06-24-14 12:27 PM
79 1234
tools
    This is extremely encouraging.

I have a sense of where the marketing may be going here; when the new BB models are released here, they will be promoted as having a high degree of Android compatibility (with the usual caveats), and that BB10 users will not only have the most secure OS and the most efficient communications, but potentially an even bigger app ecosystem than Apple's.

I know there's the whining from people who profess to abhor "anything but native" apps, but this really is the only remotely viable way forward for BB as a device manufacturer. This new runtime looks to improve usability considerably.
    From the .512 pics thread, it looks like BlackBerry will have an option available to guard against the installation of insecure apk files. If Blackberry can really present a no-compromise app experience that has security advantages over Android, I have to think there is a market for that. Blackberry just has to get that message out and, for once, market effectively.
    05-17-14 07:25 PM
    very impressed. Waiting my Q5 arriving to try the 10.3
    05-17-14 07:52 PM
    Thank you.

Q10 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gnderildi
    05-17-14 08:05 PM
    That vid looks like a Nex 4 vs Galaxy S2 for load times so BB still has alot of work to do but much better I agree.
    05-17-14 09:00 PM
    Excellent comparison. I really appreciate the time you put into that. Things are definitely looking up on the cross compatibility front for Android apps on BB10.

My apologies for the offhand type question or if this has been asked already, but given the new runtime and advantages it presents, will I be able to run the OpenVPN Android iteration fully? I believe this answer is still no, as it needs access to the root, correct? I was just hoping to get confirmation on this.
    05-17-14 09:16 PM
    They should really make every app close from the portrait bezel even in landscape to prevent the confusion.

Other wise looks good.

Posted via CB10
    It does if you hold the phone up vertically. In this scenario, the phone was flat on a desk (awkward because he was filming). The way it currently works is perfect. It prevents the accidental minimize when playing a landscape game, but you can still minimize from the normal bezel if you hold the phone in portrait mode.
    05-17-14 10:42 PM
    so what i got out of this video is, its all about the number of cores that matter when running android apps, not raw speed.
    05-18-14 01:13 AM
    They should really make every app close from the portrait bezel even in landscape to prevent the confusion.

Other wise looks good.

Posted via CB10
    YES!!!! I just now seen this. I can imagine newbies getting confused

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 01:21 AM
    Not bad actually, thanks for the video. But if BlackBerry is going to promote Android apps run on BB10, they need to get it better, equally, remove the disclaimer, if you visit blackberry Indonesia site, the Z3 has a badge that it runs android apps. Can't be over promising and then under deliver, that's the last thing BlackBerry needs right now.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 01:41 AM
    Some of the delay is how the app opens: it always shows you the home screen (open apps) then it loads the app. On the Nexus, it opens straight away. I'm ok with that part, but some of those apps were painfully slow to load in comparison. However, for not being native, its not bad.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 04:28 AM
    It would be really great, if they provide Google services .!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 05:13 AM
    Yes, the badge mentions Z3 is Android app compatible * Upon opening the badge the instruction says to use the BlackBerry 10 browser to search and download App stores like Amazon, SlideMe and interestingly SNAP then use the file manager to install the app. The interesting thing is BB mentions clearly that NOT all Android Apps will run well on the Z3.

Android Instructions - Indonesia
    BlackBerry Z3, Edisi Jakarta - Dengan Keyboard Bahasa Indonesia - Indonesia

(Non Indonesian speakers can use Google Translate)

Not bad actually, thanks for the video. But if BlackBerry is going to promote Android apps run on BB10, they need to get it better, equally, remove the disclaimer, if you visit blackberry Indonesia site, the Z3 has a badge that it runs android apps. Can't be over promising and then under deliver, that's the last thing BlackBerry needs right now.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-18-14 06:03 AM
    It's crazy that BlackBerry is actually promoting Snap.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 09:05 AM
    ... If Blackberry can really present a no-compromise app experience that has security advantages over Android, I have to think there is a market for that...
    For that to happen, they have to start with a more secure Android base or to backport the security features of CyanogenMOD and BlackPhone.
    Right now both the BlackBerry and Android side of BlackBerry 10 leak data and they don't seem to really care about that.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    05-18-14 09:12 AM
    For that to happen, they have to start with a more secure Android base or to backport the security features of CyanogenMOD and BlackPhone.
    Right now both the BlackBerry and Android side of BlackBerry 10 leak data and they don't seem to really care about that.
    There are different forms of security. Protection from installing known bad apps is still security and it can be advertised that way.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 09:23 AM
    sorry but this performance is stil weak and unuseful to convince an android user, the one who want to enjoy android if I tell him to use the z30 he is definetly going to reject for example he can get an experia z1 with much better prformance than the z30 and for a price that is cheaper..
    Not so encouraging -_-

