07-11-15 10:04 AM
27 12
tools
    Well just loaded leak 10.3.2.798 on my AT&T STL-3 Z10 which was an update from 10.3.1.XXXX. My IT policy on my work Exchange 2007 server to not allow install of programs from untrusted sources completely removed the Amazon Appstore icon.

Right after loading 10.3.2.798 saw the icon for the Appstore, then once I added my exchange account it was just missing. Thought I was crazy or may have somehow deleted it even though I'm pretty sure that isn't possible.

To test I removed my work exchange account, downloaded the Amazon Appstore and logged into it. Thought everything was great until adding my work account back then it disappeared again.

FYI for those with restrictive IT exchange policies. I found the setting on the Exchange server to possibly remedy this, but with so many devices on our mail server rather not attempt the change and create a bunch of calls.
    06-06-15 10:11 PM
    Cool opportunity to get rid of all the bloatware without removing all the useless icons and apps manually via other tools after installing leaks on a regular base, even comes handy if the device is restarting to avoid repopulat of this junk.

Would be nice to use this exchange policy to clean out the system with a lot of other apps that come with OS10 in the 1st place like FB, Linkin, fourquare, Evernote, retaildemo, setupbuffet, Tutorial, Story Maker,BBVE, any useless nuance and language files and yes both of this annoying Amazon crap.. just to name a few.

Posted via BB-Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.*
    moyah8 and wojt7 like this.
    06-07-15 02:26 AM
    I totally agree. It's nice if the admins can do that.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    06-07-15 04:40 AM
    How do we remove the Amazon App itself?

This junk has to go people...

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    lift likes this.
    06-15-15 10:25 PM
    Unless your IT policy from your company does this, you don't.
    06-16-15 12:23 PM
    Blackberry. Get. Rid. Of. The. Bloatware.

06-16-15 12:27 PM
    Blackberry. Get. Rid. Of. The. Bloatware.

You can post all you want here all you like, not going to change anything in this regard. BlackBerry unless they fracture the agreement with Amazon, will not be removing the Amazon app store.
    06-16-15 12:33 PM
    I'm referring to the Amazon App. Not App store.

06-16-15 10:21 PM
    This is complete crap. Unless you're using balance, no one should be able to change my phone settings but ME. Total fail. Android does garbage like this, the email server can change all sorts of privacy settings and access things remotely due to the email server settings. My phone, my settings. Very annoyed by this news.
    06-18-15 11:00 AM
    This is complete crap. Unless you're using balance, no one should be able to change my phone settings but ME. Total fail. Android does garbage like this, the email server can change all sorts of privacy settings and access things remotely due to the email server settings. My phone, my settings. Very annoyed by this news.
    This is up to company policy on if they enable or not depending on what is allowed when connecting to their system. The activesync protocol contains these basic MDM features and BlackBerry10 is heavily developed around supporting as many of the protocol features as possible, much more so than ios or android. If using bes, then the mdm features are enhanced with their proprietary stuff such as a separate workspace where all work email and apps live separate from your personal side of the phone. The fail isn't on BlackBerry part, but on lack of corporate byod/cope/etc policy, failure to communicate policy, mistake in IT implementation, or user understanding.

So to be blunt, their network, their rules.

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    Kamika007z likes this.
    06-18-15 05:29 PM
    Sounds like your company has enforced a 'corporate-only' policy; this means the phone has to comply with the rules they set out. If Balance is enabled, you'll be able to install whatever apps you please on the personal side, and only white listed/approved apps on the corporate side. This is not a bug, this is a feature. If your company won't consider enabling Balance, you're stuck playing by their rules.

- former BES admin

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 08:26 PM
    I think it is a small BlackBerry setting bug. When I was on version 10.3.1 the Amazon app store worked fine, but when loading 10.3.2 my exchange server now sees the appstore as unsigned or untrusted (I can't remember the exact activesync setting) .

If BlackBerry would change the appstore app and Amazon app setting to trusted they should work fine.

One of the 10.3.1 builds also had this problem with updating amazon apps in the appstore which BlackBerry fixed in a later 10.3.1 build.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 10:32 PM
    Not the response you wanted, but I stopped using Balance @ my work. Not just because of the notifications, but because of their policies overriding the password policies on my personal space. 15 minute lock, 6 digit pin.. and told me they were changing it to 8 digit alphanumeric (not even just straight numbers). Honestly, the integration of Balance is awesome, but the policies the admins enforce on the personal half make it not worth it. Which is why I recommend the use of Good instead, then you don't have to deal with stupid policies.
    06-18-15 11:04 PM
    Not the response you wanted, but I stopped using Balance @ my work. Not just because of the notifications, but because of their policies overriding the password policies on my personal space. 15 minute lock, 6 digit pin.. and told me they were changing it to 8 digit alphanumeric (not even just straight numbers). Honestly, the integration of Balance is awesome, but the policies the admins enforce on the personal half make it not worth it. Which is why I recommend the use of Good instead, then you don't have to deal with stupid policies.
    That's a policy and admin issue, not a bes issue. Bes has capability separately enforce personal side lock and password, and they are not enabled by default. If enforced on your personal side then your company has chosen to do so. I'm a bes admin and the only personal security I set is enforced device encryption which allows for any password on personal side including picture password and allows device auto lock to be as long as 60 minutes.
    Sounds like your bes admins or the policy decision makers are being jerks if they are locking down personal side as much as work space.

