Disclaimer: This is a bug from the latest 10.2.01725 leak on my Q10. Not an official release. Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to get information available to Crackberry regulars/people who can maybe pass word along.

So I Just noticed that my password for a sensitive account has appeared in my input predictions above my keyboard. It's never been typed into a normal text field (always a dotted password field). *edit: to the best of my memory--perhaps it was accidentally typed into the address field instead of the password field when I setup my email account, but this is my only theory and not something I remember doing.

It appeared as the first prediction after typing its first letter. This hasn't happened anywhere but in a text message text field. But I could repeat it. It hasn't happened in this Crackberry post, however. *edit: I was just able to recreate it in this post by using two letters and the proper case.

I'm hoping it's only related to the unofficial leak, but I thought I'd give a heads up anyway.
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 09-22-13 at 12:04 PM.
    09-22-13 11:45 AM
    Holy crap that is a MAJOR bug. I hope BB is aware of it.
    09-22-13 11:48 AM
    I'm on 1725 using a Z10 but have not encountered this.
    09-22-13 11:48 AM
    Disclaimer: This is a bug from the latest 10.2.01725 leak on my Q10. Not an official release. Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to get information available to Crackberry regulars/people who can maybe pass word along.

So I Just noticed that my password for a sensitive account has appeared in my input predictions above my keyboard. It's never been typed into a normal text field (always a dotted password field).

It appeared as the first prediction after typing its first letter. This hasn't happened anywhere but in a text message text field. But I could repeat it. It hasn't happened in this Crackberry post, however. *edit: I was just able to recreate it in this post by using two letters and the proper case.

I'm hoping it's only related to the unofficial leak, but I thought I'd give a heads up anyway.
    Holy crap that is a MAJOR bug. I hope BB is aware of it.
    I can't replicate the issue on my Z10. None of my passwords are showing, in none of the places I can type stuff and send to people.

Could it be you have notes with your passwords somewhere in the device and it learned them? Or that you typed them in non-password fields one too many times? (Not saying it isn't a bug, just trying to rule out those options).
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-22-13 at 12:01 PM.
    09-22-13 11:50 AM
    i have not noticed this either
    09-22-13 11:51 AM
    I have no notes or password saving apps. This particular password is to one of my email accounts, and thus has the most complex password and is only used for this one account.

I've only had the OS installed for around a week. And the only place I have typed it is in the password field when I setup my EAS Outlook,com account in settings.

The only thing that I'm thinking is that I might have accidentally typed it into the account name instead of the password field of the settings app, but I don't remember doing that. It is showing up as three different forms of the password, and the second two predictions are incomplete, but sequentially correct.
    09-22-13 12:01 PM
    The only thing that I'm thinking is that I might have accidentally typed it into the account name instead of the password field of the settings app, but I don't remember doing that. It is showing up as three different forms of the password, and the second two predictions are incomplete, but sequentially correct.
    This. My Z10 knows all my emails. I think we found the culprit. Go and erase the database and the issue will be gone.

*Major 10.2 Bug (.1725)* Password Appearing in Predictions-img_00000005.jpg

Settings > Language > Predictive text and corrections > scroll down and hit Erase learned words.

KermEd likes this.
    09-22-13 12:06 PM
    This. My Z10 knows all my emails. I think we found the culprit. Go and erase the database and the issue will be gone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000005.jpg 
Views:	4194 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	204403

Settings > Language > Predictive text and corrections > scroll down and hit Erase learned words.

Yeah, I'm betting that's the problem. That said, It's not something that stuck. I feel like I've done it in a past build and deleted it immediately, but not sure if I did it this time.

I'll do some tests after I wipe my predictions.

All that said, if this is the reason I think it's still a little buggy that this has happened.
    09-22-13 12:20 PM
    Somewhat similar bug. My brother got busted via learned words on his Z10. Using Private Browsing, he entered a somewhat unsavory search in Google, and the keyboard popped up the entire multiword search ( on the keyboard, not the Google suggested searches) when his gf used his phone's browser.

