03-09-14 11:40 PM
32 12
tools
    Hi there.

So I'm experiencing a quite disappointing issue of battery drain; though not as bad as others, still bad.

As I'm typing this, I just unplugged my Q10 around 30 minutes. I'm on 89%

Just using CB10, nothing else.
    Lowest brightness, all connections off except mobile data connected to 3g.
    No email accounts.
    No other background apps (as far as I'm concerned)
    Though not running a black wallpaper.

I'm running on .1925 for 3 days.
    I think the drain is not normal, and I'm hoping it would be fixed once I do upgrade.

But, as I was browsing the forums, I found so many contradicting statements. So I'm quite torn.

I'm loving this phone, so please give me light.

Kudos mates.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:19 AM
    Battery life is a complex matter. It depends on many variables.

Start here for some general tips:

BlackBerry 10 Battery Tips | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Do you have Android apps installed? WhatsApp? Skype? Messenger apps?

All of those are infamous for battery drain problems.

If you are not using LTE, most reports of 2141 are positive in terms of battery life compared to 1925.
    02-25-14 02:28 AM
    Battery life is a complex matter. It depends on many variables.

Start here for some general tips:

BlackBerry 10 Battery Tips | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Do you have Android apps installed? WhatsApp? Skype? Messenger apps?

All of those are infamous for battery drain problems.

If you are not using LTE, most reports of 2141 are positive in terms of battery life compared to 1925.
    I do have a few Android Apps, but I make sure to close them if I'm not using them.
    I have no Skype and WhatsApp.
    And only Line as a messenger App.

I only use LTE when I want a fast download. Nevertheless I always use H+ when I need Internet connection.

Most of the tips above, I do follow. I know the variety of the battery life. But I currently use it moderately with browsing, texting, gaming and watching videos. At the least I'd want it to make it through a day, a day and a half at most. Currently, half a day is all I can get.

I appreciate your response.
    I will post a screenie later when my battery goes low on juice.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:37 AM
    I do have a few Android Apps, but I make sure to close them if I'm not using them.

That may not help. Many Android apps run in the background anyway. This is one of the weaknesses of that platform. Very little control over that sort of thing.

Please use the "Device Monitor" tool to look at what is using battery power. Go to the "Battery" tab, set it to an appropriate period, ie "last 24 hours", and then it will sort by cumulative battery usage.

That should help you narrow it down. A very handy tool introduced with OS 10.2.1.

And only Line as a messenger App.

Those are precisely the type of apps that often cause high battery drain. Because MOST of them run in the background all the time, or else they would not be able to notify you when you got a new message unless you currently had the app open.
    02-25-14 02:58 AM
    That may not help. Many Android apps run in the background anyway. This is one of the weaknesses of that platform. Very little control over that sort of thing.

Please use the "Device Monitor" tool to look at what is using battery power. Go to the "Battery" tab, set it to an appropriate period, ie "last 24 hours", and then it will sort by cumulative battery usage.

That should help you narrow it down. A very handy tool introduced with OS 10.2.1.

Those are precisely the type of apps that often cause high battery drain. Because MOST of them run in the background all the time, or else they would not be able to notify you when you got a new message unless you currently had the app open.
    Checked for the Last 48 hours.

The top 3 where Display, System and Browser.

I do not use a black wallpaper but is at the lowest brightness settings.

I just had Line yesterday afternoon, so probably it's not the cause of the problem.
    Anyways,
    I just uninstalled my Android Apps with the exception of Line, Aptoide, and Tubemate. And will wait if things go better.

Thank you and kudos to you sir

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:33 AM
    You can always try this, radical solution. But be prepared to say goodbye to contact which are not in the cloud. Also keep note: don't try to restore backups after performing this trick, because that will either bring you back to where you started from (aka problems) or just give you an errormessage.
    02-25-14 03:52 AM
    You can always try this, radical solution. But be prepared to say goodbye to contact which are not in the cloud. Also keep note: don't try to restore backups after performing this trick, because that will either bring you back to where you started from (aka problems) or just give you an errormessage.
    I will try this sir. It seems promising. But is there a way I can backup my contacts. I do have a lot. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 04:18 AM
    I can tell that 2141 improved battery life vs 10.2.1.1925 on Z30 (mine, moderate usage) and 10.2 on Q5 (gf, heavy messaging).
    02-25-14 05:24 AM
    Here are screenshots as of my last charge.

