I say the ability to get leaks, run them, test them and extract what is working and loading it on other OS is what's makes BlackBerry fun to use, it what makes me buy every new phone BlackBerry releases just to play around with it. If it wasn't for leaks and Crackberry I'll still be a dumb phone user or at least a dumb smart phone user.

Posted on my flagship Z30 10.2.1.2234
    03-26-14 08:21 PM
    Let me try again...
    How does this answer my question? Why go public?
    To serve notice to people not under his direct control that the company will go after them. Seems sorta obvious to me. See below.

Also, at least Heins delivered bb10,so far Chen has delivered zip.
    Heins was CEO for 22 months, Chen has been CEO for 5 months. Chen has nothing to apologize for.

Heins took over a major OS revitalization project that had been planned prior to his promotion to CEO by nearly 2 years.

Under Heins, we saw delay after delay for BB10, and a product delivered with a substantial list of missing features, despite Heins promises to the contrary.

• 2010-04-12: RIM purchases QNX, largely to serve as foundation of next generation smartphone OS.
    • 2011-10-18: RIM officially announces BlackBerry 10.
    • 2011-12-15: Company says new phones running BlackBerry 10 won't be out until late 2012, instead of early 2012 as previously expected.
    • 2012-01-22: Thorsten Heins promoted from COO to CEO.
    • 2012-05-01: RIM unveils a BB10 device prototype.
    • 2012-06-28: RIM says it's delaying the launch of BlackBerry 10 yet again, to the first quarter of next year. CEO Thorsten Heins says RIM's top priority is a successful launch of the new BlackBerrys. He adds, "I will not deliver a product to the market that is not ready to meet the needs of our customers. There will be no compromise on this issue."
    • 2013-01-30: RIM official launch event for BB10 smartphones Z10, Q10. Q10 expected in April 2013, a disappointment to many.
    • 2013-01-31: Z10 goes on sale in UK
    • 2013-02-05: Z10 goes on sale in Canada
    • 2013-03-04: Rumors that the Q10 debut has been delayed
    • 2013-03-25: Z10 goes on sale in USA (Much later than originally expected)
    • 2013-04-29: Thorsten Hein publicly predicts BlackBerry will sell "several tens of millions" of Q10s (Hindsight: probably only ~2M have been sold to date)
    • 2013-05-14: BlackBerry announces Q10 US availability delayed until June 2013
    • 2013-08-30: Sprint USA finally starts selling the Q10
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-26-14 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fix minor chronological order error
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-26-14 08:46 PM
    [QUOTE=Omnitech;10170000]
    Let me try again...
    How does this answer my question? Why go public?

To serve notice to people not under his direct control that the company will go after them. Seems sorta obvious to me. See below.

Heins was CEO for 22 months, Chen has been CEO for 5 months. Chen has nothing to apologize for.

Heins took over a major OS revitalization project that had been planned prior to his promotion to CEO by nearly 2 years.

Under Heins, we saw delay after delay for BB10, and a product delivered with a substantial list of missing features, despite Heins promises to the contrary.

• 2010-04-12: RIM purchases QNX, largely to serve as foundation of next generation smartphone OS.
    • 2011-10-18: RIM officially announces BlackBerry 10.
    • 2011-12-15: Company says new phones running BlackBerry 10 won't be out until late 2012, instead of early 2012 as previously expected.
    • 2012-01-22: Thorsten Heins promoted from COO to CEO.
    • 2012-05-01: RIM unveils a BB10 device prototype.
    • 2012-06-28: RIM says it's delaying the launch of BlackBerry 10 yet again, to the first quarter of next year. CEO Thorsten Heins says RIM's top priority is a successful launch of the new BlackBerrys. He adds, "I will not deliver a product to the market that is not ready to meet the needs of our customers. There will be no compromise on this issue."
    • 2013-01-30: RIM official launch event for BB10 smartphones Z10, Q10. Q10 expected in April 2013, a disappointment to many.
    • 2013-01-31: Z10 goes on sale in UK
    • 2013-02-05: Z10 goes on sale in Canada
    • 2013-03-25: Z10 goes on sale in USA (Much later than originally expected)
    • 2013-03-04: Rumors that the Q10 debut has been delayed
    • 2013-04-29: Thorsten Hein publicly predicts BlackBerry will sell "several tens of millions" of Q10s (Hindsight: probably only ~2M have been sold to date)
    • 2013-05-14: BlackBerry announces Q10 US availability delayed until June 2013
    • 2013-08-30: Sprint USA finally starts selling the Q10
    Give credit where credit is do. Don't forget they found a way to launch the PlayBook without a native Email, Contact or Calendar app!
    03-26-14 08:51 PM
    Because apparently it's not clear to some people. And they are making it clear that they do not accept these internal OS builds and alpha products to just randomly end up in a blog.
    I don't think the issue are OS leaks, actually. Perhaps only tangentially.

