12-05-13 04:28 AM
49 12
tools
    To all you folks who have a reading disorder and device problems......
    FOR THE LAST TIME......
    We Know that this latest OS "leak" is excellent. And most of us have no issues.

RE LOAD THE OS.
    WHEN YOU RESTORE YOUR BACKUP...
    DO NOT RESTORE THE "SETTINGS!!
    only the media and contacts/calendar!

Restoring an older version of settings to a newer OS, kinda defeats the whole "upgrade" purpose!
    (and you wonder why you have issues!)
    Mecca EL and bluetroll like this.
    11-30-13 05:59 AM
    Not sure if this is in the right place. Albeit I agree with NOT restoring settings. Setup as 'new' is always best...
    11-30-13 06:05 AM
    I agree that doing a Restore causes issues!

But I don't agree that it defeats the purpose in doing an update. People don't won't to just start over every six months when an update is released. ( or every few weeks with a leak)

Not being able to make adjustments for existing user setting says a lot about BlackBerry software development.

Posted via CB10
    Dave79 likes this.
    11-30-13 09:49 AM
    I don't get it!
    Why would you install older (system) settings into a newer updated OS?
    It's just not logical! Updated OS's come with fixes and improvements.

It would be like not installing updated drivers on your PC!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-30-13 02:26 PM
    I think it is impotant to distinguish between released software and leaked software.

Blackberry is responsible(or at least should be) for released software.
    This includes making sure your old settings work with updated software. Paying customers have a right to expect this.

Blackberry has no such reponsibility with leaks.
    Fret Madden likes this.
    11-30-13 02:26 PM
    Not sure if this is in the right place. Albeit I agree with NOT restoring settings. Setup as 'new' is always best...
    It's not. But here it still is.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    11-30-13 04:52 PM
    I think it is impotant to distinguish between released software and leaked software.

This includes making sure your old settings work with updated software. Paying customers have a right to expect this.

BlackBerry OS prior to 10 was notorious for not being compatible with earlier releases. There is a history rife with examples.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-01-13 04:03 AM
    I don't get it!

That doesn't make sense to me. Updating drivers takes minutes and doesn't require anything other than a possible reboot. Windows' Service Packs, now that can be a different story.

As far as the logic to restoring settings - I partially agree with you. I don't mind the trade-off of manually resetting everything the way I want it in exchange for updating to whatever drops here on the forums. But there's a good many folks around here that don't want to do that when there IS a restore option that's supposed to work, and doing it manually can mean adjusting for a good hour or more. Myself, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes just getting my accounts set up. Then there's the list of Wi-Fi profiles, adjusting sounds, phone settings, rearranging app screens, etc, before I even get to the apps.

I personally wish they'd employ notifications for restores in which the settings for new options got left out of restoring and required attention after rebooting.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-01-13 06:04 AM
    Is it really too much to ask to put posts like this in the proper forum? News and rumours. Is this news? No. Is this a rumour? No.

Why? I can't say what I'm really thinking. I'd get banned.
    12-01-13 07:05 AM
    Call me a defeatist , but I prefer carrying over all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years. Browser bookmarks, memos, word substitutes, custom contact ringtones, etc. I know and accept the risks, since I read the leak threads.

Those whom you are addressing won't read this, anymore than they did where this notice belongs and is posted, within those leak OS threads, where the issue occurs. Nigh,what is needed, would be more patience responding to members with problems, or the personal restraint from lashing out, when one gets riled up, seeing yet another post complaining they have a problem, and restore is believed to be the cause.

Stay calm, polite, and by all means pantless
    12-01-13 07:37 AM
    Call me a defeatist , but I prefer carrying over all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years. Browser bookmarks, memos, word substitutes, custom contact ringtones, etc. I know and accept the risks, since I read the leak threads.

Those whom you are addressing won't read this, anymore than they did where this notice belongs and is posted, within those leak OS threads, where the issue occurs. Nigh,what is needed, would be more patience responding to members with problems, or the personal restraint from lashing out, when one gets riled up, seeing yet another post complaining they have a problem, and restore is believed to be the cause.

Stay calm, polite, and by all means pantless
    BRILLIANT!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-01-13 07:43 AM
    To all you folks who have a reading disorder and device problems......
    FOR THE LAST TIME......
    We Know that this latest OS "leak" is excellent. And most of us have no issues.

RE LOAD THE OS.
    WHEN YOU RESTORE YOUR BACKUP...
    DO NOT RESTORE THE "SETTINGS!!
    only the media and contacts/calendar!

Restoring an older version of settings to a newer OS, kinda defeats the whole "upgrade" purpose!
    (and you wonder why you have issues!)
    http://bestanimations.com/Animals/Ma...ey-01-june.gif
    I'm keeping off 10.2.1 for now but on all previous leaks I ALWAYS restored my settings and the worst "issue" I had was that a black background in contacts wouldn't stick... (interestingly fixed itself when the official 10.2 was pushed out as an update to leaked 10.2).

You might have a lot of spare time in your life to re-enter all your settings and reconfigure all your apps, many people haven't - nor do they have the patience to do so. Also, you had to restore settings to restore the passwords in password keeper (I know there is an export now) - and no, I won't trust a "script kid" barely out of school with my passwords in a third party application with questionable security.

Lastly, the restoring software should be robust enough to handle restores across OS versions - it should update any databases appropriately, if it does not, that need updating.
    Yes, restoring on a leaked OS is not perfect and we should be aware that there may be issues, BUT it is a necessity for some and very much necessary in a production environment.
    12-01-13 07:50 AM

You are aware that ALL bbos comes from BlackBerry, right? You can convince yourself until you're blue in the face, but every leak that is ever loaded comes with a BlackBerry user agreement and legal notice. Loading a leak is no more dangerous than loading an OTA from your carrier.

