Waiting for findings. For now i just keep calm and love my Z10

Posted via Z10
    07-14-13 02:49 AM
    Updated to this leak Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4543 and so far so good. Restore went smoothly and everything is still there. It is much snappier and I will be purchasing battery guru to keep an eye on my battery.

Posted via CB10
    Me too

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 03:01 AM
    Looks like there may be a WiFi issue with this build.

I've noticed at least 2-3 times now that it disconnects from my 5Ghz (802.11a) WiFi link. (Ironic because that's precisely why I default to 5Ghz here - 2.4Ghz is extremely congested in this area making it extremely hard to maintain a solid connection)

The first time it did this I got it to reconnect by restarting. The last time it did this I tried switching it to my 2.4Ghz (802.11g) link and it connected OK.

But the previous OS I had on this Z10 (Verizon default 10.0.9) NEVER had this problem, ever.
    07-14-13 07:18 AM

I've noticed at least 2-3 times now that it disconnects from my 5Ghz (802.11a) WiFi link. (Ironic because that's precisely why I default to 5Ghz here - 2.4Ghz is extremely congested in this area making it extremely hard to maintain a solid connection)

The first time it did this I got it to reconnect by restarting. The last time it did this I tried switching it to my 2.4Ghz (802.11g) link and it connected OK.

But the previous OS I had on this Z10 (Verizon default 10.0.9) NEVER had this problem, ever.
    I've had the same issue a few times..toggling wifi or re selecting the desired network worked. Still my favorite OS so far so while this and the caller id bug me, it is still a keeper.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 08:22 AM
    I've had the same issue a few times..toggling wifi or re selecting the desired network worked.

The first time it happened I tried turning off WiFi temporarily or going into Airplane Mode - didn't help. Had to restart it to get it working again.
    07-14-13 09:11 AM

So I just looked to see what band my phone is connected to on my wifi and it looks like the 2.4GHz g/n frequency over the faster 5 GHz. I don't have my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz separated anymore and I do see better wifi signal on all devices. Do you have the 2.4 and 5 separated into distinct networks? Also you can check a program called inSSIDer and it can help you find the lowest interference channel to put your 2.4 GHz g/n network on to improve the signal.

So as of yet I have not seen an issue with this OS loosing it's connection to the network but that could very well be because the OS prefers the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Since I left 10.0.9 I have had increased issues with wifi. Every OS I have installed until this one had extremely high idle battery drain when connected to my office's wifi but not my home wifi. Though as I write this I don't know which frequency the phone is using at the office so I will have to check that. It may be there I am on 5 GHz and a lot of the leaks have not been working well with that frequency which could cause the higher idle power drain. I will update more on Monday when I am in the office.
    07-14-13 12:34 PM
    I'm in the Denver area as well and have the same bug. I have not come across a fix other than just leaving it a Chihuahua.

Posted via CB10
    Update on the above bug - I tried messing around with my time zone under settings and noticed something interesting. When I initially looked at the time zone it showed as Mountain even though a new meeting on the calendar showed as Chihuahua. I tried changing the time zone in settings to Chihuahua, then creating a new appointment and the appointment time zone is now Arizona (the time zone that is before Chihuahua in the list). I then tried changing my time zone to Arizona and the appointment was created in Saskatchewan -6.

So my best guess of what is happening is that the calendar app is showing the time zone that is set minus 1 in the list but the meeting is really created in Mountain time, i.e. Mountain -7 shows as Chihuahua -7. So if one moves the appointment time zone from Chihuahua to Mountain, in this example, it is really being moved to Mountain +1 in the list which would be Pacific time and would put the meeting an hour later on the calendar.

Hope all of the above made sense. I may try loading the Calendar.bar from a different OS to see if it will fix the bug.

Update - Well I tried loading the new calendar bar files from the Q10/Q5 leak and no luck there. New appointments are still showing Chihuahua as the time zone. Guess I may try the bar files from OS 2354 when I have a chance. As of right now this isn't a huge issue as they get created in the correct time zone on my outlook calendar so it just shows as the wrong time zone in the Z10 calendar. No biggie.
    Last edited by jwarman; 07-14-13 at 03:14 PM.
    07-14-13 12:57 PM
    The first time it happened I tried turning off WiFi temporarily or going into Airplane Mode - didn't help. Had to restart it to get it working again.
    Gotcha.. try viewing available networks and selecting the one of choice. Mine would say it was connected even when it was not, but re selecting worked.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 03:28 PM
    Update on the above bug - I tried messing around with my time zone under settings and noticed something interesting. When I initially looked at the time zone it showed as Mountain even though a new meeting on the calendar showed as Chihuahua. I tried changing the time zone in settings to Chihuahua, then creating a new appointment and the appointment time zone is now Arizona (the time zone that is before Chihuahua in the list). I then tried changing my time zone to Arizona and the appointment was created in Saskatchewan -6.

