03-13-14 02:07 PM
2,959 ... 8283848586 ...
tools
    I guess it is not obvious that when you load a new OS it wipes everything that was on the device. A wipe before loading an OS is useless. A wipe after is equally useless.
    I was under the impression that you should always do a wipe after the install so it can clean up any files the autoloader might have left behind? I have read about doing this on some of the leak install post.

Sent from my z10 running 10.2.1.537
    PJD642 likes this.
    12-30-13 02:21 PM
    Tried downloading from mega and file factory but both failed for me was going to be my first leak too

Posted via CB10
    Try downloading the Mega Downloader Beta 0.82 and install it. It is a Windows application and you can copy the URL in to that for downloading. I have never had an issue downloading any leaks or others with this. It can run minimized too in the system tray.
    12-30-13 02:22 PM
    I guess it is not obvious that when you load a new OS it wipes everything that was on the device. A wipe before loading an OS is useless. A wipe after is equally useless.
    loading new OS does not fully wipe the device. For example if you have a device pw after loading new OS your pw is still there. I have had issues when not doing a wipe after upgrading so I usually do one. However lately I have been seeing more posts stating wiping after install causes issues as well. Would love a definitive answer on this but not sure there is one.
    12-30-13 02:37 PM
    loading new OS does not fully wipe the device. For example if you have a device pw after loading new OS your pw is still there. I have had issues when not doing a wipe after upgrading so I usually do one. However lately I have been seeing more posts stating wiping after install causes issues as well. Would love a definitive answer on this but not sure there is one.
    I wipe before loading and not after. Wiping after can sometimes cause issues I have noticed.

10.2.1.1925 and never going back.
    12-30-13 02:46 PM
    This totally worked! Thanks so much, time to install

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 02:47 PM
    Try downloading the Mega Downloader Beta 0.82 and install it. It is a Windows application and you can copy the URL in to that for downloading. I have never had an issue downloading any leaks or others with this. It can run minimized too in the system tray.
    Thanks so much cchilderhose this worked perfectly

Posted via CB10
    cchilderhose likes this.
    12-30-13 02:49 PM
    I wipe before loading and not after. Wiping after can sometimes cause issues I have noticed.

10.2.1.1925 and never going back.
    I don't know whether or exactly how a wipe before and/or after an install helps--I agree that despite all the discussion and strong opinions pro and con there still has been no consensus among highly experienced BB users.

What I do know from experience is that, as crackfinder says, a wipe /after/ install can cause some problems. It did with my setup after the 1055 installation. I and many others found that wiping after the 1055 install irreparably messed up MMS and the APN settings, and the only solution was to do a reinstall of 1055.

If you want to spend the time and energy, you can do a wipe before an install, do the install of the new OS, do another wipe, then do a reinstall of the new OS. That would cover all the bases, I suppose, although it pretty much kills a day, or maybe I should say wipes it.
    moody likes this.
    12-30-13 03:30 PM
    If you want to spend the time and energy, you can do a wipe before an install, do the install of the new OS, do another wipe, then do a reinstall of the new OS. That would cover all the bases, I suppose, although it pretty much kills a day, or maybe I should say wipes it.
    Run autoloader --> do security wipe --> run autoloader again should be good enough.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:00 PM
    Run autoloader --> do security wipe --> run autoloader again should be good enough.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, it's plenty.

What I'm really hoping is that with 1925 we've seen the last of the autoloaders, and if 1925 isn't the release version, the one that is can be installed nondestructively via OTA, Sachesi, or another carrier's SIM.

It's interesting that BlackBerry itself has never said to wipe for their OTA upgrades, have they? They could very easily instruct users to backup via Link, wipe, then do the OS install via Link and restore if that's what they thought should be done.
    moody likes this.
    12-30-13 04:14 PM
    My god I have tried for the past 1 hr to download the auto loader from Mega and each time windows does not recognise it , then I tried downloading the rar still no luck. Okay I have done leaks before but this is my first bb10, wth am I doing wrong please?
    12-30-13 06:26 PM
    OK. Now I'm confused. Wipe or don't wipe.....? Before or after OS install.....? I just want to do what is the best for downloading a new leak. On 1055 I did a full backup with Link, ran autoloader, security wiped, restored from backup and all worked perfect. Final thoughts before I load this one? I have the autoloader ready and backup is complete. Ready for the next step......

