Excuse my questions but i'm very new to OS 10 . I'm someone who was always using BB up to OS 7 and left Blackberry because they took too long bringing something new to the table . However now I'm back from a painful Windows Phone joke and I'm here to stay .
    Now , regarding upgrading my Q5 device to the latest 10.3 i would like some basic questions answered . I'm probably tech savy enough to find the rest of the path .

Question 1 :
    On the BlackBerry Developer website i read

Please be sure to create a second BlackBerry ID for your Dev Alpha device. If you use your existing BlackBerry ID, all BBM contacts could be transferred from your current BlackBerry device to your Dev Alpha device and they will be erased from your current BlackBerry device.
    Does everyone do this ? Can't i just use my normal Blackberry ID without issues ? The only and biggest "danger" is indeed that i'm losing my BBM contacts and nothing else ? I have only 1 BB device .. .

Question 2 :
    What is the difference between 10.3 hybrid i read about in the forums and the official 10.3 "Dev Alpha" which can be downloaded here

Which of these versions are most people using to upgrade a 10.2 Q5 to 10.3 ?

Question 3 :
    Why does Blackberry sais it's a "Dev Alpha" ? Everyone in the forums seems to speak about a "beta" .

Question 4 :
    Will I be able to upgrade to 10.3 final without doing a complete whipe and keep my data or is this not possible/recommended ?
    05-25-14 02:38 PM
    I'm not trying to be rude, but if you pulled that specific piece of information intended for app developers and have those kinds of questions then I suggest you stay on your official release.
    05-25-14 02:40 PM
    Your comment is not only rude , but heavily off-topic .
    If you can't answer simple questions do not bother to reply .
    FrankIAm and moyah8 like this.
    05-25-14 03:47 PM
    Why do want to upgrade to the 10.3 DEVELOPER BETA? Unless you are planning to use it to test apps? It is a stripped down OS, and most definitely not recommended.
    05-25-14 03:52 PM
    Excuse my questions but i'm very new to OS 10 . I'm someone who was always using BB up to OS 7 and left Blackberry because they took too long bringing something new to the table . However now I'm back from a painful Windows Phone joke and I'm here to stay .
    Now , regarding upgrading my Q5 device to the latest 10.3 i would like some basic questions answered . I'm probably tech savy enough to find the rest of the path .

Question 1 :
    On the BlackBerry Developer website i read

Does everyone do this ? Can't i just use my normal Blackberry ID without issues ? The only and biggest "danger" is indeed that i'm losing my BBM contacts and nothing else ? I have only 1 BB device .. .

Question 2 :
    What is the difference between 10.3 hybrid i read about in the forums and the official 10.3 "Dev Alpha" which can be downloaded here

Which of these versions are most people using to upgrade a 10.2 Q5 to 10.3 ?

Question 3 :
    Why does Blackberry sais it's a "Dev Alpha" ? Everyone in the forums seems to speak about a "beta" .

Question 4 :
    Will I be able to upgrade to 10.3 final without doing a complete whipe and keep my data or is this not possible/recommended ?
    Q1) I used the sdk for my z10 and didn't change anything and all is fine not saying it won't happen to you but mine was fine.

Q2) the one here in the forum has the bar files for most all the apps the sdk has very few.

Q3) it's for developers to test their apps on.

Q4) your best bet is to backup for when it is a valuable.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 04:02 PM
    Question 1- you only have one phone so you are not in danger on this question

Question 2- I would use the 296/441 hybrid as I hear the battery life is good... I'm on the sdk and battery life is not good and is a bit buggy

Question 3- asking that particular question is why some suggested you don't load any leak or beta.. loading or setting up the phone incorrectly can brick it... I would not load if you are confused

Question 4- you will be able to upgrade when it is released

Again I urge if you are still uncertain continue enjoying what you know works 100%. You will get some new features with the latest, but, lose some stability

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 04:07 PM
    Then I sincerely apologize.

1.- You can keep the same BBID, everyone does it. Even if you decide you do not like 10.3, if you go back to 10.2.1 you can keep using the same one with no issues.

2.- OSes come in two parts, the OS itself, and the radio file (the phone part). OSes in development sometimes come only for a specific device.

So if you want to load it on another phone, the OS would be compatible, but not the radio file, effectively taking out the "phone" part from "smartphone" (no calls, no texts, etc).

That is, unless a good soul in this forum takes some time to find a radio file from another OS that works on your device and makes a previously unsupported phone be able to make calls and stuff.

The "Dev Alpha (as you call it)" is a barebones OS, intended for developers to test their apps on. Those do come with a radio for all devices, since they are "official" but lack a lot of apps since a developer wouldn't normally need them for testing. Those you can sideload from a previous and compatible release to make it a complete OS.

3.- Dev Alpha is how BlackBerry calls their prototypes they send to developers, that's what the page is talking about. If you scroll down just a little bit you can see "10.3 beta Autoloaders". The beta thing everyone talks about is the OS.

4.- Once 10.3 drops and there is and your carrier pushes you the update, or you do it via Sachesi (software that grabs updates from other carriers), you can update without erasing your data. I wouldn't recommend it, however.

EDIT: here is a picture of a normal Q10 (left) against its dev alpha. It's called the "Dev Alpha C" (right).
    Attachment 273628
    05-25-14 04:07 PM
    Thank you for all the helpful comments ! This clears up a lot of the mist for me .

I've used and tested a lot with betas before , but as I said that was only up till OS 7 back in the day when I was BES admin .
    OS 10 , new OS , new rules

I'm glad to be back !
    05-26-14 03:13 AM