This may well be a silly question but it's one that's been on my mind for a while now and has been resurrected by the recent 'leak':

What, in particle terms, is the difference between installing via an autoloader or blitzing the files? Is one anymore efficient? Does one give you more control over what loads? ETC.

I currently blitz but am wondering if I'm missing out

Cheers
    10-24-17 08:53 AM
    What does blitzing mean?

Some of us take the blitz and radio files and make an Autoloader. For me an Autoloader allows for a clean install of the OS, and then I manually recreate account and add other apps.

Using a blitz file to mimic an OTA update... allows you to not loose and data and not to have to deal with rebuilding your phone. Should make of a very easy transition, if all goes well.

The issue is when it doesn't all go well.... I've had devices brick trying to do an OTA installation, which means I got to do a clean install anyway. I've had things get very buggy (especially the contact app) that required a clean install anyway. From the early days, I just got in the habit of doing a clean install.... at this point with BB10.3.3, not sure it is as necessary or not. Just works for me.
    maddestmaxever likes this.
    10-24-17 09:10 AM
    What does blitzing mean?

Some of us take the blitz and radio files and make an Autoloader. For me an Autoloader allows for a clean install of the OS, and then I manually recreate account and add other apps.

Using a blitz file to mimic an OTA update... allows you to not loose and data and not to have to deal with rebuilding your phone. Should make of a very easy transition, if all goes well.

The issue is when it doesn't all go well.... I've had devices brick trying to do an OTA installation, which means I got to do a clean install anyway. I've had things get very buggy (especially the contact app) that required a clean install anyway. From the early days, I just got in the habit of doing a clean install.... at this point with BB10.3.3, not sure it is as necessary or not. Just works for me.
    Thanks for the explanation, kinda knew that but not a tech head so needed confirmation. Apologies for the terminology.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-17 10:54 AM
    Autoloader: Destructive... Wipes device... Clean install. Backup before using if you want to keep any of your data.

Blitz: Non-destructive, similar to OTA update. If it fails, see Autoloader above.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    maddestmaxever likes this.
    10-24-17 05:19 PM
    How do I use BLITZ to update my BB10

Posted via CB10
    01-23-18 06:54 AM
    Hi everyone. Can I Blitz my Passport to downgrade from 10.3.3.3216 to 10.3.3.3057? Thanks!
    11-07-18 01:05 PM
    Hi everyone. Can I Blitz my Passport to downgrade from 10.3.3.3216 to 10.3.3.3057? Thanks!
    Yed, but I can't think of a good reason why

Posted via CB10
    11-07-18 03:22 PM
    To try and get rid of an annoying problem I currently have on 3126 which is I cannot backup or restore with Link which had never happened to me before in four years of Passport use. I do need not to lose any apps, app data, or device settings when blitzing down to 3057, and I am still worried
    Last edited by goncal; 11-07-18 at 03:32 PM. Reason: type
    11-07-18 03:29 PM
    To try and get rid of an annoying problem I currently have on 3126 which is I cannot backup or restore with Link which had never happened to me before in four years of Passport use. I do need not to lose any apps, app data, or device settings when blitzing down to 3057, and I am still worried
    Can you be sure it's because of the OS? When and how did the upgrade occur?

When was the last time Link worked for you? Does it at least see your phone when connected? Do the phone's internal memory/sd card show up as drive in the file mamager?

Is this on a PC or a Mac? If a PC, is it Win 10, and was there a recent update?
    11-07-18 03:41 PM
    Yes to all, and Link on the various computers I've tried all work well with two other Passports and a Z30.
    This was an OTA update I never requested, admittedly I never switched off auto update after autoloading 3057.

Last time I backed up was 13 Oct on 3126 too.

Seen I've run out of options I'd like to try downgrading as long as I don't lose any information on the phone....
    11-07-18 03:46 PM
    To try and get rid of an annoying problem I currently have on 3126 which is I cannot backup or restore with Link which had never happened to me before in four years of Passport use.
    I don't believe the OS is the problem but you can try. Link is notoriously fickle with connections and it could be just some Windows update that has disabled something. If the OS change was the problem we would have seen many more complaints about that here on CB. Complaints about Link itself have been around forever.
    11-07-18 04:55 PM
    Agree. OS is probably broken on my Passport IMHO in which case Blitzing it back on may or may not help. Link or PC software not the problem as tried on numerous computers and virtual machines and Link on them all works well with a couple other Passports and a Z30.

Do hope to be able to restore just the OS without damaging or wiping data.
    11-07-18 04:59 PM
    Link is pretty unreliable. I can back up my Playbook but not my Passport. The Passport hasn't worked for years though, regardless of the OS.

Link can see it and transfer files but just not back up.

I wish I could give you some advice but all I can offer is good luck in this case?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-18 02:26 AM
    Link is pretty unreliable. I can back up my Playbook but not my Passport. The Passport hasn't worked for years though, regardless of the OS.

Link can see it and transfer files but just not back up.

I wish I could give you some advice but all I can offer is good luck in this case?

Posted via CB10
    Thank you James. I'll just have to revert to my 13 Oct backup. Link has always worked well for me - XP, Vista, 7, 2008R2. I think the culprit might be a warped OTA from 3057 or the fact that over a week ago I used my Passport rather intensively whilst showing 0pc battery, it was an emergency so I even switched battery saving off. The phone kept on working, never switched itself off, but did stutter a fair bit. Maybe nasty things happened then.

Also my brother has a Mac laptop and Link didn't work well on it at all when trying to do a device switch. I then told him to use a Windoze computer and driver issues went away. Sometimes I think Cook would just rather Link found some new troublesome library on current OSX than have it work and after all Link hasn't been updated for a while (Blend doesn't even work on W10 or Mac any more).
    11-09-18 05:50 PM