08-21-17 12:13 PM
325 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Now I am wondering if someone could make "PassWord Keeper" permanent into Z10.....
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-14-13 11:02 PM
    Now I am wondering if someone could make "PassWord Keeper" permanent into Z10.....
    Cant make apps permanent. Require sys permission.
    07-15-13 06:02 AM
    well that's too bad
    07-15-13 08:20 AM
    Like mentioned, will need to install the bar using the extension then the app flag is changed from permanent to uninstal.

Sent from Z using Tapatalk2 since I already paid for this damn thing twice.
    Thanks for your help on this - It still didn't change from permanent to uninstall on chrome. Is this 10.2 dependent? I am on 10.1.0.4543 at the moment and originally had loaded the extracted games bar file from that build without success. Even tried your 10.2 bar over that one. I may be missing something, but no big deal either way.
    07-15-13 09:22 AM
    Leigh...or even Mecca! Would it be a pain if I had asked for like a list of what is safe to be removed from the OS? I don't wanna flood this thread with questions on what is safe to remove and what isn't lol
    Last edited by sharma0702; 07-15-13 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
    07-15-13 12:19 PM
    Leigh...or even Mecca! Would it be a pain if I had asked for like a list of what is safe to be removed from the OS? I don't wanna flood this thread with questions on what is safe to remove and what isn't lol
    Any unnecessary language files, retaildemoshim, Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Foursquare and Games are safe to remove. Maybe more.
    Mecca EL and deezy87 like this.
    07-15-13 02:17 PM
    I'll see if I can kill Story Maker.

Edit: Yes! Hahaha! Load sys.mmagic.bar, it lets you get rid of that waste of megabytes.
    07-15-13 03:26 PM
    I posted my list earlier in the thread, post 17 I think.
    Mecca EL and deezy87 like this.
    07-15-13 04:04 PM
    I'll see if I can kill Story Maker.

Edit: Yes! Hahaha! Load sys.mmagic.bar, it lets you get rid of that waste of megabytes.

where to find this one?
    07-15-13 10:13 PM
    I would post one for ya, but it would change from install to install if you want anything more than the basics mentioned...
    deezy87 likes this.
    07-15-13 10:19 PM
    I've figured out how to remove core system files. I've only removed the language files, and a few other carrier related items, but nothing more. It isn't important to shrink out stuff I have no current knowledge of...oh but eventually I will know, yeeees, I will know!!!

Anyway, it's easier to shrink AFTER installation, than to go through all of the hurdles of a preinstall shrink - having to disassemble then reassemble the OS and its contents. What I've done is allow desktop tools - in this case I'm using Sachibar and vnBB10 - the ability to "see" AND access core system files. It's pretty simple, here we go...

WARNING...IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR PHONE.

In the images, to the left of my desktop image, you can see Sachibar and vnBB10 active together - no weird happenings here. To the right of those are the list of extracted bar files, from OS10.2.0.483, for references

With my phone connected to USB, and in Development Mode, I start Sachibar and select the tab to show me the list of installed system files. As you can see, my phone is littered with language files I do not currently use. I scroll thru this list - the Sachibar window should be active, to scroll thru the list - and make note of all of the language files I plan to remove. Once I'm done there, I go to the extracted files folder and select the language files I extracted from the installed OS. I highlight these files, then drag and drop the language file group onto the vnBB10 window. From this point, all you'll see is a blank list of file names and file size numbers.

Next, I install every language file I drug into the vnBB10 program. It's this action that will allow these files to become accessible. NO, there will not be a duplicate file set. With using the exact same language file from the installed OS, duplication will not happen. Now, if you THOUGHT you selected the correct extracted OS folder, and didn't pay attention, yes, you will have duplicates...alot of duplicates. Pay attention!

Once installation is complete, select the "back" tab on vnBB10, and it will take you to the home screen of this program. Select "manage apps" and wait for the installed apps list to populate. You'll then see all of the language files now active and visible. Check the box of all the visible language files, and select "uninstall". Wait until the process is complete.

Close Sachibar and restart the app - Sasha, there should be a "clear list" tab here - and you'll now see all the language files you don't use, removed. Happy happy, joy joy!!
    vnBB10 doesn't seem to install the dragged in language files for me. I can drag the files into vnBB10 and it'll show me the sizes and that's where it stops.

I'm on 10.2.0.483....does that matter?
    07-15-13 10:54 PM
    vnBB10 doesn't seem to install the dragged in language files for me. I can drag the files into vnBB10 and it'll show me the sizes and that's where it stops.

I'm on 10.2.0.483....does that matter?
    Yes, that's all that will show in vnBB10. Probably can't interpret the language file names into a logical one, so it leaves the name blank.
    07-15-13 11:07 PM
    I've compiled a simple list of what "I" have removed per what I found through this thread and through poking around on my own. I am on AT&T STL-100-3 OS: 10.1.0.4633 with the OS fresh on the phone I was at

How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-img_00000002.jpg

then after I removed whats bellow I got to

How to remove INSTALLED core system files, in OS10-img_00000004.jpg

Per: Wu-Wie
    Bing (not always present, depends on carrier)
    com.evernote (same)
    com.foursquare.blackberry
    com.rim.bb.app.newsstand
    com.rim.bb.app.retaildemoshim
    com.twitter
    slacker.radio
    sys.data.imf.xx_XX (for any unused language files. As noted, I keep en_US and root)
    sys.vad (Voice Activated Dialing. I don't use it)

Per: MobileMadness002
    The game bar remover does not work on this OS although it did when I was running the 10.2 hybrid [B@stard_10.2_483-341_Z_2-3-4 (20130708)] that Wu-Wie put up I am assuming it did not work for obvious reasons. But I can confirm it will be removed on 10.2, just as others have confirme.

