03-20-17 01:47 PM
156 1234 ...
tools
    Sorry to asking noob question, can anyone explain me what is PGP keys?

Z10 STL 1, OS 10.3.2.304
    PGP is "Pretty Good Privacy".

It's public-key cryptography. You have a private key nobody has but you (with a password protecting it) and a public key everyone is given. Anyone with your public key can send you something only you can read.

Now here's the problem -- how do you get someone your public key? PGP never solved this really, although there are public key servers around the net (MIT runs one, for instance.) Then there's the other problem -- your key is compromised, how do you tell someone? For these reasons it kinda sucks and it never really took off outside Geekdom.

For small groups where you can manage the key ring it's a decent solution. But only decent.

S/MIME has advantages. It leverages public key infrastructure used for SSL certificates on web sites, so there is a revocation server notification infrastructure. It sends your public key and cipher capabilities with every signature, so if you get a signed email from me you can reply back encrypted. These are good things, and make it easier to use in the wider world.

But having both available is nice. Note that BlackBerry is the only mobile OS that makes BOTH available to the plebes starting in 10.3.2. And yeah, that's a good thing.
    chgaida and zmsox like this.
    04-20-15 10:47 PM
    Sorry to asking noob question, can anyone explain me what is PGP keys?

Z10 STL 1, OS 10.3.2.304
    A keypair of public and private key to sign, encrypt and decrypt messages (or anything else). Just google for PGP or gnupg or openPGP.

Edit: Oh, I'm a bit late...
    04-21-15 02:40 PM
    Thanks guys..

Z10 STL 1, OS 10.3.2.304
    04-21-15 08:42 PM
    I have tested PGP again on 10.3.2.500 and it is working totally fine with two outlook 365 exchange accounts.
    No BES needed.
    No more need for additional apps. Everything right in the hub, Finally!

The only hassle is to import your private and public key. As tickerguy mentioned above the keys have to be in one file, you cannot import them separately. I'm using Gpg4win and had to export my private key via the command line of the GNU Privacy Assistant like this:

gpg --export-secret-keys -a A1234567 > mysecretkey.asc

where A1234567 is the ID of the key

Then I copied my public key to the top of the mysecretkey.asc file, so both keys are combined

Transferred the file to the sd card and imported it, you get asked for the passphrase et voil!
    Last edited by geodorn; 04-22-15 at 06:44 PM.
    danielsamwel and zmsox like this.
    04-22-15 06:31 PM
    You have to import both keys in the same file. Not separatedly.
    04-23-15 01:03 PM
    You have to import both keys in the same file. Not separatedly.
    That's exactly what is described in the post above...

posted via CB10 on a Classic
    04-23-15 01:43 PM
    Hey,

I am running now .500 now and I am still notable to import a public key from my bank which works perfectly fine with other pgp programms. The key can be downloaded here: 1822direkt.de/pgp5key.asc Can anyone try if they can import this?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:35 PM
    Hey,

I still have problems importing public keys. Can anyone try to import the key from this source (I am not yet allowed to post link so please add htt.s//ww... infront): 1822direkt.de/pgp5key.asc

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:39 PM
    I can import it on Thunderbird but not on BB10.

The reason is that it is a DSA key (for signature) with an Elgemal key (for encryption) behind it; those won't work with BB10. You need an RSA key.

(This is one of the "gotchas" with PGP generally, incidentally..... )
    zmsox likes this.
    04-23-15 06:25 PM
    I have tested PGP again on 10.3.2.500 and it is working totally fine with two outlook 365 exchange accounts.
    No BES needed.
    How do you decrypt messages? Importing works flawlessly, I can encrypt and I can sign my messages. But I still can't decrypt messages!?!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:49 AM
    That's sad that BB does not support DSA. Other programs have no issues with this. Now I can just hope for PGpgp to be updated with HUB integration. The BB solution is useless for me ...
    04-24-15 10:31 AM
    The good news is, PGP *should* work now. Without BES! At least in the Beta. The bad news is, for now I can't decrypt messages. But the rest seems to work.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:48 AM
    Currently on 10.3.2.500 it seems to be limited to messages you send from the device. You can encrypt and sign a message from the device and it will be decrypted fine on an other BB10 10.3.2.500 device. But these messages do not appear correct in Outlook or Thunderbird, they come with strange attachments (.bin which contains the pgp encrypted text). As well you cannot decrypt pgp encrypted messages sent via Outlook Privacy Plugin or Thunderbird Enigmail on the device. I'm quite sure that this functionality will appear in upcoming versions, this beta seems to be the beginning.
    chgaida likes this.
    04-24-15 12:24 PM
    @geodorn Can you please invite me for some testing? That would be kind! pin:2BDF64CB

