11-15-14 11:44 PM
33 12
tools
    Hey guys,

I was wondering whether doing a non-destructive update from such a low OS to 10.3.1 is safe? It's on my sister's Z10 and she's absolutely against using the autoloader.

Also, she has an STL100-3... can I use the same files (core, radio and apps) I used on my STL100-2?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Apollo_IV; 10-26-14 at 01:11 PM.
    10-25-14 03:52 PM
    STL100-2 & STL100-3 use the same OS.

As for destructive vs non-destructive OS updates, many of the most experienced members with leaked OS's will say you should wipe and use an autoloader, then nor restore Settings, especially when jumping OS generations like 10.2.1 to 10.3.1.

Autoloader is fast to use, but the backup & restore with Link can take a long time, depending how much you have on your phone. The downside is you'll have to start fresh with your settings, options, setup, icon placement, custom word substitution, bookmarks, etc.

Lots of others only do non-destructive and claim to be just fine. It's worth noting that an official OS update via your carrier will be non-destructive after all.

I decided to do that fresh start jumping from 10.2.1 to 10.3.0 and I did gain back some device storage memory, but not too much.

Neither is unsafe, per se. Jury is out if one is certainly better than the other.
    Apollo_IV and muindor like this.
    10-25-14 04:56 PM
    My .02 worth - it is strongly suggested by many that to go from 10.2 to 10.3 should be done with a wipe, then autoloader. There are significant differences between the structures of the two "generations" of OS that doing nondestructive can leave behind "stuff " from 10.2 that causes 10.3 grief. It is also highly recommended not to do any restore once you are on 10.3 - reset up everything from scratch

The good news - once you are on 10.3.1, then for the next leak or release you can do nondestructive.

I was on 10.2.1.1155 - did autoloader to 10.3.1.632 with no restore and I had no problems with the installation or the OS or apps.

Yesterday I did nondestructive to 10.3.1.938 - no restore needed of course - and again everything is working 100%.

Posted via CB10
    Apollo_IV likes this.
    10-25-14 06:04 PM
    Sorry - meant to say was on 10.2.1.1925 then autoloader to 10.3.0.1155, then autoloader to 10.3.1.632.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 06:08 PM
    The problem is, my sister doesn't have the same amount of patience as I have when it comes to installing things from scratch and would gladly wait for the official release. I was more bothered by that ugly looking mess on her phone than she was, lol.

Anyhow, I've gone ahead and done the non-des update and everything seems to be running smoothly so far.

Thank you both for the input
    10-25-14 06:18 PM
    My .02 worth - it is strongly suggested by many that to go from 10.2 to 10.3 should be done with a wipe, then autoloader. There are significant differences between the structures of the two "generations" of OS that doing nondestructive can leave behind "stuff " from 10.2 that causes 10.3 grief. It is also highly recommended not to do any restore once you are on 10.3 - reset up everything from scratch

The good news - once you are on 10.3.1, then for the next leak or release you can do nondestructive.

I was on 10.2.1.1155 - did autoloader to 10.3.1.632 with no restore and I had no problems with the installation or the OS or apps.

Yesterday I did nondestructive to 10.3.1.938 - no restore needed of course - and again everything is working 100%.

Posted via CB10
    So you are saying 100% good. Can you please try something out for us. Open a text message and type in a few words intentionally miss spelling a word. Then try to correct the miss spelled word using the "bubble". Please let me know if it works for you. Not in an email (we know that works) but BBM or text. Thanks in advance.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.938
    10-26-14 02:16 AM
    What I don't get is... if an update comes from BlackBerry OTA and overwrites the OS why would an unofficial non-destructive update be any different? It's the exact same process.
    10-26-14 06:36 AM
    Hey guys,

I was wondering whether doing a non-destructive update from such a low OS to 10.3.1 is safe? It's on my sister's Z10 and she's absolutely against using the auto-loader.

Also, she has an STL100-3... can I use the same files (core, radio and apps) I used on my STL100-2?

Thanks in advance.
    Going for big jump like this ie: 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 definitely use an autoloader (destructive) backup, first, and restore media and apps only, do NOT restores settings.

If going from 10.3.1 to another 10.3.1 it easier to do a non destructive load using Sachesi Blitz.

