Hi,

I've DL the latest 10.2 leak for the Z10, and I'm very happy with it - easily the smoothest leak thus far for me.

However, I still have the issue of not being able to 'Check-In' on the native FB app. I realise this is a known issue, and the advice given to get around this is not to restore from the back-up, but to start 'fresh'. Does this literally mean nothing - ie: re-entering every contact/reminder/calendar note/bookmark etc. manually? I'm intrigued as I imagine most people fall into the same boat as me, and, if this is what is meant, then i won't bother as it's really not enough of a biggie for me to spend hours writing everything down, and then re-entering it all one item at a time - by the time I'd have done that, 10.4 leaks would be released...

Cheers.
    08-30-13 04:55 AM
    No, it meant to delete FB and download a fresh copy from AppWorld
    08-30-13 06:18 AM
    Starting fresh just means you don't do a restore. As for me, I use Intouchapp contacts for my contacts, Gmail and outlook for my calendar, Evernote for my notes and bookmarks and Keepass with Dropbox for my passwords. You can still restore from cloud services, just not from a restore in BlackBerry Link. That's all it means

And yes I did all these, and my FB check in works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:27 AM
    Starting fresh just means you don't do a restore. As for me, I use Intouchapp contacts for my contacts, Gmail and outlook for my calendar, Evernote for my notes and bookmarks and Keepass with Dropbox for my passwords. You can still restore from cloud services, just not from a restore in BlackBerry Link. That's all it means

And yes I did all these, and my FB check in works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    I see, thanks. Far too much hassle for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:31 AM
    It means: Do not restore from a previous os version backup. IE: 1371 backup to 1443 new os. Some older data may corrupt new programming. That's all.

Trusted Member
    08-30-13 11:08 AM
    I find that not ever restoring is the way to go with all these 10.2 builds - Ive tried it with and without MANY times. My Q10 flies without a restore where it is a bit more sluggish with.

I have all my notes in Evernote, and all the contacts spread between ATT address book and Google contacts/calendar. I've read about 3rd party apps that back up contacts as well. Bottom line until BB makes us a true selective restore the best performance (as well as a more issue free experience) on 10.2 comes from NO restore.
    08-30-13 11:23 AM
    It means: Do not restore from a previous os version backup. IE: 1371 backup to 1443 new os. Some older data may corrupt new programming. That's all.

Trusted Member
    That's essentially the same then. If u back up from your current OS, install the leak, then the only choice u have is to restore from an 'old' OS or not at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 11:24 AM
    I find that not ever restoring is the way to go with all these 10.2 builds - Ive tried it with and without MANY times. My Q10 flies without a restore where it is a bit more sluggish with.

I have all my notes in Evernote, and all the contacts spread between ATT address book and Google contacts/calendar. I've read about 3rd party apps that back up contacts as well. Bottom line until BB makes us a true selective restore the best performance (as well as a more issue free experience) on 10.2 comes from NO restore.
    Cheers for the reply. However, for the sake of FB check ins, seems to much like hard work.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 11:46 AM
    Cheers for the reply. However, for the sake of FB check ins, seems to much like hard work.
    In addition to fb notifications working properly, your device will run faster and more smoothly. The hard work involved (at least for me) is adding 5 accounts and moving icons around. Not too bad really.
    08-30-13 12:05 PM

Posted via CB10

Agreed. As I've posted in several places, I had developed a fairly firm reliance on Desktop Manager backups in the BBOS days. I had also integrated regular syncs (with Outlook) and backups into my routine.

As someone who bought a Z immediately upon availability, I quickly learned that Link was not going to suffice for my needs/usage patterns. In a sense I was lucky to realize and accept that fact right out of the gate. I (grudgingly) moved my PIM solution to the cloud (Office 365, as I was getting tired of Google Apps and the potential privacy concerns which turned out to be well-substantiated). I also identified the other critical information I would need to backup and restore between OS installs (text messages and passwords) because they were not part of the cloud solution. I always keep data on my Media Card, and I'm not a big fan of any games, so "starting fresh" is not a problem for me.