06-18-15 11:31 PM
    I think it is a small BlackBerry setting bug. When I was on version 10.3.1 the Amazon app store worked fine, but when loading 10.3.2 my exchange server now sees the appstore as unsigned or untrusted (I can't remember the exact activesync setting) .

If BlackBerry would change the appstore app and Amazon app setting to trusted they should work fine.

One of the 10.3.1 builds also had this problem with updating amazon apps in the appstore which BlackBerry fixed in a later 10.3.1 build.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I don't use exchange so can't test that exact setup but I'll look into it. Are you on bb10.3.2 beta? If so submit bug if appears to be one.

Also, have you updated to the more recent 10.3.2.2204 release to see if it still happened there?

Last edited by Rodney Wilder; 06-18-15 at 11:45 PM.
    06-18-15 11:34 PM
    Not the beta, but was on the 10.3.2.798 leak from an autoloader.

Just updated to 10.3.2.2204 via autoloader and added my exchange account as the first thing after setup. Right after adding the exchange account flipped over to the apps page and watched the appstore icon dispapper right before my eyes. lol It is definitely because BB didn't sign or make the amazon appstore a trusted app.

I could always try to change the trusted apps selection on the exchange server for the activesync accounts to allow untrusted apps but it is nice not allowing others to install crazy stuff on their devices which I have to troubleshoot later when problems arise.
    06-19-15 01:12 PM
    Not the beta, but was on the 10.3.2.798 leak from an autoloader.

Just updated to 10.3.2.2204 via autoloader and added my exchange account as the first thing after setup. Right after adding the exchange account flipped over to the apps page and watched the appstore icon dispapper right before my eyes. lol It is definitely because BB didn't sign or make the amazon appstore a trusted app.

I could always try to change the trusted apps selection on the exchange server for the activesync accounts to allow untrusted apps but it is nice not allowing others to install crazy stuff on their devices which I have to troubleshoot later when problems arise.
    I'll report.

elangley likes this.
    06-19-15 03:25 PM
    Awesome thanks Rodney!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 05:02 PM
    I thought the whole point of balance was that the personal side is your phone and your settings? The work side should be locked and configured based on the corporate settings, but the personal side should be up to the owner of the phone.
    07-09-15 04:50 PM
    I thought the whole point of balance was that the personal side is your phone and your settings? The work side should be locked and configured based on the corporate settings, but the personal side should be up to the owner of the phone.
    Yes and no, it is dependent on the BES activation policy used as there are 3 categories of activation.
    Work only
    Work and personal - regulated (basically corporate owned and personal enabled but still enabled for full policy control and monitoring of full device)
    Work and personal - corporate (aka byod which ignores many policy settings on personal side)

07-09-15 05:15 PM
    Yes and no, it is dependent on the BES activation policy used as there are 3 categories of activation.
    Work only
    Work and personal - regulated (basically corporate owned and personal enabled but still enabled for full policy control and monitoring of full device)
    Work and personal - corporate (aka byod which ignores many policy settings on personal side)

BYOD should be work only. If it's a personal device, the personal side has no business being controlled by BES. I could see corporate owned changing personal settings, but at the very least it should tell you that this is happening and not just change personal settings without your knowledge. Ideally the personal side would never be controlled by BES, and for corporate owned phones the phone would have some setting changed on it to allow the personal side to be controlled. In other words, it should be up to a device setting whether or not the personal side is controlled.
    07-10-15 03:54 PM
    BYOD should be work only. If it's a personal device, the personal side has no business being controlled by BES. I could see corporate owned changing personal settings, but at the very least it should tell you that this is happening and not just change personal settings without your knowledge. Ideally the personal side would never be controlled by BES, and for corporate owned phones the phone would have some setting changed on it to allow the personal side to be controlled. In other words, it should be up to a device setting whether or not the personal side is controlled.
    Sorry but you seem to be misunderstanding.

Work only activation has no personal side to the device, only work side, exactly the opposite of just having a personal device.

