10-25-15 04:34 PM
42 12
tools
    Have you tried fiddling with "Access using USB" in Storage and Access.

I can't seem to recollect well but after the restarts and uninstalls, I might have put my device in USB mass storage mode (it was a mistake), and upon turning off that option with link open might have done something, I really don't know!

 SE Passport
    These settings ended up having nothing to do with the issue. See my response below to Sacha's post.
    blackbird666 likes this.
    10-13-15 09:33 AM
    Still following but not sure what to do. I only have a Mac VM - it's not my primary.
    What I can tell you about the setup for Sachesi OSX:
    1) It doesn't require any drivers.
    2) It requires the device/computer to establish a network connection. That is, the device has to be assigned an IP, as it is on Windows and Linux too.
    3) Due to me not using it as my primary, the VM is essentially still in a 'fresh install' state, so I haven't been able to reproduce anyones issues. I have not installed *any* Blackberry software on my VM. So that's no Blend or Link.
    Sacha, I knew that Sachesi had no dependence upon BB drivers, since it worked on my OS X El Capitan VM, as well. And i had figured out that it did depend upon the connection of the BB device, with an IP address, since that is what I saw on my pure VM (no Link or Blend or other BB software installed), and what I couldn't establish on my main El Capitan drive.

I also noted that Parallels--what I use for my EC VM on top of my regular EC drive--had its own network connection. I thought maybe Parallels was in some way interfering with the BB device network connection on the main drive, even if it worked on the VM. So I completely uninstalled Parallels program, and immediately Sachesi worked on my main drive. That seemed to clinch it. I then reinstalled Parallels, and Sachesi still worked. Must have been some sort of corruption involving the Parallels network connection and the Passport network connection.

I realize this is all a little confusing, but the bottom line is that unless you can make the BB device establish a network connection via USB with the computer, neither Sachesi nor Link will work, except for the functions in Link that work via wifi, but not Backup and Restore. Apparently something has happened in El Capitan to cause this sort of interference, and some programs left over from Yosemite have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. In my case, it was Parallels.
    blackbird666 likes this.
    10-13-15 09:43 AM
    For those with the problem on El Capitan:

1) If you are on a hackintosh, make sure FakePCIID_XHCIMux and the El Capitan USBXHCI injector aren't both in place, because they conflict. Use one or the other, though FakePCIID_XHCIMux is recommended because the alternative sometimes has certain USB ports not working networking

2) If you are on an actual Mac, you can still use FakePCIID_XHCIMux + FakePCIID if you are willing to give it a shot (remember to remove the native USBXHCI injector). You might need to repair kext permissions and rebuild system cache

If it still doesn't work, please download ioreg from [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg and save your ioreg as instructed in that first post to be uploaded here and analyzed.
    KenV54 likes this.
    10-13-15 09:21 PM
    For those with the problem on El Capitan:

1) If you are on a hackintosh, make sure FakePCIID_XHCIMux and the El Capitan USBXHCI injector aren't both in place, because they conflict. Use one or the other, though FakePCIID_XHCIMux is recommended because the alternative sometimes has certain USB ports not working networking

2) If you are on an actual Mac, you can still use FakePCIID_XHCIMux + FakePCIID if you are willing to give it a shot (remember to remove the native USBXHCI injector). You might need to repair kext permissions and rebuild system cache

If it still doesn't work, please download ioreg from [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg and save your ioreg as instructed in that first post to be uploaded here and analyzed.
    On an actual Mac, what does the USBXHCI injector do? Is it necessary for some other operations, and how do you repair kext permissions and rebuild the system cache? El Capitan has removed Permissions repairs. I assume you have to do a CSRUTIL disable from the recovery mode first, just to remove a System kext file.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:57 PM
    On an actual Mac, what does the USBXHCI injector do? Is it necessary for some other operations, and how do you repair kext permissions and rebuild the system cache? El Capitan has removed Permissions repairs. I assume you have to do a CSRUTIL disable from the recovery mode first, just to remove a System kext file.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I forgot to mention the CSRUTIL disable from recovery mode. Once you do that, you can remove and use programs such as Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild system cache
    The USBXHCI is the new USB stack introduced in El Capitan. The problem with it is certain USB ports may not work with the BB network drive mounting of the phone. For mine, it only works on 2 of 3 USB ports. If I use FakePCIID_XHCIMux + FakePCIID, then all ports work fine. Using this as a combination without the native USBXHCI should be fine in theory, because the 2 kexts will reroute your USB ports, meaning they are still all functional.
    Of course, I only recommend this as the last resort, after clean install, etc. This is an invasive procedure, and you DO RISK damaging your operating system (which you may have to reinstall to repair)
    10-13-15 10:05 PM
    Why do so many end users update their software and is before checking for compatibility and any noted performance issues on the sw makers' website? These are desktop software and issues with compatibility have existed for over 2, possibly 3 decades or more... this isn't smartphone software.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:08 PM
    Yes, I forgot to mention the CSRUTIL disable from recovery mode. Once you do that, you can remove and use programs such as Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild system cache
    The USBXHCI is the new USB stack introduced in El Capitan. The problem with it is certain USB ports may not work with the BB network drive mounting of the phone. For mine, it only works on 2 of 3 USB ports. If I use FakePCIID_XHCIMux + FakePCIID, then all ports work fine. Using this as a combination without the native USBXHCI should be fine in theory, because the 2 kexts will reroute your USB ports, meaning they are still all functional.
    Of course, I only recommend this as the last resort, after clean install, etc. This is an invasive procedure, and you DO RISK damaging your operating system (which you may have to reinstall to repair)
    Thanks. Very clear. I'm thinking that my uninstall and the reinstall of Parallels, which was using one of the USB ports for networking, must have somehow rerouted the USB ports, and was a workaround for the kext issues. It was purely a fortuitous discovery on my part. I'll take luck over skill any day.

