09-29-14 08:12 PM
96 1234
tools
    Speaking of assistant, I really want being able to talk to it without having to hold the button or tapping the app.
    That would be practical, although I can imagine that BlackBerry would be careful with this for privacy reasons. It may also affect the battery life if the hardware doesn’t support this properly (some Android phones have a chipset that reduces the amount of energy required for just this feature).

Overall, I think 10.3 is solid. I haven’t experienced any annoying bugs other than some minor performance hiccups and graphic glitches. Overall, the system feels more responsive with quicker animations and a much better Android runtime. I like the new home screen with the rearrangeable Active Frames and the reverse order of opening.

I don’t really like the new UI, however. Both the bright and dark themes are almost completely white or black, with light grey or dark grey elements, dark grey or light grey text and lines, and a little bit of colour at some places (but not much). Most colour comes from the much mentioned Signature Action (the blue bubble). I don’t think that this new design should prevent people from updating though. You can get used to it and most applications allow theme switching (including the Hub in 10.3.1).

The Signature Action is my main complaint. For me there have only been few instances where I thought this button made sense. Notably in the Camera app. But in almost every other instance, I found it distracting. This big blue button draws your attention all the time as your eyes will wander to it whenever a pane is opened. It is really bothering me at times. I get the basic idea of it, namely to highlight the most important action. But I think it is not well thought out. For instance, when reading an e-mail it will always highlight Reply All, regardless whether that is your most important action. You can’t choose to highlight Reply if that is your preferred action, worse still, you can’t even do that when there is only one recipient. I think that this Signature Action should only be used when (1) it’s very likely that the user will use an action and (2) the user will use that specific action. It shouldn’t be used to highlight just the most important action, it should highlight the action the user would want to use. Why not make it dynamic, so that it adapts to usage patterns?

Another small thing is the Instant Actions in the Hub. Whenever you return to the main view of the Hub, your last viewed item will show one or two Instant Actions for a few seconds. For instance, you can archive or delete mails in an instant. I understand that it’s there to improve workflow, but I find it very distracting as well. When you don’t have a workflow of archiving or deleting things, it will still show up. For example: if you chat with multiple people over, say, Whatsapp, you might switch between conversations all the time. These Instant Actions to delete the Whatsapp conversation will appear all the time whenever you return to the main view. I never delete Whatsapp conversations, so why do it have to be nudged all the time?
    08-31-14 08:00 PM
    Well, I don't like how the compose button sticks around when you scroll in the hub. I don't like the big round button in the center of the hub action bar at all, prefer when the action bar is straight across. I think the new icons aren't as good looking as the old ones.

I also miss how the most recently used app moved to the front of the home screen queue.

I love that you get an extra row of icons on the screen, the android player seems a lot better, folders can have multiple pages of icons, and there are some new settings like data management that are cool.
    I disagree with the first part, I love the new icons and the new action bar.

I DO agree with the app queue on the home screen though. Since I'm so used to the most recent app going to the top I always end up closing the wrong apps.

Agree with the last part too, android apps run much more smoothly and it's just a better overall experience.

I don't like how every day on the calendar app is bolded though. Calendar app from 10.2.1 was better imo

I would recommend 10.3 considering everything about it. I like it and would recommend it

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 08:20 PM
    Can one put 10.3 on their phone from their phone?

Posted via CB10
    No.

Adam
    08-31-14 09:36 PM
    Remote IMAP Search is great.

Also the thing I have not seen anyone mention is how much faster the hub is now. For me I love that when I read an email and then go back to the hub there are two options that automatically appear (file & delete) beside the email I just read. It makes me faster and it just feels easier.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    I use activesync (outlook.com) and I have similar success with remote search. Works awesome.

Adam
    08-31-14 09:41 PM
    So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing, but I'll wait until it actually gets pushed to us to form a solid opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 10:31 PM
    I think the fonts under the icons need to be larger. They need a magnifying glass to read. (and it changing the overall font size fixes that, well, then it breaks the Calendar display if the fonts are larger!!!!)

