06-06-14 12:14 AM
81 1234
tools
    And by the way, the intelligent assistant is not working on the current 10.3 leak.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Thanks for the screenshots.!
    I guess it might be working better on 442SDK with 296 bars...

It would be really cool if it works well with 80-90 percent accuracy.... I find SayIt to be fairly accurate and fun to use!

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    05-24-14 04:42 AM
    Rofl
    05-24-14 05:09 AM
    Can't wait for it to work.

Posted via CB10
    wizkid313 likes this.
    05-24-14 07:11 AM
    Jane sure seems important.
    Lol "set meeting with Jane and john"

Maybe Jane is the business partner's wife and users mistress X,'D

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 08:38 AM
    Voice control didn't work for me on 10.2.1 and also intelligent assistant on 10.3 doesn't work. I'll be sharing your enthusiasm once it is working properly.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    05-24-14 08:46 AM
    The reason I have high expectations for the BlackBerry Intelligent Assistant is because QNX needs it to work flawlessly in cars. They're most likely using the same development.
    wincyUt likes this.
    05-24-14 09:16 AM
    Way to go OP, you've just completely oversold a feature that doesn't work yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 09:17 AM
    Uhhhhh- it's a leak!

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    05-24-14 09:21 AM
    An inelegant assistant is no more than a toy just like Siri. The only time it would be helpful is while driving and you should have your eyes and mind on the road.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    05-24-14 09:30 AM
    This seems no different than Microsoft Cortana. It may be somewhat of an improvement to Siri, and possibly some elements of Google Now. Knowing how bad voice control and related features are currently as well as historically, this will probably fall flat on its face as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 10:19 AM
    Two things should be obvious: 1) Blackberry is a little late to this party; 2) The differentiating features will not be what commands are enabled. How hard can it be to enable voice recognition to toggle whatever settings or OS features you want?

The differentiation will come from the quality of the recognition and the usefulness of the response. I would bet on the big players on that since it largely depends on how wide an deep of a net you can cast for content and the resources you have to format the mobile and verbal response. I'm sure experience also matters in that you need to collect millions of verbal requests to see what users are asking for.

Changing settings is not impressive. What does it say when you ask "Is Abe Vigoda alive?"... Siri says - "Hmm... I believe Abe Vigoda is still alive". However, when you ask it "When does the next episode of Game of Thrones air?", it returns a generic web search.

I would expect Google to take the lead on this since they have the most experience and are the most invested in search. I would expect Apple to be not too far behind as Siri is a marquee feature of iPhones, iPads, CarPlay and probably some kind of smart watch. Microsoft doesn't have as much market share but they have the resources to stay in this race.

Blackberry? The problem is that you need to be pretty big in order to devote the resources it takes to respond meaningfully to whatever any given person might asks a computer. This is actually going to be a major weakness for niche players in mobile. You can't partner with anyone to get this done because all the big players are already in the game.
    loyalIND likes this.
    05-24-14 10:21 AM
    Two things should be obvious: 1) Blackberry is a little late to this party; 2) The differentiating features will not be what commands are enabled. How hard can it be to enable voice recognition to toggle whatever settings or OS features you want?

The differentiation will come from the quality of the recognition and the usefulness of the response. I would bet on the big players on that since it largely depends on how wide an deep of a net you can cast for content and the resources you have to format the mobile and verbal response. I'm sure experience also matters in that you need to collect millions of verbal requests to see what users are asking for.

Changing settings is not impressive. What does it say when you ask "Is Abe Vigoda alive?"... Siri says - "Hmm... I believe Abe Vigoda is still alive". However, when you ask it "When does the next episode of Game of Thrones air?", it returns a generic web search.

I would expect Google to take the lead on this since they have the most experience and are the most invested in search. I would expect Apple to be not too far behind as Siri is a marquee feature of iPhones, iPads, CarPlay and probably some kind of smart watch. Microsoft doesn't have as much market share but they have the resources to stay in this race. Blackberry?
    Exactly. Being an individual with an accent, Google Now has worked fantastic for me. All other solutions have failed. Full disclaimer, I never had the chance to use Cortana.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 10:23 AM
    This thread must be a joke. Google Now, Cortana, and Siri are lightyears ahead (not to mention that they actually work and aren't just a proof of concept in a leak...)

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:10 AM
    Way to go OP, you've just completely oversold a feature that doesn't work yet.

Posted via CB10
    It's a leak genius

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:16 AM
    This thread must be a joke. Google Now, Cortana, and Siri are lightyears ahead (not to mention that they actually work and aren't just a proof of concept in a leak...)

