12-29-14 12:18 PM
36 12
tools
    You think so because you probably don't use the camera much. From 10 consecutive pictures of text documents on 10.2 I get 10 good shots. On 10.3.x at least 2-3 pictures are blurry. This is the result of slower and inaccurate autofocus on all 10.3.x leaks.
    I have taken about 4,000 pictures and a couple hundred videos...I have created and named 74 separate picture folders also. So I DO use my camera much.
    I also have a Canon camera and Panasonic videorecorder, edit photos and use Avid Professional video editing software.
    Enough about me...let me try to help you guys now...one thing that helps is good lighting if possible, another great trick is to touch a "dark spot" in the frame to increase the lightening of the shot. I mostly also have my camera setting on "cloudy" whether it is cloudy or not.
    Try a few of these things out and see if it helps you...
    Before you assume someone doesn't use an app much or doesn't know something...ask.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10 on10.3.1.1154
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-17-14 04:42 AM
    Turn off auto suggest camera settings. I am experimenting now but it seems to have done the trick. It is possible that autofocus is competing for cpu time and losing to auto suggest. Tests are not conclusive yet, but results so far after 10 or so tests are very good. I hope it's not placebo! Please post findings to confirm.

Posted via CB10
    Smart! You are absolutely correct.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10 on10.3.1.1154
    12-17-14 04:47 AM
    It does this to my BlackBerry Passport on official OS...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    With three devices on 10.3.1.1154 , to date I've only seen this on the Z10. But anything is possible. Never had this on the official OS.

cbcoza | Z3/Z10/Z30 - OS:10.3.1.1154
    12-17-14 07:59 AM
    I have taken about 4,000 pictures and a couple hundred videos...
    Glad you're happy with the results. I'm using OCR software and had issues with many pictures taken with 10.3.x camera. I do exactly the same thing with all the pictures and my experience is that camera on 10.2.x is more reliable. Sorry, I don't want to tweak settings or adjust something to make it work properly.
    12-17-14 10:37 AM
    I'm working with a borrowed Z30 today and loaded 10.3.1.1154 on it and as soon as I fired up the camera app I took note of the focus issues (at least on this particular device). Everything else is working "perfectly" as expected but, in regular photo mode (no changes to any of the default settings, I mean), when I hold the Z30 to snap a pic, the image will focus just fine but as I'm about to actually take the pic, it just shifts out of focus even though the focus brackets are still green. It goes into and then immediately out of focus and the only way to get it back is to tap someplace on the screen - sometimes it will refocus and stay sharp, other times it'll refocus, get sharp, then immediately lose focus once again.

It's somewhat frustrating but since there doesn't seem to be any particularly massive group of people complaining about this I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be or actually is.

I may just reflash here in a bit and start clean a second time 'cause in all my decades of working with electronics devices the strangest thing happens: stuff works better the second time around, oddly enough.

I'll see what happens but I'm not expecting any miracles. Just for the record, a few days ago I owned a Dev Alpha B (STL100-1) and it didn't have the issue with the camera that this STA100-5 has (was originally the T-Mobile model).

Also, the Auto-suggestion idea didn't make any difference so far: on, off, doesn't matter, it still has the issue of focusing then losing it almost immediately.
    Suraj Jadhav and polgara59 like this.
    12-17-14 02:03 PM
    ...when I hold the Z30 to snap a pic, the image will focus just fine but as I'm about to actually take the pic, it just shifts out of focus even though the focus brackets are still green...
    Exactly the same thing happens on Z10 on all 10.3.x leaks.
    12-18-14 12:04 AM
    I'm working with a borrowed Z30 today and loaded 10.3.1.1154 on it and as soon as I fired up the camera app I took note of the focus issues (at least on this particular device). Everything else is working "perfectly" as expected but, in regular photo mode (no changes to any of the default settings, I mean), when I hold the Z30 to snap a pic, the image will focus just fine but as I'm about to actually take the pic, it just shifts out of focus even though the focus brackets are still green. It goes into and then immediately out of focus and the only way to get it back is to tap someplace on the screen - sometimes it will refocus and stay sharp, other times it'll refocus, get sharp, then immediately lose focus once again.

It's somewhat frustrating but since there doesn't seem to be any particularly massive group of people complaining about this I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be or actually is.

I may just reflash here in a bit and start clean a second time 'cause in all my decades of working with electronics devices the strangest thing happens: stuff works better the second time around, oddly enough.

I'll see what happens but I'm not expecting any miracles. Just for the record, a few days ago I owned a Dev Alpha B (STL100-1) and it didn't have the issue with the camera that this STA100-5 has (was originally the T-Mobile model).

Also, the Auto-suggestion idea didn't make any difference so far: on, off, doesn't matter, it still has the issue of focusing then losing it almost immediately.
    I am just hoping that this doesn't turn out as STL100-1 sudden shutdown due to battery % issue: which never got fixed. I have bought passport thinking it is actually flawless...which it is...except for this camera focus issue.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-18-14 01:10 PM
    Enough about me...let me try to help you guys now...one thing that helps is good lighting if possible, another great trick is to touch a "dark spot" in the frame to increase the lightening of the shot. I mostly also have my camera setting on "cloudy" whether it is cloudy or not.
    My Passport camera was so messed that I couldn't even move the focus square much of the time, let alone get it to focus on a dark spot. I tried to move it to focus on the subject of my photos, and the phone would get a bad case of the electronic jitters. I tried several of the suggestions here on Crackberry before giving up and taking it back to Telus. According to tracking, it's 'being repaired' at Blackberry and is estimated to be ready for pickup on Dec 24. I sure hope it comes back usable! I depend on my phone camera to take photos at work because it's much more convenient than carrying around a camera.

In the meantime, I'll try a couple of the other suggestions on my old Z10 that I'm using while the Passport is out.
    12-22-14 09:59 AM
    I have just "upgraded" from Z10 to Z30 last week, and shortly after noticed very sub-par performance with the Z30 camera, when compared to the Z10. When I first noticed the poor focusing, I thought "crap, I've got a unit with a bad camera." Now that I'm going through the forums, however, I see several folks with the same issue, so hopefully it is a software issue.

The most obvious difference can be seen when aiming both the Z10 and Z30 at a distant object, then zooming in to max. When not zoomed, the pictures look relatively similar, but when zoomed, the Z30 is not focused whatsoever, and no amount of changing the focal point square will resolve the issue. The Z10 will focus very respectably, and though not as sharp as when not zoomed, it still takes a clear picture on max zoom.

This behavior is the same, regardless of lighting, BTW, although as noted elsewhere, focusing in low light can take quite a bit longer (for both phones). Both phones are on latest leak, 10.3.1.1154 . Z10 always took great pics prior to 10.3.x, and new camera app does seem to be a bit slower, but at least finds a decent focus after a few seconds. The Z30 is useless as-is for taking photos with any amount of zoom, but clear and fast-focus without zoom.
    12-22-14 12:48 PM
    This is definitely a software issue because as the camera attempts to autofocus i can see a point where the picture looks perfect, but it stops when its a blur. A true WTF?!? moment for me every time. It's really too bad, because I've taken some great pictures with my Z10, in all kinds of lighting, so I know the lens has decent potential, BUT for the most part the autofocus is terrible (especially in low light). I wish blackberry would devote some resources to fixing this.
    polgara59 likes this.
    12-22-14 03:41 PM
    I'm still waiting to get my Passport back from Telus/Blackberry, so we'll see if there's any improvement when that happens.
    12-29-14 12:18 PM
36 12