Been poking around the 1mobile store and there's a few things I'd like to point out, just for general discussion. Ill tell you what Ive found it can and cant do along the way. Also, did you know it shows system apps? Like sms, calender, browser, etc... more on that at the bottom... Come muse with me.

The fact that it read all android apps (side loaded, app world, other android) is nice, and the fact that it alerts you of updates is nifty too. Of course we've already discovered that it will not actually update any apps for you, but its nice to see what's available.

For the available updates, I pop into the device manager, delete those apps, then hit the update button (one app at a time... it froze up on me when I tried to do all 10). And everything installed nicely. I can't remember the last time I had a Kindle update from BB world, which might say something about the dedication of certain android developers to BB in general. Having the newest version of the Check app, Kindle App, etc was a nice change, since developers hadn't loaded their newest versions of the app into BB world, and I like new features, who doesn't? (it also had newer versions of apps I had previously downloaded from Amazon's market). Probably the best way to insure you have the newest available version is to use the APK grabber straight from google play. (or I assume snap, I haven't used it yet)

What I did notice is that even after I installed the newest version of these apps, and restarted the phone, 1mobile still listed the apps as having an update available. I tried to reset the app (in settings), but that function didn't seem to work. It warns you that it will remove all data (including back ups - more on that in a sec) and close app... but it never closes the app, and doing so manually and bringing it back up doesn't reset/refresh anything either. So I deleted 1mobile, reinstalled it back on and it showed everything as current.

1mobile has a few nifty features like an apk manager which lets you delete any apks you downloaded (if you choose to keep them from the settings menu).

It has a "move to SD function", like any android phone. I tried it for the hell of it and the app I moved stopped working, and it wouldn't move it back to phone either. I then had to uninstall said app with device monitor, but then the 1mobile market still read the app as installed... and it wouldn't refresh that data... so I had to uninstall 1mobile, reinstall it, and then reinstall the app... was quite the hassle... don't make that mistake.

Has a "back up" function. Which just really replaces the app if you delete it. I guess this works in place of having an actual account, as I don't see an area that displays apps you had previously installed. This actually works as expected. With the exception of backing up an android app you didn't specifically get from 1mobile, even if it lists it (aka, the blackberry 10 kindle app from BB world). It will tell you when you go to reinstall it that there was a issue with the app being signed and close out. So to utilize this function, you must have the 1mobile version of the app.

Installing a new app from 1mobile didn't make it show up in the my apps area of 1mobile, even with hard restart... had to uninstall and reinstall 1mobile for it to show up. It seems like it only takes a snapshot of the current apps when you first install it. So there's that.

It has an uninstaller which tells you it works, but doesn't, it makes a good show of it though. And if you go the actual app detail screen (where it shows version, descrip, etc) it will give you the open and uninstall option (only you if have uninstalled/reinstalled 1mobile since you installed said app, otherwise it will only show "install" as the option). Open works, uninstall causes 1mobile to crash. (going a little further here... If you uninstall the app using device monitor, and go back to the app in 1mobile, it will give you the option to install... so it is reading that you have the apk still laying around.... but again, won't add it to your 'my apps' area unless you uninstall/reinstall the 1mobile app. frustrating.)

I downloaded WinRar from 1mobile and its default view shows the standard Android file path: /mnt/sdcard with folders you expect to see in android... Its actually accessing the folder path Device/misc/android/ as there is not /mnt/sdcard path... So its creating/using a virtual SDcard... its been this way always probably, but its the first time Ive actually noticed it/given it thought. Cant get WinRar to access device files or the actual SDcard, not sure if its possible.

The App home page and all that jazz works as expected. Theres a search screen that shows tiny little colored boxes of suggested apps, you can shake the phone and it'll repopulate with more suggestions.

Now, to get into something that I'm hoping someone can explain... BB system apps show up in the MyApps area of the 1mobile app. These include Calender and SMS, both with the BB icons. These all show up in the "my apps" screen. You cannot pull up details for any of these, it'll say requested item not found. Opening the Calender will actually pop you out of the 1mobile app into a calender frame. SMS looked to almost load the sms view into my last conversation in the same frame as 1mobile, coming across the screen as if you used the flow function to flip into it, but it then disappeared just as fast.

There's a search app, if you open it is just a google search bar and a blank page. Using it to search loads a BB browser frame and searches using google. It seems as if you can rate system apps... dunno if that actually works, but I gave the SMS 5 stars anyway . It does allow you to use the share screen, even loading the BB sms screen if asked to text it to whoever.

Unfamiliar to the system is a Gallery and Movie Studio (video editing) app listed in there, android familiar icons, and they bring up android versions of that app with you're media content in it. (i.e. gallery brings up your pictures, and will even pop you into the BB camera frame if you ask it too.) Neither of these have details screens either.

That's it for the myapps area, but if you go to the uninstaller tool, it has two tabs at the top. Personal Apps and System Apps. Listed in the system apps is a browser, calculator, calender, contacts, dev tools, downloads, gallery, movie studio, search, settings, and sms. You can't do anything from this screen (clicking does nothing, and it outright tells you in giant red letters that you can uninstall system apps)... so it just tells you the version number and the size of the system app. Only the SMS and Calender have BB icons, everything else has Android icons. Curious as to the function... are these built in to the android runtime, that cross reference into the BB system so that android apps can function correctly? No clue, its my assumption, but I couldn't tell you, maybe someone with a better understanding of this Open Runtime (Cheers Mecca: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...t=open+runtime), could tell you. (note: When you open the Move2SD function, it shows the android setting icon in the top right corner... so my assumption grows stronger, maybe this is something everyone has known forever, and I'm just now discovering. I'm not so bold to think that I'm the first person mentioning any of this, definitely looking forward to discussion on them though.)

