08-03-13 12:11 AM
82 1234
tools
    Could it be that BBRY is preparing the OS when 10.2 hits; By making some small changes to 10.1 to accommodate whatever 10.2 brings?
    Not really, 10.2 is a different OS in almost every sense, it is highly optimized comparing what we have now officially. Don't get me wrong, BlackBerry 10 did perfectly showed that specs is not everything by giving a fluid and lightning fast experience on a dual core hardware with real multitasking capabilities. Now they step up to next level even with this high standard.

Also, to address another thing, carriers have to whitelist an update to became available via OTA. What that basically means, they should have been tested. The sms issue proves that those testing is overrated because:
    1. Didn't came up so they wasn't aware of it. (and they should have been)
    2. They knew it and still went ahead to release it.
    Choose whatever you want to believe, but one of the two is true.

And addressing the 810 restore issue: it's not a publicly released software so that problem never should have been surfaced at all. But we know that since 810 they finished the migration scripts that was half ready in 810, so it should resolve most of the issues related with restoring from backup. Will it work perfectly? I highly doubt. But if you need some data that is important, and you don't have backup of it, it's an user error.

And my 2 cents: sms is like sticky notes, if you rely on them, you'll be screwed sooner or later.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    ibpluto, Mecca EL and SteelHelmet like this.
    08-02-13 01:13 AM
    Where the f* did I say anything about 810?!? I mentioned 10.2 once only to discuss that there are no further issues if people wish to go to a build were the translation between the previous version and the "current versions" isn't an issue... I mean seriously read and tell me where I said anything about 810
    You said the structure that's changed remains changed in 10.2. That's where the f***. Unless you are going to make yourself CLEAR. You want to use the four letter words and try to abuse people on here.. you got another thing coming
    08-02-13 01:29 AM
    And you know something...I tell it like it is too. no feinting
    08-02-13 01:37 AM
    You said the structure that's changed remains changed in 10.2. That's where the f***. Unless you are going to make yourself CLEAR. You want to use the four letter words and try to abuse people on here.. you got another thing coming
    He said 10.2 not 10.2.0.810 like you suggested

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:09 AM
    He said 10.2 not 10.2.0.810 like you suggested

Posted via CB10
    Pretty general statement. ...s***, all I did was ask a question. I assumed 10.2 meant 10.2, whether it was 810 or 483 or 893 or whatever. That is why I asked the question. Understand? Or do I have to make it clearer?
    08-02-13 08:39 AM
    Not really, 10.2 is a different OS in almost every sense, it is highly optimized comparing what we have now officially. 0
    On what are you basing this claim? It seems like the same basic OS to me, just with new features added on.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:46 AM
    Pretty general statement. ...s***, all I did was ask a question. I assumed 10.2 meant 10.2, whether it was 810 or 483 or 893 or whatever. That is why I asked the question. Understand? Or do I have to make it clearer?
    No there's nothing to make clear read what I say the first time, and all is good, I do rarely screw up and I'll say it when I do, but this isn't the case. If 10.2 = 10.2, then by association 810 = 483 = 893 = 10.2.0.xxxx. That's simply not the case as has been pointed out. I mentioned 10.2 very specifically for a reason and not 810 as Kris pointed out. Alright I believe I've dispatched with this question...
    08-02-13 09:42 AM
    On what are you basing this claim? It seems like the same basic OS to me, just with new features added on.

Posted via CB10
    Basing the claim off the underlying code thats all been shifted and changed?
    08-02-13 09:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    The claim is pretty evident if you look at a dump of the OS that's there's "major" changes which is a technical term in programming. We also can use devOS diagnostics, view system processes, et cetera... Besides the quantitative information there is qualitative things that we can pick up on by just using things, remember the 10.2 OS builds that you may or may not have been loading are still far from complete. Which is why people have been being given 10.1 MR in the meantime officially. So again besides everything here, I'm not going to justify Adam's perfectly stated comment that you quoted. OS 10.2 is fundamentally different from the structure of the databases, to the full integration of cascades to include removing the AIR-based settings, et cetera...

