06-09-15 11:08 PM
65 123
tools
    Fellow Crackberrians,

It's time to have a grown up chat about leaks. We all love them and from time to time new software appears which we all enjoy.

However.

We also need to understand that the existence of leaks doesn't give us the right to release information which we have agreed to keep confidential. For those participating in any closed beta programs with BlackBerry, you have both agreed to, and are under the binding conditions of the beta program terms.

Obeying these terms is both a legal requirement and also a matter of respecting your position within the beta program.

May I remind every member of a closed beta program (such as the BlackBerry 10 OS Pre-Release beta).

Any releases of software under this program are confidential. By being a part of the beta you have agreed and are bound to the following conditions:

* You cannot discuss the software or it's availability (that means at all)
    * You cannot show the software or any part of the process (including software update screens)

Failure to comply will result in:

* Immediate removal from the pre-release program
    * Termination of candidacy for future release programs

You also run the risk of having the entire beta program cancelled.

Further, you are legally bound and Unauthorized distribution or disclosure of BlackBerry Confidential Information is prohibited. This means that you not only risk losing your beta program access, but you risk a lawsuit.

Please. Let's respect the beta terms and conditions, let's respect the legal requirements and above all, let's respect BlackBerry in their desire for these programs to be kept confidential.

You're not above the law. You agree to the conditions - so stick to them. No excuses.
    06-09-15 06:29 PM
    Okay mom

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-09-15 06:34 PM
    Ok you have to tell us who spilled the beans.
    06-09-15 06:36 PM
    Wow useful post under BB10 Leaked/Beta OS thread
    06-09-15 06:53 PM
    How to get BANNED from the BETA program-screen-20150610-055713.jpg

Posted via CB10
    m4dm4x likes this.
    06-09-15 07:00 PM
    Wow useful post under BB10 Leaked/Beta OS thread
    Leaked OS from a carrier is completely fine. A beta like this has legal restrictions.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-09-15 07:13 PM
    Leak links should be up before bedtime est.
    Where are all these self-appointed Leak Police sprouting up from? Someone has to be paying some decent money, for this guy to be wasting his breath, because BlackBerry could care less.
    If it wasn't for leaks, OS10 and BB10 would have fizzled out March 2014. Back then, the leak crybabies were well respected community contributors, who actually had the weight to make something happen... and nothing happened, we still have leaks.
    Thanks for the brief lesson in the finer details of an NDA, and all the other babble. In the meantime, I got a wrench in my pocket, and baby, she's ready to ROAR!!!
    06-09-15 07:32 PM
    Where are all these self-appointed Leak Police sprouting up from? Someone has to be paying some decent money, for this guy to be wasting his breath, because BlackBerry could care less.
    If it wasn't for leaks, OS10 and BB10 would have fizzled out March 2014. Back then, the leak crybabies were well respected community contributors, who actually had the weight to make something happen... and nothing happened, we still have leaks.
    Thanks for the brief lesson in the finer details of an NDA, and all the other babble. In the meantime, I got a wrench in my pocket, and baby, she's ready to ROAR!!!
    We had carrier pushed leaks. This is different. Learn the difference.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-09-15 07:35 PM
    Has anyone ever told you that you're just about as good looking as me,
    Blacklatino and moody like this.
    06-09-15 07:35 PM
    I'm part of a closed beta program... I can't disclose any more than that.
    06-09-15 07:37 PM
    Does anyone ever read the small print? Well, I do as I am a Real Estate Broker but anything to do with beta programs or leaks, I never do, I just hit the join and download buttons! Never ever thought about posting any screenshots before but now.....maybe I will

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    Mecca EL and Blacklatino like this.
    06-09-15 07:39 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Not in the early days. We had the treasures. Still have stuff that never saw the light of day, direct from BB themselves.

Hi, I'm Mecca. I'm absolutely irrelevant in the scheme of things, and I'm proud of it!!! LEAK... LEAK... LEAK...!!!
    GPuba and Blacklatino like this.
    06-09-15 07:40 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    No, those ones were smuggled out of a carrier/Waterloo. In fact, those were on a deeper layer of the proverbial onion than a beta program.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 07:40 PM
    Has anyone ever told you that you're just about as good looking as me,
    Only my mom, after she locked me in the closet.
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    06-09-15 07:41 PM
    No, those ones were smuggled out of a carrier/Waterloo. In fact, those were on a deeper layer of the proverbial onion than a beta program.

