Hi,

My Passport originally came from Telus but I have bought an unlock code to unlock it and I am using it on Virgin Mobile at the moment.

Who is still pushing updates Ota to my phone? Virgin or Telus?

Is there a way to get rid of the carrier so Ota comes from BlackBerry as if it was bought on Amazon or BlackBerry ?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:44 AM
    The sim company should be pushing the updates because you are connected to THAT network, i believe.
    Montmartre likes this.
    03-29-15 07:47 AM
    Yeah, the carrier you're connected to via that SIM determines what OS you get.

The stickler is that you still have a carrier branded phone. Unlocking "after-the-fact" doesn't change that. It gives you access to any other carrier you want - and you can get a SIM from whichever one has the newest OS to get that OS. But it does not turn your phone into one that will get an OS straight from BlackBerry the way the actual factory unlocked phones will.

Of course, we're only talking about the true over-the-air updates. You can still update to any OS any other way you wish.
    03-29-15 08:13 AM
    I have (unlocked bought from BBshop) carrier 3DK- Oister (Danmark) and they push 10.2.1 just when i connect (update) via Link i get 10.3.1 ?
    And when i contact BBHelp they say "sorry you run higher then your carrier we cant help you "!

And ex im travel to Canada and use local sim with my Q10 and get update from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 and after 2-3 mnth im back to Danmark with 10.3.1 and not supported from my carrier , What then ?
    I dont understand that !
    03-29-15 08:43 AM
    Yeah, the carrier you're connected to via that SIM determines what OS you get.

The stickler is that you still have a carrier branded phone. Unlocking "after-the-fact" doesn't change that. It gives you access to any other carrier you want - and you can get a SIM from whichever one has the newest OS to get that OS. But it does not turn your phone into one that will get an OS straight from BlackBerry the way the actual factory unlocked phones will.

Of course, we're only talking about the true over-the-air updates. You can still update to any OS any other way you wish.
    Can I use for exemple a non-activated SIM card from Telus to get the latest Telus OTA

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 10:52 AM
    Can I use for exemple a non-activated SIM card from Telus to get the latest Telus OTA

Posted via CB10
    I believe so yes, or you could use a autoloader here or sachesi to load a newer OS

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    03-29-15 10:53 AM
    Lately, I have seen the carrier the phone was originally locked to override the SIM that is installed. For example, Telus devices are getting updates showing up while WIND SIM is installed

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 11:23 AM
    I believe so yes, or you could use a autoloader here or sachesi to load a newer OS

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I am used to Autoloader, Sachesi, etc. But those were just questions, since I must have the *official* latest released by my carrier to be eligible for a warranty because my baterry life is too bad. So I was forced to fully reset via BlackBerry link my phone and it sent me back to 10.3.1.2267. (welcome back screen flickering and Pebble watch dying within 15 hours instead of 7 days)

And it sucks because every loader I have tested suffered from that battery issue but the ''official'' isn't so I won't be able to get a replacement on that side.. I guess I will have to stick this old version forever...

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 12:51 PM
    Yeah, I am used to Autoloader, Sachesi, etc. But those were just questions, since I must have the *official* latest released by my carrier to be eligible for a warranty because my baterry life is too bad. So I was forced to fully reset via BlackBerry link my phone and it sent me back to 10.3.1.2267. (welcome back screen flickering and Pebble watch dying within 15 hours instead of 7 days)

And it sucks because every loader I have tested suffered from that battery issue but the ''official'' isn't so I won't be able to get a replacement on that side.. I guess I will have to stick this old version forever...

Posted via CB10
    Running a non carrier OS does NOT void the warranty

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    03-29-15 01:14 PM
    Running a non carrier OS does NOT void the warranty

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but they make me send logs and the guy on the line told me they will probably tell you to flash an official OS from BlackBerry link.

He said since it is not officially supported by your carrier, maybe it is the modem that kills your battery.

Edit : do you think he is right? If so, can I use an old modem with the latest leak then?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 01:20 PM
    Yeah but they make me send logs and the guy on the line told me they will probably tell you to flash an official OS from BlackBerry link.

He said since it is not officially supported by your carrier, maybe it is the modem that kills your battery.

Posted via CB10
    Tell him he's on glue. Majority of tech support have no clue what they are talking about, they read off a screen

Posted via CB10
    moody and Mr.Conviviality like this.
    03-29-15 01:22 PM
    I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281 and I like it, no major issues for me I'd give that a go

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 01:23 PM
    I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281 and I like it, no major issues for me I'd give that a go

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how battery life is

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 01:53 PM
    I wonder how battery life is

Posted via CB10
    Well instead of 22 hours I get 21.

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    moody likes this.
    03-29-15 01:54 PM
    So say I have an unlocked device on a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry, I guess my choice is autoloading a leak, leak via Sachesi, or nothing?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 04:30 PM
    So say I have an unlocked device on a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry, I guess my choice is autoloading a leak, leak via Sachesi, or nothing?

Posted via CB10
    Right but remember that a leak is the same as an official, but without all the carrier bloat ware

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 05:00 PM
    Right but remember that a leak is the same as an official, but without all the carrier bloat ware

Posted via CB10
    Does the carrier version is different than the official? I mean the modem could me customized

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:37 PM
    Does the carrier version is different than the official? I mean the modem could me customized

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely no difference

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    03-29-15 07:39 PM

Edit : do you think he is right? If so, can I use an old modem with the latest leak then?

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean radio?

If so, generally a radio mismatch is a sign of a botched upgrade, if you aren't deliberately hybridizing.

Posted via CB10
    moody and Pdinos3 like this.
    03-29-15 07:41 PM
    Do you mean radio?

If so, generally a radio mismatch is a sign of a botched upgrade, if you aren't deliberately hybridizing.

Posted via CB10
    Is "hybridizing" a real word or one you made up?
    03-29-15 09:44 PM
    Is "hybridizing" a real word or one you made up?
    Computer says yes.
    moody and Paul86 like this.
    03-29-15 09:47 PM
    Do you mean radio?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah since it should be one version higher than the Core OS. I still can't figure out why my battery is fine on the official BlackBerry Link version and not earlier leaked build. Still use the same exact apps :/

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 11:24 PM