So to reiterate what Adam said, OS 10.2 is completely different in many ways from 10.0 and 10.1, and very much for the better...
    toobs623 and Mecca EL like this.
    08-02-13 09:49 AM
    I think you guys are setting expectations too high. 10.2 isn't done but it's not radically different in performance than 10.0 or 10.1. These are incremental upgrades.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:57 AM
    I think you guys are setting expectations too high. 10.2 isn't done but it's not radically different in performance than 10.0 or 10.1. These are incremental upgrades.

Posted via CB10
    You really think so? What about the fact that complete 10.2 builds will sport Android Jelly Bean Runtime to say the least? This is a huge difference from 10.0 and 10.1...the ability to sideload without any problems and run smoothly Android apps...and much more stuff that we don't know about yet...heck, I haven't even tasted a single 10.2 OS and I'm liking it already!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-02-13 10:17 AM
    You really think so? What about the fact that complete 10.2 builds will sport Android Jelly Bean Runtime to say the least? This is a huge difference from 10.0 and 10.1...the ability to sideload without any problems and run smoothly Android apps...and much more stuff that we don't know about yet...heck, I haven't even tasted a single 10.2 OS and I'm liking it already!
    The new Android runtime is a big deal, don't get me wrong. The claim that I was seeking clarification about was that10.2 is basically "different in every sense" and "Highly Optimized " as compared to 10.1.

The new features in 10.2 have been public for along time. Just check out the Dev site, where you can see the road maps.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've said this in many a thread, 10.2.0.xxx is a Ferrari on flat tires. Even in it's fractured state it out performs 10.1 and 10.0. I'm not even concerned with the runtime, as I am concerned with the way it delivers. User input is immediate, on all levels. Even the buggy parts outperform. Use any of the available tools, and take it apart. Compare it to sibling OS, if you have doubt. There's nothing that anyone needs to verify, that you yourself can logically conclude.

Now...if you're setting a bar based on installation woos
    SteelHelmet and toobs623 like this.
    08-02-13 10:32 AM
    I would disagree (I'm more in the lawguy camp) as follows:
    WiFi calling is totally borked so if you're a T-Mobile user your only choice is to turn off WiFi. If you try to make a call while on WiFi and you move slightly out of the WiFi range the call drops. And the latest & greatest 810 isn't available yet on the Q (hopefully soon)
    While 810 is faster/smoother the whole purpose here (at least for me) is to be able to make phone calls, SMS and email as I don't give a rat's a$$ about sideloading. In that respect I don't see a lot of change between 10.1 and 10.2 though I do admit that 10.2 is faster and smoother.

I've said this in many a thread, 10.2.0.xxx is a Ferrari on flat tires. Even in it's fractured state it out performs 10.1 and 10.0. I'm not even concerned with the runtime, as I am concerned with the way it delivers. User input is immediate, on all levels. Even the buggy parts outperform. Use any of the available tools, and take it apart. Compare it to sibling OS, if you have doubt. There's nothing that anyone needs to verify, that you yourself can logically conclude.

08-02-13 10:45 AM

I have had no installation woes and I agree that 10.2 is better than 10.1 or 10.2 even though it is not finished. That said, I don't notice any real performance improvements like you are talking about. BB10 has always performed well. What I notice are the new features. The core seems the same.

New features will require new code so you can spot differences in code easily enough. The proof as far as performance goes is in the pudding and subjective impressions are very unreliable. Every leaks is smoother and has better battery life, at least that is what some people always say.

A interesting thing to test these claims would be a side by side video of devices with different OSs.