Verizon Z10 STL100-4 10.2.1.1055
    12-30-13 06:37 PM
    I just tried to install this on Q5 and got the 5 red LED flashing error on bootup (wont bootup). Currently reloading device. Why didnt it work?
    12-30-13 06:42 PM
    To me security wipes should only be done if you are having an OS issue that is not resolved by another manner( battery pull/ volume key reset)

It should not be part of a standard OS loading procedure

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    HotFix likes this.
    12-30-13 06:52 PM
    OK. Now I'm confused. Wipe or don't wipe.....? Before or after OS install.....? I just want to do what is the best for downloading a new leak. On 1055 I did a full backup with Link, ran autoloader, security wiped, restored from backup and all worked perfect. Final thoughts before I load this one? I have the autoloader ready and backup is complete. Ready for the next step......

As QWKSNKE says, you probably don't need to wipe. And as I said above, if you're going to wipe, do it /before/ not after an OS install, but if, as some people say, the wipe gets rid of stuff from the previous OS that may interfere, then wipe after you install the new OS, then reinstall the new OS. IOW, you install the new OS twice, then restore your data.

Probably all a waste of time, but no one really knows for sure.
    12-30-13 07:03 PM

I back up and installed 1925 over 1055. No wipe.
    Just run autoloader and restore everything from Link.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10
    Honua likes this.
    12-30-13 07:03 PM
    Ok so I now know I needed winzip, so kits downloaded and so far all well except it wont accept my restore, will keep trying though.
    My god I have tried for the past 1 hr to download the auto loader from Mega and each time windows does not recognise it , then I tried downloading the rar still no luck. Okay I have done leaks before but this is my first bb10, wth am I doing wrong please?
    12-30-13 07:35 PM
    well, the restore does not work but when I checked bbworld, my world and available all my previous apps were there so re downloading as we speak. then when is settled I look forward to the new leak and then perhaps the android files! thanks op/
    Ok so I now know I needed winzip, so kits downloaded and so far all well except it wont accept my restore, will keep trying though.
    12-30-13 07:41 PM
    Ok. I'm gonna load the new OS and then do a full restore. If I see any issues that's when I'll try a security wipe and reinstall. Hopefully won't be necessary. Thanks for all the help.
    12-30-13 07:45 PM
    Ok. I'm gonna load the new OS and then do a full restore. If I see any issues that's when I'll try a security wipe and reinstall. Hopefully won't be necessary. Thanks for all the help.
    Happy happy happy.

Posted from my Z30
    moody likes this.
    12-30-13 07:56 PM
    never mind got it sorted out
    Last edited by speedygo; 12-30-13 at 09:56 PM.
    12-30-13 09:45 PM
    Did as I said, almost. Security wiped, ran autoloader, full restore. Result - Happy, Happy, Happy, indeed..... All seems to be working perfectly so far. thanks for all the help. Off to update my signature to 1925.

12-30-13 10:38 PM
    I've read this whole thread. Still on AT&T Z10 STL 100-3 10.1.0.2019. Should I wipe or install directly using Sachesi? And what about my radio settings for AT&T? Kind of shook cause this is my only device. Help!

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    12-30-13 10:40 PM
    If you read the whole thread you would see that the upgrade isn't available through sachesi yet. Must use an autoloader

Via CB10 /Rogers/Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    anon721037 and SteelGreek like this.
    12-30-13 10:47 PM
    Did as I said, almost. Security wiped, ran autoloader, full restore. Result - Happy, Happy, Happy, indeed..... All seems to be working perfectly so far. thanks for all the help. Off to update my signature to 1925.

Worthless though wiping may be, it is at worst a waste of 20 minutes if you do it before installing a new OS. The most time consuming part of an install is the data restore and then setting up the accounts again and re-installing the Android apps and reconfiguring them, since you can't back up their data in Link. That process always seems to consume upwards of a couple of hours, so the extra 20 minutes spent in the security wipe doesn't seem excessive.
    12-30-13 10:53 PM
    I've been doing this a while. Here's what I do.

I use the cloud for basically all my PIM stuff. So I don't really worry about contacts, calendar, remember, emails. Those sync when I setup my Office365 account.

I also use the cloud for certain Android apps. Mostly games, so not exactly mission-critical.

I do rely on SMS heavily. I bought SMS Backup by Epic Windmill long ago. That is basically the only third party backup I use.

I do use Hub++, and it's internal backup.

Before I load any OS, I run SMS Backup, do a Hub++ backup, then I do a security wipe.

I load the new OS and start fresh. I never use Link. Ever.

I keep a text document with my notifications, which I reset every time (Hub++ makes that easier).

Yes, there are benefits to doing a wipe before installing an OS. No, it is not a complete waste of time.
    Pdinos3 and anon721037 like this.
    12-30-13 10:54 PM
2,959 ... 8283848586 ...