Should I upgrade to .2141?-img_20140225_202101.png

Attachment 250773
    02-25-14 06:23 AM
    Here are screenshots as of my last charge.

The second attachment is not visible here.

The one I can see is not useful - I never disputed you had short battery life, what I need to see is the list of running processes and their battery usage over time. And I would recommend using a fixed timeframe (ie 24, 48 hours) rather than "since last charge" because we have no idea when the device was last taken off the charger.
    02-25-14 01:59 PM

The one I can see is not useful - I never disputed you had short battery life, what I need to see is the list of running processes and their battery usage over time. And I would recommend using a fixed timeframe (ie 24, 48 hours) rather than "since last charge" because we have no idea when the device was last taken off the charger.
    Here you go

Should I upgrade to .2141?-img_20140226_053914.png

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:41 PM
    I wrote rubbish Here's mine
    Attached Thumbnails Should I upgrade to .2141?-img_20140225_231333.png  
    02-25-14 04:17 PM
    Here you go

You have VERY high display power consumption, and the browser is pretty high too.

Did you turn the brightness up all the way and increase the screen timeout so the screen is almost constantly on?

Are you watching videos for hours on end in the web browser or YouTube app?
    02-25-14 06:57 PM
    You have VERY high display power consumption, and the browser is pretty high too.

Did you turn the brightness up all the way and increase the screen timeout so the screen is almost constantly on?

Are you watching videos for hours on end in the web browser or YouTube app?
    I instantaneously changed the brightness setting to the lowest and screen timeout to 30secs on day 1 that I got the phone.
    Now my screen timeout is at 10 since yesterday.
    But I do text a lot and is not on s black wallpaper. And I've watched a 1 hour video once in the player.

Videos on Youtube and Browser for more than an hour, but not more than 2 hours. I think I only did this for 3 times for the last 48 hours and in long intervals in between them. Since my phone gets heated up and I let it cool down.

If my battery is being drained while watching videos in the net or offline, while browsing the net. It would be fine. But my problem is, even when I'm lightly browsing and texting, the battery drain is still fast.

Here is this Morning (6 hours ago)
    I watched a video (on the player not online), watched a few minutes on Youtube, texted, browsed a bit, and CB of course. I'm at 42 from 100

Should I upgrade to .2141?-img_20140226_113134.png

I really do appreciate your willingness to help, sir. Kudos to you

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:33 PM

I thought the monitor for last charge meant the first timestamp you see is the time the device was last taken off the charger.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:51 PM
    I don't have a laptop right now, so I can't autoload it, and my carrier (Wind Canada) has yet to release it still...

I thought Blackberry was rolling all updates via global rollout?

24BEB0EF Let's BBM!
    02-25-14 10:29 PM
    I thought Blackberry was rolling all updates via global rollout?

I don't know where you heard that but that is incorrect.

One of the recent OS releases was made available by many carriers around the same time, but Blackberry has no direct control over that.

The only major smartphone vendor in a different position is Apple, because of a special agreement they negotiated with carriers before they introduced their first smartphone. They also operate a very very large retail business and have thousands of employees working as direct customer support reps, these are some of the reasons that carriers were willing to give them that flexibility. No other major smartphone vendor is in that same position.
    02-25-14 11:00 PM
    I instantaneously changed the brightness setting to the lowest and screen timeout to 30secs on day 1 that I got the phone.
    Now my screen timeout is at 10 since yesterday.
    But I do text a lot and is not on s black wallpaper. And I've watched a 1 hour video once in the player.

Videos on Youtube and Browser for more than an hour, but not more than 2 hours. I think I only did this for 3 times for the last 48 hours and in long intervals in between them. Since my phone gets heated up and I let it cool down.

If my battery is being drained while watching videos in the net or offline, while browsing the net. It would be fine. But my problem is, even when I'm lightly browsing and texting, the battery drain is still fast.

