01-14-14 05:21 PM
46 12
tools
    I've been hearing bad things about doing a full restore after loading an OS but it seems the latest is giving better restore results. I would rather do a full restore than to go thru the hassle of manually setting everything up. How has this been working out for folks?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 10:59 AM
    I did a full restore but it's painfully slow! I had 7 GB of "app data".

Next time I would just do a restore of media and settings. The rest I would just download manually

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:00 AM
    Wipe + install + wipe + restore, I have been following this since 1055 and it's working out fine.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-31-13 11:01 AM
    I've been hearing bad things about doing a full restore after loading an OS but it seems the latest is giving better restore results. I would rather do a full restore than to go thru the hassle of manually setting everything up. How has this been working out for folks?

Posted via CB10
    it's working ok with me.
    I would be doing an app and media restore only, but unfortunately I will lose all my tasks from remember.

So for me the full restore is a one way road...
    12-31-13 11:02 AM
    I did a full restore from 10.2.0 carrier release ( forget the exact version) against recommendations just to see.

Everything seemed fine at first, but after the first day I find I having to enter account credentials for some accounts each day, and HubPlusPlus isn't correctly matching accounts.

I had the account problem when I installed a leak of 10.2.0 as well until the carrier pushed an official upgrade so I can't say if it's specific to this release or not.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:04 AM
    I loaded 10.2.1.1925 and then restored and everything is working fine for me

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-31-13 11:27 AM
    I did a full restore from 10.2.0 carrier release ( forget the exact version) against recommendations just to see.

Everything seemed fine at first, but after the first day I find I having to enter account credentials for some accounts each day, and HubPlusPlus isn't correctly matching accounts.

I had the account problem when I installed a leak of 10.2.0 as well until the carrier pushed an official upgrade so I can't say if it's specific to this release or not.

Posted via CB10
    That's odd. I wonder if it depends on what OS you're coming from, on how well the restore does? Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:28 AM
    From 1055 to 1925 with a full restore, no wipe. No issues. I would not recommend it as there is enough evidence that restore creates issues, but I took a calculated risk, willing to do a fresh install if needed.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:57 AM
    You don't need to wipe wipe wipe. The autoloader will do the wiping. So just load,restore. 2 steps. Well 3 with backup.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 12-31-13 at 12:22 PM.
    miker476 and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-31-13 12:03 PM
    It works great for me. I was from 10.2.0. to this directly.

Everything worked better than I expected.
    12-31-13 12:07 PM
    This is my method with full restore that has worked putting both 1925 over 1055, and 1055 over whatever the last 10.2.0 leak was out.

This won't work for everyone because my setup is not really all that common.

Prior issues I did have included issues with contacts from Facebook reappearing in the contacts app ("off" switch not sticking), all other switch settings in contacts app and hub not sticking, android apps not wanting to load, and a few other things that I've since forgotten the details of.

Now, the only contact list I need is the one tied to my work exchange account. I know many have several sources, so that's why this won't work for everyone. Unless you have other methods of backup up contacts.

Before an update, I delete all accounts first. My work exchange accounts (takes out emails, calendar and contacts), then my home email account (IMAP email only), logout of Facebook, and remove the Evernote account.

Then I backup using Link. Since there are no accounts and contact lists to include, they don't mess anything up later.

Then I do a wipe, but that's probably not necessary. Still, it does take out all extra docs, downloads, media, whatever that got added to the internal memory (which should be in the backup anyway).

Just as a precaution, I will do a manual copy of certain files and directories from the internal memory to my PC. You never know.

Anyway, after the wipe is done, then I run the autoloader. Once that's done, then I reinstall all the app world apps. Then reinstall the side loaded android and native (but not on App World) apps like Snap, DROID Store, Google Maps 6 (because I still think the Navigation in that version is the best) and GBAEmu.

Once all the apps are in place, then I run the restore from Link. Full restore too. Once it's done, all the icon and folder locations are back. All apps have the related info saved. Browser bookmarks and all.

Then I go and recreate all the email accounts. With the exchange account back, all contact and calendar items return, as do all emails. Of course, my text messages (which came back with the restore, just with only numbers and no names), now have names associated with them.

Facebook is next, then I promptly unlink the few common contacts between FB and my exchange account contacts so I don't have phone contact issues. Maybe that bug has been fixed, but I still don't like the way it automatically links without asking first.

One thing I found out during my app install was that any direct apk app installed prior to the restore gets deleted during the restore. I didn't mention that I also reinstalled all the direct apks I had for that reason. I had to reinstall them again after the restore. Not sure why they were deleted, but they were. The ones sideloaded as bar files stayed.