Lastly, at least once, I tried to open the Blackberry 10 kindle (before I deleted it and downloaded the newer version from 1mobile) and then quickly opened 1mobile. (I was comparing version numbers). When I did this, BOTH frames loaded 1mobile. I have not since been able to replicate this... but I thought it was worth mentioning. There's my findings. Thoughts, comments, etc welcome and encouraged below.

UPDATE FOR 11/28

1mobile had an update today (11/28), not for another app, for itself.

Went from Version 3.9.6 to 3.9.7

For Kicks, I pressed update, it brought up the install screen as any app will do, but instead it said Update.

When previously updating apps in 1mobile, as we know, it gives an error message and may crash.

BUT the 1mobile app ACTUALLY updated itself. The app closed out, and I thought it had crashed, as expected, but then a permissions box appeared asking me accept or decline permissions for 1mobile. I then opened the 1mobile app and it read version 3.9.7

SO it has to be possible to somehow update android apps on our phone, without deleting first. I haven't even been attempting to update apps, as soon as I get the notification for an update, I immediately deleted and installed the new version (and then delete and re-installing 1mobile so it reads that I have current version.) worth noting that 1mobile clearly recognized that it had updated itself, but still won't notice the new version or new apps you install unless you delete/reinstall... wish I could fix that too. I have a inkling that if 1mobile can update itself, if it somehow updated other apps, it would recognize the new versions and new apps too with some sort of work around... Idk thoughts folks?
    Last edited by ConRed; 11-28-13 at 12:18 PM.
    SDTRMG, NinjaB, spike12 and 2 others like this.
    11-21-13 03:04 PM
    I could not get 1mobile working, BUT maybe I will have to try Adam's blog....

How to download and install Android apps using the 1mobile Market on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    11-21-13 03:14 PM
    I could not get 1mobile working, BUT maybe I will have to try Adam's blog....

How to download and install Android apps using the 1mobile Market on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    Definitely worth the effort to get it working. Love it. What isn't working for you?

Posted Via CB10 on my BB10. (Curve 8530 > Curve 9330 > Z10 STL3 on TMO + Playbook)
    11-21-13 03:18 PM
    Definitely worth the effort to get it working. Love it. What isn't working for you?

Posted Via CB10 on my BB10. (Curve 8530 > Curve 9330 > Z10 STL3 on TMO + Playbook)
    Well the link I got from cnet just did not work I got a won't connect retry error when I tried to connect to the store itself, BUT the link in Adam's blog works link, I have joy! I now have 3 stores installed, Amazon, 1mobile AND Snap!
    11-21-13 03:23 PM
    Glad you sorted that out, enjoy.

pkcable likes this.
    11-21-13 03:29 PM
    Glad you sorted that out, enjoy.

Excellent thread BTW!!!!! I tightened up the title a little because it was a bit long, BUT awesome content keep up the good work!
    ConRed likes this.
    11-21-13 03:56 PM
    Excellent thread BTW!!!!! I tightened up the title a little because it was a bit long, BUT awesome content keep up the good work!
    Thank ya much!

11-21-13 05:29 PM
    Anyone have another idea for resetting the app data on the 1mobile app? The uninstall/reinstall song and dance gets old... granted it's because I'm toying with it, when I start using it only for normal use it probably won't be a bother. But any ideas/suggestions welcome.

11-21-13 09:18 PM
    Good post and it is great app store

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    11-22-13 12:04 AM
    UPDATE: Will add to OP too:

1mobile had an update today (11/28), not for another app, for itself.

Went from Version 3.9.6 to 3.9.7

For Kicks, I pressed update, it brought up the install screen as any app will do, but instead it said Update.

When previously updating apps in 1mobile, as we know, it gives an error message and may crash.

BUT the 1mobile app ACTUALLY updated itself. The app closed out, and I thought it had crashed, as expected, but then a permissions box appeared asking me accept or decline permissions for 1mobile. I then opened the 1mobile app and it read version 3.9.7

SO it has to be possible to somehow update android apps on our phone, without deleting first. I haven't even been attempting to update apps, as soon as I get the notification for an update, I immediately deleted and installed the new version (and then delete and re-installing 1mobile so it reads that I have current version.) worth noting that 1mobile clearly recognized that it had updated itself, but still won't notice the new version or new apps you install unless you delete/reinstall... wish I could fix that too. I have a inkling that if 1mobile can update itself, if it somehow updated other apps, it would recognize the new versions and new apps too with some sort of work around... Idk thoughts folks?

11-28-13 12:17 PM
    UPDATE: Will add to OP too:

I use snap to download from google play and after the download finish, it will invoked installation and it will says update so you don't have to delete the app first, just install right on it and it will be updated. To check whether there's an update for the apps, some apps will notify you when you're opening the app but for those that is not, i check regularly in google play via my laptop (been doing this since sideloading method discovered). The only downside from using snap IMO.
    11-28-13 08:52 PM
    I use snap to download from google play and after the download finish, it will invoked installation and it will says update so you don't have to delete the app first, just install right on it and it will be updated. To check whether there's an update for the apps, some apps will notify you when you're opening the app but for those that is not, i check regularly in google play via my laptop (been doing this since sideloading method discovered). The only downside from using snap IMO.
    So snap will update, but won't notify... and 1mobile notifies, but won't update. aye.

11-30-13 06:39 AM
    Wow nice thread. Thx a lot!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 08:16 AM
    Update:: I have been able to update apps from 1mobile without first deleting the app. Idk when this started or the culprit. I first noticed it when running 1259 on the latest 1mobile version. Forgot to point it out, hopefully someone else has, if not... Here you go. It works.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 10:30 AM