What OS I'm on is my business, get off my NUTS! Ex-BerryLeaks member (best group ever) Current Peevishlicious crew 'Enforcer'
    10-26-14 09:29 AM
    Ah cmon guys.. The whole "destructive update from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1" is the cleanest way is just in your heads!

I updated my Z30 and my buddy's Z30 to 10.3 from 10.2.1 using Sachesi + Core file + Proper Radio + Apps extracted. Took about 35 minutes and I was upgraded everything running perfectly no problem.

Now on my buddy's and brother's Z10, I updated them straight from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1.938 using the exact same method. They lost no information, didn't have to wipe, everything working flawlessly.

There are a lot of people who claim that doing a fresh install is the "cleanest" way to do it. But then again, I know tons of people who literally reload their entire OS on a monthly basis simply because they "feel" like it makes it more snappy. They have all agreed that it's in their heads though, they don't actually know if it does anything but simply doing it to give them a peace of mind.

You can use non-destructive to upgrade from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 no problem. I have upgraded 4 phones thus far to vouch for it. Many of you are claiming that destructive is the "better" way to go claiming non-destructive leaves behind artifacts and stuff from 10.2.1, but when you get the update OTA, it's absolutely NO different. We are talking a proposed 99% of average consumers will be doing it this way (OTA) and I'm POSITIVE BlackBerry is making sure doing it this route won't leave behind junk from older OS versions. It's no different. Yes it may "feel" cleaner or "sound" right to wipe everything, but the results are in your head. If you learn how the software actually works from a programming side of things. It doesn't leave tons of junk behind from older OS versions.

Better yet, everyone in the 10.3 beta are getting the update how? Yes. VIA OTA!! They are NOT being told to run destructive autoloaders or even told to "security wipe" or anything. This is a beta that they are literally using as a test bed for problems with the OS. Now if bugs and artifacts were left behind, BlackBerry would NOT be putting all their resources into testing the OS to a group via OTA unless it wasn't really a big deal.

The writing is on the ceiling, choose what you want to believe or what brings you peace of mind, but I'm telling you that non destructive is a TOTALLY fine way to go from 10.2.1 -> 10.3.1

And to answer your question, yes, STL-2 and STL-3 use the same core, bars, and radio, so yes, it will work.

Posted via CB10 (Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938)
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 10-26-14 at 11:51 AM.
    10-26-14 11:38 AM
    So you are saying 100% good. Can you please try something out for us. Open a text message and type in a few words intentionally miss spelling a word. Then try to correct the miss spelled word using the "bubble". Please let me know if it works for you. Not in an email (we know that works) but BBM or text. Thanks in advance.

Hey Gearhead - I just tried both SMS and BBM - the bubble works fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:16 PM
    Ah cmon guys.. The whole "destructive update from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1" is the cleanest way is just in your heads!

I updated my Z30 and my buddy's Z30 to 10.3 from 10.2.1 using Sachesi + Core file + Proper Radio + Apps extracted. Took about 35 minutes and I was upgraded everything running perfectly no problem.

Now on my buddy's and brother's Z10, I updated them straight from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1.938 using the exact same method. They lost no information, didn't have to wipe, everything working flawlessly.

There are a lot of people who claim that doing a fresh install is the "cleanest" way to do it. But then again, I know tons of people who literally reload their entire OS on a monthly basis simply because they "feel" like it makes it more snappy. They have all agreed that it's in their heads though, they don't actually know if it does anything but simply doing it to give them a peace of mind.

You can use non-destructive to upgrade from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 no problem. I have upgraded 4 phones thus far to vouch for it. Many of you are claiming that destructive is the "better" way to go claiming non-destructive leaves behind artifacts and stuff from 10.2.1, but when you get the update OTA, it's absolutely NO different. We are talking a proposed 99% of average consumers will be doing it this way (OTA) and I'm POSITIVE BlackBerry is making sure doing it this route won't leave behind junk from older OS versions. It's no different. Yes it may "feel" cleaner or "sound" right to wipe everything, but the results are in your head. If you learn how the software actually works from a programming side of things. It doesn't leave tons of junk behind from older OS versions.

Better yet, everyone in the 10.3 beta are getting the update how? Yes. VIA OTA!! They are NOT being told to run destructive autoloaders or even told to "security wipe" or anything. This is a beta that they are literally using as a test bed for problems with the OS. Now if bugs and artifacts were left behind, BlackBerry would NOT be putting all their resources into testing the OS to a group via OTA unless it wasn't really a big deal.