But, in the end, I have no contact issues, everything works and all option settings actually stay put. At least that's what I've found.

Posted via CB10
    almosthumanfx likes this.
    12-31-13 03:08 PM
    As Dave said above, backup, install, restore. Worked beautifully for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 04:44 PM
    I didn't restore my backup -- reinstalled everything from scratch -- and everything worked fine so far. I was leery of doing a restore because I'd read about so many who had issues. I figured if I really needed to downgrade, all my data was backed up so I'd be good to go.
    12-31-13 05:51 PM
    Please how do you restore factory settings on a q5? I'm having blackberryid issues and the phone is new so I'd rather restore factory settings and hope it clears the problem but I don't know how to restore and would really appreciate your help.
    01-01-14 06:42 AM
    1925+wipe+full restore = happiness for me

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 06:57 AM
    I have always restored and never had significant problems. One caveat though I do not have any sideloaded apps and do not have my facebook contacts loaded (I am not a big facebook user, so rarely use the app). At one point I did have a bit of a problem with the restore (many leaks ago) and the advice at the time was to do the restore in stages rather than a full restore.

My process is backup/install/wipe/restore settings and media/restore applications. This has worked well for me and you can see in my signature all the leaks I have loaded.
    01-01-14 07:13 AM
    I did install + restore.
    From 1055 to 1925.
    No issue except time constraint as my app data is 6gb.
    3hours plus before I could use my phone as usual.

And none issues encountered gladly.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10
    01-01-14 07:16 AM
    I think I have mine upgraded cleanly now :-)

The only problems I had from a full restore were daily alerts asking me to enter googletalk and BB Link credentials. If you don't have google talk installed, and were not using link wirelessly or remotely, a full backup may "just work.

I have no idea what the bb link credentials one was about as I don't use remote access, but I've had the google talk problem before. There's also a thread on it that suggests the only way around it is to delete gtalk, backup your phone, wipe your phone, and restore with no settings
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lk-hub-833970/

I've always done a full restore because I was scared that not restoring settings would cause me to lose ALL my app configuration. It's probably well known, but not restoring settings only causes you to lose the OS settings and some data for the default apps such as remember.

After far too many hours doing various backup/restore tests with a 6gig backup, I've decided the following works

- on original OS, (10.2.0.1803 for me) delete google talk.
    - do a full backup in link
    - backup internal app data with firechest
    - wipe phone
    - install 10.2.1.1924 with autoloader
    - do inital setup (wifi, bbid)
    - restore "Application Data" and "Media" only - omit "Settings"
    - Once this is done, I had to manually reconfig basic OS settings, email accounts, box, dropbox, etc.
    All my apps requested permissions the first time run on the new OS, but I'm not seeing any problems.
    - after reconfig is done, I restored calendar, remember, and contacts from firechest
    - backup in link again before mucking with anything else :-)

fingers crossed that nothing crops up.

PS. the problems I saw with HubPlusPlus may be related to an update of that app, and directly to my OS update: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-thread-776735
    01-01-14 11:42 AM
    Just bumped the wife's Z10 from 0.1809 to 1.1925 and performed a full restore. Guess I will see what happens over the next few days

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    01-01-14 04:20 PM
    Just bumped the wife's Z10 from 0.1809 to 1.1925 and performed a full restore. Guess I will see what happens over the next few days

Keep us posted and good luck!

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 05:24 PM
    Well, first off dark theme doesn't work in contacts but I don't care about that

01-01-14 05:55 PM
    i had 11gb of everything, mostly app data. almost 90 minutes restoring all -.-!
    lucky i know how to adjust the usb3.0 speed to make it a little bit fast.
    01-01-14 10:32 PM
    How do I get this loaded? I tried to get it downloaded on my pc

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:51 PM
    Any one do this with a T-Mobile Q10? I did and I lost use of my SMS app.

I didn't find it in the HUB. Used the redundant app icon and no use. Then I used the search and contact short-cut and I could send texts but not receive them. I'm about to retry. Any advice?

I love what I saw soo far. Looking to get it running and I would love a... Installing Links for Dummies how too. I may be blond but I pick up things fair fast.
    01-02-14 03:13 PM
    Wipe + install + wipe + restore, I have been following this since 1055 and it's working out fine.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    Hey Siddharth,

Can you please let me know how to upgrade to 10.2.1.1925, step-by-step please?

Pankaj Jaju, Goa
    Pankaj@jaju.in

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:01 AM
46 12