So I have a question about something which I imagine everyone here has experienced.

I'll start with the backstory:
    Yesterday, my red blackberry passport arrived. I loaded up the latest available leak, entered my accounts and set up everything from scratch, and stood by shocked as the phone began to eat up 10% an hour of battery life while in standby, suggesting a 100% charge would get me 10-12 hours.

That continued pretty much all day. And somehow, today, my 100% charge now indicates it will last me a day and 13 hours (and doesn't seem to be discharging nearly as quickly). Maybe it will say three days tomorrow...

Of course, I noticed the same thing on my Z10 and Q10 when using autoloaders.

I'm wondering if anyone can let me know the specific, technical reason for this, in terms of what it is the phone is doing throughout the day of initial set-up. Note that I start from scratch with an autoloader and I don't restore anything. Is it encrypting its whole file system? Indexing the file system? Other security features? Something else?

More than anything else, I'm just curious about this, because android and iOS phones I've had have had pretty good battery life from the initial flash of an OS, so I'm wondering what BB10 is doing differently.
    01-08-15 11:42 AM
    Its all about qnx.

Reserved.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:39 PM
    "Indexing"

Because I'm on BES, it's checking every contact, calendar item and e-mail. The resulting radio activity means that battery performance sucks for about the first 48 hours or so.
    01-08-15 01:21 PM
    Indexing will surely take some part in the first 24-48hrs of upgrade/reload OS especially on clean install (no backup restore).

In this case the 'key reasons are synchronization, which came from:

1. amount of bbm contacts: you'll notice that if you do clean install it will synchronizing with contact names and contact pictures.
    2. amount of bb group: synchronizing with the amount of members in the group as well as pictures uploaded to the groups.
    3. If you use let say whatsapp, it will synchronize with the amount of phone contacts that you have.
    4. emails, default when adding new email account in BlackBerry is 30 days, so if you use gmail, yahoo, hotmail kind of email hosts that still leave emails in the server and you don't set it to let say 1 day during setting up account, it will download all your emails from 30 days ago.
    5. Network quality (this is the foremost important part in synchronizing process) : if you have poor network connection, your device will have to work hard even longer time to finalize the synch process, that's why it is recommended to use good wifi connection when you just upgrading/reloading your OS.

I believe I've left some other processes in my comments so feel free for others to add it
    Matt Jude likes this.
    01-08-15 01:44 PM
    Indexing will surely take some part in the first 24-48hrs of upgrade/reload OS especially on clean install (no backup restore).

In this case the 'key reasons are synchronization, which came from:

1. amount of bbm contacts: you'll notice that if you do clean install it will synchronizing with contact names and contact pictures.
    2. amount of bb group: synchronizing with the amount of members in the group as well as pictures uploaded to the groups.
    3. If you use let say whatsapp, it will synchronize with the amount of phone contacts that you have.
    4. emails, default when adding new email account in BlackBerry is 30 days, so if you use gmail, yahoo, hotmail kind of email hosts that still leave emails in the server and you don't set it to let say 1 day during setting up account, it will download all your emails from 30 days ago.
    5. Network quality (this is the foremost important part in synchronizing process) : if you have poor network connection, your device will have to work hard even longer time to finalize the synch process, that's why it is recommended to use good wifi connection when you just upgrading/reloading your OS.

I believe I've left some other processes in my comments so feel free for others to add it
    I don't know if that's necessarily what's going on in my case, though... I have the same result leaving everything as default and not loading any apps, not inputting any emails.

I have I think 4 bbm contacts, so I doubt it's that.

Then again, my passport is back to saying 12 hours for a 100% charge, so there's probably something else going on. I'll have to figure it out.
    01-08-15 03:05 PM
    I don't know if that's necessarily what's going on in my case, though... I have the same result leaving everything as default and not loading any apps, not inputting any emails.

I have I think 4 bbm contacts, so I doubt it's that.

Then again, my passport is back to saying 12 hours for a 100% charge, so there's probably something else going on. I'll have to figure it out.
    I believe you have problem with your charger, when you talk about charging your passport, it can't be more than 5 hrs max at the most
    01-08-15 03:09 PM
    I believe you have problem with your charger, when you talk about charging your passport, it can't be more than 5 hrs max at the most
    Sorry, I didn't explain correctly. When the phone is charged to 100%, the phone says that it will last 12 hours (now it's back to saying 2 days, and I'm still trying to figure out why). It doesn't take 12 hours to charge the phone.
    01-08-15 04:09 PM
    Sorry, I didn't explain correctly. When the phone is charged to 100%, the phone says that it will last 12 hours (now it's back to saying 2 days, and I'm still trying to figure out why). It doesn't take 12 hours to charge the phone.
    That will be normal, it will say 2 days if it is in idle mode (when you don't receive phone call and regularly look and use your phone), 12 hrs is calculated the way you are using your phone and might be more or less depends on how frequent you use your phone
    01-08-15 04:21 PM
    Yeah. I'm talking about when not using the phone, and checking every 30 minutes to see how much the battery drained. In that situation, the phone should last a lot more than 12 hours on a full charge, one would think... Unfortunately, it really does drain roughly 5% per hour for seemingly no reason with System as the #1 battery hog, so I'm trying to figure it out. Maybe an issue with the leak, maybe something else, but disappointing nonetheless.
    01-08-15 06:11 PM
    You say you have seen this also with your Z10 & Q10. Did they settle down all by themselves? I would suggest a hard reset in the meantime.

Z10 STL 100-3 OS 10.3.1.1154
    01-08-15 07:33 PM
    Indexing....

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1949
    01-08-15 08:27 PM
    It's odd. The Passport is supposed to have such great battery life, but I haven't seen it. The best I've seen is 2% an hour idling while not in airplane mode.

The possible causes I can think of is that I need an android app (Line) in the background listening for notifications, and I'm using Talk2Watch with a pebble, but these don't seem to have as much of an effect on my Q10 as they do on my Passport.

If it really is indexing, I don't know how indexing can take more than 30 hours...
    01-08-15 11:24 PM
    It's odd. The Passport is supposed to have such great battery life, but I haven't seen it. The best I've seen is 2% an hour idling while not in airplane mode.

The possible causes I can think of is that I need an android app (Line) in the background listening for notifications, and I'm using Talk2Watch with a pebble, but these don't seem to have as much of an effect on my Q10 as they do on my Passport.

If it really is indexing, I don't know how indexing can take more than 30 hours...
    I think you misinterpreted what everyone mean when saying :"Passport has great battery life ". It is not about percentage lost, as this depends only of the OS and how you are using your device. It's about the big battery inside the Passport which makes it last longer than others devices.
    01-09-15 12:13 AM
    Leak os which is not optimized for the passport and battery problems....
    01-09-15 09:53 AM
    Have you tried a hard reset?

Can you post your battery usage in device monitor?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 07:15 PM
    The latest leak on my PP took almost 2 weeks, when the battery finally settled down and since then ist pretty acceptable, but as mentioned in some former posts here, it do takes time...so when the final and official 10.3.1 will finally out, the same story again i guess...
    01-09-15 08:14 PM
    If you can, as soon as you open your new BlackBerry box, connect it through a WiFi Hotspot and let your BlackBerry sync through it. You're going to reduce those 48 hours of lousy battery life to one.

It's even better if you can keep your BlackBerry plugged in and, while it's plugged in, you add your mail, contacts, BES, Evernote and Facebook accounts in quick succession. You'll abuse your BlackBerry and your charger, but you'll cut short your suffering.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 04:09 PM