Hi guys been on a BlackBerry Z10 for awhile now.

I'm new to CB though.

I installed the new 10.2.1 OS tonight. I have Amazon, 1Mobile, and Aptoide installed, but I heard/read that Snap actually has Google Services enabled?

If so, is there a way to download the apk for Snap?

Or is it a must that it be sideloaded?

I don't have a pc at the moment. My daughter+frootloops+ laptop= disaster.

I had to use my neighbour's to install the new OS this evening.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 01:54 AM
    Nope,android apps are apk's, snap is a blackberry app therefore it's a .bar file, so you'll need to sideload it.

Edit: we can now download apk's to our phone but not .bar files, prety dumb if you ask me. We use to be able to directly download and install .bar files back in the days with legacy devices, but not anymore. Guess blackberry wants to have control with BBWorld.
    Last edited by dna47; 01-24-14 at 02:34 AM.
    01-24-14 01:59 AM
    OK. Was not quite sure. Thanks for the answer!

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 02:02 AM
    By the way, Snap downloads apk's much faster than the rest...

Trusted Member Genius
    01-24-14 02:32 AM
    BTW, if you really need to download some android apps and can't get access to a computer to sideload Snap, just google the android app name
    + apk and then download it.
    01-24-14 02:37 AM
    Snap also registers your device with Google Play Store.

Newbie to CB Here. A Way to Download Snap via APK?-img_20140124_033016.png
    Newbie to CB Here. A Way to Download Snap via APK?-img_20140124_033039.png

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 03:36 AM
    And snap will list all apk installed in your phone and if there's an update for the apk, it will notify you. The best one to download apk i might say.
    01-24-14 03:37 AM
    By the way, Snap downloads apk's much faster than the rest...

Trusted Member Genius
    Not necessarily true, Aptiode's speeds are exactly the same for me, plus it downloads the obb files too.

And snap does not have a pause function + downloads often fail on me if the app doesn't close itself first...

Updates aren't always good as some do not work on bb10.

Certain apps need to be patched first and that's why we created bb10store on Aptiode so only supported apps with their working updates will be there. Installing from there your apps will definitely work.

You can add bb10store to aptoide by adding bb10store.store.aptoide.com under your stores in aptiode.

I do find snap useful to obtain smaller apks though.

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    01-24-14 03:52 AM
    Not necessarily true, Aptiode's speeds are exactly the same for me, plus it downloads the obb files too.

And snap does not have a pause function + downloads often fail on me if the app doesn't close itself first...

Certain apps need to be patched first and that's why we created bb10store on Aptiode so only supported apps with their working updates will be there. Installing from there your apps will definitely work.

You can add bb10store to aptoide by adding bb10store.store.aptoide.com under your stores in aptiode.

Posted via CB10
    i did download aptoide, but snap IS superior.
    the bb10 section on aptoide is very small, where's snap has access to all google play apps. and for your information, last time i checked, Chrome was listed as "fully working" on aptoide/bb10 store wich is false. i understand your trying to promote your thing, and if it ever catch up and have lots of apps that ARE working, then it might be better than snap, but right now it doesn't even come close!
    01-24-14 04:03 AM
    I can't able to get my virtual box working on my laptop. Is there any way to get GSF id.
    01-24-14 07:23 AM
    I can't able to get my virtual box working on my laptop. Is there any way to get GSF id.
    Just sideload the latest snap (v1.9.6.0), it will automatically generate a GSF id for your device. Login with your gmail account.
    arifbsantoso likes this.
    01-24-14 08:14 AM
    I am going.to.use my neighbour's pc today to get snap.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 11:05 AM
    Nope,android apps are apk's, snap is a blackberry app therefore it's a .bar file, so you'll need to sideload it.

Edit: we can now download apk's to our phone but not .bar files, prety dumb if you ask me. We use to be able to directly download and install .bar files back in the days with legacy devices, but not anymore. Guess blackberry wants to have control with BBWorld.
    Legacy didn't use bar. They used jar. Completely different OS technology/language. Completely different app technology / language

Sent via CB10 on my ? Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    HotFix likes this.
    01-24-14 11:55 AM
    the bb10 section on aptoide is very small, where's snap has access to all google play apps. and for your information, last time i checked, Chrome was listed as "fully working" on aptoide/bb10 store wich is false. i understand your trying to promote your thing, and if it ever catch up and have lots of apps that ARE working, then it might be better than snap, but right now it doesn't even come close!
    The selection is growing rapidly.
    If it's not there, please ask for it in the bb10store thread.
    Bb10store is the fastest, safest and most reliable way to get quality apps that require obb data on a BlackBerry 10 device. We do all of the heavy lifting for you.