BlackBerry is the one hurting itself. Charity begins at home therefore BlackBerry should tighten its Internal Control procedures to prevent these leaks. The leaks don't fall from the sky. SMH.
    Who cares about ex employees, they have no access. This is purely an internal matter (apart from the prosecution). Why announce to the world you have lousy security?

The company has already stated publicly that the central case revolved around someone who impersonated a company employee to a carrier partner in order to get the privileged info, which they then publicized.

I sincerely doubt that the issue is an internal corporate issue. The "leakiest" part in the chain are the strategic partners - typically wireless carriers and certain others - which necessarily have access to pre-release products and data, and which are under NDA not to release this information to the public. There is only so much the company can do to prevent those external entities from being stupid about confidentiality.

(Edit: Looks like I mischaracterized that - it was actually a person impersonating a carrier employee that Chen singled-out for criticism. So yep, there is a certain amount of BlackBerry corporate security involved in that, though not one of their employees.)
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-27-14 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added "edit" section
    toobs623 likes this.
    03-26-14 08:56 PM
    Has crackberry taken an official stand against leaks yet? Since they've been a major contributor to circulating them, I'm really expecting some clarity on their position in this matter now that Chen has stated his.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe likes this.
    03-26-14 08:56 PM
    Has crackberry taken an official stand against leaks yet? Since they've been a major contributor to circulating them, I'm really expecting some clarity on their position in this matter now that Chen has stated his.

Read the blog post on the homepage, especially the first comment.
    03-26-14 09:02 PM
    I don't think it's the software. It's the hardware. But I may be wrong. Either way, if it hurts the company in any way, I don't want to see it until they are ready. I don't care if I had never seen the current 10.3 Alpha. I'm fine with the amazing progress of 10.2. Again, if it hurts the company, I don't want to see it. But, I still hope some os releases do get an early peek, as. Long. As. It. Doesn't. Hurt. The. Company.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:12 PM
    But 99% complain.

1. People are dumb.
    2. A very large percentage of the obsessive leak tinkerers basically do it because it's their technology entertainment, and a way to "one up" their buddies by having something before someone else does. They don't care about the company, they don't care about the impact, they don't care where it comes from, they would install trojan malware in a heartbeat as long as it's labeled "New Kewl OS That Your Buddies Don't Have Yet".
    3. It doesn't help that BlackBerry 10 still has a significant number of missing or broken features, and BlackBerry Ltd. has an absolutely pathetic track-record when it comes to communicating their plans to their userbase and listening to their concerns in a way that actually leaves people with the impression they are actually doing something.
    CDM76 and Shadowyugi like this.
    03-26-14 09:13 PM
    Are you saying that my taking a p*ss is hurting my favourite fruit...oh man!! How do I hold it in???
    03-26-14 09:53 PM
    Read the blog post on the homepage, especially the first comment.
    Thanks. Good to know Crackberry will continue as it has till now concerning leaks.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 10:11 PM
    If a carrier has released it somewhere in the world, I don't think you could consider it a leak.
    True but that's not what Chen is talking about.
    03-26-14 10:56 PM
    Have to say that without a leak.... I would have returned my Z10. With the version that came with my Verizon Z10, battery life was four or five hours and the think rebooted when it taught i needed it most. Had talked with both Verizon and BlackBerry tech support - they both acted so surprised to hear about some random rebooting. But the Verizon tech support called me back, and told me that they would allow a no cost trade in. But I went ahead and installed a leak that fixed the rebooting issue and somewhat improved the battery issue.

Without a leak, I would have never gotten my daughter to buy a Z10. As she wanted it mainly for Instagram, and back then we didn't even have much of a 3rd party presences.

