anyway, IMO. I fit in that category as do others on CB. BB10 is that important to our work.

In my humble opinion, the real problem was that by the time the OS became mature and highly functional and devices like the Z30 and Passport were available, Blackberry had severe brand image and consumer awareness problems. When Chen came on board, I fully expected that Blackberry would deal with these issues through strategic marketing campaigns -- like a normal consumer electronics business would. Instead, Chen squirreled away Blackberry's cash or spent it on acquisitions. Everyone said, "It's OK not to spend money on marketing because we are now just targeting 'prosumers.'" Then everyone said, "It's OK to not spend money on marketing because we are just targeting 'industry.'"

OK, where are all the "prosumer" and "industry" sales? What happened with all the wining and dining of IT managers? Did that ever even happen?

When BB10 could have hit its stride, no one knew about it. Anyone carrying a BB10 device knows this to be the case then and today. No one knows that BB still exists. This is why when people say lack of apps killed Blackberry, I cringe.
    moyah8 likes this.
    08-09-16 04:56 PM
    Mark, there are many reasons BB10 failed, but most would put the lack of apps at the top. Were it not for Cobalt, as huge a fan as I am, I'd have to give it up, and how many outside the forum would bother, but...
    Even if every CrackBerry member purchased each model, that still wouldn't be enough to make BB10 successful. Beyond apps, as I've listed before, you have an unfinished OS well past when the Z30 was released, a abysmal desktop software, stripped down BlackBerry Protect, average hardware at best till the Passport, no BIS support, and a for sale sign adding to the belief BlackBerry was dead, to name a few. You may believe marketing could overcome all that, but you are in the extreme minority, even among the most ardent supporters, of which I count myself.

Fix all that, and you still have an app gap that has also crippled Microsoft, with all their money and influence.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-09-16 08:50 PM
    I am so tired of reading, on Crackberry of all places, all of the negative and petty comments about BlackBerry, about the current status, about leaks, about updates, and about the future.

If you don't like it, leave!!

This is, hands down, the BEST OS. You love it or you wouldn't use it. If you don't like it, go back to wherever you jumped ship from. You have no loyalty to the brand, you are immature in your reality of what the phone and OS is, does, is securely capable of facilitating. I'm tired of your Whining!!!

If you can't appreciate the product, and expect, like Apple or Samsung, to produce a new phone every year, you should definitely go Android or Apple and spend your life being manipulated by that philosophy. It's apparent that they are all only interested in your wallet, and not a good stable cost effective product.

I could Rant all day about how tired I am, but instead I am just. Wishing that you would all either grow up, or leave!!

Posted via CB10
    Calvin, isn't this a complaint?

I'm only joking. BlackBerry users are often smart and contrarian, and also the brand has taken so many hits, a fan such as myself often feels the urge to instruct Chen and BlackBerry how to do their jobs. Thank goodness I am not a shareholder or I would probably give in to temptation.

Crackberry is a special place. There are other boards that celebrate the brand but Crackberry stands above them all, and I agree that the negativity is out of hand. This used to be a place to talk about how to wring every possible efficiency out of BlackBerry devices, where we all waited breathlessly for the latest leaked OS and posted two hundred times in a day to be the first to note new features.

I miss that place.

And without no offense to anyone intended, the slide to negativity also paced the focus on consumer use over pro use.

Then there is one other thing. I hate to mention it for fear of being negative. But after I bought 5 PlayBooks for my small office, to go without our BES that I figured out myself, and our BlackBerry phones that I was so proud of that I supplied one to every employee, well, that PlayBook debacle really changed my outlook. I felt lucky to get 75 bucks each for them on eBay after paying hundreds and hundreds only months before . I'm still a fan, but a leery one.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-09-16 08:55 PM
    Mark, there are many reasons BB10 failed, but most would put the lack of apps at the top. Were it not for Cobalt, as huge a fan as I am, I'd have to give it up, and how many outside the forum would bother, but...
    Even if every CrackBerry member purchased each model, that still wouldn't be enough to make BB10 successful. Beyond apps, as I've listed before, you have an unfinished OS well past when the Z30 was released, a abysmal desktop software, stripped down BlackBerry Protect, average hardware at best till the Passport, no BIS support, and a for sale sign adding to the belief BlackBerry was dead, to name a few. You may believe marketing could overcome all that, but you are in the extreme minority, even among the most ardent supporters, of which I count myself.