I agree with Scrid, that larger center GLOBULE is completely UNnecessary in the Hub and elsewhere. The flat icons are boring and if that's more modern than the cavemen had a lock on art. 3d, shadows and perspective were not a step back in painting and drawing.
    southlander likes this.
    08-31-14 10:35 PM
    Some nice additions and some little bugs like everything. I don't like the round middle action bar button and it seems they made the other buttons smaller or it seems that way. Swiping from the space bar for suggested words doesn't work for me but everywhere else it works fine. My phone seems faster but some android apps like tapatalk are kind of laggy and the kb is defiantly laggy in tapatalk.

Over all it's the best OS I've used on my phone. Battery life is pretty good too. Almost back to an older OS it was great on.
    I've found that if you press the space bar(not literally since it's not a button) and then swipe. It does work. But they should fix that asap though!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 11:19 PM
    I've found that if you press the space bar(not literally since it's not a button) and then swipe. It does work. But they should fix that asap though!
    Posted via CB10
    Since it is a leak, don't expect that to be fixed until maybe another leak?
    But Mine is working fine! at first, it was very laggy, a security wipe fix and my kb has no lag whatsoever!!!

10.3 is awesome! Even though I did expect more, but this is still a leak so anything can change!!! I am loving the android runtime update, I only used score (from BB world) and it was very laggy!!! I even tried skype just because I remember it was laggy and it is very responsive, I am thinking maybe I should download those apps from Amazon instead since they will probably be a recent update instead the one on BB world.

I love the lift to wake up feature, I don't think it is important but definitely a cool feature, I don't use the other interactions even though I do have flip to save power on! Like many have mentions I am not a fan of the new UI but the phone is so much faster, not sure if they correlate but I can live with it! so far having an extra row is beneficial but I still have 16 apps per page because I still don't know how to rearrange lol!

Overall the phone is wayyy better now, I was happy with 10.2.1 but with the android runtime being smooth, I feel I'm with BB for a long time! Also I would prefer Native apps because I prefer it but I guess you take what you can get!!! my only complaint is that Z10 has a horrible battery! 10.3 made it better and I am still not satisfied... I may switch to a passport depending on how it fits.
    09-01-14 12:42 PM
    IMO 10.3. looks like work in process and process will last long till we get something that looks finished.
    09-01-14 06:04 PM
    Sometimes I kick myself for reading through the leaks forum, because the leaked OS looks so damn fine...and then it makes me want the newest update(s) soo bad, but I'm just chicken-hearted when it comes to leaks. Pretty sad, considering I'm computer tech, you'd think I'd enjoy experimenting with my device. lol But I do love experimenting with computer OS and software, so not a complete chicken.
    Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat you are. :-)

I very much want to play with the leak, but I can't afford to be without my phone for work so I stick with official releases. I used to participate in BlackBerry 10 BETA through my old work, but that was different as I could get attentive support from BlackBerry for the BETA and it was part of my job at the time.

I do use some BETA software on my computers, but that's because I can remove them if they flake out. Rolling back an entire OS is a major pain. ;-)

I'm really glad the OP made this thread because this is probably the most cohesive list of fair (some pro and some con) assessments of 10.3 so far IMHO. It has detoured me from finally taking the leak plunge

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    SharonRD likes this.
    09-01-14 07:34 PM
    Love it. Ditched android and haven't missed a single thing. Of course that nay be die to snap and amazon market.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 08:49 PM
    I can't live with speed triage in the hub - it saves me so much time and I'd miss it like crazy if I went back to 10.2.1. Also, 10.3 finally introduced "meeting mode" that automatically silences your phone during meetings, something I've been missing since I left Windows Mobile 6 about six years ago.

I generally like the improvements in 10.3 but I don't feel like they're revolutionary (the virtual assistant seems nice but it's not something I use). That said, they put some excellent polish on the OS and add the smoothness to operations that make it feel, again, like it's top-tier.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and bakron1 like this.
    09-02-14 03:39 PM
    The thing I hate about 10.3 is the White frame around my apps :/

Non fanboys: how do you really like BlackBerry 10.3?-img_20140902_224626.png

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:47 PM
    I like some elements in 10.3 like virtual assistant but I miss a lot of the professional feeling of 10.2.1. I dislike how to delete multiple messages in 10.3, the keyboard bugs bother me, and I'm not a big fan of that effing big blue button.

