12-21-13 02:52 AM
47 12
tools
    No you don't have to worry. Android apps run inside a so called 'sandbox'. This sandbox gives the android apps a separate place to run and can't get into you system. And for all the notification api's from android apps, blackberry translate those api's into their own api's, so if blackberry doesn't support an api from within the android app, it can't access anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

The VM/sandboxing thing certainly helps, but it is not magic.

Any software that can access your files, your contacts/PIM and other data, access the network, see account data and so on, can be malicious. This is a key reason the OS displays a warning every time you directly install an .APK.

People who install non-BBW-sourced Android apps need to make sure they obtain them from a trustworthy source, and then stay up to date on new versions because there is no Google Play handling that for you - ie if bugs or security vulnerabilities are subsequently discovered.

(I seem to recall the developer of the Snap tool mentioning he was working on some sort of update-checking mechanism.. which would be a very cool feature.)

And here is the word directly from the horse's mouth: Alec Saunders, head of Developer Relations for BlackBerry:

You'll have the ability to download APK's from any source and install them on BlackBerry 10 when we launch 10.2.1. We recommend you choose trusted sources given the well documented issues with malware on Android. BlackBerry World will not contain APK's however. BlackBerry World will remain the trusted curated source for applications vetted by us. Android applications found there will have to be signed and repackaged by the developer, and tested and vetted by us before they can be released via BlackBerry World.

See Upping our game for Android support: Easily bring your Android app to BlackBerry World «BlackBerry Developer Blog for more details.

Hope that's clear enough.

A
    11-26-13 10:49 PM
    Z30 # 1: Google Play Store was culprit, sixteen total APKs (no ported apps) installed. Z30 # 2: Same exact APKS installed, able to access Accounts. Q10 # 1: Four APKS installed, able to access Accounts.

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    11-26-13 11:53 PM
    Z30 # 1: Google Play Store was culprit, sixteen total APKs (no ported apps) installed. Z30 # 2: Same exact APKS installed, able to access Accounts. Q10 # 1: Four APKS installed, able to access Accounts.

So you're saying that even with Google Play Store installed on Z30 #2, it was working fine?
    11-27-13 12:31 AM
    For me first it was OUTLOOK app which i had downloaded using SNAP. As soon as i uninstalled it my accounts settings were back. since last couple of days I have installed many others apps from google store ( one of the Craigslist apps, some songs apps) which have caused the account issue again and again. I am sure there are many more apps like that. All of them i download through SNAP. I keep deleting the bad ones and then i get back my Accounts access. Hit and trial method. I have not reinstalled the OS. Once I delete the affected app everything comes back to normal for my phone. Hope this helps
    12-01-13 04:42 AM
    So you're saying that even with Google Play Store installed on Z30 #2, it was working fine?
    Correct.

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    12-01-13 04:48 AM
    For me first it was OUTLOOK app which i had downloaded using SNAP. As soon as i uninstalled it my accounts settings were back. since last couple of days I have installed many others apps from google store ( one of the Craigslist apps, some songs apps) which have caused the account issue again and again. I am sure there are many more apps like that. All of them i download through SNAP. I keep deleting the bad ones and then i get back my Accounts access. Hit and trial method. I have not reinstalled the OS. Once I delete the affected app everything comes back to normal for my phone. Hope this helps
    So, have you been able to install ANY android app since deleting the Outlook app that doesn't mess up your accounts page?
    12-01-13 09:19 AM
    Bb10 soundcloud

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:24 AM
    So, have you been able to install ANY android app since deleting the Outlook app that doesn't mess up your accounts page?

Yes because it seems that the earlier speculation here that it was more a matter of total Android apps installed rather than some specific app culprit, seems to be looking more and more likely.