Posted via CB10

Hold it, there's onions now, no wonder i get so confused,
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-09-15 07:42 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Dave. I like you. But don't diss Mecca.

Leaks are leaks. Where do you think Berryleaks got their leaks from? No they weren't from carriers. Half of the people on cb wouldn't have 10.3.1 if it wasn't for leaks. Heck even 10.2 in some cases.

If something leaks, it leaks. Get over your "holier than thou" attitude and live with it.

I met a BlackBerry employee and asked him about the "leaks" Chen was talking about. He said he was talking about leaking info on new devices. Fact

Now everyone get over themselves and hey as long as it's not you who leaks it, who cares? Relax

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.798
    I'm part of a closed beta program... I can't disclose any more than that.
    Welcome Vinniesworld, and thanks for sharing. How long have you had this addiction ?
    anon(9208252) and Blacklatino like this.
    My leeks are in a beta program? Who would have guessed it...

How to get BANNED from the BETA program-potm_leek.jpg
    06-09-15 07:45 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Hey no one puts Mecca in the corner, get over it,
    Mecca EL and Blacklatino like this.
    06-09-15 07:46 PM
    You da man!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-09-15 07:53 PM
    You make me cry. First of all this s**t happens because BlackBerry ask a trillion users if they want to became beta testers, make us fill in a survey, sign an agreement and then chose like a dozen of morons out of that trillions that doesn't report any serious bugs to ended leaking the OS and carried in a daily basis an iphone. Simply pathetic .

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, tw820 and Blacklatino like this.
    06-09-15 07:53 PM
    I don't dispute for one minute the arguments here that leaks are a violation on the NDA and are technically illegal, or unethical, if nothing else, on the part of members of the beta program who leak these beta releases.

But I suspect that the NDAs and rules of the beta programs have to do only with providing BlackBerry a level of protection for itself against responsibility to consumers or unauthorized users or anyone else making complaints or claims about malfunctioning devices or failures of security while on these leaked beta OS versions. It's a matter of CYA, as in everything else these days. When I submitted my logs on the BT problems and was using a (then) beta 10.3.2.680, they simply said that it was my problem, and they wouldn't spend any more time on it. When the same 680 became official a week later, then they responded.

My guess is that once legally shielded by virtue of these NDAs, BlackBerry is happy (or at least indifferent) about the widespread "beta testing" for free on these OSes. How many of these betas have been responsible for actually bricking a device or for data security breaches? Probably none. How many have been pulled, never to be seen again, or have had problems that couldn't easily be fixed on the next release?

I don't feel guilty in the least about using a leaked OS, regardless of its source. I own the phone, paid over $500 for it, and I can do with it what I want, so long as I don't expect BlackBerry to support me while I'm on the leaked OS.
    06-09-15 07:55 PM
    Notice since Chen said "the leaks have to stop" we have had very little information about new devices, unless BlackBerry has told us. Where is all the slider info??? Chen was referring to hardware, BlackBerry needs us for testing OS's prior to releasing to the masses. So basically...they don't give a rats @ss! OS leaks have been going on out here for a long time and won't be stopping anytime soon.

Now...Withdrawl! You owe Mecca an apology cause you Ugly!
    06-09-15 07:58 PM
    Hey no one puts Mecca in the corner, get over it,
    Wait... Did you just say I'm too sexy for my shirt?
    anon(9208252) and moody like this.
    06-09-15 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the brief lesson in the finer details of an NDA, and all the other babble.
    Mecca, regardless of your personal opinion, the information I posted is accurate. Purposely releasing information from a closed beta is a breach of a legal agreement, and may result in termination of the beta program. It's happened before and you know it.

If BlackBerry "couldn't care less", then why do they increasingly include more direct and obvious confidentiality disclaimers for their beta releases?

Should I also mention the impact on carrier relations? US carriers do not permit untested software on their networks and doing so damages the relationship between BlackBerry and carriers further. The beta programs specifically state this - yet when software is leaked, this can no longer be enforced.

Again - it's about honouring BlackBerry. You can hold whatever personal opinion you want, but publicly flouting and endorsing violations of legally binding agreements is just wrong.
    06-09-15 08:00 PM
65 123