11-02-16 10:03 PM
638 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Apologies, I'm unfamiliar with github, where is the download link on this page?

Posted via CB10
    Please take a look at https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/ .

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 08:56 PM
    Got it, thanks so much!!! This community is the best.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:02 PM
    So I just tried it and it didnt work. It installed and rebooted twice but to the same os as previously and now it doesnt pick up my network.
    09-13-14 01:34 AM
    :s

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 01:54 AM
    Very good! Much appreciated

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 03:27 AM
    So I just tried it and it didnt work. It installed and rebooted twice but to the same os as previously and now it doesnt pick up my network.
    Would you please tell us about your previous OS, updated OS, and the type of your device?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 04:37 AM
    Would you please tell us about your previous OS, updated OS, and the type of your device?

Posted via CB10
    updated or tried to update to 10.3.1155 or the latest one
    z10 STL 100-3
    09-13-14 09:36 AM
    updated or tried to update to 10.3.1155 or the latest one z10 STL 100-3
    Would you please try to update your software with the latest release of Sachesi?

https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 10:18 AM
    Would you please try to update your software with the latest release of Sachesi?

Posted via CB10
    ok so finally I was able to install it and now it gets stuck in blackberry hub

i cannot swipe to get out of it wth. its in landscape mode and I cant get out of it. only way is that when I need to reenter my login information i click on open and it takes me to that app. otherwise the hub is in landscape mode and i cant get out
    09-13-14 11:43 AM
    Steps
    1. Download Sachesi 1.8.0: https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/tag/1.8.0
    2. Connect your phone to your computer via USB
    3. Run Sachesi!
    4. (First time you use Sachesi): Go to Install tab and and type in password for your device
    5. Go to Search tab and click 'Search', then 'Download All'
    6. When that is finished, go to Install tab and 'Install Folder' and choose the folder that was created.
    7. Your phone will reboot and it will take several minutes to process the upgrade

Congratulations! You should be on the new OS, updated OTA with everything migrated correctly and no need to backup or restore.

Troubleshooting
    Step #4: If it is not detecting your device, go to Settings -> Storage and Access on your device and make sure it is set correctly to either 'Connect to Windows' for Windows or 'Connect to Mac' for everything else.

Step #5: Don't click 'Download All' unless the 'Download Device' is correctly set. It should say 'Connected' and NOT 'As Above'. If your device is not connected, refer to #4.
    If your download is especially slow or keeps stopping, you may wish to use a Download Manager such as jDownloader instead. In this case, use the 'Grab Links' button instead.

Step #6: If the install does not work, make sure it is not a company phone. Your company phone may have a policy set to block installing.

Step #7: If your phone feels buggy after the install, it may be because you didn't install OS + Radio + Apps together. Installing the OS separately can cause issues because your settings won't be migrated, if required. This can hose your install completely so please make sure you upgrade files together.

If anything otherwise strange happens during this process, please contact me ASAP with your bug report so I can fix it.

Video demonstration:
    So to essentially break the steps down, I just need to connect my Q10 and run Sachesi and download the OS to upgrade to 10.3.xx and still keep my files, apps and settings? I am on 10.2.1.2977. I know if I run the autoloader, I'll have to backup and restore.

Sorry if this sounds rudimentary, using Sachesi for the first time

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 12:36 PM
    ok so finally I was able to install it and now it gets stuck in blackberry hub

i cannot swipe to get out of it wth. its in landscape mode and I cant get out of it. only way is that when I need to reenter my login information i click on open and it takes me to that app. otherwise the hub is in landscape mode and i cant get out
    OK so it seems as if the rotation lock is different from previous os. I had to keep it on in previous os whereas this os I have to keep it off.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 12:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    I had problems earlier because I kept canceling the download and it kept resuming from where it left off and add in that I kept trying different versions of sachesi. This time I removed all of the downloaded files and I used sachesi 1.8.1 to download all files and then I installed files by selecting all of them from the folder.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 01:01 PM
    So to essentially break the steps down, I just need to connect my Q10 and run Sachesi and download the OS to upgrade to 10.3.xx and still keep my files, apps and settings? I am on 10.2.1.2977. I know if I run the autoloader, I'll have to backup and restore.

