For the two latest leaks (2342 and 2354) I have noticed a new setup screen titled "Regional Update".

It would pause here indefinitely with the message "Customizing for your region" until I would give up and swipe left to continue the setup.

Everything would work out fine after that, but I am wondering if there is any consequences that I don't know about.

Anyone else getting this screen?

Check out my "What Were They Thinking?" channel: C000BB092
    05-30-13 03:36 AM
    For the two latest leaks (2342 and 2354) I have noticed a new setup screen titled "Regional Update".

It would pause here indefinitely with the message "Customizing for your region" until I would give up and swipe left to continue the setup.

Everything would work out fine after that, but I am wondering if there is any consequences that I don't know about.

Anyone else getting this screen?

This is partially why I don't touch the leaks any more. I keep saying it but no one wants to believe me. Some of the OS's out there are for specific carriers and as such, they have things in them that aren't really designed for every device. The mixing and matching of OS' from different carriers, making autoloaders, stuff like that.. while mostly fine, I believe still causes some weird issues. Just hybrids back in the day.

I realized this when one of the very first AT&T leaks came out. It ran like craaaaaap on my Z10 but the Rogers version of the same OS worked like a charm. Of course, someone will come along and say it's just looking for the carrier apps to install but I don't fully agree with that, personally. There's more to it.
    05-30-13 03:46 AM
    This is partially why I don't touch the leaks any more. I keep saying it but no one wants to believe me. Some of the OS's out there are for specific carriers and as such, they have things in them that aren't really designed for every device. The mixing and matching of OS' from different carriers, making autoloaders, stuff like that.. while mostly fine, I believe still causes some weird issues. Just hybrids back in the day.

I realized this when one of the very first AT&T leaks came out. It ran like craaaaaap on my Z10 but the Rogers version of the same OS worked like a charm. Of course, someone will come along and say it's just looking for the carrier apps to install but I don't fully agree with that, personally. There's more to it.
    I have to admit, 2342 was bad for my battery. I am hoping it will be different with 2354.

At worst, I will go back to 1880 which I think is the best build I have tried.
    05-30-13 03:50 AM
    Regional updates have been happening with every autoloader. It just depends on your carrier.
    05-30-13 05:02 AM
    Regional updates have been happening with every autoloader. It just depends on your carrier.
    We all know that... the point the OP is making is that they don't seem to do anything except hang on that screen.
    05-30-13 05:08 AM
    We all know that... the point the OP is making is that they don't seem to do anything except hang on that screen.
    Not true
    05-30-13 05:11 AM
    Not true
    True... they don't do anything, just hang.
    05-30-13 05:13 AM
    When I stated "new", they are new to me because I never noticed this screen until it started to hang.

Maybe before they were really quick to process, so I just swiped to the next setup screen and never really noticed. *shrug*

EDIT: Actually, I take it back, I really think this regional update is new, tonight alone I installed 5 different firmware (don't ask). I honestly don't think there was a regional update screen for the first three firmware I installed. I only noticed the regional update screen when installing 2342 and 2354.

*shrug* maybe it was always visible for other carriers? I'm with Rogers.

05-30-13 05:19 AM
    ...Some of the OS's out there are for specific carriers and as such, they have things in them that aren't really designed for every device. The mixing and matching of OS' from different carriers, making autoloaders, stuff like that.. while mostly fine, I believe still causes some weird issues. Just hybrids back in the day.
    This may be true for leaks which may be built to test specific features, but it's not for official releases. All carriers push the same files. They all have the same origin. So it may very well be that those regional updates are what is causing some issues. Some carriers apps may not be ready for the installed OS.
    05-30-13 05:36 AM
    Regional Updates is going to be used by BlackBerry to push region specific information. Example even though it's already built in, the warning system that the US BB10 devices get. I don't see any mention of that on other devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:33 AM
    This seems to be a bigger issue with me than others. All of my text messages now come through with a +1-(number) in addition to the regular number. So now everything comes through with 2 participants (more if I link them with facebook) and everything sends as an MMS message instead of SMS. I am on Verizon STL-04 with 10.1.0.2354 installed via the autoloader. Please help!
    06-07-13 01:31 PM

Hybreds are for fun and experimenting. Leaks are "enter at your own risk". Ones like 2009 are model/carrier specific. Even though they might almost work Ok on others.

I stick with the leaks for my phone/carrier. I just want something better then what Verizon sticks us with.

So far 2009 delivers on my Verizon Z10.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-07-13 01:39 PM
    Thank you. Is the link for 2009 still available?
    06-07-13 01:54 PM
    I want to point out a few point. When I select Indonesia as my region, I am seeing H on my network. When I select United States, I am seeing 2G, 3G and 4G on the same network. They are the same, just different wording.

- charles
    06-10-13 10:40 PM
    This seems to be a bigger issue with me than others. All of my text messages now come through with a +1-(number) in addition to the regular number. So now everything comes through with 2 participants (more if I link them with facebook) and everything sends as an MMS message instead of SMS. I am on Verizon STL-04 with 10.1.0.2354 installed via the autoloader. Please help!
    This happened to me with the same STL and OS. The best way to solve it is to delete those current threads and restart the phone. When it boots back up wait until the hub is fully loaded before using it. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you as well.

Posted via CB10
    labyrinth9 likes this.
    06-10-13 11:22 PM