05-10-14 10:17 AM
28 12
tools
    Link to High-Res Photo - https://www.behance.net/gallery/1665...eme-HUB-Mockup

Mocked Up a Dark Theme HUB for BB10.3-sayvjn3.png
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 05-05-14 at 09:04 PM.
    05-05-14 08:21 PM
    Yep. That should be an option. Thanks for the mock-up.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:22 PM
    This better be an option.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:31 PM
    Problem is that to maximize energy efficiency for the amoled, shouldn't the Grey be completely black? A lot of the "dark themes" are just grey and it looks cool but I feel that pure black on the amoled looks much better.

A good example is snap2chats's "dark theme" and pure dark mode on a z30 or q10
    05-05-14 08:33 PM
    Problem is that to maximize energy efficiency for the amoled, shouldn't the Grey be completely black? A lot of the "dark themes" are just grey and it looks cool but I feel that pure black on the amoled looks much better.

True, can the mockup be revised with grey date "highlights" on pure black background?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:38 PM

Yes and no.

Having a dark-gray close to black still benefits the display greatly. It can dim it's colors and preserve a lot. Sure there is a little bit more of a benefit making it pure black, but making everything pure black is ugly to the UI and the added benefit is negligible.

Yes though, Snap2Chat did a great job with giving the option for pure black and the more attractive dark-gray. Either way, they both help battery out A LOT compared to white. It's just a minor difference from pure black to dark gray though, nothing to stress about.
    joejuck likes this.
    05-05-14 08:39 PM
    Beautiful mock. At first I was against the Dark Hub, but now after seeing such a great preview of what it could be I want it to happen.

Great work!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 09:27 PM
    I like the dark hub.

I can't stand the new circle center button. It's disgusting. It overflows its available area on the action bar and leeches into the app display area.

It's disgusting. I will not upgrade to 10.3 if the UI has these circles everywhere. Stay within boundaries.

Posted via CB10
    blicked likes this.
    05-05-14 09:34 PM
    I like the dark hub.

I can't stand the new circle center button. It's disgusting. It overflows its available area on the action bar and leeches into the app display area.

It's disgusting. I will not upgrade to 10.3 if the UI has these circles everywhere. Stay within boundaries.

Posted via CB10
    Then don't

Via CB10 Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    stratax and aminrajabi like this.
    05-05-14 09:39 PM
    Then don't

Via CB10 Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    Obviously I will not be. That is what I stated.

I am letting my opinions relating to this design be known in a relevant thread. That is the point of a discussion.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 09:43 PM
    I like the dark hub.
    I can't stand the new circle center button.

Posted via CB10
    Will you also take your toys and go home?

Seriously, you would decide now, on one simple graphical feature on a UI, to forgo any and all other advances on 10.3 that have yet to be revealed? Will you commit here and now to create a thread and weekly post your OS load for the remainder of the time you own a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 and stratax like this.
    05-05-14 10:27 PM
    I've always wondered why BlackBerry decided against bringing the dark theme to the HUB. Always felt strange going from dark theme practically everywhere including the messages in the HUB, to a white theme in the HUB itself. Hopefully this makes it through.

As for the circle I can see some debating above, I'm not a fan of it either. Almost seems unnecessary. Instead of exceeding the action bar, they should just highlight "compose" in blue in a similar fashion, albeit within the bar boundaries. It wouldn't stop me from updating, but aesthetically based on the developer builds, it isn't the nicest integration.
    blicked likes this.
    05-05-14 11:05 PM
    I much prefer this to the white that was shown by Mr Clewley. Black works so much better for BB10 and in my opinion, looks much better.
    05-05-14 11:17 PM
    I've always wondered why BlackBerry decided against bringing the dark theme to the HUB. Always felt strange going from dark theme practically everywhere including the messages in the HUB, to a white theme in the HUB itself. Hopefully this makes it through.

As for the circle I can see some debating above, I'm not a fan of it either. Almost seems unnecessary. Instead of exceeding the action bar, they should just highlight "compose" in blue in a similar fashion, albeit within the bar boundaries. It wouldn't stop me from updating, but aesthetically based on the developer builds, it isn't the nicest integration.
    The reason why there is no dark theme available for the HUB yet is because it's a complicated process. The HUB is very robust with a lot of moving parts. They have it on their list of things to do, but it's not a priority for them at the moment unfortunately. It will be added down the line, just be patient.

Also, when you scroll down, the bottom nav bar's circle and other two actions get tucked away so it really doesn't conserve space or get in the way when you most need that area (when scrolling). I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure they went through a lot of user testing to determine that this implementation makes sense. UX is not always for looks. if usability is improved from its implementation then it's worth it even if it was hideous. I personally like It though. Different strokes for different folks!