Sorry if this sounds rudimentary, using Sachesi for the first time

Posted via CB10
    Sounds about right. I'll warn you that generally when going from a 10.2.x OS to 10.3 without a wipe, the android runtime may not work properly. Myself and another user reported this earlier in this thread, and it's also apparent based on the feedback in the other leak threads where users recommend not backing up runtime data.
    09-13-14 02:58 PM
    I had problems earlier because I kept canceling the download and it kept resuming from where it left off and add in that I kept trying different versions of sachesi. This time I removed all of the downloaded files and I used sachesi 1.8.1 to download all files and then I installed files by selecting all of them from the folder.
    Sachesi creates a folder in the name of Software Version below the folder where its program files are stored.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 04:09 PM
    Sounds about right. I'll warn you that generally when going from a 10.2.x OS to 10.3 without a wipe, the android runtime may not work properly. Myself and another user reported this earlier in this thread, and it's also apparent based on the feedback in the other leak threads where users recommend not backing up runtime data.
    Thanks Sally. I think I will go the traditional way and backup and upgrade via autoloader (only before I search the forum for potential issues in this particular method).

Good day!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 10:59 PM
    Thanks Sally. I think I will go the traditional way and backup and upgrade via autoloader (only before I search the forum for potential issues in this particular method).
    When Blackberry is developing a new OS (like 10.3) and it's in an alpha or beta stage, they have limited support for migrating settings from the previous OS (like 10.2) yet. That is, it might have bugs or might not be perfect.
    However, when the official OS is released, they make sure the settings migration should work perfectly because the OS is sent out to everyones phones OTA. Sachesi uses the same official OTA method.

So far for OS 10.3, they have only targeted Passport (Windermere) in their development. Passport never ran 10.2 so settings migration has been of even less importance for the team. 10.3 happens to work on other devices only because they have a similar CPU and the UI is mostly resolution independent. They are officially targeting other devices with 10.3.1 ONLY (not 10.3).

To give an idea:
    With Sachesi, upgrading OTA from OS 10.0 official to OS 10.2 official. When you do the full upgrade, the startup script runs on the first run of the new OS. It detects the 'Old OS' and 'New OS' and runs a script to migrate settings and folders. Blackberry makes sure this runs flawlessly because when they push out the new OS officially, everyone will see this new update appear on their device OTA and the migration has to run perfectly.

With a backup + autoloader wipe + restore, you do not have this settings migration -- ever! When the autoloader wipes, it sets old OS and new OS to the same value. Then when you restore your settings, it does not do the settings migration. If you look at the scripts in /scripts/settings, it doesn't appear to attempt to migrate the settings at all. So, if you then restore old settings from an older OS, they will simply be borked.

For the absolute cleanest experience, you probably wouldn't want to backup/restore your settings or applications (such as android) at all. Instead, use cloud syncing for contacts and calendar and just reinstall apps.
    This is for all operating systems and not isolated to Blackberry. However, I'd imagine that operating systems that are more stable and have less releases would have less issues with changing settings.

Here is an example of the migration scripts in /scripts/startup.sh of OS 10.3. There's about a hundred of these:
    Code:
    # Migration for bslauncher
    SERVICE_bslauncher_HANDLER_migrate_pps ()
    {
    	[ "${OS_VERSION}" == "${OS_RW_VERSION}" ] && return 0
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/private/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/private/lines/*
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/public/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/public/lines/*

cmp_version "10.2.0.924" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_rw_v="$?"
    	cmp_version "${OS_VERSION}" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_v="$?"
    	if (( os_rw_v == 1 && os_v == 1 )); then
    		Info "Migrating /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling from seed"
    		cp -vpf ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling
    	fi

[ -e "/pps/system/printd/data" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/data
    	[ -e "/pps/system/printd/status" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/status

[ -d "/pps/services/search/config" ] && rm -fr /pps/services/search/config

attributes="EnableAboveLock"
    	PPS_MERGE_OBJECT ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/asr/settings /pps/services/asr/settings "${attributes}"
    }

# Migration for domainsunlocked
    SERVICE_accounts_HANDLER_migrate_domainsunlocked ()
    {
    	Info "Doing accounts migration"
    	case "${OS_RW_VERSION}" in
    		(10.0.9.*) # FROM 10.0.9.* -> X.X.X
    			set -A gid $(ls -nd /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices)
    			if (( ${gid[3]} != 133 )); then
    				chgrp -R 133 /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices/
    			fi
    		;;
    		(*) #FROM X.X.X -> X.X.X
    			if [ ! -d /accounts/1000/shared/vvm ]; then
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    			fi
    		;;
    	esac
    }