I think BB10 should NOT learn words used when Private Browsing.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 01:16 PM
    Ok DocDRM that is too funny. Anyway yea this is a little odd having the system learn your passwords but it also saves them unless you type them out a lot or use a similar password in other parts. But if your phone is locked then your password is still safe. If someone else is using your phone what are the chances of someone typing the first few letters or numbers that your password would suddenly appear. How would they know it's your password? All that aside I think they should probably not allow the keyboard to learn anything from password fields. I say minor 10.2 bug but BlackBerry should know about it.
    09-22-13 02:03 PM
    Somewhat similar bug. My brother got busted via learned words on his Z10. Using Private Browsing, he entered a somewhat unsavory search in Google, and the keyboard popped up the entire multiword search ( on the keyboard, not the Google suggested searches) when his gf used his phone's browser.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty funny, but potentially damning. I agree that private browsing be safe from being learned. Further, the account pages should be as well, just for safety.
    09-22-13 02:59 PM
    Ok DocDRM that is too funny. Anyway yea this is a little odd having the system learn your passwords but it also saves them unless you type them out a lot or use a similar password in other parts. But if your phone is locked then your password is still safe. If someone else is using your phone what are the chances of someone typing the first few letters or numbers that your password would suddenly appear. How would they know it's your password? All that aside I think they should probably not allow the keyboard to learn anything from password fields. I say minor 10.2 bug but BlackBerry should know about it.
    Pretty funny, but potentially damning. I agree that private browsing be safe from being learned. Further, the account pages should be as well, just for safety.
    You guys are missing the point. The phone only knows his password because he typed it in the email field. The OS is designed to remember your emails.

If you don't type your password in un-protected fields often, there is no way it will learn them and openly suggest on the keyboard.

As for saving passwords for later use, I have only seen that in the browser and it will never show the password, it simply autofills the field.
    09-22-13 04:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I'm sure it was your brother! I keed I keed! Lol

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-22-13 04:38 PM
    You guys are missing the point. The phone only knows his password because he typed it in the email field. The OS is designed to remember your emails.

If you don't type your password in un-protected fields often, there is no way it will learn them and openly suggest on the keyboard.

As for saving passwords for later use, I have only seen that in the browser and it will never show the password, it simply autofills the field.
    Wait a second. I never said I typed it in the email field, it was only a theory. We'll see if I can recreate the bug with the remembered words wiped.
    09-22-13 05:15 PM
    So, not a bug. Just user error.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's rough. Funny to hear but rough nonetheless.

Anyway thanks for the heads up! LOL
    09-22-13 08:06 PM
    Ouch!

Trusted Member Genius
    09-25-13 10:14 AM
    Wait a second. I never said I typed it in the email field, it was only a theory. We'll see if I can recreate the bug with the remembered words wiped.
    Any updates? I have the same problem and I am pretty sure I did not type in the passwords in any other fields but the password fields.
    05-05-14 04:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Never search for "boy toys" on ya phone!

Posted via CB10 running on Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-05-14 11:19 AM
    This is still a problem on the latest OS if you use Android apps or type a password in a text field somewhere. Any password typed in such app will be remembered and displayed as a suggestion.
    This also happens with work data and could leak sensitive information if someone else were to use the personal side of balance to write a quick email or browse the web.
    05-06-14 07:07 AM
    This is still a problem on the latest OS if you use Android apps or type a password in a text field somewhere. Any password typed in such app will be remembered and displayed as a suggestion.
    This also happens with work data and could leak sensitive information if someone else were to use the personal side of balance to write a quick email or browse the web.
    Hmm... I thought they fixed it on a previous version, for the browser at least. I had this keywords-showing problems in the browser when I was using private browsing before, and since a specific version (it was even in the change logs I think), it is not registering or showing keyboard keywords to swipe.

Don't know about suggestions directly on the page though, I always decline to save my passwords. They should really put an option to deactivate this.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    05-06-14 07:26 AM
    I have a similar issue where the predictive text engine remembers URLs that I visit while in Private Browsing mode. This is bad.
    05-06-14 12:10 PM
    Of course if you mistakenly put your password in the wrong box then the phone will memorize it.
    I don't think it would memorize a password if you type it in the right place.
    IMO since this never happened to me

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 02:11 PM
    They need to come up with an update that will allow you to clear those memorized inputs.
    05-07-14 11:04 AM