The bes12 work and personal corporate, as I already mentioned has very little to no control over personal side as most of the policies affecting personal side are ignored by device. So your complaint about this is moot

When you connect to a BES, it is up to you and your employer to communicate on what will and will not happen. Even if you simply connect to a standard Activesync mail server such as exchange, you are connecting to their system and as such it's their rules, but yes, those should be communicated. How many people really bother to read the byod policy forms most companies give out though, really. About as many as read the itunes licensing agreement when they install the software I bet.

And no, it should not be up to the user on their own device as to what should and shouldn't be controlled when connecting to a corporate system. That would result in users simply bypassing all the security controls.

BYOD is a mess for this very reason. Lack of communication and nobody is ever happy and management tends to be a headache due to fuzzy lines. I even have users on corporate owned devices constantly complain about the basic lock policy I have enforced. Your workstation at the office has a password to connect and likely various security controls, and when connecting a mobile device to corporate system it is in basic terms a mobile pc with remote access to various corporate network resources, all from outside the network. This has to be controlled

07-10-15 05:02 PM
    Awesome thanks Rodney!

Posted via CB10
    Have you tested with latest beta 10.3.2.2339? I haven't heard back from my report but will poke them if still an issue

07-10-15 05:16 PM
    Sorry but you seem to be misunderstanding.

Work only activation has no personal side to the device, only work side, exactly the opposite of just having a personal device.

The bes12 work and personal corporate, as I already mentioned has very little to no control over personal side as most of the policies affecting personal side are ignored by device. So your complaint about this is moot

When you connect to a BES, it is up to you and your employer to communicate on what will and will not happen. Even if you simply connect to a standard Activesync mail server such as exchange, you are connecting to their system and as such it's their rules, but yes, those should be communicated. How many people really bother to read the byod policy forms most companies give out though, really. About as many as read the itunes licensing agreement when they install the software I bet.

And no, it should not be up to the user on their own device as to what should and shouldn't be controlled when connecting to a corporate system. That would result in users simply bypassing all the security controls.

BYOD is a mess for this very reason. Lack of communication and nobody is ever happy and management tends to be a headache due to fuzzy lines. I even have users on corporate owned devices constantly complain about the basic lock policy I have enforced. Your workstation at the office has a password to connect and likely various security controls, and when connecting a mobile device to corporate system it is in basic terms a mobile pc with remote access to various corporate network resources, all from outside the network. This has to be controlled

I don't misunderstand, I just happen to disagree with you. In my opinion, neither ActiveSync nor BES should be capable at all of controlling device settings, accessing or deleting data, etc. (with the exception of BES controlling things on the Work side). I have no problem with doing this on company owned devices. However, the only way I can think this would work with a phone would be to program something into the phone itself to signify that it is corporate owned so the user doesn't have control. But for my device, my rules. If the company wants to apply their rules, they need to buy the phones, or go with BB phones. I think I would feel differently if there was a very clear way to see permissions and see exactly what kind of control is desired of the phone by corporate rules and be notified through the device whenever changes are made or requested and be able to accept or reject them (and if you reject them maybe your access is severed and work accounts removed etc) without them being pushed silently. But from what I have seen, devices don't show you what control is given (other than a blanket statement) and it can change at any time without notice.
    07-10-15 06:18 PM
    I don't misunderstand, I just happen to disagree with you. In my opinion, neither ActiveSync nor BES should be capable at all of controlling device settings, accessing or deleting data, etc. (with the exception of BES controlling things on the Work side). I have no problem with doing this on company owned devices. However, the only way I can think this would work with a phone would be to program something into the phone itself to signify that it is corporate owned so the user doesn't have control. But for my device, my rules. If the company wants to apply their rules, they need to buy the phones, or go with BB phones. I think I would feel differently if there was a very clear way to see permissions and see exactly what kind of control is desired of the phone by corporate rules and be notified through the device whenever changes are made or requested and be able to accept or reject them (and if you reject them maybe your access is severed and work accounts removed etc) without them being pushed silently. But from what I have seen, devices don't show you what control is given (other than a blanket statement) and it can change at any time without notice.
    And this is why BYOD is failing in many companies, especially without BES. It's a headache with too many caveats as users realize attaching their personal device to company system involves giving various levels of control and trust over to the company.

Using the byod corporate policy on bes I think personal side is limited to pushing wifi and vpn profiles, enforcing encryption and enforcing password policy. I could be wrong but that's about as deep as it can push as most other settings on personal side are simply ignored.
    Of note, if the company wants to use the more controlling policies they have to buy more expensive Gold level licenses. Chances are if a company uses bes12 and allows byod, they are going to be using the limited and less expensive silver licenses as the main reason they allow byod is to try and cut costs.

07-10-15 08:08 PM
27 12