Try getting deus ex, injustice, call of duty, or the final fantasy series from snap.

Snap does a great job for a lot of apps, it's a quality app, but it has its limitations. Bb10store fills that gap better than anything else out there.
    01-24-14 04:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Boy don't u ever love aptoide though! Always shoving it at people! Yeah u r the dev but hey make it more user friendly first!
    when I went to find it man, there were so many options to download I could only think bloatware!

Hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-25-14 03:22 AM
    Boy don't u ever love aptoide though! Always shoving it at people! Yeah u r the dev but hey make it more user friendly first!
    when I went to find it man, there were so many options to download I could only think bloatware!

Hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    Haha. I'm no dev. I created a repository within an already existing store by clicking some options on the site, don't think that makes me a dev :P

Either way yes, it's a little tricky to set up at first. But it's pretty easy to use when it's set up, removing all the other repositories makes it only push updates we uploaded, I have no idea where you went to download.. on the main site there's only one download point. Follow the guide in the bb10store thread and it should be easy enough.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to push and force it on people I'm just trying to help some people out and make them aware that this exists. Snap is great, it gives you access to all the apps on the play store, but the point of bb10store though is to only give you access to those apps that work and those we have modified to work + their data.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 05:27 AM
    I agree, snap has allot more apps, and I'm not claiming bb10store to be superior at all, our repository is growing really fast though especially since more people are helping out now. Unlike with snap we depend on your feedback to know if an app is working or not, responses about chrome was mixed, some people had it working and a small few didn't, I couldn't find a solution as to why it wasn't working, I'll update it to the latest version either way. Chrome is in fact running just fine on my device.

BB10Store can't really be compared to snap though as both have different goals. Snap makes all apps available. We only make those that we have tested and modified available. I understand it was lacking. But if you check back you'll see we have allot more going now

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 05:35 AM
    I agree, snap has allot more apps, and I'm not claiming bb10store to be superior at all, our repository is growing really fast though especially since more people are helping out now. Unlike with snap we depend on your feedback to know if an app is working or not, responses about chrome was mixed, some people had it working and a small few didn't, I couldn't find a solution as to why it wasn't working, I'll update it to the latest version either way. Chrome is in fact running just fine on my device.

BB10Store can't really be compared to snap though as both have different goals. Snap makes all apps available. We only make those that we have tested and modified available. I understand it was lacking. But if you check back you'll see we have allot more going now

Posted via CB10
    What device are you using? On my z10 chrome loads but then nothing happens and my phone freezes... tried with various APks even the one from the bbstore

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 04:08 PM
    Use dolphin browser. Works awesome on my z10

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 04:36 PM
    Dolphin browser is a better alternative. I have a Z10 STL100-1 (some apps, tiny thief for instance, seem to only run on the STL100-1 btw) Chrome definitely runs, but it's too slow to be used as an actual alternative unfortunately. I had a version that froze up, but the newer one ran fine.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Some would rather not have apps that have been modified.

Posted via CB10
    Fret Madden and homer1475 like this.
    01-26-14 04:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    They're only modified to work if necessary.
    For example, I haven't uploaded any apk's that have been modded, just ones with obb data.
    01-26-14 04:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    They have not been modified in any malicious way but rather modified to work without the play store or work without needing google services. It's the only way to get certain apps to work. So I don't quite understand why not.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:07 AM
    Dolphin browser is a better alternative. I have a Z10 STL100-1 (some apps, tiny thief for instance, seem to only run on the STL100-1 btw) Chrome definitely runs, but it's too slow to be used as an actual alternative unfortunately. I had a version that froze up, but the newer one ran fine.

Posted via CB10
    Dolphin might be an alternative, I have it on my phone, but I wasn't talking about dolphin but Chrome. I'm looking to get chrome only because it can give me access to my opened tabs on other devices. You say that chrome does run, but every version I've tried so far (snap, Aptoide or browser) never worked. So which version are you running that is supposedly working on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 02:54 AM