Can anyone tell me if OS "leaks" are secure to use? Obviously, they aren't officially, supported and certain versions are buggy, or otherwise cause problems with the device.

But will they keep data secure?

I don't have a very thorough understanding of the inter-workings between the software and hardware on BB10, but one individual explained to me that in order for the device to run the OS software, that the software must be " digitally signed" by blackberry which ultimately precludes a hacker from tinkering with the code and gaining access to the data.

We use these devices with highly sensitive data, and want to make absolutely sure we keep it secure. Dealing with a buggy leak is fine, dealing with data loss is a major problem.

Bottom line for us is that we want to update to 10.3.1 because it isn't looking like our carrier (ATT) is going to get their act together anytime soon. We are still using some legacy Torches because custom notification features are crucial to our business and these were absent on BB10 until 10.3.1.

The Torches are dying quickly.....I'm thrilled we have gotten so many good years out of them, but they are on their last leg and may go at anytime.

We have some existing Z10's that I would like to update to 10.3.1, but again, its crucial that these be secure.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Thanks so much in advance!
    03-25-15 11:43 PM
    If it installs on a BlackBerry, that software has been written, compiled, signed, packaged and distributed (privately or publicly) by BlackBerry.

The two differences between the myriad OS versions are features/fixes and install methods, that's it.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 11:54 PM
    If it installs on a BlackBerry, that software has been written, compiled, signed, packaged and distributed (privately or publicly) by BlackBerry.
    If it isn't an Android app and/or was sideloaded, of course. :P
    Personally, I'd use the latest leak of the current OS, as these are, if anything, MORE secure. Just don't go with 3.2 yet.
    03-26-15 01:23 AM
    Just an ignorant guy here.....why are there leaks? Shouldn't they just release the OS when it's due?
    My carrier releases an update...so I update. Never had an issue.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 01:35 AM
    Thanks guys. So would you recommend an auto-loader method then or something else? And which version of 10.3.1 do you think is best? These are Stl100-3 phones on the ATT network.
    03-26-15 01:39 AM
    Thanks guys. So would you recommend an auto-loader method then or something else? And which version of 10.3.1 do you think is best? These are Stl100-3 phones on the ATT network.
    The cleanest install is using an autoloader and not restoring from backup, although that carries the problem of losing text messages without some sort of backup (SMS backup apps are available in BlackBerry World). Other methods are less clean and have higher risk of problems, especially with a very large upgrade like from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1. However, smaller upgrades are easier to do non-destructively with Sachesi (there are guides for all of these in the BB10 Leaked/Beta OS subforum).

As for what to load, the latest 10.3.1 is your best bet (10.3.1.2582).

Just an ignorant guy here.....why are there leaks? Shouldn't they just release the OS when it's due?
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but quite a few carriers (all American ones included) release updates past due...

True leaks (something smuggled out of the dark) generally provide the first taste of new OS features, too.
    moyah8, anon(9208252) and esmesm like this.
    03-26-15 01:53 AM
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    If you wait for the carriers, you'll get one maybe two updates (and that's being generous) before you're ready to replace your phone.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2582
    03-26-15 05:03 PM
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    My guess is that the leaks are there so we, the CB crowd can test/report/complain about any issues then BlackBerry get free feedback and we all think we are the most up to date in the BB world.
    I personally don't install leaks until the latest os thread settles down and I know I can live with any issues as I don't have a spare phone to play with(yup! The gf now has my Z30!) but that said, most leaks I installed seem to work ok...
    Of course, CB will not be blamed if you brick your BB with a leak..... nuff said by me lol

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1565.
    03-26-15 05:23 PM
    And which version of 10.3.1 do you think is best? These are Stl100-3 phones on the ATT network.
    As10.2.1 is the latest software for AT&T Z10, they likely will not help you with issues you might encounter with 10.3.1. If you do not rely on their tech support, go 10.3.1.
    Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2582 on AT&T
    03-26-15 06:08 PM
    Lol, carrier will not help you anyways

STL-4. 10.3.1.2582
    03-26-15 09:34 PM
    Lol, carrier will not help you anyways
    AT&T tech support is excellent (my experience). If they are unable to resolve my issue, they transfer me to BlackBerry tech support. AT&T pays when they initiate the contact.
    03-26-15 09:58 PM
    Thanks for all the replies! So is the consensus that they are safe, even with highly sensitive data such as Social Security numbers, etc? We have one Z10 that we set up with 10.3.1.1784. It seems to be running fine, but we haven't given the device access to anything confidential yet.

I did stumble across a post somewhere on CB that someone's leaked OS was contacting two unknown servers. Not sure how one would even know that? Is there a way to monitor what the device does, who it talks to, what it sends, etc??
    Last edited by JSmith422; 03-27-15 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo
    03-27-15 08:41 PM