Hey guys, I'm finally making the jump to the latest 10.2 leak but in preparation of backing everything up, I stumbled upon one quick question: What happens to the passwords kept in Password Keeper after you install a newer OS?

I've searched the forums to no avail. This is the only thing holding me back from installing it. I don't think you can use Link as the backup would be incompatible from an older OS, unless they're backwards compatible. Thanks for the help.

Posted via Z10, with 10.2 envy
    11-23-13 07:58 AM
    You can use link to backup and restore to an older OS, but you need to change the manifest of the backup file using Darcy's tools to make it compatible.
    The password keeper entries are store in the settings portion of the backup file.

Magically appeared using the Mind Control app on my BerryLeaks Z10 STL100-4/10.2.1.1184 while being the Greatest
    LtHavoc21 likes this.
    11-23-13 08:02 AM
    The password keeper entries are store in the settings portion of the backup file.
    Can you expand on what this means as far as restoring? From my minimal understanding, the settings are the part of the backup we don't want to restore to a newly upgraded OS (from a leak).

If that is correct, what is the recommended approach to retaining password keeper data through a leak installation?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:10 AM
    You can use link to backup and restore to an older OS, but you need to change the manifest of the backup file using Darcy's tools to make it compatible.

Magically appeared using the Mind Control app on my BerryLeaks Z10 STL100-4/10.2.1.1184 while being the Greatest
    No I think he asked the opposite.
    I use password keeper and I got all my records by restoring the settings part of the Backup.
    The backup was from 10.2.0 and worked just fine.
    11-23-13 08:13 AM
    Can you expand on what this means as far as restoring? From my minimal understanding, the settings are the part of the backup we don't want to restore to a newly upgraded OS (from a leak).

If that is correct, what is the recommended approach to retaining password keeper data through a leak installation?

Posted via CB10
    You are correct. Setting is the issue of most problems.

Your best bet is to use something like Keepass where it allows you to export your saved passwords.

zyphen likes this.
    11-23-13 08:15 AM
    I have the exact same problem. I love leaks and I love to be able to have a full and clean installation. I also happen to be a dev and to solve this problem I've build this:

Check out Password Vault in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/35014887

It's free, BFB and we've developed it with a very strong and unique (AES based) one way encryption engine that actually uses your main password to get things rolling. That way I save all my password to the SD card and I'm able to restore it on the clean install :-D

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:25 AM
    Are you saying that password vault opens password keeper's file?

Or are you saying to use password vault as an alternative to password keeper?

The second alternative is like starting from scratch, although it would work for some people, who have very few passwords in password keeper.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:53 AM
    Are you saying that password vault opens password keeper's file?

Not using PW Keeper file. Starting from scratch. Still looks like a pretty good option from my seat.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    wgtcarlos likes this.
    11-23-13 09:02 AM
    Forget password keeper man,

Download ENPASS, much much much much much better password app

Saves your backup on dropbox!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:17 AM
    From the scratch... we can't access Password Keeper "file" for import...

I got all my passwords stored on Password Vault by copy/paste from Password Keeper and Vault (for PlayBook).

You can store it on DropBox, no problem, just save the output file on it ;-)

The main advantage of Password Vault, in my opinion, is the fact that it really generates a file, a real file (not some abstract data storage) and the encryption method assures that you can store or save it anywhere you want. Since it doesn't include your main password on the outputted file, it's safe to store it anywhere, even on a public place (not recommended, of course).

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 10:59 AM
    Good points from all of you but I ended up proceeding without the passwords. This OS is killllller thanks everyone

Posted from my weapon of choice, Z10. Powered by 10.2.1
    11-23-13 07:17 PM
    I had no issues restoring my password keeper passwords using the Blackberry link backup restore. All u have to do is restore the settings (password keeper database is stored in the settings part of the backup)and all ur passwords will be there.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:29 PM
    I had no issues restoring my password keeper passwords using the Blackberry link backup restore. All u have to do is restore the settings (password keeper database is stored in the settings part of the backup)and all ur passwords will be there.

Posted via CB10
    One issue. How old was the OS you were running? I was running a dated 10.1 build from T-Mobile. I probably will try it later though.

Posted by my weapon of choice, Z10. Powered by 10.2.1
    11-24-13 07:50 AM
    All u have to do is restore the settings (password keeper database is stored in the settings part of the backup)
    The problem is the settings part that is not the Password Keeper database. What some of us (me included) wants is to restore *only* the password database and that is not possible.

The other data stored on settings may have corrupted stuff. On a clean and new installation we want the settings to be 100% compatible with the current new OS version and when we restore the settings using BlackBerry Link (backup) we can't be sure that it will be.

Posted via CB10
    LtHavoc21 likes this.
    11-24-13 09:54 AM
    I have the exact same problem. I love leaks and I love to be able to have a full and clean installation. I also happen to be a dev and to solve this problem I've build this:

Check out Password Vault in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/35014887

It's free, BFB and we've developed it with a very strong and unique (AES based) one way encryption engine that actually uses your main password to get things rolling. That way I save all my password to the SD card and I'm able to restore it on the clean install :-D

Posted via CB10
    Hey. I saw your app a few days ago. It's excellent and clean. It is just missing 1 feature that I would like in a password keeper app. Thought maybe I would request it here. If you have some time would you mind adding a categories option. Ie. Social, email, banking, web, computer, etc. With option to create your own categories. Just easier to group similar items together and easier for filtering if you see categories on launch. Click on catwgory and see all items grouped inside.
    Thanks for the great app and hope you don't mind me requesting here.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 10:14 AM
    The problem is the settings part that is not the Password Keeper database. What some of us (me included) wants is to restore *only* the password database and that is not possible.

The other data stored on settings may have corrupted stuff. On a clean and new installation we want the settings to be 100% compatible with the current new OS version and when we restore the settings using BlackBerry Link (backup) we can't be sure that it will be.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't have said it better

11-24-13 10:45 AM
    Hey. I saw your app a few days ago. It's excellent and clean. It is just missing 1 feature that I would like in a password keeper app. Thought maybe I would request it here. If you have some time would you mind adding a categories option. Ie. Social, email, banking, web, computer, etc. With option to create your own categories. Just easier to group similar items together and easier for filtering if you see categories on launch. Click on catwgory and see all items grouped inside.
    Thanks for the great app and hope you don't mind me requesting here.

Posted via CB10
    You're welcome! Very cool suggestion, we'll take a look into that sure thing :-)

I'm on vacation right now, enjoying the sweetness of Bahia. Currently I'm using and testing another app of ours (Prophet's Camera) and we already have some new stuff to add so getting back to app development is the very first thing on our agenda :-D

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 03:22 PM
    11-24-13 03:22 PM
    11-24-13 03:23 PM
    Jinx
    11-24-13 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    What needs to be done is that you can pick and choose what is backed up/restored like what we were able to do with legacy devices. I miss that option

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.2.1.1055)
    11-24-13 03:48 PM
    Just my luck, after the OS has settled and everything is running smoothly ._.

11-26-13 12:54 AM
    01-13-14 02:24 PM