So my best guess of what is happening is that the calendar app is showing the time zone that is set minus 1 in the list but the meeting is really created in Mountain time, i.e. Mountain -7 shows as Chihuahua -7. So if one moves the appointment time zone from Chihuahua to Mountain, in this example, it is really being moved to Mountain +1 in the list which would be Pacific time and would put the meeting an hour later on the calendar.

Hope all of the above made sense. I may try loading the Calendar.bar from a different OS to see if it will fix the bug.

Update - Well I tried loading the new calendar bar files from the Q10/Q5 leak and no luck there. New appointments are still showing Chihuahua as the time zone. Guess I may try the bar files from OS 2354 when I have a chance. As of right now this isn't a huge issue as they get created in the correct time zone on my outlook calendar so it just shows as the wrong time zone in the Z10 calendar. No biggie.
    I'm thinking the issues lie within sys.data.zoneinfo
    jwarman likes this.
    07-14-13 03:44 PM
    I'm thinking the issues lie within sys.data.zoneinfo
    I will look to see if the versions have changed on the file from 4543 to 4561 and try loading the newer one if possible. But it would make sense that it could be passing an incorrect variable label to the Calendar app.

Update - Looks like the sys.data.zoneinfo has the same version number so it will cause the same issue. When I have a little more time I will compare 2354's version for this file because I do not remember having this bug when I was on that OS version.

Thank you for the suggestion wu-wei.
    07-14-13 04:32 PM
    After 3 long days I can say this leak has amazing battery life!!!

Posted via CB10 on Z10_10.1.0.4543
    07-14-13 05:03 PM
    I will look to see if the versions have changed on the file from 4543 to 4561 and try loading the newer one if possible. But it would make sense that it could be passing an incorrect variable label to the Calendar app.

Update - Looks like the sys.data.zoneinfo has the same version number so it will cause the same issue. When I have a little more time I will compare 2354's version for this file because I do not remember having this bug when I was on that OS version.

Thank you for the suggestion wu-wei.
    Sure thing. Zoneinfo is just part of it. When everyone was twisted up about boot time showing in options > about, I noticed that the OS was referring to different zones. I've seen that data point tell me my last reboot was six hours in the future. LOL. I'm on my 483/340 build now, and boot time is being reported in GMT. But at least it's accurate.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 05:03 PM
    Do you have the 2.4 and 5 separated into distinct networks? Also you can check a program called inSSIDer and it can help you find the lowest interference channel to put your 2.4 GHz g/n network on to improve the signal.

They are separate SSIDs. Thanks for the suggestion re finding an uncongested channel but networking is my profession so I have a pretty good handle on that.

Since I left 10.0.9 I have had increased issues with wifi. Every OS I have installed until this one had extremely high idle battery drain when connected to my office's wifi but not my home wifi. Though as I write this I don't know which frequency the phone is using at the office so I will have to check that. It may be there I am on 5 GHz and a lot of the leaks have not been working well with that frequency...

Is that last part a statement or speculation? Because if the former it confirms my observation, not to mention your comment about WiFi issues with leaks in general.

One thing I'm curious about is how the device handles local RF distinctions. With various 802.11 wireless standards, a number of channels defined in the standard are region-specific -- you cant use them in certain locales for regulatory reasons. (Either the frequencies are in use or they are too close to other in-use frequencies.)

It's possible the radio file/code determines how it uses those reserved frequencies, but I'd think the smart way to handle it is include support for all frequencies in the radio code, and then just enable/disable them depending on which SIM is inserted. (One downside to that is not adapting if the user roams to a different regulatory region without changing the SIM. Add GPS or tower-based location guessing?)
    07-14-13 05:14 PM
    Gotcha.. try viewing available networks and selecting the one of choice. Mine would say it was connected even when it was not, but re selecting worked.

When it's happening, the 5Ghz network is not visible in the network/SSID list at all. Happened just before I made these latest posts. Warm restart fixed it.
    07-14-13 05:16 PM
    Re: the calendar time differential issues - since this seems to be limited to a one-hour error, the first thing I would guess is a DST issue of some sort. I haven't been paying attention to which direction the offset is in.
    07-14-13 05:23 PM
    They are separate SSIDs. Thanks for the suggestion re finding an uncongested channel but networking is my profession so I have a pretty good handle on that.
    Good to know, if I ever have any networking questions I will be sure to shoot them your way.

Is that last part a statement or speculation? Because if the former it confirms my observation, not to mention your comment about WiFi issues with leaks in general.

One thing I'm curious about is how the device handles local RF distinctions. With various 802.11 wireless standards, a number of channels defined in the standard are region-specific -- you cant use them in certain locales for regulatory reasons. (Either the frequencies are in use or they are too close to other in-use frequencies.)

It's possible the radio file/code determines how it uses those reserved frequencies, but I'd think the smart way to handle it is include support for all frequencies in the radio code, and then just enable/disable them depending on which SIM is inserted. (One downside to that is not adapting if the user roams to a different regulatory region without changing the SIM. Add GPS or tower-based location guessing?)
    Well I would say it is a little bit of both, being an engineer I can't say it is fact, I have not been keeping exact tracking of the wifi performance at my office. It is more just what I can remember. I do know for a fact that since I moved on to the 10.1 leaks I have not been able to use my office wifi due to very high idle drain while connected, between 0.3 and 0.6 W. On 4543 I see an idle power drain around 0.1W which gives better battery life than if I am just on cellular. I will check tomorrow what frequency I am connecting to so I can hopefully grab a data point since both my IT guy nor I can figure out why my phone uses more power on the office wifi than my home wifi.

