Thought I should update the db for my BB10 app called Max Mobile Security and ran a scan, because I haven't run one since 1055...

Several instances of a threat named Android.Plangton.a were detected and which I then deleted.

See: Android.Plangton.a - Google Search

Deletion of the threat doesn?t seem to have adversely affected any of my Android apps. Not sure which App or which store was responsible. I have Amazon and Snap. I previously deleted 1Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 01:19 PM
    highly advisable that those folks doing these installs run these scans...
    11-30-13 02:13 PM
    I can't verify whether an increased threat exist as a result of loading apk's direct or not based on how BlackBerry handles those apps.

Oddly enough, however, after loading one of the apk stores my PC anti-virus software went crazy when I hooked up my Z10 to my computer and quarantined several files. They were false positives which I did have to restore.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:29 PM
    As long as you get your APKs from reputable sources i.e. Google Play, Amazon, I wouldn't worry too much. The only times when things may get sketchy is when you decide you want to pirate an App which then wherever you get it from, they (the site, person uploading the APK) can modify the app.

I've not once been affected, even back when I had several Samsung devices, so it really is unfortunate if anyone gets affected.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:42 PM
    As long as you get your APKs from reputable sources i.e. Google Play, Amazon, I wouldn't worry too much. The only times when things may get sketchy is when you decide you want to pirate an App which then wherever you get it from, they (the site, person uploading the APK) can modify the app.

I've not once been affected, even back when I had several Samsung devices, so it really is unfortunate if anyone gets affected.

Posted via CB10
    "While most of the newly discovered samples are released outside of the official Android Market, some aren't, and it is unfortunate that users cannot rely on Google to prevent malicious users from submitting malicious applications to the Android Market."

"Because apps are self-signed, there is no good way to verify that an application is coming from a trusted source. Theft of intellectual property is common, as rogue developers are repackaging versions of legitimate applications and selling them under their own names."

"The applications that included the Plankton framework were published on the market for more than two months before anybody noticed anything unusual about them. Some of the applications became very popular and were downloaded over 100,000 times. "

From: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...ndroid-market/

Posted via CB10
    KemKev likes this.
    11-30-13 02:50 PM
    I have wondered similar questions... don't have a definitive answer so I figure better safe than sorry, but at the same time if I don't have enough evidence to prove a significant threat exists, i'm not quite willing to fork over $8 for it.

Here is an alternative I just came across.. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a tool (listed & verified on CNet, Tucows, etc) that I use on my PC almost daily and it works.. after running a recent scan I happened to notice a link for a mobile Andrioid version.. best of all, it's FREE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.antimalware

and the mobile version is listed officially on Google Play store so that should eliminate any concern about the app itself for most...
    11-30-13 11:20 PM
    Here is an alternative I just came across.. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a tool (listed & verified on CNet, Tucows, etc) that I use on my PC almost daily and it works.. after running a recent scan I happened to notice a link for a mobile Andrioid version.. best of all, it's FREE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.antimalware

and the mobile version is listed officially on Google Play store so that should eliminate any concern about the app itself for most...
    I also use the paid PC version, and downloaded the free Android version via Snap. Unfortunately, the Android version is not stable on my phone - keeps crashing.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 11:49 PM
    I also use the paid PC version, and downloaded the free Android version via Snap. Unfortunately, the Android version is not stable on my phone - keeps crashing.

Posted via CB10
    dang. I was wondering if it was gonna run well-enough to actually be a solution.. curious though, what OS r u on?

admittedly, I hadn't had a chance to test it myself yet but figured since it was free, I'd throw it out there and it couldn't hurt.. I'm not on 10.2.1 so it would have required more work (only slightly but feeling lazy) than just pointing and downloading the APK; the whole process of converting an apk and side-loading sounds so old-fashioned now lol...
    12-02-13 05:16 AM
    Hmmm.. let me quickly run a scan.

Edit: not that I'm installing from less reputable resources
    12-02-13 05:27 AM
    This thread got me thinking so I dud a search using Snap and found "avast! Android" which is also free.

I ran a scan with avast! Android on my Z10 and it found all my installed Android apps, including those converted to bars, but found no threats.

Not completely sure it worked but it seems stable.

You might want to give that a try.

PS: Snap continues to be AWESOME. Just Sayin'!

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 06:00 AM
    Thought I should update the db for my BB10 app called Max Mobile Security and ran a scan, because I haven't run one since 1055...

Several instances of a threat named Android.Plangton.a were detected and which I then deleted.

See: Android.Plangton.a - Google Search

Deletion of the threat doesn?t seem to have adversely affected any of my Android apps. Not sure which App or which store was responsible. I have Amazon and Snap. I previously deleted 1Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    I'm running Max Mobile as we speak. Thus far nothing found. Three possibilities: either Max can't properly deal with the Android runtime by design or the virus database is outdated or I really have nothing cumbersome on my phone. I see other posters recommend downloading an android malware scanner. This raises the question: how capable is Max to deal with the new threats created by the open 1055 runtime and direct apk installation?
    12-02-13 06:28 AM
    I'm running Max Mobile as we speak. Thus far nothing found. Three possibilities: either Max can't properly deal with the Android runtime by design or the virus database is outdated or I really have nothing cumbersome on my phone. I see other posters recommend downloading an android malware scanner. This raises the question: how capable is Max to deal with the new threats created by the open 1055 runtime and direct apk installation?
    Nice question,
    Now MAX people have to answer.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    12-02-13 07:26 AM