##############################################################################
    ## Called after final sanity check (the upgrade/rollabck is done)           ##
    ## Update the destination OS/radio version, end time, and status in the     ##
    ## pps object                                                               ##
    update_ota_pps_final()
    {
    	typeset session_cnt status time_end os_old os_new radio_old radio_new

session_cnt=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} ${E_SESSION_COUNT})
    	if [[ -z ${session_cnt} ]]; then
    		# Not upgrading (the device hasn't ever been upgraded before)
    		return 0;
    	fi

status=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_STATUS}")
    	if [[ -z ${status} || ${status} != ${STATUS_INPROGRESS} ]]; then
    		# Currently the device is not under upgrade/rollback. Null status shouldn't happen
    		return 0;
    	fi

time_end=$(date)
    	if [[ -f "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version" ]]; then
    		os_new=$(< "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version")
    	else
    		os_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi
    	if [[ -f "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version" ]]; then
    		radio_new=$(< "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version")
    	else
    		radio_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi

os_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_OS_OLD}")
    	radio_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_RADIO_OLD}")
    	if [[ ${os_old} == ${os_new} && ${radio_old} == ${radio_new} ]]; then
    		status=${STATUS_ROLLBACK}
    	else
    		status=${STATUS_UPGRADED}
    	fi

echo "S1_${E_STATUS}::${status}\nS1_${E_TIME_END}::${time_end}\nS1_${E_OS_NEW}::${os_new}\nS1_${E_RADIO_NEW}::${radio_new}\n" >> ${PPS_OBJ}
    }
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-14-14 at 12:50 AM.
    yhamaie, bungaboy, nabher and 3 others like this.
    09-13-14 11:57 PM
    Thanks for the detailed explanation xsacha. This confirmed my suspicions that there was quite a bit behind why ota updates have worked so well for me and why others have been less successful doing the backup/restore method.
    09-14-14 01:22 AM
    I'm having a hard time completing the firmware update. After waiting until the firmware update is complete, each time i would find my USB connection would timed out and I have to do the whole thing again. I have tried 4-5 times and still the same result. I'm guessing this is windows 8.1 (64bit) usb issues?
    09-14-14 01:51 AM
    You had better refer to https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/, I suppose.
    09-14-14 02:29 AM
    I'm having a hard time completing the firmware update. After waiting until the firmware update is complete, each time i would find my USB connection would timed out and I have to do the whole thing again. I have tried 4-5 times and still the same result. I'm guessing this is windows 8.1 (64bit) usb issues?
    Apparently there are issues with USB 3.0 ports and those are more common on newer computers (usually running Windows 8.1). I haven't seen these time out issues personally though.
    If Sachesi gets time out issues, it's very likely that Link does also. It's just that Link doesn't have this feature. Or maybe there's a proper process to re-connect from a time-out and continue the transfer but I haven't seen this.
    09-14-14 02:43 AM
    Can someone clarify diff bet DBBT & Sachesi? both are performing almost similar functions.
    09-14-14 02:47 AM
    When Blackberry is developing a new OS (like 10.3) and it's in an alpha or beta stage, they have limited support for migrating settings from the previous OS (like 10.2) yet. That is, it might have bugs or might not be perfect.
    However, when the official OS is released, they make sure the settings migration should work perfectly because the OS is sent out to everyones phones OTA. Sachesi uses the same official OTA method.

So far for OS 10.3, they have only targeted Passport (Windermere) in their development. Passport never ran 10.2 so settings migration has been of even less importance for the team. 10.3 happens to work on other devices only because they have a similar CPU and the UI is mostly resolution independent. They are officially targeting other devices with 10.3.1 ONLY (not 10.3).

To give an idea:
    With Sachesi, upgrading OTA from OS 10.0 official to OS 10.2 official. When you do the full upgrade, the startup script runs on the first run of the new OS. It detects the 'Old OS' and 'New OS' and runs a script to migrate settings and folders. Blackberry makes sure this runs flawlessly because when they push out the new OS officially, everyone will see this new update appear on their device OTA and the migration has to run perfectly.

With a backup + autoloader wipe + restore, you do not have this settings migration -- ever! When the autoloader wipes, it sets old OS and new OS to the same value. Then when you restore your settings, it does not do the settings migration. If you look at the scripts in /scripts/settings, it doesn't appear to attempt to migrate the settings at all. So, if you then restore old settings from an older OS, they will simply be borked.

