11-02-14 09:25 PM
75 123
tools
    As for the debate over which format is better, there is a lot of information out there. In some ways it reads like a debate about how best to charge a battery. (I left that statement vague intentionally).

However, considering that manufacturers are starting to ship larger cards pre-formatted as exFAT, and considering that BlackBerry supposedly supports it but some of their drivers are problematic, I think this file is useful for those who want to be able to access their data.
    10-27-14 09:19 PM
    Thanks Wu-Wei. Worked like a charm! Now I can access my storage card on Win7 using this OS.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.938 CB10
    wu-wei likes this.
    10-27-14 10:12 PM
    Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:19 AM
    Here is a newer exFAT driver that is working far better than earlier versions. I have confirmed it does not throw "invalid handle" errors when accessing an exFAT SD card via PC.

Note:

You will have to side load this.

Looks like this will only work on 10.3.1.x. It interferes with device access of card on earlier OSes.

Enjoy.
    Thanks for providing this. I just loaded it in my new 10.3.1.1016 build and it worked like a champ to give me access to the SD card via Link.

I would think they would roll out a version of this to all 10.2.1 users as they are suffering from the BlackBerry Link issue.

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    wu-wei likes this.
    10-30-14 09:15 PM
    As for the debate over which format is better, there is a lot of information out there. In some ways it reads like a debate about how best to charge a battery. (I left that statement vague intentionally).

However, considering that manufacturers are starting to ship larger cards pre-formatted as exFAT, and considering that BlackBerry supposedly supports it but some of their drivers are problematic, I think this file is useful for those who want to be able to access their data.
    Another fact worth considering in the FAT32 over exFAT debate is efficiency. FAT32 will be forced to use much larger sector sizes, meaning that even if a file is tiny it will still consume the minimum sector size effectively wasting the unused portion. You will also lose a lot more space to indexes and other file allocation table data with FAT32 over exFAT. My 64GB card yields 58GB of actual storage with exFAT, however this was much less with FAT32 when I was experimenting with it when I first upgraded my card. I can't remember the exact amount but I lost to the order of 10GB of space with FAT32.

exFAT is definitely the way I would recommend with larger cards in excess of 16GB.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS and wu-wei like this.
    10-31-14 05:04 AM
    It appears we may no longer need this version of the exFAT driver on new 10.3.1 OS installs. In trying to resolve a different issue with my OS, I just wiped and ran an autoloader again only to find that upon initial startup, the OS downloaded an even newer exFat driver v10.3.1.225.
    Last edited by tryfe; 11-01-14 at 12:09 AM.
    wu-wei and HotFix like this.
    10-31-14 11:55 PM
    Still can't access the exfat memory card over WiFi.

When is this going to happen?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:41 AM
    It appears we may no longer need this version of the exFAT driver on new 10.3.1 OS installs. In trying to resolve a different issue with my OS, I just wiped and ran an autoloader again only to find that upon initial startup, the OS downloaded an even newer exFat driver v10.3.1.225.
    Sweet! Thanks for the update.

I'm still trying to figure out why BlackBerry has chosen the OTA method of delivering this driver. One possible theory is a per-user license fee to Microsoft, but that's just a guess. Maybe cheaper to only supply to those who use it and not in every single OS. Just a wonderment of mine.
    11-01-14 12:52 AM
    Another fact worth considering in the FAT32 over exFAT debate is efficiency. FAT32 will be forced to use much larger sector sizes, meaning that even if a file is tiny it will still consume the minimum sector size effectively wasting the unused portion. You will also lose a lot more space to indexes and other file allocation table data with FAT32 over exFAT. My 64GB card yields 58GB of actual storage with exFAT, however this was much less with FAT32 when I was experimenting with it when I first upgraded my card. I can't remember the exact amount but I lost to the order of 10GB of space with FAT32.

exFAT is definitely the way I would recommend with larger cards in excess of 16GB.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent points Russ. There are several articles out there comparing exFAT and several other formats and their benefits/disadvantages for each different medium. From what I've read and learned, I'm sticking with exFAT for a while. Slack space (the unused portion of each sector) has always plagued all of the FAT formats, but exFAT seems to address that issue much better.
    11-01-14 12:55 AM
    That at least explains what auto-updated yesterday on my phone. :-)

I wonder if it updated for everyone or just those that had the .224 version Wu-wei shared with us.
    11-01-14 07:05 AM
    How u do that??? Still my Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:41 AM
    How u do that??? Still my Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    How do you do what?

It helps if you quote the post you are responding to. :-)

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    11-01-14 08:00 AM
    I upgraded to OS 10.3.1.1016 as the OP indicated was necessary and then sideloaded the exfat driver he provided in this thread. In addition I had read in another thread that it was better to delete the old version of BB Link and install the new version provided with Blend on the BB site. I downloaded it and only selected to install BB Link and the drivers as instructed.
    Now I don't get the invalid handle error message but I am now having the following problem with the 64 gb card and the 32 gb card that I originally was using(was working ok): Both cards are mapped to drives z and Y. The card is read but after a minute the card will disconnect and I get the following message:
    Windows cannot access \\169.254.141.133.media. Happens with both cards. Any thoughts on what could now be the problem. I am sick that my original card is now giving me problems.
    11-02-14 05:29 PM
    I upgraded to OS 10.3.1.1016 as the OP indicated was necessary and then sideloaded the exfat driver he provided in this thread. In addition I had read in another thread that it was better to delete the old version of BB Link and install the new version provided with Blend on the BB site. I downloaded it and only selected to install BB Link and the drivers as instructed.
    Now I don't get the invalid handle error message but I am now having the following problem with the 64 gb card and the 32 gb card that I originally was using(was working ok): Both cards are mapped to drives z and Y. The card is read but after a minute the card will disconnect and I get the following message:
    Windows cannot access \\169.254.141.133.media. Happens with both cards. Any thoughts on what could now be the problem. I am sick that my original card is now giving me problems.
    Most users are receiving a 33 KB software update which is actually a newer version of the exFAT driver. This thread will be obsolete as a result.