It might not be simply number of apps either, there could be some sort of resource that gets used up incrementally for each app install (ie configuration space or something) which varies somewhat in usage from app to app.
    12-01-13 03:44 PM
    Exactly. I know it's not an exact number. Someone told me it was a max amount of memory used by android apps in a hidden folder somewhere but so far all I can find is mere speculation. It's for sure not individual specific apps.
    12-01-13 03:53 PM
    Hi OP Of all the apps listed in your OP I only had one installed which was viber.
    12-03-13 03:39 PM
    Clipper+ does that for me.
    But I have to reboot before the accounts restore, that never happened for any other android app with this problem.
    12-04-13 02:22 PM
    I don't believe installing Android apps is the single culprit of the accounts issue. I've had the issue on a 10.1 build quite a while ago when I had never installed any Android apps, plus there have been several people recently stating they had the issue and hadn't installed any either. Installing these apps may compound the issue somehow and it may just be coincidental that after uninstalling one or more apps the accounts are restored, but I believe the main issue lies more along the lines of backing up while being logged into accounts such as Facebook and Twitter and restoring from that backup, especially when backing up and restoring to a major build change (i.e.-10.0 backup and restore to 10.1, 10.1 to 10.2 or 10.2 to 10.2.1). I made this mistake when I installed 10.2.1.1055 and ended up having the accounts issue but had installed Android apps. After uninstalling one if them I did get the accounts back, but again, I've had the accounts issue without ever installing Android apps. I then decided to work with a clean slate. Wiped the phone, re-installed .1055 and did not restore anything and did NOT wipe again. Re-added all accounts, re-downloaded all apps (BlackBerry and Android) and reset all settings and notifications. It's a lot more tedious, but my phone is working flawlessly now with no accounts issues either.
    Omnitech and gpl4all like this.
    12-04-13 08:21 PM
    Actually, it's most definitely associated with installing Android apps. I can duplicate it over and over. Others have also done the same. It's not due to restoring from a backup either as I, and many others have the problem and haven't restored a backup file. I believe it could happen from doing a restore as something in the restore could cause it but starting over from a clean slate doesn't prevent the problem. I have the problem on my Z10, having done no restore, and cannot add a single additional android ported app without the accounts page failing to load.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-04-13 08:43 PM
    For me, the culprit was Zinio. With Zinio installed, I can't access accounts. Uninstall it and all us good.

Jason.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:19 AM
    I don't believe installing Android apps is the single culprit of the accounts issue.
    Agree on above statement, too many speculations on things we don't actually really understand.

I then decided to work with a clean slate. Wiped the phone, re-installed .1055 and did not restore anything and did NOT wipe again. Re-added all accounts, re-downloaded all apps (BlackBerry and Android) and reset all settings and notifications. It's a lot more tedious, but my phone is working flawlessly now with no accounts issues either.
    It might be a case, and could be a one source of problem relating to accounts, taken that different format of old version is pushed into new OS/application version.

For emails, bbm, and any other messaging data, i don't mind, but i have thousands of data kept in my Remember application (previously BB Notes on OS 4/5/6/7), there's no way to back it up and restoring it. so to me, clean install without restoring data is not a solution.

anyone got any idea how to backup restore Remember data?
    12-10-13 06:47 AM
    anyone got any idea how to backup restore Remember data?

I just found an app in BBW designed specifically for that purpose

Last update Dec 6:

All-Notes Backup - BlackBerry World
    gpl4all likes this.
    12-10-13 07:40 AM
    @omnitech: thank you for suggestion

and this is update of my problem, quoted from another thread:
    at last i have able to solve my problem with account setting (at least partially at this moment). these are steps i did:
    • wipe Z10
    • after it went back on, restore only settings & media (backup file from 10.2.0)
    • it rebooted after restore
    • and all my Remember data are there, along with all my accounts (need to be reverified)
    • my imap, gmail, facebook, twitter verified with no problem
    • the only problem is with yahoo mail, it just kept refusing my password (this I suspect because i used app password in yahoo mail).

now my Z10 is consolidating all data, after that i will try to load 1mobile apk and test it whether i still can manage accounts. will update result later.

update: first apk i installed: firefox/fennec 20.0.1.en-US.android-arm.apk from mozilla ftp site, and after that account management problem back again.

so to me, the problem is not related to google apk, and i use trusted apk which is from mozilla site.
    i suspect there's something to do with android player, not the apk itself.
    based on this fact, i strongly believe that apk/google is not the culprit, but the android player in 10.2.1.1055 is the one.
    12-11-13 05:00 AM
    Damn, I've done something to bring this back again. Need to get this figured out or bring on the next leak!
    12-11-13 01:21 PM
    I just had the issue and it turns out it was caused by Youmail, the visual voice mail application. Removing it allows access to accounts again.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:22 PM
    Hi. For me the problem was causd by Pocet.
    12-18-13 11:54 AM
    Yahoo Fantasy Football
    12-20-13 07:56 AM
    I can confirm that Soundcloud is one of the apps that may cause this.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 02:52 AM
47 12