Hello everyone,

As the subject indicates, I'm really tempted to load the leaked OS based on the positive feedback from the Crackberry community, however, I do have some reservations and wanted to see if my concerns were warranted.

1) I'm currently using a work device (i.e. on the company BES). Our emails have private and confidential client information. Would the loading of this leaked OS raise any red flags with our BES administrators, or put any data at risk on the device?
    2) Connected to above comment, will I have problems with reactivation to the BES server and getting company emails? I don't necessarily want to be advertising "hey ... i need a new activation code since I loaded a leaked OS".
    3) I've downloaded a bunch of apps on my device right now and have categorized everything and put them into various folders. Would loading this leaked OS preserve this categorization?
    4) Would I lose any of the apps I have now or the BBM conversations I had in progress? I know that when I switch providers (from big red to big blue), I lost all the BBM conversations. I still don't get how these conversations can't be migrated. WhatsApp does this fine. Perhaps I'm not doing something right, but it is frustrating to lose the conversations.

Would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you guys have on this?
    Thanks.
    12-06-13 10:26 AM
    I don't think you can load the leak if you are on a BES. I mean, you would need to set up your email accounts and what not again. Also you WILL LOSE all open BBM convos. So if there is something there you want to keep for posterity, you need to email to your self and keep as a word doc. At least this is what happens to me.

You will lose all your aps and it will have to be either re-downloaded or restored with a back up. There are some minor problems tho with backups, from what I have read.

The biggest issue is with you being on a BES. Someone who runs a BES or uses a BES would be able to tell you best.
    12-06-13 10:40 AM
    It's a beta release (not even officially) so you should be aware that it isn't going to be perfect and be prepared for some foibles... having said that, I've used it as my daily driver for about a month now and I'm pretty impressed by how stable it is. It has some rough edges but the platform is becoming more and more stable so its easier for them to bring out new features without introducing instabilities. On your specific questions:
    1) It's a BlackBerry... you aren't losing the security of your data. Your BES server guys won't likely care (and if they are worth their paychecks are also likely running the leak to stay ahead of their end users). That said, you do likely "sign" something with your carrier saying you'll only run THEIR versions of the OS so you are definitely in unsupported land with it... but backups/recover work OK so at worst case you have to revert.
    2) Our enterprise has a user front end for activations (Tangoe) so we can do it ourselves but your BES guys are probably used to hearing people say they had to refresh their devices and need the activation codes again.
    3) Unfortunately, you'l loose all of that. This isn't an over the air upgrade. You are starting from scratch so need to download everything again... It's a real PITA and one of the reasons I don't install many leaks. This one was compelling enough to make me want to go through the effort but YMMV.
    4) I suspect that if you restore all the application settings you can probably hang on to them.... but the restoration isn't often without problems so I wouldn't count on it. That would be a good feature for BBM (in cloud based records of your converstations - although I'd never trust Google with that).
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    12-06-13 10:42 AM
    Yes. These will be issues but you will also enjoy improvement and 10.2.1 os. I could find FM radio is a surprise addition in this release.

Prithvi, Z30 pin:2B631BE4 by CB10
    12-06-13 10:48 AM
    the bugs outweigh the benefits.

if you can install it and use with BES then totally jump on it.
    12-06-13 11:12 AM
    the bugs outweigh the benefits.

if you can install it and use with BES then totally jump on it.
    Sometimes, not always.

My latest bug that has crept in is in the wifi. It won't hold the wifi signal at my work. I had to switch back to my Nexus 4 until I figure out what's happening with the Zormtrooper. I may have to wipe and reset up. I was just going to try rooting my N4 but that will have to wait.
    12-06-13 11:20 AM
    I'm wouldn't load it in a work phone. I am in the same situation know with my Z30 and it is all official releases from now on.
    12-06-13 11:20 AM
    You could would likely be contravening company policy. An acquaintance of mine loaded a leak during the summer and got a severe warning about misuse of company property. It almost cost him his job. I'd check before going to the leak.

Edit: Tweaked opening.
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 12-06-13 at 11:46 AM.
    Wigley458, jaydee5799 and Mecca EL like this.
    12-06-13 11:32 AM
    It's almost a month old.. don't bother

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:33 AM
    You would likely be contravening company policy. An acquaintance of mine loaded a leak during the summer and got a severe warning about misuse of company property. It almost cost him his job. I'd check before going to the leak.
    Not true. Meaning. That it contravenes any company policy. Only thing I can see happening is if they give you a phone then have an agreement that you will not load anything period onto it without their approval. Including apps. But that is very very very rare.

And in most cases re doing the bes activation is a very simple deal.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    12-06-13 11:37 AM
    And also not true in the fact that all bbm open conversations have to be lost. If the loading of any os is done correctly with a restoration of backup and in the RIGHT ORDER then all conversations will be back. If you need help. I can do that for your ya. Just pm me and I'll add you to bbm. That's if you still want to try this.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    dalight13 likes this.
    12-06-13 11:39 AM
    Not true. Meaning. That it contravenes any company policy. Only thing I can see happening is if they give you a phone then have an agreement that you will not load anything period onto it without their approval. Including apps. But that is very very very rare.

