Dear Forum,

My wife and I are newbies to Blackberry, having escaped a 6 year stint in 'Appleland'. I was obsessed with seeing what 10.3.1.1154 was going to look like, and have successfully completed the upgrade from a Blitz leak of the dot 1154. I thought to share my experience with others as a part repayment for all the help the community has so generously given as we learned about Blackberry's. Thank you to all of you! We're students, and are so broke that we rely on BBM to communicate between us, and use a 'pay per text/pay per minute' plan. BBM has been a godsend. Neither of us is technical-so basically if we can do it, perhaps you can too. That's the context.

Some basic advice.
    First of all, be paranoid. There is a reason that there are so many warnings about installing leaked operating systems. Believe those warnings. And as in every other warning out there, if you choose to follow my experience you do so at your own risk and you will have to accept sole responsibility for any negative outcomes. Fair warning.

Paranoia rational/methodology. I have a lot of data on my phone-everything from photos, to music to documents. I couldn't afford to lose any of it.

Steps:
    Before I did the upgrade, I purchased memory card and installed into the phone. I then copied every single bit of data I could possibly copy onto that memory.
    Next-I did a 'complete backup' of the phone. Pay attention to the backup options and make sure you do the 'Complete Backup'.
    Next-I powered the phone off, and removed both the Sim chip and the Memory card. Yes, yes, I know, O/S upgrades can't affect either. I told you I was paranoid.
    Next-download both of, Sachesi RC 2.0, and the correct Blitz file. Why a Blitz file (in case you don't know)? Because Blitz files are not supposed to destroy your data. That's why.
    Make sure you have the correct Blitz file for your phone. Let me repeat this-make sure, double sure, you have the correct Blitz file for your phone!
    The Blitz file is a zipped file, you don't have to unzip it and you shouldn't.
    Next-Set up Sachesi. Power up your phone (if its powered down). Connect your phone to your computer.

Warning. From this point on, do not allow your computer to turn off. Do not let your phone turn off except for the reboots at the end of the process. Make sure you're plugged in. This is going to take about an hour to 90 minutes in total.

Next-Look at the tabs at the top of Sachesi. You want to find and select the tab that says 'Install'. When you do that, wait a few seconds and you'll see a list of files. Those are the files currently installed on your phone, and that you are going to overwrite.
    Next-Drag the zipped Blitz file on top of those files you see. Now wait. It takes a few minutes for the system to unzip the Blitz. It took almost an hour for all the files to update. However, Sachesi is very good at keeping you informed as to progress. You'll see a circular graphic showing the file that is being upgraded, its progress, and how many files remain to be upgraded. Some files take a lot of time to copy over, but you'll always see the progress.
    Next-Sachesi will tell you its 100% done. Then the phone is going to restart after the install completes. The restart will be an 'installing files' kind of restart, and will take longer than normal. Again your phone will keep you well informed as to the progress with the blue racetrack graphic. Be patient-expect this to take between 5 and 10 minutes.
    At this point you can say you are 'done' Well-sort of. Reinstall your Sim and memory card if you removed them.

Some cautions and observations.
    Why did I say you're done 'sort of'? It seems to take multiple restarts to get the new files to finally totally settle. On my first restart, I pressed every icon. Some icons took a longer time normal to load.
    If you are using additional memory for things like photos and music, the system will scan that memory card, and it will take some time. Again, you will be well informed with a progress bar. Just be patient.

Problems.
    One big one. BBM stopped working. We could neither see the video or audio call buttons. Other functions were missing or scarce. It almost looked like the entire file didn't load.
    Solution: I restarted the phone several times and saw no improvement. Finally, in frustration, I removed the battery from the phone while it was still on. This is not recommended, and you should think carefully if you want to imitate my solution. Every credible Blackberry resource 'out there' says to not do this. You do so at your own risk, and the responsibility for any outcomes is yours and yours alone.
    Having said that, the 'remove battery from running phone' solved the BBM problem. We now have our desperately needed BBM working as it should.

Was it worth it? What's the differences?

This upgrade took the better part of several hours, if you include the efforts to get BBM working. This doesn't include the time reading everything possible about the process, locating files, installing tools etc. It's a lot of time.

The differences are not such a big deal in my opinion. The new design is of the 'flat design school'. If you're a design geek, you'll appreciate that. You get icons without the shadow. You get softer colors. You get icons that are intended to look less like the function and more like a symbol for the function. It's pretty. Is it prettier than the 10.2.x you're upgrading from? Lets just say its different, but not necessarily 'prettier'. I myself wouldn't go through all this just for the flat design.