The writing is on the ceiling, choose what you want to believe or what brings you peace of mind, but I'm telling you that non destructive is a TOTALLY fine way to go from 10.2.1 -> 10.3.1

And to answer your question, yes, STL-2 and STL-3 use the same core, bars, and radio, so yes, it will work.

Posted via CB10 (Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938)
    What you are saying is correct in principle. But.... By the time BlackBerry is ready to release an OS update OTA, they have spent a lot of effort in squashing bugs related to the non-destructive process. With these leaks, there are still a number of upgrade issues that may or may not crop up with your specific setup. I can assure you they do exist.

That is why, with a leak that has still not received Blackberry's OTA stamp of approval, a fresh install with an autoloader cleans up a lot of these unpredictable problems.

If you must restore, and assuming your contacts and calendar are in the cloud, I recommend a backup with Link, run the autoloader, and then perform a security wipe (voodoo maybe, but I have seen some functions actually activated with a security wipe). Setup your phone by adding your accounts, and adjusting the settings to your liking. Then do a restore with Link - but only media, and apps (without the BlackBerry Runtime! ). No settings restore.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    10-26-14 12:45 PM
    When I said safe I meant "won't leave anything unhinged/working unexpectedly" as it's not an official OTA, but I've already done it and my suspicions were put to bed. Autoloader is just a pain in the *** way of doing things.
    10-26-14 01:19 PM
    Great thread. I'm itching to upgrade to 10.3.1, because many of my Android apps are stuck "initializing" or "processing" after I download sane from Snap. Anyone know if 10.3.1 avoids these apparent app install issues I'm facing?

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    10-26-14 01:26 PM
    What you are saying is correct in principle. But.... By the time BlackBerry is ready to release an OS update OTA, they have spent a lot of effort in squashing bugs related to the non-destructive process. With these leaks, there are still a number of upgrade issues that may or may not crop up with your specific setup. I can assure you they do exist.

That is why, with a leak that has still not received Blackberry's OTA stamp of approval, a fresh install with an autoloader cleans up a lot of these unpredictable problems.

If you must restore, and assuming your contacts and calendar are in the cloud, I recommend a backup with Link, run the autoloader, and then perform a security wipe (voodoo maybe, but I have seen some functions actually activated with a security wipe). Setup your phone by adding your accounts, and adjusting the settings to your liking. Then do a restore with Link - but only media, and apps (without the BlackBerry Runtime! ). No settings restore.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    Yes, but you're missing my other main points.. BlackBerry has the private beta going on consisting of a couple thousand people. They are quite literally on these EXACT leaked versions. Why do you think the recent leaks came directly from BlackBerry servers? They were used for the private beta. In the beta they urge you NOT to do security wipes or anything. You're supposed to use it as-is and everything is fine. The OS is getting more and more refined and these problems you are referring to are NOT as problematic as they might have been in older 10.2 leaks. BB10 is very refined at this point and it's more worth it doing a non-destructive update at this point rather than a complete wipe.

This may not have been the case with old 10.2 leaks but 10.3 and 10.3.1 are getting more and more refined and actually doing small betas now for these reasons. These are not bugs that are a big worry anymore. It's not worth the hassle of using an autoloader and having to put back in all of your information and settings again. But hey, if you enjoy doing that then go right ahead.

It's just frustrating to me that so many people are trying to scare others away from doing a non-destructive update to 10.3.1 when in reality it works PERFECTLY fine. OP asked if you can do it, and YES you can 100% works great, yes, yes, yes. Everyone I know has done it and I personally have done it to 4 phones with 0 problems or unexpected bugs. There's no reason to push people to do the longer and more time-consuming method simply because you feel like there are probably bugs or "in theory" there might be bugs or anything. Save your time and do a non-destructive. I still have ALL my settings in-tact too and NO problems what.so.ever.at.all.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 02:31 PM
    Yes, but you're missing my other main points.. BlackBerry has the private beta going on consisting of a couple thousand people. They are quite literally on these EXACT leaked versions. Why do you think the recent leaks came directly from BlackBerry servers? They were used for the private beta. In the beta they urge you NOT to do security wipes or anything. You're supposed to use it as-is and everything is fine. The OS is getting more and more refined and these problems you are referring to are NOT as problematic as they might have been in older 10.2 leaks. BB10 is very refined at this point and it's more worth it doing a non-destructive update at this point rather than a complete wipe.

