03-28-14 11:38 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    I don't think OS leaks are hurting BB.

If you watch the comments here on CB or on the web, the feedback on 10.3 is very positive in general:

1. better performance
    2. more speed
    3. improved Android integration
    4. improved integration of social platforms
    5. better Camera
    6. lots of new features and functions
    7. etc.

Does this hurt BB? I think NO!

Is there anything at all that could hurt BB in the position they are right now in the market? Things can only get better...and they started to lift off in the right direction from my point of view.

The more interesting question is: how to gain marketshare in future and get the devices sold? Market is saturated and most people made theirs decisions towards iOS, Android or Winmo. So where is the entry point for BB? From a security point of view - and this is mostly relevant for business users - the platform is still the unbeaten. But when looking inside the companies right now, the end users have more free decision on which device to work from - it's called 'Bring your own device'.

So looking on my own company - a multi billion dollar Global player with above 400k employees worldwide - end users decide for the platform to use. We right now support Android, iOS and WinMo...no BB. Why? The company is not forced to integrate the platform, because there is nearly noone left using BB...So you see, the business platform, the former strength of BB, is gone also. So to change that, BB has to reach out to the consumer market more and more, making fancy devices, with fancy UI and lots of apps to use - just convince the average user to buy their products!

I guess a great idea could be, to integrate both major platforms (Android + iOS) appwise.

An example:

among my friends there are lots of people using iOS. When I talked to them in the past, where I was using Android only, some of them where really convinced the better choice for them would be Android (for reasons of functionality, battery, HW- pricing!!!, etc.) - but most of them kept using iOS. Why? Because they spend lots of money in AppStore for Apps and music - changing platform means all the money is gone!

So the key could be, to integrate both platforms on BB, giving consumer the possibility to keep their stuff from former platforms. Dunno if BB is working on that, if this is possible in general (there have to be aggreements with Google + Apple, that might never come true...)....just some thoughts.

Just my 2 cents on that, though a bit offtopic and maybe just dreaming...
    03-27-14 02:40 AM
    I believe he was mad about the 5" square screen leak, not the os leaks actually...

Trusted Member Genius
    03-27-14 03:04 AM
    I certainly didn't interpret kevins response in this way. He gave no firm commitment to continue to support the publishing and distribution of leaks on Crackberry.
    but Blaze did say banning leaks would be highly unlikely to happen..

and Kevin basically said they are going to happen no matter what, even if CB doesn't do it themselves.. so essentially they would still end up reporting that it was "out there", being BlackBerry news... I think there's also a reason why they both pointed out that CB has not leaked certain things that they deemed not ready, indicating imho they would likely continue to leak things that don't seem harmful in any way.

/me reading between the lines

as to the speculation on where/how we get these OS leaks from; I really don't think these are ALL controlled leaks.. there's just too many of them, and I really don't think they get as much quality feedback from them as people think... as someone in another thread mentioned (Omni i think), by the time we get these leaks, they're already working on a new OS version (as evidenced from 10.3 being dated Feb '14).... that means any bug reporting would be 99% useless because many things have changed and need to be retested.. I'm also pretty sure that no one from BB is going through all 65+ pages of that spammed up thread to discover what they've known for a year now: most of us love the UX, but we want more features/customization options on UI, and functionality to be able to do everything we did on OS7, just more efficiently and with the feel of that BB10 goodness.. pretty simple really.

maybe every once in a while, they might leak a major one with some new features, but it would probably a much higher version than .140..

oh, and it cracks me up when people say "look they listened to us, they finally made X feature available"... especially on something simple/obvious like being able to define a wallpaper for the home screen and lock screen separately or being able to rearrange settings.. no they're not scanning the pages of CB for these "groundbreaking" ideas, usually they're just implementing something that was long overdue or an improvement that most "pro-sumers" could easily see needed to be done... besides, if they were listening to us all along, the devices would all be perfect by now! right?
    Last edited by NinjaB; 03-27-14 at 03:38 AM.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-27-14 03:25 AM
    To serve notice to people not under his direct control that the company will go after them. Seems sorta obvious to me. See below.

Heins was CEO for 22 months, Chen has been CEO for 5 months. Chen has nothing to apologize for.

Heins took over a major OS revitalization project that had been planned prior to his promotion to CEO by nearly 2 years.

Under Heins, we saw delay after delay for BB10, and a product delivered with a substantial list of missing features, despite Heins promises to the contrary.