Fix all that, and you still have an app gap that has also crippled Microsoft, with all their money and influence.
    The unfinished business you cite is true of many nascent OS's... even certain Android apps. How was the Hub on Android when first released?

But a bad launch is not enough reason to abandon the whole ship. The boardroom debacle STILL isn't fixed and hurts them with whatever trinkets Chen wants to pawn off on businesses. That's not a reason to ditch a mutlibillion dollar investment either.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 05:12 AM
    The Android devices won't sell any better than BB10, but they will cost less to produce. That seems to be the only positive about the whole thing.

I think now, with Blackberry reduced to rebranding other companies' products and selling their (rather mediocre) software to Android users for 99 cents a month, we're already pretty much at the stage where they aren't making worthwhile hardware any more.
    08-10-16 05:43 AM
    There should produce software that can be loaded on any phone. You dont have to manufacture their own phones entirely.
    08-10-16 07:06 PM
    The Android devices won't sell any better than BB10, but they will cost less to produce. That seems to be the only positive about the whole thing.

I think now, with Blackberry reduced to rebranding other companies' products and selling their (rather mediocre) software to Android users for 99 cents a month, we're already pretty much at the stage where they aren't making worthwhile hardware any more.
    That virtual keyboard is pretty damn good. If I did not hate Google so much, would have to consider a BB Android after BB10 dies altogether and cannot be used anymore.

Maybe Blackberry could make some other apps for the Play store. Like dating apps focused on jilted former BB10 users!
    08-10-16 07:20 PM

Is it rebranding to modify the hardware, external and internally, and the software?

What's mediocre about it?

Keyboard is tops.

Dtek security is tops.

Kernel hardening and checksum is tops.

If you don't like hub why are you here? Tops.

Calendar is tops. Joins you to dial in conferences. Easy to use.

Contacts does it all.

What am I forgettting?

Zero day updates? Tops.

Virtual assistant checks your whole phone. Tops.

All of it is free on the monthly charge to other android owners who use the software (but don't get the security).

I don't mean to call you out but this thread is about stopping the negativity. Instead of addressing that, you shoot negative. That's fine--everyone gets an opinion-- but what is so mediocre about BlackBerry's additions?

And yes it is a mid level phone. It was released as such, BELOW expected price. That's because it is intended for work, not play,. Priv was supposed to be the flagship, not the DTEK 50.

BlackBerry phones have typically had low specs, because they had what was needed for intended use (and therefore extended battery life).

The Moto X Pure was not a top spec phone when released and had only a few software mods. They sold like hotcakes.

08-11-16 12:33 AM
    Is it rebranding to modify the hardware, external and internally, and the software?

Keyboard is tops.

Dtek security is tops.

Contacts does it all.

What am I forgettting?

Zero day updates? Tops.

All of it is free on the monthly charge to other android owners who use the software (but don't get the security).

I don't mean to call you out but this thread is about stopping the negativity. Instead of addressing that, you shoot negative. That's fine--everyone gets an opinion-- but what is so mediocre about BlackBerry's additions?

And yes it is a mid level phone. It was released as such, BELOW expected price. That's because it is intended for work, not play,. Priv was supposed to be the flagship, not the DTEK 50.

BlackBerry phones have typically had low specs, because they had what was needed for intended use (and therefore extended battery life).

The Moto X Pure was not a top spec phone when released and had only a few software mods. They sold like hotcakes for a lot more money than a dtek50.

08-11-16 12:41 AM

Keyboard is tops.

Dtek security is tops.

Contacts does it all.

What am I forgettting?

Zero day updates? Tops.

The Moto X Pure was not a top spec phone when released and had only a few software mods. They sold like hotcakes.

It's yet another Android phone with features that are available elsewhere. And it doesn't even have a PKB.