This may not have been the case with old 10.2 leaks but 10.3 and 10.3.1 are getting more and more refined and actually doing small betas now for these reasons. These are not bugs that are a big worry anymore. It's not worth the hassle of using an autoloader and having to put back in all of your information and settings again. But hey, if you enjoy doing that then go right ahead.

It's just frustrating to me that so many people are trying to scare others away from doing a non-destructive update to 10.3.1 when in reality it works PERFECTLY fine. OP asked if you can do it, and YES you can 100% works great, yes, yes, yes. Everyone I know has done it and I personally have done it to 4 phones with 0 problems or unexpected bugs. There's no reason to push people to do the longer and more time-consuming method simply because you feel like there are probably bugs or "in theory" there might be bugs or anything. Save your time and do a non-destructive. I still have ALL my settings in-tact too and NO problems what.so.ever.at.all.

Posted via CB10
    Without being too obvious, I am keenly aware of the beta program for 10.3.1. I am also aware that the non-destructive update problems associated with this particular release (on said beta) has been a massive headache for all involved.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    10-26-14 02:51 PM
    Title says "safest" way... Well the "safest" way would probably be to wait for a carrier push.

10-27-14 03:10 AM
    Can't tell for 10.3.1, but going from the last 10.2.1 to 10.3.0.1418 non destructively worked perfectly fine for me.

As my Z10 STL 100-1 is working flawlessly with this particular OS Version, and given that an official OS update is expected to arrive on mid November when the Classic is supposed to be presented, I'm hesitant to upgrade right now. If time goes by and there are no further official upgrades available, then I'll take the risk and move to the last working leak for my device. And, if possible, in the non destructive way.

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 STL100-1 / 10.3.0.1418
    10-27-14 10:28 AM
    Title says "safest" way... Well the "safest" way would probably be to wait for a carrier push.

Do you want a golden star?
    10-27-14 04:11 PM
    I am in jamaica on the Digicel network, will this 10.3.1.938 work on my z10-stl-100-1

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 05:13 PM
    I am in jamaica on the Digicel network, will this 10.3.1.938 work on my z10-stl-100-1

Posted via CB10
    It will most likely work. If you go to the "findings and fixes" thread for this version of the OS, you will find a bunch of people who already installed 10.3.1.938 in their STL100-1. Some of them had issues. Maybe you should go there and check if those issues are or not something you can live with...

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 STL100-1 / 10.3.0.1418
    10-27-14 05:40 PM
    Thanks, I will check it out....

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 06:14 PM
    Without being too obvious, I am keenly aware of the beta program for 10.3.1. I am also aware that the non-destructive update problems associated with this particular release (on said beta) has been a massive headache for all involved.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    Any links on that claim? IIRC beta OS, provided it's good enough, will eventually be released as carrier OTA without any changes

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    10-27-14 09:11 PM
    Any links on that claim? IIRC beta OS, provided it's good enough, will eventually be released as carrier OTA without any changes

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    The beta OS is ancient. No way it will see the light of day.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    10-27-14 09:16 PM
    The beta OS is ancient. No way it will see the light of day.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    I was talking about two things:

1. Whether there are evidences that it's indeed because of non destructive update.

2. I'm not talking about that one specifically. I'm talking about beta OS in general, if they're good enough they simply become carrier OTA update

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    10-27-14 09:31 PM
    I was talking about two things:

1. Whether there are evidences that it's indeed because of non destructive update.

2. I'm not talking about that one specifically. I'm talking about beta OS in general, if they're good enough they simply become carrier OTA update

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    1) yes. Can't be specific because of NDA.
    2) I guess we'll see, as this is the first beta program opened to people outside of BlackBerry.

Look, I'm not sure why you're arguing about this. It is clear that the non-destructive process causes problems for many (but not necessarily all) people that are immediately solved after a security wipe, or the use of an autoloader. There is absolutely no debating this fact. I have seen it myself 1st hand.

They do manage to clean up most of these update issues by the time the OS is ready for prime time. But with these earlier leaks, it can be a nightmare.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.938
    10-27-14 09:53 PM
33 12