Per: Me
    sys.data.carrier_data - I removed this but lost data access, go figure, so Its back on there
    sys.data.ecid50.branding - splash AT&T screen
    sys.data.ecid50.branding.opt -Splash AT&T Screen
    sys.oobetutorials - idk but got rid of it
    sys.deviceswitch - device switch (never had to use it so got rid of it)
    sys.data.nuance_vocalizer - relates to the voice control
    sys.data.wallpaper - stock os wallpapers

I will report back if removing these were dependencies for other things and does not allow them to work.

Big ups to Mecca and Wu and all others whom provided what they know with the rest of us.
    Mecca EL, deezy87 and olammity like this.
    07-16-13 11:22 AM
    Is there any affect after removing "sys.data.ecid50.branding - splash AT&T screen" and "sys.data.ecid50.branding.opt -Splash AT&T Screen", like displaying a black screen instead of AT&T start up screen? Thanks!
    07-16-13 01:29 PM
    Is there any affect after removing "sys.data.ecid50.branding - splash AT&T screen" and "sys.data.ecid50.branding.opt -Splash AT&T Screen", like displaying a black screen instead of AT&T start up screen? Thanks!
    It comes back upon reboot.
    bennyph likes this.
    07-16-13 01:34 PM
    It comes back upon reboot.
    I've done a few reboots now and still no AT&T splash on reboot. Once it loads it simply goes straight to my password screen. Although when I attempt to reboot via the power button the splash screen does show up there when it is powering down.
    07-16-13 01:49 PM
    Is there anyway to remove these files?:
    sys.socialconnect.linkedin (if not using Linkedin app)
    sys.socialconnect.twitter (if not using Twitter app)
    sys.help
    sys.printoutstogo
    07-17-13 04:22 PM
    Is there anyway to remove these files?:
    sys.socialconnect.linkedin (if not using Linkedin app)
    sys.socialconnect.twitter (if not using Twitter app)
    sys.help
    sys.printoutstogo
    So far I have not been able too, anything labeled permanent I cant remove.... the irony right hahahaha any ways i also took all these out since it said my device cant run them. I should have taken screens but it slipped my mind

sys.bug_reporter_3
    sys.cfs.webdav.todtm
    sys.bugreport
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-17-13 07:34 PM
    I'm still undecided about what files to remove. SMH. Well, besides language files.

Z10 OS > B@stards .X Hybrids
    07-18-13 07:05 PM
    There's plenty of "crap" in these OSes (my opinion - I was always an extreme OS shrink guy). Sometimes there's a "blackberry" bar, that almost always contains a third-party app. The new Joyn feature is in the sys.rcse bar. I'm sure I've uncovered a few other things that I chose to remove, but since they're gone now...

I will strongly recommend AGAINST removing pbcd. I poked around in that file and found that it was the installer for Link. I figured I had Link already on my PC so I didn't need that bar on my device. Bad choice. Once I removed that bar, I could no longer access my device with Link or with any developer mode tools. And I always got prompts to install Link on my PC. Since I couldn't access the device, I couldn't replace the pbcd bar. I was forced to do a fresh install...and since I couldn't access with Link I was unable to do a backup first. It was not a good day.
    Silly Leigh, you can reinstall PBCD via wifi
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-18-13 07:40 PM
    Silly Leigh, you can reinstall PBCD via wifi
    I can't remember what happened...either it was before PAM had WiFi capability, or before I knew how to use it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-18-13 08:39 PM
    Thank you all for the help to be able to remove some of the overhead.

A couple of questions;

1. sys.pictureeditor - this is massive 31 MB so it would be nice to remove. Are there any known dependencies and what does this do?

2. I've deleted all of the languages but I still see some of them in the language options menu e.g. Greek, Bulgaria etc. Are these files actually on the device or is this just some sort of shell or placeholder in the options menu?
    07-19-13 10:42 PM
    Thank you all for the help to be able to remove some of the overhead.

A couple of questions;

1. sys.pictureeditor - this is massive 31 MB so it would be nice to remove. Are there any known dependencies and what does this do?

2. I've deleted all of the languages but I still see some of them in the language options menu e.g. Greek, Bulgaria etc. Are these files actually on the device or is this just some sort of shell or placeholder in the options menu?
    1. Open an image file in the Camera/Pictures/File Manager apps and click Edit. It will send you to the picture editor, although if you don't use it, I believe it's safe to remove. Keep the .bar file, though.

2. I think they're just placeholders.
    07-19-13 10:45 PM
    Wouldn't it be easier if there's a way to remove unwanted apps directly in the autoloader before upgrading a new OS?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 10:46 PM
    Wouldn't it be easier if there's a way to remove unwanted apps directly in the autoloader before upgrading a new OS?

Posted via CB10
    Not possible, unless you have a signing key straight from BlackBerry.
    BUSPBP likes this.
    07-19-13 10:52 PM
325 ... 34567 ...