And in the case where any leaked software is released with KNOWN bugs, I am personally against leaking said OS, to prevent supporting the idea that leaked software is dangerous or can break ones device. It's ALWAYS user error, then faulty hardware.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:14 AM
    You are aware that ALL bbos comes from BlackBerry, right? You can convince yourself until you're blue in the face, but every leak that is ever loaded comes with a BlackBerry user agreement and legal notice. Loading a leak is no more dangerous than loading an OTA from your carrier.

And in the case where any leaked software is released with KNOWN bugs, I am personally against leaking said OS, to prevent supporting the idea that leaked software is dangerous or can break ones device. It's ALWAYS user error, then faulty hardware.

Posted via CB10
    remember when update OTA cause sms lost
    and last update cause android runtime broken that is update OTA
    agreed with you mecca

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-01-13 08:18 AM
    Just to be safe I always set up the phone from new. Contacts get stored on the sd and is the only thing that is restored. Never had an issue with leaks working like this. Other than bugs in the leaks of course

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-01-13 08:27 AM
    I don't know who is right but I have Always, always backed up and restored ALL setting when installing a leak. I NEVER do a wipe...never have. funny part is that I never have these leak issues that others have.

When you get an OS update from BB, does it not back up and restore your settings to the new OS automatically??

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ok I had been thinking that a leak was a way for Blackberry to pretend that someone in QA had posted an internal build. I am now thinking it is a way partially circumvent carrier approval. Is this correct?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-01-13 08:50 AM
    remember when update OTA cause sms lost
    and last update cause android runtime broken that is update OTA
    agreed with you mecca

Posted via CB10
    So if a person calls Blackberry support and they are running a leak will support help them?
    12-01-13 09:06 AM
    I'm keeping off 10.2.1 for now but on all previous leaks I ALWAYS restored my settings and the worst "issue" I had was that a black background in contacts wouldn't stick... (interestingly fixed itself when the official 10.2 was pushed out as an update to leaked 10.2).

You might have a lot of spare time in your life to re-enter all your settings and reconfigure all your apps, many people haven't - nor do they have the patience to do so. Also, you had to restore settings to restore the passwords in password keeper (I know there is an export now) - and no, I won't trust a "script kid" barely out of school with my passwords in a third party application with questionable security.

Lastly, the restoring software should be robust enough to handle restores across OS versions - it should update any databases appropriately, if it does not, that need updating.
    Yes, restoring on a leaked OS is not perfect and we should be aware that there may be issues, BUT it is a necessity for some and very much necessary in a production environment.
    In theory, this would be the ideal situation. In practice, there is no OS in existence that restores cleanly, from a backup. None. Relying on software to "do it for me"... it's this mentally that does the most damage to any system, mobile or otherwise. Due diligence, and counting on your own working knowledge is the safest and most sane way to enjoy electronic devices.

I'm in no way attacking your comment, logic, or person. I've restored my device faster than any Link back-up or OTA install ever could.

Posted via CB10
    Fret Madden likes this.
    12-01-13 09:24 AM
    Ok I had been thinking that a leak was a way for Blackberry to pretend that someone in QA had posted an internal build. I am now thinking it is a way partially circumvent carrier approval. Is this correct?
    BOOYAH!!! But you didn't hear it from me!

Most in the community view me as a pirate, so I COULD be misleading you... cough-not-cough.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-01-13 09:29 AM
    So if a person calls Blackberry support and they are running a leak will support help them?
    They can NOT. This does NOT mean the complaint falls on deaf ears. Remember, when 1055 first leaked, BB Bridge was broken...BOOM!! A day or so later, Bridge has an update. What would one call that, a coincidence?
    12-01-13 09:32 AM
    I don't get it!

Settings is a broad term, settings can be OS settings to personal settings (like ringtones)... How is loading an older OS's settings illogical? Other leaks have had no issues with loading settings from older OS's like I have done so many times.

I understand your frustration but while you may have a good understanding of operating systems and whatnot other people may not, and like BigBadWulf said we need to exercise patience when dealing with complaints from 'novice' users.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-01-13 09:33 AM
    Settings is a broad term, settings can be OS settings to personal settings (like ringtones)... How is loading an older OS's settings illogical? Other leaks have had no issues with loading settings from older OS's like I have done so many times.

I understand your frustration but while you may have a good understanding of operating systems and whatnot other people may not, and like BigBadWulf said we need to exercise patience when dealing with complaints from 'novice' users.
    Settings includes all those things. The difference between leaks and official releases is that they update BlackBerry Link, other programs, to ensure a smooth transition when you restore.

A leak is just work in progress.... Do you start cleaning your pan while you are using it?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:37 AM
    I could be convinced that post leak errors come from restoring settings if it was consistent. But think about it, most of the time the same error is reported from a large number of leak installers who both do and don't restore their settings. I've always replaced everything from backup and I rarely have a problem....but when I do I've noticed many of us have the SAME issue. Gotta be more than a coincidence.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by eBud; 12-01-13 at 09:54 AM.
    12-01-13 09:41 AM
    Settings includes all those things. The difference between leaks and official releases is that they update BlackBerry Link, other programs, to ensure a smooth transition when you restore.

A leak is just work in progress.... Do you start cleaning your pan while you are using it?

Posted via CB10
    It depends. If I amtrying to be all fancy when cooking and want no spills on the outside or edges of the pan, I may wipe up things that may spill or run down on the outside... so yes sometimes I do clean my pan when I am using it...

Just be patient and helpful man... no need to be angry at novice users... each one, teach one in a helpful way... the CrackBerry way!
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    12-01-13 09:44 AM
49 12