For the absolute cleanest experience, you probably wouldn't want to backup/restore your settings or applications (such as android) at all. Instead, use cloud syncing for contacts and calendar and just reinstall apps.
    This is for all operating systems and not isolated to Blackberry. However, I'd imagine that operating systems that are more stable and have less releases would have less issues with changing settings.

Here is an example of the migration scripts in /scripts/startup.sh of OS 10.3. There's about a hundred of these:
    Code:
    # Migration for bslauncher
    SERVICE_bslauncher_HANDLER_migrate_pps ()
    {
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/private/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/private/lines/*
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/public/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/public/lines/*

cmp_version "10.2.0.924" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_rw_v="$?"
    	cmp_version "${OS_VERSION}" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_v="$?"
    	if (( os_rw_v == 1 && os_v == 1 )); then
    		Info "Migrating /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling from seed"
    		cp -vpf ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling
    	fi

[ -e "/pps/system/printd/data" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/data
    	[ -e "/pps/system/printd/status" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/status

[ -d "/pps/services/search/config" ] && rm -fr /pps/services/search/config

attributes="EnableAboveLock"
    	PPS_MERGE_OBJECT ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/asr/settings /pps/services/asr/settings "${attributes}"
    }

# Migration for domainsunlocked
    SERVICE_accounts_HANDLER_migrate_domainsunlocked ()
    {
    	Info "Doing accounts migration"
    	case "${OS_RW_VERSION}" in
    		(10.0.9.*) # FROM 10.0.9.* -> X.X.X
    			set -A gid $(ls -nd /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices)
    			if (( ${gid[3]} != 133 )); then
    				chgrp -R 133 /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices/
    			fi
    		;;
    		(*) #FROM X.X.X -> X.X.X
    			if [ ! -d /accounts/1000/shared/vvm ]; then
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    			fi
    		;;
    	esac
    }

## Called after final sanity check (the upgrade/rollabck is done)           ##
    ## Update the destination OS/radio version, end time, and status in the     ##
    ## pps object                                                               ##
    update_ota_pps_final()
    {
    	typeset session_cnt status time_end os_old os_new radio_old radio_new

session_cnt=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} ${E_SESSION_COUNT})
    	if [[ -z ${session_cnt} ]]; then
    		# Not upgrading (the device hasn't ever been upgraded before)
    		return 0;
    	fi

status=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_STATUS}")
    	if [[ -z ${status} || ${status} != ${STATUS_INPROGRESS} ]]; then
    		# Currently the device is not under upgrade/rollback. Null status shouldn't happen
    		return 0;
    	fi

time_end=$(date)
    	if [[ -f "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version" ]]; then
    		os_new=$(< "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version")
    	else
    		os_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi
    	if [[ -f "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version" ]]; then
    		radio_new=$(< "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version")
    	else
    		radio_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi

os_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_OS_OLD}")
    	radio_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_RADIO_OLD}")
    	if [[ ${os_old} == ${os_new} && ${radio_old} == ${radio_new} ]]; then
    		status=${STATUS_ROLLBACK}
    	else
    		status=${STATUS_UPGRADED}
    	fi

echo "S1_${E_STATUS}::${status}\nS1_${E_TIME_END}::${time_end}\nS1_${E_OS_NEW}::${os_new}\nS1_${E_RADIO_NEW}::${radio_new}\n" >> ${PPS_OBJ}
    }

Thank you for the detailed reply. Will only upgrade then and reinstall all the apps.
    09-14-14 03:13 AM
    I have been almost always loading "not yet officially released" software (found on the BlackBerry production server but not yet pushed over the air) exactly in the way you kindly described.

We should not forget to copy to other devices or removable media cards those files which are stored in the storage memory of our devices . . . such files will be erased when software is updated - by accident - destructively.

Sachesi Tutorial: How to install the latest OS as an Update-img_20140914_173408.png
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-14-14 at 05:48 AM.
    09-14-14 04:38 AM
    Can someone clarify diff bet DBBT & Sachesi? both are performing almost similar functions.
    The former (written in Microsoft C++) runs only on Windows, while the latter (written in C++ with Qt) runs on various platforms.
    09-14-14 04:59 AM
    here is a screen shot of what i am seeing.
    Hope that helps.
    May I ask if you have successfully loaded the new OS to your Z10?
    09-14-14 05:42 AM
638 ... 34567 ...