As for the issues you're seeing, I'm confused by the use of an IP address in the error. This is all happening via USB, or WiFi? If WiFi, you may need to update the share path. If USB, I'm stumped.
    11-02-14 05:56 PM
    it is via USB and I am stumped also. Thanks for all your help and info. I think I've already gotten the 33 kb update yesterday. Once again thanks
    11-02-14 06:50 PM
    it is via USB and I am stumped also. Thanks for all your help and info. I think I've already gotten the 33 kb update yesterday. Once again thanks
    That is really strange to see Windows throwing an error with an IP address like that for a USB connection. And I'm guessing you're not constantly in development mode either. My curiosity is piqued a bit. Have you changed any settings in storage and access on device?
    11-02-14 07:57 PM
    No settings changed in storage and access. Current settings are as follows:
    USB mass storage Mode is off
    Charge only mode is off
    Manual IP address is off
    Access using Wi-Fi is off(I am connecting to my home network on my tablet wirelessly. Not sure if this should be on)

Development Mode is off
    debug token not installed
    11-02-14 08:29 PM
    I've been having an issue where if I connect my device to my laptop (MacBook Pro) via USB and add files to my SD card, the memory card isn't able to be viewed on file manager on the device and the music player and pictures apps don't show the media from the memory card. Does this help with that problem?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:36 PM
    I'm able to view files on both cards (32gb and 64gb) on the device and for a short period of time on my computer, but, after a minute the card gets disconnected from the laptop. I am not able to connect at all to link. Link indicates I am connected but that it cannot communicate with my device.
    Last edited by cscott44; 11-02-14 at 08:49 PM. Reason: left out info
    11-02-14 08:47 PM
    I've been having an issue where if I connect my device to my laptop (MacBook Pro) via USB and add files to my SD card, the memory card isn't able to be viewed on file manager on the device and the music player and pictures apps don't show the media from the memory card. Does this help with that problem?

Posted via CB10
    That is typical when using USB Mass Storage Mode. I've found leaving that setting Off keeps the card available on both device and PC.
    11-02-14 08:49 PM
    No settings changed in storage and access. Current settings are as follows:
    USB mass storage Mode is off
    Charge only mode is off
    Manual IP address is off
    Access using Wi-Fi is off(I am connecting to my home network on my tablet wirelessly. Not sure if this should be on)

Development Mode is off
    debug token not installed
    Yup, all default settings. I will read back after I post this, but I think you mentioned installing a newer version of Link. I'm running 1.2.3.48 and I'm also going to look at how the device folders are mapped on my PC.
    11-02-14 08:55 PM
    That is typical when using USB Mass Storage Mode. I've found leaving that setting Off keeps the card available on both device and PC.
    OK I'll try that. And also when I put my SD card in the adapter and put it in my laptop's card reader to add the files, it would give me the same problem when I put it back in the device. It seems the MacBook is adding additional files to make the memory card unreadable. When I set it to view hidden files and folders, I notice a sys_crypt_file and a few others. Maybe that's the issue.

However I noticed everything works fine when I transfer the files via WiFi but it's slower transferring but works.

Thanks man!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:56 PM
    This is interesting and I've been noticing it with Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1016. If ANY Link processes are running on PC, my device pops up a window when connected via USB telling me there are no BlackBerry drivers installed on PC and giving me four options: Install, Charge Only, Access Card, or Ignore. Obviously it wants to install Blend over Link.

So, hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to get Process Explorer (or Task Manager), killed all Link processes but left good ol' Device Manager running. I get no prompts on device and PC asks for password before mapping drives. All seems fine.

I can't find anything showing an IP mapping for the drives on my PC, so here is one suggestion:

Make sure the RIM Device Manager process is running on PC.
    Close Link and kill any remaining Link processes.
    Connect device via USB, should map drives with Device Manager and not Link.
    Stand around like the rest of us waiting to get white listed for Blend and hoping it will all work as planned at that time as well.
    11-02-14 09:13 PM
    OK I'll try that. And also when I put my SD card in the adapter and put it in my laptop's card reader to add the files, it would give me the same problem when I put it back in the device. It seems the MacBook is adding additional files to make the memory card unreadable. When I set it to view hidden files and folders, I notice a sys_crypt_file and a few others. Maybe that's the issue.

However I noticed everything works fine when I transfer the files via WiFi but it's slower transferring but works.

Thanks man!

Posted via CB10
    I skimmed right past the part where you pointed out you're using a MacBook Pro. I have zero knowledge of iAnything, and so my advice there has the same value: zero. What I suggested may work for you, but I honestly have no way of confirming that. I do hope it helps though.
    11-02-14 09:16 PM
    I skimmed right past the part where you pointed out you're using a MacBook Pro. I have zero knowledge of iAnything, and so my advice there has the same value: zero. What I suggested may work for you, but I honestly have no way of confirming that. I do hope it helps though.
    O ok I see. It won't hurt to try. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:25 PM
75 123