And in most cases re doing the bes activation is a very simple deal.

Well, it certainly did apply in this case, for this fellow. And, my wife has to get permission to add even an app to her company device.

My point was that the OP should simply check before installing, or at least know the worst-case scenario. If he gets the blessing, great. I'm completely pro leak myself. I've slightly toned down my original comment based on your feedback.
    jaydee5799, Mecca EL and Wigley458 like this.
    12-06-13 11:54 AM
    We ran into that here at my office. If we manually add the connection and check hidden SSID it keeps the connection. If we just scan for it the connection continually drops.

Sometimes, not always.

My latest bug that has crept in is in the wifi. It won't hold the wifi signal at my work. I had to switch back to my Nexus 4 until I figure out what's happening with the Zormtrooper. I may have to wipe and reset up. I was just going to try rooting my N4 but that will have to wait.
    12-06-13 12:07 PM
    If the Blackberry is paid for by the company, don't load 10.2.1. If it's individual liable and you pay for it, you can do it. I am a BES Admin and have it on my device. However, if a user were to load a leak and have issues, I wouldn't support them unless they went to an official release.

We can see the OS level, but in reality I don't really look unless I'm doing something specific. I've got better things to do. Same reason I don't look at the users call logs very often.
    Wigley458 likes this.
    12-06-13 12:18 PM
    Maybe with bes you loose the BBM conversations because of how it is setup perhaps by the powers that be in your IT dept.

For me when I installed the leak I restored my backup and everything was as before, folders, BBM etc

I flick! Do you?
    12-06-13 12:26 PM
    I'm a BES Admin. I'm running 10.2.1.1055 and have no issues with it on my server whatsoever. Everything works. However, when you do the switch, your connection to the server will be reset and you'll have to request re-activation. I'll be honest. If someone randomly did this at work, I would not be pleased. However, if they came to me first and explained what they wanted to do (any good IT professional would keep up to date on BES news), and explain that it is fully compatible with no security issues, they should re-activate you. If it's a personal device, they shouldn't have a problem with allowing you to load the leak.

If you your device up with Link, your conversations should remain. I sadly lost progress on any Android port that I had loaded (i.e. Candy Crush), but I was happier having 10.2.1.

Good luck with your choice. After a few days of use and the software settled, 10.2.1 is pretty fantastic.
    Wigley458 likes this.
    12-06-13 12:43 PM
    I wouldn't do it. Bad idea. Ignoring your company's IT policy is a fun trip to the **** list.
    12-06-13 01:28 PM
    Well, it certainly did apply in this case, for this fellow. And, my wife has to get permission to add even an app to her company device.
    Odd, the whole point of BES and BB10 is that you can enjoy your apps in your personal space and they can insist you use company apps in the work space. Both worlds, one phone. I wonder if her IT people understand this core feature of BES 10
    12-06-13 01:47 PM
    Odd, the whole point of BES and BB10 is that you can enjoy your apps in your personal space and they can insist you use company apps in the work space. Both worlds, one phone. I wonder if her IT people understand this core feature of BES 10
    I neglected to mention -- my wife's company device is a 9900. So, no BES10 or Balance. They're still planning the migration to BB10 / BES10.
    12-06-13 02:02 PM
    Hello everyone,

As the subject indicates, I'm really tempted to load the leaked OS based on the positive feedback from the Crackberry community, however, I do have some reservations and wanted to see if my concerns were warranted.

1) I'm currently using a work device (i.e. on the company BES). Our emails have private and confidential client information. Would the loading of this leaked OS raise any red flags with our BES administrators, or put any data at risk on the device?
    2) Connected to above comment, will I have problems with reactivation to the BES server and getting company emails? I don't necessarily want to be advertising "hey ... i need a new activation code since I loaded a leaked OS".
    3) I've downloaded a bunch of apps on my device right now and have categorized everything and put them into various folders. Would loading this leaked OS preserve this categorization?
    4) Would I lose any of the apps I have now or the BBM conversations I had in progress? I know that when I switch providers (from big red to big blue), I lost all the BBM conversations. I still don't get how these conversations can't be migrated. WhatsApp does this fine. Perhaps I'm not doing something right, but it is frustrating to lose the conversations.

Would appreciate any feedback/thoughts you guys have on this?
    Thanks.
    If you save yoour chat history there's never a problem. You must go to settings

Posted via CB10 on my ? BlackBerry Q10
    12-06-13 02:21 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your input. You have cast some doubt on whether I should be doing this.

From a work perspective, I can only see them calling me and ask that I downgrade to the office-supported version. I don't recall signing anything that would suggest that I couldn't. I know this is not "permission" from them. And it is not like they have prevented us from downloading apps or anything.

I do wish for this new OS to be released officially. Not sure if I want to take the chance if I need to re-download all the apps and re-categorize them again, and on top of that, lose all of the BBM messages.

What to do, what to do.
    12-06-13 02:22 PM
    If you save yoour chat history there's never a problem. You must go to settings

Posted via CB10 on my ? BlackBerry Q10
    My Save Chat History has always been set to "ON". But whenever I switch devices, the individual BBM conversations seem to disappear, but the Group chat messages stay intact.
    12-06-13 02:27 PM