Posted via CB10
    You sound sorry to say very idiotic. Cortana is just developing. It's not "light" years ahead. It being a leak means it's coming and they intend on making those features work. The ground work is there already which is the majority of the work. To say it's a "concept " ignored the fact that they've already had an intelligent assistant (albeit less feature rich). Concepts are just ideas but once you start working on it, it's not just a concept anymore.. it's a project.

Siri is great and all but Siri users in here have already exposed limitations in which this one is trying to cover as well. Whether it will be as good as Google now is up for debate and imo not plausible for a while as Google has a huge headstart and experience in that aspect... but to call the thread a joke for bringing up valid features and then posting assuming statements is itself a joke

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 11:20 AM
    I want to be able to drive down the road and say "Blackberry, how do I get to <insert address>"

And have it say "Getting route."

I really wish Blackberry could sign Paul Bettany (voice of Jarvis) to do the voice of the IA. They could probably get Marvel to license them the name "Jarvis" for it too, LOL...

"Jarvis remind me not to do that again." "It would be my pleasure, sir."
    05-24-14 11:23 AM
    It is about damn time.

I thought this would have been top priority when z10 was released. Along with integration in car entertainment systems (QNX and all). I honestly thought (I'm so naive) the release would also include the new PlayBook with full os10 and linked to phone and car.

Good to hear they are going forward with this!

Jason

STL100-4 /10.2.1.2174
    05-24-14 11:30 AM
    It's amazing to see the naysayers show up to every positive story or opinion from a BB user. Siri, Google Now and the rest are very good features/products and to date the blackberry version is less than one would desire. But if you look at the most important I/O our devices have right now: the keyboard!. Apple and Android had versions that work and worked first.........Care to compare them to BBRY now? Software is about iterations and creative choices. I'm interested to see where they take it, both as a BBRY user and as a heavy heavy user of mobile devices.

We know that BB has a less than stellar track record when it comes to releasing features and products , and I can see how that creates the doubt . I just think we should see how it plays out vs already declaring it DOA.
    05-24-14 11:49 AM
    This seems no different than Microsoft Cortana. It may be somewhat of an improvement to Siri, and possibly some elements of Google Now. Knowing how bad voice control and related features are currently as well as historically, this will probably fall flat on its face as well.

Posted via CB10
    It is different from Cortana. We have the latest 8.1 build on my daughter's Lumia and it cannot read the latest email or text, much less from "Jane", or about the quarterly budget. This is going to rock.

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 05-24-14 at 02:20 PM.
    spikesolie and coloibarra like this.
    05-24-14 12:12 PM
    Siri can't make the phone silent. It takes you to a screen that allows you to do it by hand. Most of the things Siri does is like this. She is great for Web searches and info but not with controlling the device. It usually requires you confirming things or asks you a multitude of additional questions to complete a task.

Z30 Verizon!
    Yes it can... since iOS 7.... you just say: "Turn on Do not disturb" and it does it, you don't have to touch the display...
    BTW, is nice to have an IA in your phone, I use Siri quite often, setting up alarms or reminders is a lot easier with it.
    05-24-14 01:15 PM
    Thanks for sharing OP, for those of us without the leak.

I don't know much about this, but isn't ownership of QNX and the fact it is already in so many vehicle models and other machines an advantage for BlackBerry?
    05-24-14 01:16 PM
    Cortana is by all impressions (also check android central) and from my usage of it, better than Siri. Both are better than this
    05-24-14 02:05 PM
    A vaguely comedic answer to playful yet idle interrogation is not impressive to me, though I'm sure it works well on the iPhone demographic.

Besides, everyone knows that Abe Vigoda died in 1982. And 1987. And he's still alive.

Richard
    05-24-14 02:13 PM
    Two things should be obvious: 1) Blackberry is a little late to this party

Blackberry? The problem is that you need to be pretty big in order to devote the resources it takes to respond meaningfully to whatever any given person might asks a computer. This is actually going to be a major weakness for niche players in mobile. You can't partner with anyone to get this done because all the big players are already in the game.
    Apple sure hurt being late to the smartphone party... Google sure hurt being late to search and smartphone parties... FaceBook sure hurt being late to the social networking party... Whatsapp sure hurt being late to the instant messaging party...

All these companies didn't have to partner with the industry leads at the time to gain a foothold and surpass.
    wincyUt and marcosis like this.
    05-24-14 02:28 PM
    I want to be able to drive down the road and say "Blackberry, how do I get to <insert address>"

And have it say "Getting route."

I really wish Blackberry could sign Paul Bettany (voice of Jarvis) to do the voice of the IA. They could probably get Marvel to license them the name "Jarvis" for it too, LOL...

"Jarvis remind me not to do that again." "It would be my pleasure, sir."
    That jarvis idea is not bad!

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    coloibarra likes this.
    05-24-14 02:44 PM
81 1234