I will admit that the Settings app is much better but that is not seriously subject to debate.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:47 AM
    WiFi calling is totally borked so if you're a T-Mobile user your only choice is to turn off WiFi. If you try to make a call while on WiFi and you move slightly out of the WiFi range the call drops. And the latest & greatest 810 isn't available yet on the Q (hopefully soon)
    While 810 is faster/smoother the whole purpose here (at least for me) is to be able to make phone calls, SMS and email as I don't give a rat's a$$ about sideloading. In that respect I don't see a lot of change between 10.1 and 10.2 though I do admit that 10.2 is faster and smoother.
    I'm a T-Mobile user. Wifi calling works this way, unfortunately. Unlike UMA, I think that there is no hand off from Wifi to Cellular. I have the T-Mobile app installed and it works fine to disable Wifi calling if I need to. I have unlimited calling so there is not much benefit to me of this anyway.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:51 AM
    And again, like others you are comparing (and complaining about) a crippled, unfinished software which is 10.2 leaked builds against 10.1 ones which have already reached a MR stage. Pretty sure full functionality will be there when it is complete.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-02-13 10:55 AM

So if I hear what you are saying correctly, although I am on 10.2.810, I "ain't seen nothin yet"??
    08-02-13 10:58 AM
    I'm on Tmo also. I know for a fact that the wifi calling headache is on their end. Has nothing to do with the OS.

And we must keep the perspective of this OS being borked. It is a known, that it is faulty. Comparing it's faults to an "official" release...I'm enjoying making the engine noise for this OS. Just my 2 cents.
    08-02-13 11:02 AM
    I have had no installation woes and I agree that 10.2 is better than 10.1 or 10.2 even though it is not finished. That said, I don't notice any real performance improvements like you are talking about. BB10 has always performed well. What I notice are the new features. The core seems the same.

New features will require new code so you can spot differences in code easily enough. The proof as far as performance goes is in the pudding and subjective impressions are very unreliable. Every leaks is smoother and has better battery life, at least that is what some people always say.

A interesting thing to test these claims would be a side by side video of devices with different OSs.

I will admit that the Settings app is much better but that is not seriously subject to debate.

Posted via CB10
    A side by side video...agreed!
    SteelHelmet likes this.
    08-02-13 11:04 AM
    So if I hear what you are saying correctly, although I am on 10.2.810, I "ain't seen nothin yet"??
    This is just my opinion, I don't speak for the group.

Had 10.2 been the installed OS at launch...only Farouk would find something to question. After the Gold release hits the wild, and we get a complete beta for the Z - we've NOT been running a Zed specific OS, hence the watermarked pin - your device will feel telepathic.
    pili4 and Pdinos3 like this.
    08-02-13 11:10 AM
    I might be wrong, but you make it sound like you are expecting iOS app player, Lumia-like imaging soft and Beats Audio on 10.2...remember, not even the people from Mountain View made it from clair and Froyo to Jelly Bean in a year. It takes time to make a OS evolve into something better. I think Waterloo is doing a nice job with BB10.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-02-13 11:10 AM
    Sigh. I didn't really want to get into this discussion, but I'll offer a parallel of sorts. Consider this:

Vista = 6.0
    7 = 6.1
    8 = 6.2

"Incremental updates" can be quite significant.
    Mecca EL, pili4 and SteelHelmet like this.
    08-02-13 11:15 AM
    I also have realistic expectations for my device. "Telepathic" might be a stretch (sorry mecca ). But from what I've seen, I really like the changes that have been implemented and I'm definitely looking forward to future builds. There are issues in current builds that might seem basic from a user perspective but, as so many have pointed out, software - especially an OS - develops over time.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-02-13 11:19 AM
    Sigh. I didn't really want to get into this discussion, but I'll offer a parallel of sorts. Consider this:

Vista = 6.0
    7 = 6.1
    8 = 6.2

"Incremental updates" can be quite significant.
    I think it is more like Windows 7, Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, etc.

I don't think the jump from Win 7 to Win8 was incremental.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 11:19 AM
82 1234