I babbled on about all of these things only to set out my own solutions and to maybe help anyone who is considering making the move to fresh installs without reliance on The Weakest Link. It is possible, and it shouldn't take too much work so long as you plan accordingly.
    Stwutter and Norg like this.
    08-30-13 02:28 PM

Agreed. As I've posted in several places, I had developed a fairly firm reliance on Desktop Manager backups in the BBOS days. I had also integrated regular syncs (with Outlook) and backups into my routine.

As someone who bought a Z immediately upon availability, I quickly learned that Link was not going to suffice for my needs/usage patterns. In a sense I was lucky to realize and accept that fact right out of the gate. I (grudgingly) moved my PIM solution to the cloud (Office 365, as I was getting tired of Google Apps and the potential privacy concerns which turned out to be well-substantiated). I also identified the other critical information I would need to backup and restore between OS installs (text messages and passwords) because they were not part of the cloud solution. I always keep data on my Media Card, and I'm not a big fan of any games, so "starting fresh" is not a problem for me.

I babbled on about all of these things only to set out my own solutions and to maybe help anyone who is considering making the move to fresh installs without reliance on The Weakest Link. It is possible, and it shouldn't take too much work so long as you plan accordingly.
    Thanks.

Well, as I said before, it's is literally only the FB check in that's an issue. I simply have the mobile version as an 'App.' on my screen also, and if I desperately need to check in somewhere, I can...

Link isn't the greatest, I agree. Having said that, I mean it in a user friendly manner. Before this slight issue, I've actually never had a back up or restore problems at all, in the truest sense of never losing any data. I might eventually go down the route of backing up via other resources, but may wait for the official 10.2 release for that.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 12:14 AM

Thanks for the info Wu.
    I have searched but I have not yet found an alternate way to backup the password keeper.
    Is there any other the link backup?

As for the FB app, maybe it's better not to have it all
    09-01-13 03:46 AM
    Link just nahhhhh, don't bother, I gave up restoring. Wish for a third party backup that could replace link.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 05:07 AM
    Thanks for the info Wu.
    I have searched but I have not yet found an alternate way to backup the password keeper.

You can't. I dumped Password Keeper after 6-7 years of using it through all OS's and having a good 200+ entries. I purchased Keeper Backup, which backs up to the cloud and is fully accessible through any browser on any device / desktop as well. It's far more robust than P/K ever was and I don't have to use the POS BB Link software anymore, which is a major source of a lot of issues on these devices. It has 256 bit encryption so I believe it's quite secure, from what I read. I just know it's a better product than P/K and I can import/ export/ backup/ sync etc...

It blows P/K away and it's easily worth the $10.00/ year they charge for it.
    09-02-13 06:58 AM

Wu-wei sounds simple enough, can you summarize you're b/u routine in a step-by-step fashion please !?? Want to make sure that I'm catching everything !! Again Thanks !!

Posted via CB10 using my handy dandy STL100-3 ~ 10.2.0.1443 ~ AT&T
    09-02-13 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the info Wu.

As noted below, there isn't an alternative way to backup Password Keeper. Instead, I use an alternative app.

In legacy days, I used Ascendo DataVault. Spent $30 on it. It was a good solution, but it took them too long to port to BB10, and the price was high again.

I ended up going with KeePassB, which I like because it has Dropbox integration. I was waiting for BlackBerry Wallet to arrive on BB10, but I needed a good dependable solution and couldn't wait around.

BerryLeaks co-founder | myver
    09-02-13 02:35 PM
    Wu-wei sounds simple enough, can you summarize you're b/u routine in a step-by-step fashion please !?? Want to make sure that I'm catching everything !! Again Thanks !!

Posted via CB10 using my handy dandy STL100-3 ~ 10.2.0.1443 ~ AT&T
    Since I load new OSes quite often, I've been meaning to make a video presentation of my entire backup, install, and restore process. The idea usually occurs to me as I'm finishing up though, and by then it's obviously too late. LOL

BerryLeaks co-founder | myver
    09-02-13 02:38 PM
    any app or method i can backup/restore apps with setting? i mean except link
    09-03-13 01:40 AM
    Generally, when u restore. Just restore media n setting. Or just media if u know for sure there is a bug in the version u r using before backup.
    And don't forget to wipe before u install a new os.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk HD
    09-03-13 03:24 AM