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:34 PM
    @geodorn Can you please invite me for some testing? That would be kind! pin:2BDF64CB
    Invitation sent

posted via CB10 on a Classic
    04-24-15 06:32 PM
    also running 10.3.2.500 and have pgp working on my classic with the office365 accounts

im a mac user, so my mac i have gpg installed and using with apple mail.

key are exported and then imported in the bb.

when im sending a mail from my bb encrypted i can decrypt it on the mac and on the bb
    when im sending a mail from my mac using apple mail i can't open it on the bb

thats what i have now
    05-13-15 12:03 PM
    Same here. Between BlackBerrys encrypt/decrypt works fine. But I can't decrypt messages send from PC, too.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 03:14 PM
    Yep.

I think this is all related to the mime malformed thing that bb10 has right now... and always has had, which sorta sucks.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 08:57 PM
    Yep.

I think this is all related to the mime malformed thing that bb10 has right now... and always has had, which sorta sucks.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Tickerguy, have you reported your findings to BlackBerry? Opend a ticket?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 11:53 PM
    I'm not in the beta program; they can add me any time they'd like and then I can file tickets against this sort of thing..... but I can't post them here as I'd be violating an NDA.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 09:42 AM
    You do not have to be on the beta. Just open a ticket. Do you have bes? Just go to myblackberry.com and open a ticket there.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 11:21 PM
    My BES trial expired. Since neither PGP or S/MIME was properly interoperable with the wider world (specifically, client devices not on Exchange infrastructure such as Thunderbird clients, etc) I allowed the trial to lapse and declined to continue as a paid customer, as my purpose in doing so was primarily to have access to S/MIME (and PGP) email.

PGP, incidentally, is BADLY broken. I have a MIME-partitioned email in my box that is NOT a PGP encrypted email but the phone identifies it as one (it has an attachment but it is neither an encrypted portion or a signature.) If I try to open that on the phone it crashes the email client -- badly enough that it loses sync with the Exchange server! It does re-sync and reload after a couple of minutes, but....

PGP is a mess on these devices and that's being kind. S/MIME is also hosed (the phone emits invalid MIME components); the latter HAS been reported along with detailed traces via a pathway that I have available to me, but it was quite shocking as that particular problem appears to have existed now since BB10 was introduced and yet, two-ish years later, it remains hosed. BlackBerry appears to think all the world is an Outlook client on Exchange and that actual RFC standards are something to be honored in the breach rather than the observance.

Disappointing, to put it mildly.
    chgaida likes this.
    05-16-15 06:58 AM
    I have a bes12 bb10with smime and when I mail a groupwise client with smime it works fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 04:01 PM
    I have a bes12 bb10with smime and when I mail a groupwise client with smime it works fine.

Posted via CB10
    Email me -- PM for my email address. :-) It'll be interesting to see what I get from you.
    05-16-15 06:46 PM
    I know what you mean. We went the 'gateway' way :-)

Now we have a zertificon encryption gateway and took away all the encryption / decryption stuff from the endpoints.

S/mime works 'somehow' with exchange but not with traveler (we use), and IBM has no answer when traveler will support s/mime.

So with the gateway everything is working fine now, as we have our own datacenter, we have no security concerns here.

Of course 'real end to end' would be better, but with BlackBerry's as end devices the security level with bes should be okay.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:05 AM
156 1234 ...