All it takes is for the screen to be active. That is the single most battery-draining component of a smartphone, when it is active. If it is active continuously, it is like having your car idle all day - your fuel economy will be horrible.

Also, regarding your latest graph, make sure we know what time frame that refers to. "Since last charge" could mean many things.
    02-25-14 11:04 PM
    All it takes is for the screen to be active. That is the single most battery-draining component of a smartphone, when it is active. If it is active continuously, it is like having your car idle all day - your fuel economy will be horrible.

Also, regarding your latest graph, make sure we know what time frame that refers to. "Since last charge" could mean many things.
    My latest graph covers 5am to 11am.

How about this. Now, I just unplugged my phone from the charger, let it cool for a few minutes.
    Turned it on. 4:35pm. After barely a minute, it dropped to 98%.

Now I replied to your post. It's at 96%.

It's kinda annoying :/
    Should I reload my OS, upgrade to the leak, or replace the battery while warranty is still covering it?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 02:43 AM
    Should I reload my OS, upgrade to the leak, or replace the battery while warranty is still covering it?

Reloading the OS without restoring may well improve it, but re-installing the same problematic apps may well bring you back to the same place again.

I assume you are in the Philippines since you are on Globe Telecom, yes?

So, probably no LTE there?

There have been issues reported with battery drain when using LTE, even on the latest OS. In general, outside of that issue, most people are reporting battery life at least as good as previous versions, and better in many cases.
    02-26-14 02:47 AM
    Reloading the OS without restoring may well improve it, but re-installing the same problematic apps may well bring you back to the same place again.

I assume you are in the Philippines since you are on Globe Telecom, yes?

So, probably no LTE there?

There have been issues reported with battery drain when using LTE, even on the latest OS. In general, outside of that issue, most people are reporting battery life at least as good as previous versions, and better in many cases.
    Do I lose my contacts once I reload my OS?

I actually don't have any Android Apps right now, except for Line. All other apps are from BlackBerry World. And my battery was not any better before installing those apps.

As for LTE, we do have that. But I tend not to use it because it heats up my phone too fast, and H+ does the job well, no need for me to go to such high speeds.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GaleWindsar; 02-26-14 at 03:36 AM.
    02-26-14 02:53 AM

It's kinda annoying :/

Posted via CB10
    Does the warranty cover battery? I don't have a copy of it with me right now but I seem to be under the impression that batteries are never covered.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 03:01 AM
    Does the warranty cover battery? I don't have a copy of it with me right now but I seem to be under the impression that batteries are never covered.

Posted via CB10
    Is it not? I do not have my copy, but I've read some posts where they returned the battery for a new. Unless I did misunderstand.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 03:02 AM
    It really annoys me if I buy a product and it doesn't perform how it is supposed to and it equally annoys me when I am expected to sort it out.
    If you bought it from a shop I suggest that you get hold of the individual who sold it you and motivate them to sort this out or give you your money back, otherwise just throw the phone away and get a new one.

I have got really annoyed over this , My Z10 battery was rubbish and people always said it must be android apps causing it or non official upgrade when in fact it had zero android and only official upgrades. I know the O.S was new but in my mind it should not have been released until it was 100% , reminds me of how Windows release new OS before they are fully developed then release service packs and patches afterwards.
    I was going to replace my Z10 with a Q10 but the product still is not 100% so I bought a 9900 this week and going back to that, the Z10 can be a back up but the way things are it will probable end up in the drawer of unwanted phones , pity because it is a decent phone and well made but just does random things , just like a moody woman sometimes.
    02-26-14 03:46 AM
    Do I lose my contacts once I reload my OS?

Doing a "clean" install using an autoloader will clear your data.

But that is what backups are for.

BlackBerry Link is the usual way to do a device backup. Make sure you select "all" items and make sure it completes successfully before you take that step. You may even want to do a second backup in case there is some problem with the first one, if the data is very critical.

I also use a 3rd-party app called Contact-X to separately back up my contacts, just in case.

And SMS Backup by Epic Windmill to backup SMS messages.

There are apps to backup Remember notes as well.

These are more necessary with BB10 because Link does not allow backups or restores of single data components, other than 3 general categories.
    02-26-14 03:44 PM
32 12