With a new OS like BB10 and the constant upgrades that different version have brought.... saying that we want users to wait and get the official updates from their carrier (in my case waiting MONTHS on Verizon, and only getting every other major update) is going to hurt the platform and BlackBerry more that a few people that have no business installing a leak (or official) OS.
    Chen is not talking about downloading other carrier releases and those aren't called leaks anyway. This is about future releases that are still in beta.
    03-26-14 11:01 PM
    I just wish someone would notice the PIN watermarks on the sides. Someone should bring it to the OPs attention so they can fix it for everyone
    Why should anyone feel compelled to fix something that shouldn't have been released?
    03-26-14 11:04 PM
    Does this mean we can get iOS apps on our BB10s now?
    mayeb in the works ? iOS Player is being worked on for "easy porting" so who know :P
    03-26-14 11:13 PM
    mayeb in the works ? iOS Player is being worked on for "easy porting" so who know :P
    That's so khehl
    03-26-14 11:13 PM
    With the red highlights on the keyboard I wonder if BlackBerry made different colours of keyboard so they could trace what Dept leaked the OS update???

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 11:27 PM
    With the red highlights on the keyboard I wonder if BlackBerry made different colours of keyboard so they could trace what Dept leaked the OS update???

Posted via CB10
    I have it on good authority, that I have no clue but if true would be very interesting indeed.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-26-14 11:31 PM
    Does this mean we can get iOS apps on our BB10s now?
    Sir, that's classified. I can't divulge that information.
    03-26-14 11:42 PM
    Well the leaks are not the consumers fault it came out so of course curious people will try it. The problem is inside blackberry who release the leaks? If John Chen has problem with it he should deal with it in his circle. But I think these leaks were deliberate so that people can test them and post feedback. It's easier to find problems and able to fix them right away if there are thousand of testers.

via Q10
    03-26-14 11:43 PM
    Well the leaks are not the consumers fault it came out so of course curious people will try it. The problem is inside blackberry who release the leaks? If John Chen has problem with it he should deal with it in his circle. But I think these leaks were deliberate so that people can test them and post feedback. It's easier to find problems and able to fix them right away if there are thousand of testers.
    I guess you haven't followed all the endless debates on this (not that I blame you), but the bottom-line on that is: no, the company doesn't get much useful feedback on bugs because by the time the leaks get into the hands of the public, most of those have been addressed already and the company is already internally testing a much more recent build anyway. (What is far more common are people wasting the time of their carrier or reseller or BlackBerry expecting them to support a non-public build of the software.)

Not to mention, the complete and total chaos that reigns in discussion forums like this is hardly an efficient way to do beta-testing. That's like expecting 10 cats to voluntarily defuse a nuclear bomb or something.

I already addressed the "in his circle" thing earlier today. I doubt the issue is internal leaks - people will and have gotten fired for that. The main issue are 3rd-parties with access to things, who do not adhere to the non-disclosure agreements they have signed. Unfortunately for smartphone makers, they have to collaborate with entities like regulators, carriers and app developers before they can release a product, and if those entities don't get advance information on new products, the product cannot be released on time.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-27-14 at 01:37 AM.
    blackmoe likes this.
    03-27-14 12:29 AM
    [*]Are you just blindly checking all of these because you aren't actually reading?
    ahahaha that's the one that killed me

I caught it, wasn't sure if it was intentional or not so I let it be! Haha
    yeah I thought dude was about to get roasted but surprisingly he got lucky thurask and co. were in a good mood lol...

Posted via CB10
    Blaze just did so on page 2 of this very thread... but if you somehow got to page 3 without going through page 2, Kevin also spoke on it in his response to the front page article...

Not to mention, the complete and total chaos that reigns in discussion forums like this is hardly an efficient way to do beta-testing. That's like expecting 10 cats to voluntarily defuse a nuclear bomb or something.
    lmao.... too true

to build on someone else's idea that maybe the red is BB's way of testing the mole/leaker... and in line with a response that it usually happens at the carrier level.... what if they were to do it by carrier, red for Verizon, yellow Sprint, Blue ATT, etc? and maybe have other slight differences so they could pinpoint what region, etc...

even though I don't think OS leaks hurt BB as much as hardware designs, plans, etc.. and even as a user of leaks, I wouldn't mind if leaks stopped IF AND ONLY IF, as Kevin said in his reply to Adam's blog post, the dialogue is kept open with customers... that means some sort of roadmap on what phones/features to expect down the line so there's still something to look forward to or get excited about, and continuous info in the pipeline so it doesn't seem like we're just waiting...
    03-27-14 01:22 AM
    ...as a user of leaks, I wouldn't mind if leaks stopped IF AND ONLY IF, as Kevin said in his reply to Adam's blog post, the dialogue is kept open with customers... that means some sort of roadmap on what phones/features to expect down the line so there's still something to look forward to or get excited about, and continuous info in the pipeline so it doesn't seem like we're just waiting...

This is one of the ways the BlackBerry constantly shoots itself in the foot.

