I know I have seen that in a thread somewhere like a month ago....and off course I don't remember where...

I want to change the bbb extension for me to view the file

someone somewhere know the answer....

please
    07-07-13 08:57 AM
    You are able to open it in winrar Iirc.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:23 AM
    You are able to open it in winrar Iirc.

Posted via CB10

Ok thanks will try later when my pc is done with the reset

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:47 AM
    You won't be able to open any of your device info (apps, media, or settings) when you open the bbb file. Those are all encrypted by your phone and only your phone can decrypt those when you do a restore.

There's very little in the bbb file that can be read.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:37 PM
    I know I have seen that in a thread somewhere like a month ago....and off course I don't remember where...

I want to change the bbb extension for me to view the file

someone somewhere know the answer....

please
    Yeah, I'm not sure what you want to try and do with the contents, but short story is you won't be able to do anything. So if you are trying to get at your contacts or any personal information for that matter, you're not going to be happy with the results of trying to unpack the file like RADEoN suggested...
    07-07-13 12:55 PM
    Ok. Last month someone said that you could change the. bbb to some things else in order to change some of the corrupt file that you could have in your backup before to reloading it with the link.

Or maybe I just dreamed about it???

Ok thanks for the reply

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 02:25 PM
    Ok. Last month someone said that you could change the. bbb to some things else in order to change some of the corrupt file that you could have in your backup before to reloading it with the link.

Or maybe I just dreamed about it???

Ok thanks for the reply

Posted via CB10
    If you have a corrupt section - like something in settings or media you don't like, just do a selective restore of the sections you want. Then selectively restore the corrupt section from a previous backup.

The only thing that's editable is the OS version number. So if you made the backup in a higher version than you are currently running and want to try restoring it you'll get a message "Incompatible device software" or something similar to that. Changing the version number to something lower than what you are running will allow the backup to be restored.
    07-07-13 02:33 PM
    If you have a corrupt section - like something in settings or media you don't like, just do a selective restore of the sections you want. Then selectively restore the corrupt section from a previous backup.

The only thing that's editable is the OS version number. So if you made the backup in a higher version than you are currently running and want to try restoring it you'll get a message "Incompatible device software" or something similar to that. Changing the version number to something lower than what you are running will allow the backup to be restored.
    Ok thanks for the reply. I will not touch it

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 02:57 PM
    Right click, rename to backup.zip instead of backup.bbb and you can open it.

As mentioned above you can also use WinRar or 7Zip to extract it

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:37 PM
    You won't be able to open any of your device info (apps, media, or settings) when you open the bbb file. Those are all encrypted by your phone and only your phone can decrypt those when you do a restore.

There's very little in the bbb file that can be read.

Posted via CB10
    I have seen some sweet things come from you and others here at CB. I think the first person to crack the tarballs contained within the *bbb files will certainly upset RIM, but please a few people. Not that there *would* be a ton of use (as stated before), but really -- you *know* you want to see inside those files. I know I do. :-P
    07-10-13 02:01 PM
    I have seen some sweet things come from you and others here at CB. I think the first person to crack the tarballs contained within the *bbb files will certainly upset RIM, but please a few people. Not that there *would* be a ton of use (as stated before), but really -- you *know* you want to see inside those files. I know I do. :-P
    Of course we all want to see what's in these files, and there would always be a use for it, the big questions is:

Once we find out what's in those files, would it be ethical to release the information needed to decrypt them? I'd have to see what good or harm could come of releasing that information. So even if I do ever figure it out, it may not be something that I'd ever share.

I have a good idea of where the encryption key is stored, but I have no way to retrieve that key because it's locked up on the device. And that key is based on your BlackBerry ID so it's unique to each person. xsacha may be the only one who has figured it out. He is years ahead of me in knowledge. I just started tinkering around not too long ago, and he's been working on this since the playbook came out probably. But if he has it he's not sharing, and probably has a good reason for it.
    LP_Rigg and eninrebmun like this.
    07-10-13 02:24 PM
    I used to use ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter to extract the contents of backup files...before the move to the new encrypted bbb format. Early bbb files were plainly readable.
    07-10-13 04:25 PM
    I have a good idea of where the encryption key is stored, but I have no way to retrieve that key because it's locked up on the device. And that key is based on your BlackBerry ID so it's unique to each person. xsacha may be the only one who has figured it out.
    I can get to the key, but not in a usable state... So this isn't something that is practical as of right now... Maybe by 2035 it might be...
    07-10-13 05:48 PM
    They were unencrypted on early PlayBook OSes. Media contains your media. Settings contains text files of your settings. App contains all your apps, and before BlackBerry encrypted them it was the source of a lot of piracy. While I would like to be able to access the media from a backup from time to time, the piracy trade off isn't worth it.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    07-11-13 11:22 AM
    Backup was also the source of the first root exploit because we were able to modify some settings files (that were otherwise owned by root) and deploy those.
    The files are 'whitelisted' so you can't just deploy anything. Also, the settings are 'massaged' before being applied in case they contain bad data or try to do something nasty.

Unencrypted backups dont restore anymore AFAIK. They did for a while.

We are up to 'version 2.0' of encrypted backups. The first version was mostly hardcoded and was easily decrypted :\.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    07-11-13 11:33 AM
    I have a good idea of where the encryption key is stored, but I have no way to retrieve that key because it's locked up on the device. And that key is based on your BlackBerry ID so it's unique to each person.
    Are you sure about that? I will test it. Editing the manifest and trying to restore on a different BB ID would give an answer. If somebody did that already, please tell me. Else i will report later what i found

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:53 AM
    Are you sure about that? I will test it. Editing the manifest and trying to restore on a different BB ID would give an answer. If somebody did that already, please tell me. Else i will report later what i found

Posted via CB10
    The key itself looks like it's reffered to as

urn:bbid:backupandrestorekey

which to me indicates that it's a blackberry id associated key specific to backups.
    07-11-13 12:04 PM
    Of course we all want to see what's in these files, and there would always be a use for it, the big questions is:

Once we find out what's in those files, would it be ethical to release the information needed to decrypt them? I'd have to see what good or harm could come of releasing that information. So even if I do ever figure it out, it may not be something that I'd ever share.

I have a good idea of where the encryption key is stored, but I have no way to retrieve that key because it's locked up on the device. And that key is based on your BlackBerry ID so it's unique to each person. xsacha may be the only one who has figured it out. He is years ahead of me in knowledge. I just started tinkering around not too long ago, and he's been working on this since the playbook came out probably. But if he has it he's not sharing, and probably has a good reason for it.
    Well I think it's all fine and dandy, for privacy but mostly -- *piracy*. What I'd like to see BlackBerry do is allow more granular restores. It seems to be almost all or nothing sort of thing. There are a few things that I want to be able to selectively restore, or even back up with a 3rd party tool so I don't have to keep restoring one or more of the three parts of the backup. WLAN profiles come to mind. I never want to lose those. All the leaks, reloads and other general shenanigans we do. It'd just be nice to have more control.

Maybe I just miss the way Protect used to work.
    07-11-13 02:20 PM