• 2010-04-12: RIM purchases QNX, largely to serve as foundation of next generation smartphone OS.
    • 2011-10-18: RIM officially announces BlackBerry 10.
    • 2011-12-15: Company says new phones running BlackBerry 10 won't be out until late 2012, instead of early 2012 as previously expected.
    • 2012-01-22: Thorsten Heins promoted from COO to CEO.
    • 2012-05-01: RIM unveils a BB10 device prototype.
    • 2012-06-28: RIM says it's delaying the launch of BlackBerry 10 yet again, to the first quarter of next year. CEO Thorsten Heins says RIM's top priority is a successful launch of the new BlackBerrys. He adds, "I will not deliver a product to the market that is not ready to meet the needs of our customers. There will be no compromise on this issue."
    • 2013-01-30: RIM official launch event for BB10 smartphones Z10, Q10. Q10 expected in April 2013, a disappointment to many.
    • 2013-01-31: Z10 goes on sale in UK
    • 2013-02-05: Z10 goes on sale in Canada
    • 2013-03-04: Rumors that the Q10 debut has been delayed
    • 2013-03-25: Z10 goes on sale in USA (Much later than originally expected)
    • 2013-04-29: Thorsten Hein publicly predicts BlackBerry will sell "several tens of millions" of Q10s (Hindsight: probably only ~2M have been sold to date)
    • 2013-05-14: BlackBerry announces Q10 US availability delayed until June 2013
    • 2013-08-30: Sprint USA finally starts selling the Q10
    But didn't he learn by watching Mike and Jim? I guess we'll have to, um, wait and see if Mr. Chen continues the trend.

Let's stop hurting BlackBerry ?-bbcomingsoon.png
    03-27-14 04:31 AM
    As much as this has been discussed, we should know that LEAKS DO NOT HURT BLACKBERRY, in fact they help them in a way, how? Cos BlackBerry isn't blind nor deaf, some employees from Blackberry do read these posts from people who have "tested" these leaks, they also not as to what the public is expecting, they then go back and fix or implement such changes.

And as for those who likes to compare BB10 with iOS, I think they better go to a market and buy themselves an Apple!

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    03-27-14 05:05 AM
    Leaks may never stop but please everyone. IF ANY BLACKBERRY OS EVER LEAKED AGAIN INSTALL IT WITH YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND NEVER EVEN ASK A SINGLE QUESTION BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE THINGS OUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE INSTALLING A LEAKED OS.

Yes well said. I would avoid altogether if I could but alas I have verizon, w h o i s s l o w t o r e l e a s e u p d a t e d OS!
    Posted via CB10
    [/QUOTE]Have you tried BlackBerry Link? I cannot be the only Verizon customer in the U.S. who gets updates...?
    03-27-14 08:15 AM
    LOL thats all I could think of after the first sentence..
    03-27-14 09:07 AM
    That's so khehl
    Haha :P the iOS player hasnt had any light since august, thought I bring it up

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:14 AM
    Double post, delete please mod. Can't delete posts on my CB10 app
    03-27-14 09:15 AM
    I am not fully convinced Chen is talking about leaked OSes. BBRY is where it is in part because the company lost sight of what consumers wanted. This was reflected in the first release of BB10, granted that was a half-baked product that was rushed to the market. That there are signs the company is finally listening to its users as evidenced in the last couple of updates is encouraging. However, BBRY is still behind the competition on some things that are fairly standard on other platforms. Feedback from "beta testers" is invaluable at this time in the company's evolution. It is one thing to have developers develop what they *think* users want; it is another thing to hear directly from users what they need.

Chen is too smart, or at least I think he is too smart to not know that. To that end, leaks do not hurt BBRY; they have the potential to provide user input that furthers creativity and development with the potential to leap past the competition with the type of functionalities that matter most to the people using the product.
    03-27-14 10:01 AM
    I'm aware of what are the results of leaked products or updates for any company. After reading what BlackBerry CEO John Chen had to say about it and how it may hurt BlackBerry I realized that what's happening with the OS leaks is not right, especially the 10.3 OS that was leaked not too long ago.

Some people, in fact few know that it's a very very very early build and it won't look anything like the final 10.3 OS. The other (not so intellegent) people however, never stopped complaining!

Oh it looks like iOS 7, Oh Bluetooth doesn't work, Oh there are pin watermarks on the screen, Oh this work that doesn't and what's even worst is making judgements and drawing conclusion on what the future of BlackBerry may look like based on those (not intended to be released leaked os's). I mean, seriously!!