Speed. Everything does seem snappier now. How snappy? Well, if you ever started something on your phone and were waiting to the point of just starting to get impatient, you will wait no longer. Press something after the phone is totally settled in, and that function happens so fast, you'll say 'wow-that was fast!'. Browser is like 'greased lightening'.

Calendar. This is my biggest complaint now that the BBM issue is resolved. Take a good look at your existing calendar. See the lovely refined font they used? Notice the subtle and sophisticated use of color, for the fonts and everything else? See the lovely scale and proportion they used for everything? See how the days with tasks had little bars that were longer the longer the task was? See how you can rotate the phone and at a glance see and read all of your tasks for a day?

All that is gone. In its place are bolded ugly fonts. Rotate the calendar and the same fonts are used for the tasks and appointments. You will perhaps read 4 or 5 letters of any of those. If you want to know what that item is, you'll have to select it. If you want to see your entire day, you won't. You'll have to go through each item separately-back and forth from the item to the calendar to the next item. That sucks. The new calendar skin sucks. I comfort myself believing that these issues are just 'placeholder' issues that will disappear after the actual upgrade happens. Power users need that calendar to be better. Just like the previous calendar. And this is perhaps the worst calendar I've ever seen. On anything. Anywhere. It's shocking. Just saying.

Keyboard. The upgraded keyboard rocks. It's fast. It's accurate. Totally, totally worth the effort for the keyboard.

Options and settings. There are a lot more of these. Too many to list here. You'll be able to customize your device in additional ways.

So that's all. Hope it helps. And again, if you decide to follow any of my methods, its your responsibility and yours alone for any damage. Your 'Complete Backup' may be your lifesaver. Don't mess that bit up!

Thank you to the community for all of your help!
    12-21-14 02:53 PM
    Glad you managed to update. There are tons of tutorials and step by steps tho already here on CB listing all those steps you detailed. Did you read any oft those before loading the leak? I hope so. a lot of your frustrations are detailed in the leak thread, as well as solutions.

enjoy the new OS!
    12-21-14 03:46 PM
    Thanks for the info! I used an autoloader when I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2.1. I was paranoid and took lots of precautions with that procedure.

I've been reading about the Blitz process. Considering it because I have lots of information that I don't want to loose. As well as lots of accounts. Thank you for sharing your experience. I just may give myself a new Z10 experience for the holidays!

Z10 (STL 100-3) with vitamin 10.2.1.3337
    12-21-14 03:48 PM
    Did you have to reload your apps? Contacts? Accounts? Etc.
    12-21-14 03:59 PM
    Great write up OP!
    12-21-14 04:05 PM
    Yes indeed...well said, thx

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    12-21-14 04:23 PM
    How's your battery life ?

Z10 (STL 100-3) with vitamin 10.2.1.3337
    12-21-14 05:07 PM
    Hi Jaydee!

Thank you for the reply. I think for me, my writing the 'how to' was just an opportunity to give back to the forum and try to pass along some of the amazing help people here at Crackberry have offered me. I did research here and on the search engines, but never found anything that told me what to expect when I pressed a button, or if the effort was worth it, or what the differences were, 'pre' and 'post'.

Too, I really didn't have any 'frustrations'. I had terror! LOL! When my BBM was failing that gave both of us that 'elevator free fall' feeling. I think it might be part of being a newbie. Everything is scary! So I just wanted my fellow newbies to know they 'could do it too'.

What was terribly disappointing was the calendar. Is there a way to let BB know how disappointing that is? Is there some sort of patch for the style sheet 'out there'?

cheers! And...merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
    12-21-14 05:12 PM
    love the Z-10 but am jealous of my wife's Q10. My fingers are just so large I can't use the keyboards. But the Z-10 is a gorgeous machine.

cheers! And Happy Holidays!
    12-21-14 05:13 PM
    on the z-10 with the 10.2.1.x-I was getting about 7 hours. I always had to carry an extra battery with me, and an in car charger. I am timing the battery now with the upgraded O/S and will update my post after a week or so of use.

cheers and Happy Holidays!
    12-21-14 05:15 PM
    ur welcome!
    12-21-14 05:15 PM
    thanks! Hope it helped!
    12-21-14 05:16 PM
    Nope-not all. Everything came over perfectly for me using the Blitz file. Historical calendar items, contacts, contacts pictures, all of my apps worked immediately, though as I say in the post, some took some time the first time I loaded them. On the other hand, I don't have more than 8 or 9, so its a very small sample space on the app question.

Hopefully everyone's experience will be as good or better than my own, absent the minor heart attack over BBM, but no guarantee's-if you do this, you do this at your own risk. Having said that, I am pretty happy with the result other than how awful the new calendar is.

cheers and happy Holidays!
    12-21-14 05:19 PM