Amazing z10. But stupid battery
    05-18-14 09:26 AM
    sorry but this performance is stil weak and unuseful to convince an android user, the one who want to enjoy android if I tell him to use the z30 he is definetly going to reject for example he can get an experia z1 with much better prformance than the z30 and for a price that is cheaper..
    Not so encouraging -_-

If your primary focus is apps, get an Android or an iPhone. That much is clear. If you want what BB10 offers but still want apps, BlackBerry is doing something to put itself in the game. Like someone posted earlier, it is a good balance. This is still a beta and the final version may still improve. Certainly, big strides have already been made.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-18-14 09:37 AM
    I hope having better performance with the official release, what I'm trying to convey is that this performance isn't going to attract new customers who are interested in Applications while for me as a BlackBerry user this performance is ok for the necessary work but not as full satisfying experience..

05-18-14 09:49 AM
    Quick question and it's a serious one I'm not having a pop at BB.

I'm thinking about buying a Z30 to replace my Z10.. question is.. is the Z30 screen really as dim as this video makes out or do you just have the brightness turned right down? Cause it's sort of put me off.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:00 AM

I'm thinking about buying a Z30 to replace my Z10.. question is.. is the Z30 screen really as dim as this video makes out or do you just have the brightness turned right down? Cause it's sort of put me off.

Posted via CB10
    The screen on the Z30 shows much better contrast for dark colors. I only use my Z30 with the brightness turned completely off, so when I do turn it on max, it looks quite nice (it's as bright as you'd need it to be, trust me. You'll probably keep it on the middle brightness anyway). It's not as vibrant as the Z10 when it comes to whites, but the darks look beautiful and it was the best upgrade I ever made. If your considering moving from the Z10 to a Z30, I pushed it off for months, finally bit the bullet, and can't ever go back to a Z10. So glad I made the jump.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-18-14 10:09 AM
    There are different forms of security. Protection from installing known bad apps is still security and it can be advertised that way.

Posted via CB10
    Except that all BlackBerry will do is scan apps like they do on BlackBerry World and that's exactly what Android is doing, so no advantage there.

"Snap" is the best stop-gap solution for Android apps while we wait for BlackBerry to get its act together...
    05-18-14 10:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    You ask an easy question but the answer is complicated.

First thing to know. Auto brightness was disabled on the Nexus 4. It is way too dim even indoors. Unusable.

Second thing. What you are seeing is a color temperature issue more than a brightness issue.

Third thing. With auto brightness disabled, the Nexus can be made to be brighter than the Z30.

Fourth thing. I also came from the Z10. The screens are different but I like the Z30's amoled screen better. Z30 is never too dim indoors. Outdoors, both screens are not really usable.

Posted via CB10
    Craig Abernethy likes this.
    05-18-14 10:37 AM
    Thanks for doing this. If you ever redo the test, might I suggest you use the page icons at the bottom. On my Z10 I didn't even realize that they were there but once I upgraded to my Z30, they are large enough to see and use. I.e. You can jump straight to page 5 instead of swiping across 5 pages which makes the Z30 seem slow and inefficient which is definitely not the case. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:58 AM
    Considering the Nexus 4 has twice the processing power, thats pretty good that the Z30 only lags behind a little bit for most apps (since most apps likely use single thread only). While games might run twice as fast on Nexus 4 as games might tend to use more cores.
    05-18-14 01:00 PM
    The screen on the Z30 shows much better contrast for dark colors. I only use my Z30 with the brightness turned completely off, so when I do turn it on max, it looks quite nice (it's as bright as you'd need it to be, trust me. You'll probably keep it on the middle brightness anyway). It's not as vibrant as the Z10 when it comes to whites, but the darks look beautiful and it was the best upgrade I ever made. If your considering moving from the Z10 to a Z30, I pushed it off for months, finally bit the bullet, and can't ever go back to a Z10. So glad I made the jump.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 01:59 PM
79 1234