Don't get me wrong, I love leaks and I can't wait to get a taste of what may be coming next for BlackBerry devices. But if it's going to be this way i'd rather not having leakes at all and enjoy official updates when they're ready.

Leaks may never stop but please everyone. IF ANY BLACKBERRY OS EVER LEAKED AGAIN INSTALL IT WITH YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND NEVER EVEN ASK A SINGLE QUESTION BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE THINGS OUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE INSTALLING A LEAKED OS.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry employees need to be careful because if they are caught leaking anything from BlackBerry they could not only be fired but sued at the same time. EMC which is a HUGE company is just one of the many companies who have done in the past to it's employees and been very successful at doing it.

So be careful, because BlackBerry has been relaxed over the past years doesn't mean they will continue to be!
    03-27-14 10:15 AM
    Who are you to tell people to do something with their mouth shut?
    03-27-14 11:21 AM
    All these people who categorically and simplistically state "leaks don't hurt the company" are really sort of hilarious.

I'm mean really, people. Do every one of you, probably most of which have never run any large business, much less a global multi-billion dollar consumer electronics business, really think you're a lot smarter than everyone who runs highly-competitive, fast-moving consumer businesses who have, as standard practice for many years, had policies and procedures to limit or block the disclosure of confidential, strategically-sensitive information to the public? Really?

You people crack me up.

Non-disclosure agreements don't exist just because your evil corporate overlords like to "limit your divine freedom". They exist because confidential, strategically-sensitive information is so critical to the competitive position of many companies it can easily make or break them.

Self-entitlement FTW.
    03-27-14 12:42 PM
    I still think the problem arrives when the leaks are posted on the home page of CB and now the other sites who have popped up.

It's the front page that brings the idiots and attention.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-27-14 12:43 PM
    Haha :P the iOS player hasnt had any light since august, thought I bring it up

Posted via CB10
    That is because Apple controls their leaks, and now that they have Seb it will be reinvigorated, he needs something to do for the next 6 months.
    03-27-14 12:47 PM
    I still think the problem arrives when the leaks are posted on the home page of CB and now the other sites who have popped up.

It's the front page that brings the idiots and attention.

I think there's some truth to that.

But CB, like most sites of its kind, is all about getting attention.
    03-27-14 12:52 PM
    IF ANY BLACKBERRY OS EVER LEAKED AGAIN INSTALL IT WITH YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND NEVER EVEN ASK A SINGLE QUESTION BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE THINGS OUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE INSTALLING A LEAKED OS.

Posted via CB10
    You're pretty new to this forum and you already have a handle on what the majority of us have said time and again.
    Problem is the moaners and groaners are usually too lazy to read. Then, the problem is always the software or something other then the one complaining.

Anyway, couldn't agree with you more, but you'll have to pray for a miracle for your statement to come true.
    At any rate,

to the Zoo!
    03-27-14 01:11 PM
    I'm mean really, people. Do every one of you, probably most of which have never run any large business, much less a global multi-billion dollar consumer electronics business, really think you're a lot smarter than everyone who runs highly-competitive, fast-moving consumer businesses who have, as standard practice for many years, had policies and procedures to limit or block the disclosure of confidential, strategically-sensitive information to the public? Really?
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 04:20 PM
    Yes

Let's stop hurting BlackBerry ?-triple_facepalm.png
    Mic_JP and toobs623 like this.
    03-27-14 06:14 PM
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...c_Facepalm.png

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    03-27-14 07:46 PM
    Just wanted you guys to know that you skipped the double facepalm

Let's stop hurting BlackBerry ?-jiffm.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Lostboy5151 likes this.
    03-27-14 08:04 PM
    Let's stop hurting BlackBerry ?-facepalm.jpg

Edit: damn that's small http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...VaGGJZPMV0dWns

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by toobs623; 03-27-14 at 08:19 PM.
    03-27-14 08:09 PM
    Who are you to tell people to do something with their mouth shut?

Yeah, really. He should have added, "keep your mouth wide open, just be very quiet about it!"
    03-27-14 09:12 PM
    Oh so now leaks are "hurting" Blackberry? After all this time with CB gleefully providing(if not outright endorsing) them, BB themselves turning a conveniently blind eye? Now it hurts?

It was always a bad idea.

03-28-14 09:38 AM
    Just in case you weren't sure what I felt:

Let's stop hurting BlackBerry ?-ronburgundybrick.gif
    03-28-14 10:15 AM
101 ... 2345