I'm hesitant to tweak the Mac OS at this level because it creates other potential problems, as you say, and because I don't like to spend my time doing OS reinstalls. I expect that later versions of EC will correct these issues.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:45 PM
    Still can't get it ti work! :-( can't update my passport.
    10-20-15 04:48 PM
    Sachesi and El Capitan-bb-no-network-connection.jpgSachesi and El Capitan-bb-network-connection.jpg
    Still can't get it ti work! :-( can't update my passport.
    There's hope, but some of it is luck. We know now that there's a problem in El Capitan with the USB drivers and establishing a connection in the Network on the computer. None of it has to do with BB Link or BB drivers or anything else. To get Sachesi to work in EC simply requires that you can get the Passport to make a network connection through USB.

I'm attaching two screenshots, one of what the network looks like on the Mac with the BB connected and one with it not connected. If you fool around enough with adding (+) and removing (-) the BB connections on the left side of the Network--you'll see BB en3 and en4 or some variation of these under Interfaces when you try to add network connections--it may "take." and you may have to remove (-) some other connections from USB or wifi. Once you see that it's connected, run Sachesi, do your upgrade, and you're set. Also, you may have to enter the IP address from your BB in the field, as shown, but mine came up automatically.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll try to help your work through it.
    10-20-15 05:46 PM
    @ Mohawk Apple:

One other thought--I just got an email from Apple on the BB Bug report I had submitted. Here's an excerpt from it.

-------------------------
    Engineering has the following feedback for you:

com.BlackBerry.driver.USBCDCNCM

Yosemite never shipped with a NCM driver.
    El Capitan does.

I see that the user still appears to have a 3rd party kext loaded. Would it be possible to see if everything works as expected without the 3rd party kext?

----------------

Go to the main Library/Extensions (not the /System/Library/Extensions), and remove all the Blackberry kext files you find there, including the one that looks like the one they referenced. Then reboot and see in the BlackBerry connects and Sachesi works.

I think you can remove non-Apple kext files even with the Apple SIP protection on--you can't remove the Apple kext files. But if not, boot into the recovery module by restarting with Command-R keys held, go to the Terminal, type CSRUTIL disable, reboot normally, and remove them. Don't forget to go back to the Terminal in Recovery module once again and type CSRUTIL enable, or you'll have an unprotected OS.

I just did this, but my BB connection was still working, so I don't know if that changed anything.

If you do this, and it works, please let me know and I'll report it back to Apple.
    10-20-15 06:56 PM
    For those who have issues, you can use the following program to troubleshoot.
    [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg
    If you are interested, upload a copy of your ioreg following the instructions on that page so we can see how exactly your BB device is being detected
    Unfortunately you do have to register to download from that forum. Alternative versions of the app v3+ do not work

Also, give what KenV56 said a try, it seems like a probably solution. Considering that BB hasn't issued anything on this yet, we may have to figure it out as a community
    Last edited by masterscarhead1; 10-22-15 at 03:21 PM.
    10-22-15 02:07 PM
    For those who have issues, you can use the following program to troubleshoot.
    [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg
    If you are interested, upload a copy of your ioreg following the instructions on that page so we can see how exactly your BB device is being detected
    Unfortunately you do have to register to download from that forum. Alternative versions of the app v3+ do not work

Also, give what KenV56 said a try, it seems like a probably solution. Considering that BB hasn't issued anything on this yet, we may have to figure it out as a community
    Masterscarhead1, thank you for inflating my user name. :-) Maybe I should call you Masterscarhead3!

Anyway, yes, as we discussed on PM, and as I've PMed to Sacha, it appears that the Apple Developer Bug Reporter is onto something. I ran IOreg on the Mac and it looks as though the kext i refer to is what is loading when the BB device is plugged in via USB.

So, just to make it simple for anyone following this thread and still having trouble connecting your BB device in Sachesi or Link or both on a Mac on USB with El Capitan, just do the following:

Go to your /Library/Extensions folder (not /System/Library/Extensions) and either move to Trash or delete the file BlackberryUSBCDCNCM.kext, or change its name to BlackberryUSBCDCNCM-Disabled.kexx so that it doesn't load when you boot or attach a Blackberry device. Then reboot your Mac. Then attach your Blackberry device and check the Network connections. It should look something like the attached picture. Also, try Sachesi. If it now connects and works, then this is the answer. El Capitan now has its own USBCDNCM kext file in the /System/Library/Extensions, which Yosemite and before did not, so the two kext files, the one from Apple in EC and the one from BB Link are apparently interfering with each other.

