05-28-13 05:37 PM
39 12
tools
    Are leaked OSes legal?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 02:34 AM
    Are leaked OSes legal?

Posted via CB10
    Technically, no. But beyond sending DMCA complaints to file hosters hosting the file there is very little BlackBerry can do on the matter. Unless you're an employee who's been caught leaking them, then they terminate employment and opt to charge you. There is MASSIVE no leaking policy BlackBerry has you sign before they even consider hiring you. Realistically, it's up to BlackBerry to 'plug their leaks'.. poo poo happens.
    05-25-13 02:40 AM
    Help me my phone browser is freeze...can't browse anything via browser.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 02:44 AM
    Help me my phone browser is freeze...can't browse anything via browser.

Posted via CB10
    Quit thread jacking. You already have 3 posts with the SAME issue, wait for an answer.
    05-25-13 02:45 AM
    Lol nice one bla1ze, but let's say I install a leak on my Z10 and show it to a BlackBerry employee. Could they call the police and fine me or something

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:01 AM
    Lol nice one bla1ze, but let's say I install a leak on my Z10 and show it to a BlackBerry employee. Could they call the police and fine me or something

Posted via CB10
    Nah.
    05-25-13 04:03 AM
    Yep, expect a knock on your door from interpol.

Posted via CB10
    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    05-25-13 04:05 AM
    Technically, no. But beyond sending DMCA complaints to file hosters hosting the file there is very little BlackBerry can do on the matter. Unless you're an employee who's been caught leaking them, then they terminate employment and opt to charge you. There is MASSIVE no leaking policy BlackBerry has you sign before they even consider hiring you. Realistically, it's up to BlackBerry to 'plug their leaks'.. poo poo happens.
    Sharing those leaked OS isn't legal though and uploaders are taking risks because BB could go after them, just like movie uploaders are taken to court.
    05-25-13 04:17 AM
    Thanks guys, I don't actually install leaks. I was just wondering

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:29 AM
    Sharing those leaked OS isn't legal though and uploaders are taking risks because BB could go after them, just like movie uploaders are taken to court.
    Legally, yes. Realistically, Steve Zipperstein has better things to do and bigger fish to fry in the legal dept. It's like arresting a whole field of pot smokers on Cannabis Day.. it's just not worth the time, money and effort.
    05-25-13 04:33 AM
    From a business point of view, leaks are actually useful to BB. They spread new OS tweaks out to a population of real-world users. Better, these users are EXTREMELY mobile-literate, and tend to be well aware that BB is under no obligation to support them. It doesn't represent an official testing phase, but it gives BB a great opportunity to assess builds.
    daumpda and MobileMadness002 like this.
    05-25-13 04:34 AM
    From a business point of view, leaks are actually useful to BB. They spread new OS tweaks out to a population of real-world users. Better, these users are EXTREMELY mobile-literate, and tend to be well aware that BB is under no obligation to support them. It doesn't represent an official testing phase, but it gives BB a great opportunity to assess builds.
    ^^
    This, too.
    05-25-13 04:37 AM
    One if the best reasons to install is evaluation. Helps the community in the end. Being on the cutting edge makes it fun, too.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 05:45 AM
    Despite how helpful it is, it is still illegal.
    Luckily it would cost Blackberry more to pursue then it is worth
    05-25-13 06:15 AM
    Another issue is that the leaks are being installed on BlackBerry devices for which they are legally licensed. Now if you were trying to use the leaks on a non BlackBerry device, selling, or somehow making money from them, they would have more of reason to come after you.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 11:34 AM
    It is probably illegal to distribute the software, but not to use it. With the BlackBerry hardware comes the license to use the BlackBerry software on it. I doubt the license specifically excludes leaks.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 11:59 AM
    I wonder if anyone has read the license and agreements

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 06:46 PM
    I wonder if anyone has read the license and agreements

Posted via CB10
    Haha, hope it's not as bad as apples....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...-didnt-read-it
    nickdollimount likes this.
    05-25-13 07:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was sitting next to a BB employee on a flight home late last year and the topic of leaks came up; showed him my 9900 with the latest leak installed at the time and laughed.

Posted from my Z10
    05-26-13 07:50 AM
    This is a theoretical issue at best.

If BB had an issue with anyone, it would be whoever was actually leaking the builds.
    05-26-13 07:55 AM
    I was sitting next to a BB employee on a flight home late last year and the topic of leaks came up; showed him my 9900 with the latest leak installed at the time and laughed.

Posted from my Z10
    He laughed cause your still using old software. Their internal systems typically have 4 or 5 if not more, higher builds of the OS than is leaked.
    05-26-13 08:20 AM
    It is my opinion BlackBerry has a hand behind the leaks, and I don't mean an employee doing it on its own but more like an employee being told to leak them in secrecy. Lately the leaks have been too organized in my opinion and I cannot believe they can't do anything about it...

Think about it, I may risk my job once for the community, but every week?

BlackBerry cannot release them officially as they would get in trouble with the carries so this is like an unofficial Beta program. Specially with the reboot problem that has been so difficult for them to pinpoint...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:27 AM
    The leaks are probably coming from the carrier testing people at the carriers rather than form BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    05-26-13 08:48 AM
    It is my opinion BlackBerry has a hand behind the leaks, and I don't mean an employee doing it on its own but more like an employee being told to leak them in secrecy. Lately the leaks have been too organized in my opinion and I cannot believe they can't do anything about it...

Think about it, I may risk my job once for the community, but every week?

BlackBerry cannot release them officially as they would get in trouble with the carries so this is like an unofficial Beta program. Specially with the reboot problem that has been so difficult for them to pinpoint...

Posted via CB10
    I think so too, I'm sure they're trying to see what's good for the next official release

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:44 PM
    Makes sense to me. Other than that it would be one hell of a sneaky employee lol

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:50 PM
39 12