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    05-06-14 05:43 AM
    I much prefer this to the white that was shown by Mr Clewley. Black works so much better for BB10 and in my opinion, looks much better.
    Yep! Same here. Just give it some more time, it's on their list of things to do, just obviously not the biggest priority at the moment (for obvious reasons).

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 05:44 AM
    I just cannot get it why on my z30 hub is white and blue while every other applications are dark. The BlackBerry art team could just make it pink and yellow then.
    05-06-14 05:57 AM
    Finally a black theme that isn't ugly

Posted via CB10
    abass likes this.
    05-06-14 06:42 AM
    Here my mock up of the hub, complete with signature action, with the most energy efficient layout for amoled screen
    Mocked Up a Dark Theme HUB for BB10.3-img_20140506_205134.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DavideaNY; 05-07-14 at 05:54 AM.
    05-06-14 07:51 PM
    Personally, all my screens are in dark mode except HUB. Love the idea. Even my home screen is QNX Dark Theme. No boxes around apps either. I think it looks very professional on the Z30 but to each his (or her) own.
    Mocked Up a Dark Theme HUB for BB10.3-img_20140502_060936.png

STA-100-3 v10.2.1.2126
    05-06-14 10:20 PM
    Nice concept OP!

not every BB10 device is amoled...

Personally, all my screens are in dark mode except HUB. Love the idea. Even my home screen is QNX Dark Theme. No boxes around apps either. I think it looks very professional on the Z30 but to each his (or her) own.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140502_060936.png 
Views:	928 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	268291

STA-100-3 v10.2.1.2126
    I can still see your...... boxes

I like the dark hub.

hmmmm, I question this HIGHLY lol... you really gonna sit around and watch all the goodness that is 10.3 (and beyond, for that matter) from afar and not jump in because of an enlarged circle that really only looks to appear in native apps? as a tech lover, that would be so tough- for me, at least... I believe you if you say so, but I wanna see some periodic screenshots of your OS screen to prove it

oh and for the record, I actually agree with you, color the button if they want to but I'd prefer they didn't make it bigger cuz it does cut into the area that I can click on the message behind it.. but once 10.3 hits with a daily driver I don't think I'll be able to resist lmao
    05-07-14 02:00 PM
    I think the pros and cons can be dealt if there is option to choose dark or light hub.

I personally like the dark background not solely about power saving in amoled display but it also helps people with certain eye sight problem (like me )

Really like your concept though OP
    05-07-14 02:13 PM
    It will guys, i feel it!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 02:46 PM
    Nice concept OP!

not every BB10 device is amoled...

I can still see your...... boxes

hmmmm, I question this HIGHLY lol... you really gonna sit around and watch all the goodness that is 10.3 (and beyond, for that matter) from afar and not jump in because of an enlarged circle that really only looks to appear in native apps? as a tech lover, that would be so tough- for me, at least... I believe you if you say so, but I wanna see some periodic screenshots of your OS screen to prove it

oh and for the record, I actually agree with you, color the button if they want to but I'd prefer they didn't make it bigger cuz it does cut into the area that I can click on the message behind it.. but once 10.3 hits with a daily driver I don't think I'll be able to resist lmao
    Well so far I haven't seen any 10.3 features that I need.

I dislike flat UI in general. I use Windows 7 and not 8 because I dislike where the UI direction went.

So either BlackBerry will release some amazing crazy new features that I just need to have (unlikely) or I will not upgrade. Or they will realize their errors and allow me the option to have 10.2.1 theme.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 04:18 PM
    Well so far I haven't seen any 10.3 features that I need.

I dislike flat UI in general. I use Windows 7 and not 8 because I dislike where the UI direction went.

So either BlackBerry will release some amazing crazy new features that I just need to have (unlikely) or I will not upgrade. Or they will realize their errors and allow me the option to have 10.2.1 theme.

Posted via CB10
    Lol there are no errors.. They are adding consistency to their OS while moving forward. Honestly, they won't allow for a 10.2.1 theme, just don't ever update ever. Sorry bud, feel free to switch over to any other OS though, all of which have flat UI's as well. Even more flat than BB10.
    05-09-14 08:30 PM
    Lol there are no errors.. They are adding consistency to their OS while moving forward. Honestly, they won't allow for a 10.2.1 theme, just don't ever update ever. Sorry bud, feel free to switch over to any other OS though, all of which have flat UI's as well. Even more flat than BB10.
    The error is that a user doesn't like the design.

They may not make a 10.2.1 theme themselves ever, but if they allow for OS themes in the future someone will make it. I'm not under the impression that they will ever bring back themes, however.

I'm not going to switch to another OS. I love BlackBerry 10.2.1. It perfectly satisfies all my needs. I just won't be updating.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 09:26 PM
28 12