If anyone does this, let us know if it works. And if so, you will probably have to delete the BB kext file every time you newly install Link, at least until BB adapts Link to El Capitan. Of course, BB might not come out with an EC-ready Link without this kext file, since those who are still on Yosemite or below will need their NCM kext file for Link to work.

Sachesi and El Capitan-bb-network-connection.jpg
    Last edited by KenV54; 10-23-15 at 12:18 AM. Reason: For clarity
    10-22-15 04:58 PM
    I've experimented some on a OS X EC 10.11.1 VM, and it doesn't appear that removing the BB kext file or files gets the Passport connected in Network or permits Sachesi to run. On running the ioregistry explorer program it is obvious that attaching the PP brings up different kext files depending upon whether the Link kext files are present, but I can't get the device to connect in Network no matter what I do when I'm in the VM. The VM El Capitan /had/ worked for me when I first set it up. Meanwhile, my main drive with 10.11.1 is working fine with Sachesi, but I had gotten it working somehow prior to trashing the kext files, so there's no way to test it on my hard drive.
    10-23-15 02:38 PM
    I've experimented some on a OS X EC 10.11.1 VM, and it doesn't appear that removing the BB kext file or files gets the Passport connected in Network or permits Sachesi to run. On running the ioregistry explorer program it is obvious that attaching the PP brings up different kext files depending upon whether the Link kext files are present, but I can't get the device to connect in Network no matter what I do when I'm in the VM. The VM El Capitan /had/ worked for me when I first set it up. Meanwhile, my main drive with 10.11.1 is working fine with Sachesi, but I had gotten it working somehow prior to trashing the kext files, so there's no way to test it on my hard drive.
    VM is a different situation. The port detecting depends on whether the virtual machine program itself allows access, and if so how. If it's already mounted into the main system as a network drive, you would need to build the bridge of the network into the virtual machine, not detect the USB

If ioreg is showing the BB device correctly, it means that somehow the OS itself isn't correctly mounting the network drive, but again it could easily be a VM issue. If someone with the issue on apple hardware can verify that removing the BB kexts from extensions does not fix the problem, the issue may be bigger than we think, potentially much more integrated into the new system

I wonder if we did the opposite and instead of removing the BB kexts, whether removing the El Capitan native USBCDNCM.kext instead would work?
    10-23-15 04:33 PM
    VM is a different situation. The port detecting depends on whether the virtual machine program itself allows access, and if so how. If it's already mounted into the main system as a network drive, you would need to build the bridge of the network into the virtual machine, not detect the USB

If ioreg is showing the BB device correctly, it means that somehow the OS itself isn't correctly mounting the network drive, but again it could easily be a VM issue. If someone with the issue on apple hardware can verify that removing the BB kexts from extensions does not fix the problem, the issue may be bigger than we think, potentially much more integrated into the new system

I wonder if we did the opposite and instead of removing the BB kexts, whether removing the El Capitan native USBCDNCM.kext instead would work?
    Here are some facts and observations:

1. When I first set up the VM, the BB connected immediately. At that point there were no files of any kind from Link or BB on the VM.

2. Later, the BB wouldn't connect on the VM, but I had put Link on the VM.

3. Somehow, I got BB to connect on the VM again--I have no idea how--and today I broke that connection on the VM trying to fix it by taking the BB NCM kext out. It didn't work, and I no longer have a BB Network connection on the VM, even after removing all the BB kexts, etc., and removing Link.

4. Sacha says that Sachesi requires a Network connection but not any BB Link files on the computer. So I doubt that removing the native NCM kext file from El Capitan and replacing it with the BB Link NCM kext would solve the problem, and if it did, that's a bad workaround for the typical end user, since you have to disable SIP on the Mac to do that sort of thing.

5. I just now created a brand new OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 VM with Parallels, and the Passport makes a Network connection without any work on my part. Sachesi works. This VM has never seen any Link files. The ioreg utility shows it is using the Apple NCM.

So--El Capitan is not initially incompatible with the BB devices and they can connect as USB devices to the Network. Something happens after Link is installed, apparently, to corrupt things, and it isn't as simple as uninstalling Link or getting rid of the BB kext files. I don't know what is happening, but for the average end user of a Mac, who has upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan, it's going to be a problem, and you can't ask everyone to do a fresh install of EC and /not/ to bring over the old user files from, say, a Time Machine backup, just to make Sachesi and Link work. That said, I doubt that the Apple people are going to spend any time trying to fix this, and it's equally unlikely that the BB people are going to come up with anything soon. Even a new Link program (last one is dated July 10, 2015, or something like that) isn't likely to correct this problem and get rid of the corruption.
    10-23-15 06:55 PM
    Got sachesi working thanks to kenv54, i just uninstalled link/blend, plugged in phone ran sachesi and all was well! lol
    10-25-15 01:01 PM
    10-25-15 04:34 PM
42 12