I transfferred by Z10 BBID to my Passport. I performed a backup on hte Z10, installed the latest leak and then went to restore the data. I get the error that there is no BB ID associated with the phone. Yet BB Link backed up the phone with no BB ID associated with it.

Is there away that I can restore the phone from the backup created? I only want to use the phone at home on wifi and do not plan on installing a SIM card.
    10-17-14 07:26 PM
    Technically there was a bbid on your z10, you simply disconnected it. The backup will have references to that previous bbid.
    Amongst other things, this keeps people from buying apps, transferring to a new device, installing the apps there, then re installing again from backup of the original device thereby stealing copies of paid apps.

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    10-17-14 08:06 PM
    I'm thinking you should have had your Z10 backed up before you bought the Passport...
    10-17-14 09:39 PM
    On the 'new' phone did you first do all the setup stuff, run the tutorial, and then sign in on your BBID?

That is the only way you can transfer things from your "old" phone to the new one.
    10-17-14 10:05 PM
    A backup cannot be created unless there was a bbid on the phone. It's part of the backup.

To restore a backup, the destination phone needs to be using the same bbid as the previous phone.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Passport
    10-17-14 10:11 PM
    I'm thinking you should have had your Z10 backed up before you bought the Passport...
    I did.
    10-17-14 10:54 PM
    sign into bb world with your bbid on both phones...over wifi on the one not on network
    10-17-14 11:35 PM
    Add a new bbid to the z10. Then edit the file inside the backup with a text editor (notepad++). There are 2 files that contain the old bbid. Edit to new bbid and try to restore.

I don't remember the 2 files or if this option still exists (been about a year since I looked)

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.632
    10-18-14 08:42 AM
    OK I just got to a PC. Checked a backup file....

First I would make a copy of your backup file and only alter 1 of them. (precautionary)

Rename backup.bbb to backup.zip
    Or associate. Bbb with winzip or winrar...etc
    Open it and you will see a manifest.xml file. Open it with text editor
    Change the 3 "keyid" fields from old bbid to new bbid
    Save and rename back to..bbb
    Restore to z10(that already has the new bbid)

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.632
    10-18-14 09:23 AM
    OK I just got to a PC. Checked a backup file....

First I would make a copy of your backup file and only alter 1 of them. (precautionary)

Rename backup.bbb to backup.zip
    Or associate. Bbb with winzip or winrar...etc
    Open it and you will see a manifest.xml file. Open it with text editor
    Change the 3 "keyid" fields from old bbid to new bbid
    Save and rename back to..bbb
    Restore to z10(that already has the new bbid)

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.632
    Thanks, I'll give this a go. I sure it will work. This is similar to restore to an earlier version of the OS.
    10-18-14 11:22 PM
    There are a lot more than 3 "keyid" fields in the file. Every app that was downloaded or purchased has bbid attached to it.

Not sure if I should change them all or just the first couple.
    10-23-14 10:21 PM
    Just sign back into your bbid on the z10 and don't open BBM, I have a z10 and a z30, both with the same bbid, same apps etc, just no BBM on one phone. You should be fine.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938
    SteelGreek likes this.
    10-24-14 12:43 AM
    I think part of the problem is the re-zipping everything. If I just go into the file in the zip file without unzipping, it will not allow me to save the manifest.xml file

I have my Playbook and the Passport on the same BBID, not sure why I can't have this old phone on it too.

Will continue to play.

Thanks for the pointers.
    10-24-14 09:53 AM
    I have my Playbook and the Passport on the same BBID, not sure why I can't have this old phone on it too.

Will continue to play.

Thanks for the pointers.
    You can have your old phone on the same BlackBerryID . You just can't have BBM active on both phones at the same time. When you want to use the other phone, open BBM and it will prompt to switch the BBM to that phone.

In other words, it will work if you want to switch between phones every now and then or keep the Z10 as a spare, ready to go. It will not work if you want to give your phone to a friend or family member to use and be able to BBM them.
    10-24-14 09:58 AM
    You can have your old phone on the same BlackBerryID . You just can't have BBM active on both phones at the same time. When you want to use the other phone, open BBM and it will prompt to switch the BBM to that phone.

In other words, it will work if you want to switch between phones every now and then or keep the Z10 as a spare, ready to go. It will not work if you want to give your phone to a friend or family member to use and be able to BBM them.
    I believe paid apps will stop downloading and updating after a time as well due to too many decide changes on bbid in appworld.

10-24-14 11:16 AM
    I believe paid apps will stop downloading and updating after a time as well due to too many decide changes on bbid in appworld.

I've never had any issues, I've been running 2 devices since January, and constantly updating os versions on both

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938
    10-24-14 03:56 PM

That may happen if the PINs are changing all the time, but maybe not if it is the same two pin. It may also apply when trying to redownload the apps from BlackBerryWorld, rather than just restoring from a backup.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:47 AM
    I think part of the problem is the re-zipping everything. If I just go into the file in the zip file without unzipping, it will not allow me to save the manifest.xml file

Will continue to play.

Thanks for the pointers.
    You absolutely cannot have 2 PHONES on RUNNING the SAME BBID simultaneously. Shut down one phone completely and start the 2nd...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.938
    10-25-14 01:26 PM
    You absolutely cannot have 2 PHONES on RUNNING the SAME BBID simultaneously. Shut down one phone completely and start the 2nd...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.938
    You sir, are incorrect. The same blackberry id can be on multiple bb10 devices. However, BBM can only be active on one device at any given time.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Passport
    10-25-14 06:21 PM
    Why don't you just use device transfer wizard in BlackBerry Link?

Posted via CB10
    Grzesiek Godlewski likes this.
    10-25-14 07:50 PM
    Why don't you just use device transfer wizard in BlackBerry Link?

Posted via CB10
    Same what i thought

Q10 PLAY PL (EU)
    10-26-14 02:13 AM
    Just login to the same BBID that was on the phone you did the backup on. That's the only way to restore a backup as it's encrypted using the BBID.
    10-26-14 07:48 AM
    Add a new bbid to the z10. Then edit the file inside the backup with a text editor (notepad++). There are 2 files that contain the old bbid. Edit to new bbid and try to restore.

I don't remember the 2 files or if this option still exists (been about a year since I looked)

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.632
    I don't think that works, IIRC the BBID has something to do with the encryption of the backup.
    10-26-14 09:29 AM
    I don't think that works, IIRC the BBID has something to do with the encryption of the backup.
    Agreed, I wouldn't start messing with files, it's much easier to just sign back in.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938
    10-26-14 11:19 AM
    Blackberry has made a tool called device switch. Use it.

Q10 PLAY PL (EU)
    10-26-14 12:52 PM