Yawn.
    elfabio80, moyah8 and Coachbulldog like this.
    08-11-16 05:08 AM
    It's yet another Android phone with features that are available elsewhere. And it doesn't even have a PKB.

Yawn.
    Hahahaa. Okay.

I don't like the lack of a PKB either. I've never had a VKB-only BlackBerry phone. But lots of Priv owners dont use the PKB and BlackBerry has sold slab phones for awhile now. And the Android people BlackBerry is trying to attract universally think PKB's are ********.

Sorry for the double post, above. I don't know how that happened.

08-11-16 11:46 AM
    Hahahaa. Okay.

I don't like the lack of a PKB either. I've never had a VKB-only BlackBerry phone. But lots of Priv owners dont use the PKB and BlackBerry has sold slab phones for awhile now. And the Android people BlackBerry is trying to attract universally think PKB's are ********.

Sorry for the double post, above. I don't know how that happened.

If Android people think PKB's are awful, then I wonder why the Motorola Milestone series was so successful and there are still quite a lot of people asking Motorola for a new Milestone phone.

08-11-16 02:45 PM
    If Android people think PKB's are awful, then I wonder why the Motorola Milestone series was so successful and there are still quite a lot of people asking Motorola for a new Milestone phone. Sure, they are not the majority but no minority either.

But Passport and BB10 ftw for me

08-11-16 02:45 PM
    If Android people think PKB's are awful, then I wonder why the Motorola Milestone series was so successful and there are still quite a lot of people asking Motorola for a new Milestone phone.

I don't think it is an if. Watch any review of a PKB device. Well, maybe I should say reviewers generally don't understand the need for a PKB. But in my personal experience no one else does, either. I always get a comment when I whip out a PKB. Always. Every time. And not a nice one. More of an amused one.

08-11-16 07:06 PM
    I don't think it is an if. Watch any review of a PKB device. Well, maybe I should say reviewers generally don't understand the need for a PKB. But in my personal experience no one else does, either. I always get a comment when I whip out a PKB. Always. Every time. And not a nice one. More of an amused one.

You should try carrying a Passport. People are more than impressed. Women love them in particular.
    08-12-16 12:12 AM

I wasn't talking about reviewers, I was talking about actual users. Reviewers always seem to have different standards and different needs.

08-12-16 12:49 AM
    You should try carrying a Passport. People are more than impressed. Women love them in particular.
    I have one. I love it.

I have never seen another one in the wild. Not once in my presence. Nor ANY other keyboard phone. Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, all of East Texas. Nada. None.

08-12-16 01:12 AM
    I wasn't talking about reviewers, I was talking about actual users. Reviewers always seem to have different standards and different needs.

Fair enough. I remember about of pkb phones, but they just aren't around anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like vkb phones. But I've bought several.

08-12-16 01:16 AM
    Fair enough. I remember alot of pkb phones, but they just aren't around anymore.

I dont know why I am getting the double post. Can anyone delete this?

08-12-16 01:17 AM
    I have one. I love it.

I have never seen another one in the wild. Not once in my presence. Nor ANY other keyboard phone. Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, all of East Texas. Nada. None.

Nor have I seen another Passport. I did have a business associate show up with a Classic once. We knew we had something in common that was important.

Only one person who asked about my Passport knew what it was. Nearly everyone says that they didn't know that Blackberry was still in business. Seriously. 90%.
    08-12-16 02:48 AM
    Nor have I seen another Passport. I did have a business associate show up with a Classic once. We knew we had something in common that was important.

Only one person who asked about my Passport knew what it was. Nearly everyone says that they didn't know that Blackberry was still in business. Seriously. 90%.
    The Passport sold fairly well here. Big, popular phone shop Belsimpel.nl even had the Passport in their top 5 best sold phones for at least 3 months since they started selling it. Nevertheless, a lot of people here do think BlackBerry is out of business. No one ever told me that upon seeing my Passport, but they did tell my mum a few times upon seeing her Passport.

I've seen a lot of people with BBOS7 phones over the years here and I still see them in the wild every now and then.

08-12-16 03:56 PM
104 ... 2345