I think they changed something in the 10.1 radio code with respect to wifi but of course I have no idea what and I couldn't even speculate. I do know every 10.1 radio I have tried gives different results and I had tried most of them below 2355 with the 23354 OS.
    07-14-13 06:15 PM
    Re: the calendar time differential issues - since this seems to be limited to a one-hour error, the first thing I would guess is a DST issue of some sort. I haven't been paying attention to which direction the offset is in.
    That is a good idea, so I checked what time it was in Chihuahua and it is the same time as Denver also they use Daylight Savings as well.

The offset I have had is if I make an appointment and change the time zone from Chihuahua to Mountain it moves the appointment forward one hour like I have chosen Pacific Time. So that is what is leading me to believe that when the time zone setting in the system is communicated to the Calendar App the GMT offset is passed correctly but the label of that offset is passed as if you were moving minus one in a data array that held the names.
    07-14-13 06:20 PM
    I do know for a fact that since I moved on to the 10.1 leaks I have not been able to use my office wifi due to very high idle drain while connected, between 0.3 and 0.6 W. On 4543 I see an idle power drain around 0.1W which gives better battery life than if I am just on cellular.

My idle drain on this leak has been at least decent from the start - something I can hardly claim for the "active" drain. (Which thankfully finally calmed down about 3 days after the install)

But the idle power drain may have a bearing on my 5Ghz issue too. This release may have a power management bug that is killing off the 5Ghz radio unexpectedly - ie when the device goes into sleep - and then not "waking up" properly later.

..both my IT guy nor I can figure out why my phone uses more power on the office wifi than my home wifi.

There are plenty of potential explanations for that.
    07-14-13 06:51 PM
    Interesting observation just now... battery (as per battery guru and battery icon) was at approx 35% after a full day of use. Did a restart, and it's now showing at 85%. Never seen that before. Odd.
    07-14-13 07:51 PM
    Had to downgrade from this leak a week ago because of the poor radio reception and the inability to make a call at times. Even though wifi calling worked (T-Mo Customer) there was a noticeable decline in the voice quality, as well as a higher incidence of dropped calls when connected to wifi calling. Does anyone know if the OS will work with lower radio file, i.e. 2076 or 1881 file? If so, I'm willing to give the OS another go. Thanks in advance
    Hi, how did you downgrade? Through link?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 08:07 PM
    Gonna downgrade back to .4537. Something just not right with my install.
    07-14-13 08:21 PM
    Posted this in the tips n tricks thread but thought to include it here since I discovered it on this build (haven't seen anyone else mention it):

For multiple lines in a text message engage caps lock (hold the shift key for a second or so until the blue bar appears below the arrow) then tap send: it will insert a carriage return. Tap caps lock again to return to normal capitalization (including proper capitalization on the new line).

Found this by accident using 4543 so I don't know how far back this goes in the builds. I don't use BBM but I would assume it works there

Z10...dont have a Q yet to try
    Omnitech likes this.
    07-14-13 08:21 PM
    Totally off-topic, but foppa I never knew you were in Denver too. I used to see you all the time in the other forums when we were both developing themes for the legacy OS.
    Small world.

I miss the theme'ing days. Especially when someone like me with zero coding talent could knock out semi-creative themes with the help of people like you in this great CB community. Oh well, we'll always have leaks.

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-14-13 09:05 PM
    Hi, how did you downgrade? Through link?
    Here was my downgrade method:
    1. Put phone into airplane mode
    2. Take full backup using BB Link
    3. Run autoloader from downgraded OS (for me: .4537)
    4. Don't log into BBID, perform security wipe after OS install
    5. Use Darcy's tool to downgrade the .bbb backup file from step 2 to be version 10.1.0.4537
    6. Restore backup file from step 2
    7. Re-sideload my sideloaded
    8. Enjoy downgraded OS
    07-14-13 09:12 PM
    So I just looked to see what band my phone is connected to on my wifi and it looks like the 2.4GHz g/n frequency over the faster 5 GHz. I don't have my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz separated anymore and I do see better wifi signal on all devices. Do you have the 2.4 and 5 separated into distinct networks? Also you can check a program called inSSIDer and it can help you find the lowest interference channel to put your 2.4 GHz g/n network on to improve the signal.
    The frequency that the phone is transmitting over has little to do with your issues, more the protocol being used over the frequency happens to be the issue with some of these builds. You cannot combine your 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but inSSIDer won't assist much with this issue, as again interference has nothing to do with the installed cfgs. Just stick to Wireless-G if you're having issues, it doesn't matter what channel or frequency you're using that's a bunch of hoopla for anyone to sift through for this...
    07-14-13 09:19 PM
1,668 ... 6364656667