There are SO many things that would not get so out of hand and constantly keep eroding the company's public image and mindshare, if only they would learn how to get on top of managing their message and doing a MINIMAL amount of public informational work - including simple education of users about the features of the product.
    03-27-14 01:42 AM
    While I was using Galaxy S and Galaxy SII, I was downloading leaked firmwares from Samfirmware on montly basis and Samsung still gained market share... really, cant see how leaks are hurting company, while I can see how core OS guy departure to competition can hurt company. This anti leak war is BS. Chen is clueless and incapable, you'll see. He is nailing BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:58 AM
    -There is a serious lack of knowledge or understanding of various terminologies.

A (ALPHA) release First complete, prototype build which incorporates all the various coded modules for software and hardware interoperability testing.
    B (BETA) release Major, preproduction, prototype release with major bugs and compatibility issues resolved, but needs more real world testing.
    Official (Production) release A final version of software or hardware which is predominantly bug free. This release may be an update release (higher version number) which incorporates minor bug fixes, new features and/or functionality. This may also be referred to as an upgrade release.
    Carrier Version The basic OEM software with carrier specific modifications such as: type of radio hardware, SIM card connectors, branding, specific carrier applications (bloat ware), or the deletion of, or restriction to, access features that the carrier has does not support
    Leak Officially unsanctioned or unapproved release of information, hardware, or software which is usually still in A or B phases, or not yet scheduled to be made public.
    Industrial Espionage The act of unlawfully gathering, or attempt to gather, internal commercial information and/or trade secrets by dishonest means, as by telephone- or computer-tapping, infiltration of a competitor's workforce, etc, in order to gain a technical or market advantage, or to cause damage to a company.

-Hurting BlackBerry

Most of the hurt to BalckBerry is from their competitors, the carriers sales staff, media, and ignorant consumers. BlackBerry has made some mistakes and is trying to turn around. This will probably take some time. The constant complaining and bickering in the forums does not help much, either.

Chen is doing his best to improve things. He came into a company that was having some serious issues. He is consolidating, reorganizing, and refocusing BlackBerry to increase cash flow, as well as investing in becoming a presence in emerging/underserved markets. We all need to give it some time. He has only been here for five months. Read his bio and do some research on his previous endeviors.

I am sure, that with all of the furniture moving BlackBerry is presently doing, there are many disgruntled employees trying to hurt their (previous) employer. I feel certain that a lot of the device leaks may be from the guy who e-mails, or saves on a thumb drive, a photo of the latest prototype to his buddy. Then it gets passed around.

-Since this thread has turned in a debate of leaks, here is what I posted, elsewhere:

I am of the opinion that a majority of the OS leaks are controlled leaks: Leaks of a nearly polished OS for the evaluation and testing in the largest test bed available THE REAL WORLD. There is no way that this could be accomplished in the lab. The CrackBerry members are all too willing to oblige.

The current 10.3 leak was probably a result of the recent data breech. This has revealed potential prototype hardware and unleashed, from my readings of the forum, a very incomplete A version on the masses. The problem is that an OS, still in A, is being irresponsibly installed on the daily driver devices of those who want to be on the bleeding edge.

As an engineer, I know the importance of alpha and beta testing, before final release. I also know that, in the case of BBOS10, it is impossible to simulate or hard test every combination of device settings and app combinations. Hence, the controlled leak.

I also understand the interoperability testing of device, OS, and network combinations that the carriers do to certify certain combinations on their network, as well as the carriers additions of bloatware. Being an AT&T customer, I was frustrated with the delay in releasing 10.2. So, I got another carriers version and loaded it. I did the same thing on my Bold 9900 (backup phone), and my old Curve (Which my 60 year-old mother loves).

Industrial espionage is a serious thing. (So is patent infringement.) This may have been the motivation of the data breech, and possibly the 10.3, leak. Coming from the Intelligence World, I know that it does not take much to assemble a few pieces of information, rumor, and extrapolated data into a big picture. This is where companies lose their edge. Competitors can use this information to narrow focus on developing competing technology or products and accelerate their release to gain the market edge. This is why so many companies file for patents, and defend them so strongly. Many companies will even do all the work for a patent application, wait months to file, and only file days before the including product is released.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    03-27-14 02:09 AM
    Thanks. Good to know Crackberry will continue as it has till now concerning leaks.

Posted via CB10
    I certainly didn't interpret kevins response in this way. He gave no firm commitment to continue to support the publishing and distribution of leaks on Crackberry.
    03-27-14 02:23 AM
101 12345