I like having the extra layer if apps, I like not having the squares around my apps, the android needs to be a wee bit more stable, also I think they screwed up the remember app :-/. I kinda don't like the flat looking icons it's way too iPhone -y... disapprove

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:33 PM
    It revitalises all hardware. Q10 is much snappier and Android apps install and launch quickly which really helps the overall experience.
    09-04-14 04:00 PM
    Keyboard is not as good as 10.2.1. Seems the space bar doesn't like to respond quickly all the time. Very annoying but fixed by turning off suggestions. Otherwise it's a lot faster and better. I don't mind the new UI like I thought I would. It's very useable. More so than 10.2.1 I think although it's not a huge difference. Android apps get the biggest boost, mostly in using less battery. Minimizing them and startup is also way faster/smoother. No more active frame stutter. I think it's worth it.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:22 PM
    Yeah, I have to jump back down to 10.2.1 for now...

p.s. I still miss the Squaricle
    09-05-14 11:41 AM
    I am very pleased the GMAIL and Google Apps has remote search using IMAP. Does anyone know if 10.3 is fixed so that it also works for Google Apps using active sync (ie only available with the paid version of Google Apps)? This was not working on 10.1 or 10.2.
    09-05-14 12:00 PM
    Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat you are. :-)

I very much want to play with the leak, but I can't afford to be without my phone for work so I stick with official releases. I used to participate in BlackBerry 10 BETA through my old work, but that was different as I could get attentive support from BlackBerry for the BETA and it was part of my job at the time.

I do use some BETA software on my computers, but that's because I can remove them if they flake out. Rolling back an entire OS is a major pain. ;-)

I'm really glad the OP made this thread because this is probably the most cohesive list of fair (some pro and some con) assessments of 10.3 so far IMHO. It has detoured me from finally taking the leak plunge

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    Yes, it's the same for me, need my phone to be stable on a daily basis. If I had a spare BB10 phone, I'd be here in a heartbeat, excitedly installing the newest OS leak and happily exploring. lol But alas, my pocketbook can only afford one high quality BB at a time, since I always buy my phones outright (don't like payments for any product, always pay upfront).

Yep, I experiment with software a lot on my computer, betas are fine for that, just not on my BB. Love playing on the computer, especially love Linux (Mint right now, great for those used to Windows OS), but use Win7 for daily usage and workstuff. Me too, I'm glad he started this thread, best way to learn about the newest leak, which I can't have. LOL
    HotFix likes this.
    09-06-14 04:35 PM
    Yes, it's the same for me, need my phone to be stable on a daily basis. If I had a spare BB10 phone, I'd be here in a heartbeat, excitedly installing the newest OS leak and happily exploring. lol But alas, my pocketbook can only afford one high quality BB at a time, since I always buy my phones outright (don't like payments for any product, always pay upfront).

Yep, I experiment with software a lot on my computer, betas are fine for that, just not on my BB. Love playing on the computer, especially love Linux (Mint right now, great for those used to Windows OS), but use Win7 for daily usage and workstuff. Me too, I'm glad he started this thread, best way to learn about the newest leak, which I can't have. LOL
    I've been using 10.3 as a daily driver since .296 leaked. On Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1154 and nary a problem.

Adam
    09-06-14 10:32 PM
    I've been using 10.3 as a daily driver since .296 leaked. On Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1154 and nary a problem.

Adam
    Sweet! That's good to hear. What can I say, I'm just a big chicken. Bawk, bawk! lol
    HotFix likes this.
    09-06-14 11:04 PM
    Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.1154 is the best version to date. I decided to run both of my Qs on this.

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-06-14 11:11 PM
    Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.1154 is the best version to date. I decided to run both of my Qs on this.

Sure, rub it in! LOL I need to stop reading threads on 10.3 installed on Q10, I can feel my willpower slowly becoming weaker every post...
    09-06-14 11:15 PM
    Sure, rub it in! LOL I need to stop reading threads on 10.3 installed on Q10, I can feel my willpower slowly becoming weaker every post...
    I love them, upgraded from 10.2.2! Which carrier are you with? There are workarounds for vvm issues, but some may lose wifi calling?

09-06-14 11:17 PM
    I love them, upgraded from 10.2.2! Which carrier are you with? There are workarounds for vvm issues, but some may lose wifi calling?

I'm with Canadian Virgin Mobile (love them, have a great affordable monthly plan), and I'm connected via wifi more often than not, since I work from home.
    09-06-14 11:26 PM
96 1234