I know android runtime working in a container but you have apps like games asking for email, text message, contacts etc. So can these android apps really check my email, text message or my contacts etc.
    12-30-13 11:49 AM
    When you grant permissions to any app you are placing your trust in that developer.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:52 AM
    I know android runtime working in a container but you have apps like games asking for email, text message, contacts etc. So can these android apps really check my email, text message or my contacts etc.
    Yes.

Why are you granting that sort of permission to a game?

What possible legitimate use does a game have with your contact list, email or text messages?
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    12-30-13 12:10 PM
    I don't think you have a choice on permissions with Android apps other then just not installing right?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:27 PM
    Android apps are not like Blackberry Apps. You have no choice with Android.apps and that's why I'm only using 2 android apps

And how is it when a app has malware build in is it also safe in that container of just unsafe.

Maybe Blackberry must build in a extra security for android apps ,like an extra firewall so that you can block contacts , email, sms usage. Tnink that is a good idea
    akavbb likes this.
    12-30-13 12:32 PM
    I don't think you have a choice on permissions with Android apps other then just not installing right?

Posted via CB10
    Correct.

And note that this is not an accident either; Google accidentally permitted shutting off perms in a somewhat-recent release, but then rescinded that change, saying that it was in fact accidental.

Yeah.

I still think BlackBerry should allow permissions to be shut off, even for Android apps. There's nothing preventing them from doing so.
    12-30-13 03:00 PM
    Not Correct.
    The ability to deny Permissions on Android 4.4 still works.

AppOpsX allows Nexus 5 devices or any other device that supports it , to still have control over Apps Permission.
    Aps Ops lives on in KitKat 4.4

Just Google it and you will see what I'm talking about.
    12-30-13 03:10 PM
    [New App] App Ops Lives On In Android 4.4, Can Now Deny Even More Permissions - Here's How You Can Access It [Update]
    One of many places to read how if you like. Also XDA Developers forum is the place where it all happens if you really want to stay relevant .
    App Ops Android 4.4 KitKat - xda-developers
    12-30-13 03:13 PM
    Android apps are not like Blackberry Apps. You have no choice with Android.apps and that's why I'm only using 2 android apps

And how is it when a app has malware build in is it also safe in that container of just unsafe.

Maybe Blackberry must build in a extra security for android apps ,like an extra firewall so that you can block contacts , email, sms usage. Tnink that is a good idea
    Misinformed , App ops X Gives you Full Con troll over Apps Permission. More so then on any other OS platform including BB.

[New App] App Ops Lives On In Android 4.4, Can Now Deny Even More Permissions - Here's How You Can Access It [Update]
    12-30-13 03:19 PM
    I have noticed differences since putting apks in my phone
    I'm almost regretting it seems like a double edge sword

Posted by BBM#42 via my better half Zed10
    12-30-13 03:24 PM
    Not Correct.
    The ability to deny Permissions on Android 4.4 still works.

AppOpsX allows Nexus 5 devices or any other device that supports it , to still have control over Apps Permission.
    Aps Ops lives on in KitKat 4.4

Just Google it and you will see what I'm talking about.
    Fact: It was a mistake.

Fact: THEY WITHDREW IT.

Oh That's Nice (Google & Android) - MarketTicker Forums

"Yesterday, we published a blog post lauding an extremely important app privacy feature that was added in Android 4.3. That feature allows users to install apps while preventing the app from collecting sensitive data like the user's location or address book.

After we published the post, several people contacted us to say that the feature had actually been removed in Android 4.4.2, which was released earlier this week. Today, we installed that update to our test device, and can confirm that the App Ops privacy feature that we were excited about yesterday is in fact now gone."

And by the way, "App Ops" has a note on their page saying that if you're running the newer Android update it doesn't work -- Google not only removed the visible interface to the feature they blocked the capability to alter the permission flags as well.
    12-30-13 03:38 PM
    I think a solution would be rooting the Android Runtime. Has anyone tried it out? Do you think it would be possible?

Sorry if it's just a confabulation...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:52 PM
    Whath e mention that people which making custom roms copy the controll over apps and rebuild it in newer versions in the future but official the control will be gone. I used always customs roms but there are some customs roms not save to us but still people doing it a friend of mine also stop installing custom roms because he had some strange data usage and android is a totally wild west with malware, virus, unsafe apps.

That's why I change OS and I'm very keen what to install and not.
    12-30-13 05:29 PM
    I hand-built Android for a couple of devices, which is IMHO acceptable. I compiled it, I had source, I can (and did) look.

But.... so-called "openly available" versions? I hope you trust the guy publishing it....

That's very different than running a BlackBerry "leak." To load a BB10 OS file it has to be signed with BlackBerry's key. If it's not, it won't load. If it's modified the signature doesn't verify.

With an unlocked bootloader there is no such safety provision.
    12-30-13 05:59 PM
    Yes.

Why are you granting that sort of permission to a game?

What possible legitimate use does a game have with your contact list, email or text messages?
    Some multiplayer games use contact lists for you to invite someone to play, like Scrabble...some apps let you refuse granting permission after initial loading and still work. Others don't.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 01:45 AM
    Fact: It was a mistake.

Fact: THEY WITHDREW IT.

Oh That's Nice (Google & Android) - MarketTicker Forums

"Yesterday, we published a blog post lauding an extremely important app privacy feature that was added in Android 4.3. That feature allows users to install apps while preventing the app from collecting sensitive data like the user's location or address book.

After we published the post, several people contacted us to say that the feature had actually been removed in Android 4.4.2, which was released earlier this week. Today, we installed that update to our test device, and can confirm that the App Ops privacy feature that we were excited about yesterday is in fact now gone."

And by the way, "App Ops" has a note on their page saying that if you're running the newer Android update it doesn't work -- Google not only removed the visible interface to the feature they blocked the capability to alter the permission flags as well.
    Let me correct the info for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nstaller&hl=en
    I can confirm it does work with 4.3/4.4 KitKat.
    01-02-14 12:49 AM
    Let me correct the info for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nstaller&hl=en
    I can confirm it does work with 4.3/4.4 KitKat.
    He didn't say it didn't work in 4.3 or 4.4.
    He said it was removed in 4.4.2.

Can you confirm it works after 4.4.2?
    If so, then you can refute what he stated.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hi. Yes it works.
    They ( Google )did not remove anything . The App it's self needed to be changed. APP OP X works fine on 4.3/4.4 KITKAT.

If you have not UPGRADED your Phone past 4.4.2 then App Op works .
    01-02-14 12:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Here .
    Read this. Maybe then things will be more clear.

Xposed Module Brings Back App Ops on Android 4.4.2 to Give Your Control of Your Application Permissions – xda-developers
    01-02-14 12:02 PM
    But you have to root your mobile, don't you?

EDIT: I mean, if you have Android 4.4.2

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:40 PM