04-12-14 06:41 AM
286 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I've got moves like Jagger

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-27-14 01:09 PM
    is it possible that when John Chen said 'he spoke to blackberry's enterprise customers to listen to what they want and need..' he may have been told repeatedly by then that they feel that their PlayBooks lack support and updated functionality? So as he said he will do what it takes to make them happy and keep them, order the continued development of bb10 for PlayBooks?
    Haven't they arrested you already for murdering dreams?

Those are silly fantasies, really.

The Playbook is ancient by tablet standards - it was released in 2011.

Please tell me how many tablets you are aware of that are still being sold and supported/updated today, 3 years after they were introduced to the market.

The closest I can think of is the iPad 2, which is now discontinued and runs iOS7, but iOS7 is a minor OS update over the previous iOS releases compared to PBOS > BB10, and BB10 requires a lot more RAM than iOS does. (Good thing, because the iPad 2 only has 512MB.)
    extisis likes this.
    03-27-14 02:11 PM
    I think BB10 on the PlayBook might very well be everyone's worst nightmare. I've got iOS 7 on my employer's iPhone 4, and sometimes, when the hardware's not up to the task, it's best to leave well enough alone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    iOS is a horrible comparison. It's a well known fact that every ios update is bad on older devices. iOS 4 is horrible on 3g, iOS 6 is horrible on 3gs, iOS 7 is bad on iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Android typically has great updates. I have seen Android devices that run better on newer versions of Android than what they shipped with. Even the Galaxy S 2 is good on 4.2 (may run even better on 4.3). I do believe that Blackberry could get 10.3 on the PlayBook considering things like the phone and text aspect wouldn't need to be posted over saving a good bit on RAM resources. If the Dev Alpha units can do it so can the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:43 PM
    Hate to break people's fantasies but I haven't seen it mentioned yet:
    playbook-user has appeared in the Android build string since the very first Blackberry Android runtime was first leaked, for Playbook OS 1.0.7.

Having not updated, still, to this day is meaningless.
    We have yet to hear Chen's stance on the PlayBook... he's the one that wants to focus on software isn't he...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 06:48 PM
    iOS is a horrible comparison. It's a well known fact that every ios update is bad on older devices. iOS 4 is horrible on 3g, iOS 6 is horrible on 3gs, iOS 7 is bad on iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Android typically has great updates. I have seen Android devices that run better on newer versions of Android than what they shipped with. Even the Galaxy S 2 is good on 4.2 (may run even better on 4.3). I do believe that Blackberry could get 10.3 on the PlayBook considering things like the phone and text aspect wouldn't need to be posted over saving a good bit on RAM resources. If the Dev Alpha units can do it so can the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    iOS 7.1 should of fixed the lag problems.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 06:48 PM
    We have yet to hear Chen's stance on the PlayBook... he's the one that wants to focus on software isn't he...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You may be on to something here and we haven't really gotten official word from John Chen with regard to his plans for a Playbook update or device.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 08:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry's own people thought it would be too bulky for the hardware, but I'm glad you know better.

Sent by Telex ... saved on Hollerith cards
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-27-14 10:15 PM
    iOS is a horrible comparison. It's a well known fact that every ios update is bad on older devices. iOS 4 is horrible on 3g, iOS 6 is horrible on 3gs, iOS 7 is bad on iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
    Posted via CB10
    i would like to add that the latest iOS 6 has made my iPod 4G pretty much useless. Every app is slow and crashes occasionally, especially BBM. It's really only good for tunes now.
    03-27-14 10:19 PM
    iOS 7.1 should of fixed the lag problems.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    can't upgrade the 4 to 7.1 just 6. the 4S you can, i believe. eh... iOS sucks either way.
    03-27-14 10:21 PM
    can't upgrade the 4 to 7.1 just 6. the 4S you can, i believe. eh... iOS sucks either way.
    I have a 4 and 4s at home both can be upgraded to 7.1

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 10:22 PM
    I have a 4 and 4s at home both can be upgraded to 7.1

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    well my ipod4 can't upgrade to it. but either way. I looked at 7.1 and i'm not impressed. colors. wow.
    03-27-14 10:30 PM
    I do believe that Blackberry could get 10.3 on the PlayBook considering things like the phone and text aspect wouldn't need to be posted over saving a good bit on RAM resources.
    Oh yeah taking out those "massive" phone and SMS apps will really shrink it down...

How about removing the Android runtime entirely, locking active frames at maximum 4 at once, establishing a maximum number of messages in Hub and the maximum number of displayed entities in scrolling lists?

Somehow I don't think that "upgrade" would go over too well.

If the Dev Alpha units can do it so can the PlayBook
    That's a more interesting assertion, I will assume there are issues with hardware drivers or something that draw a distinction between the two.

AFAIK the Dev Alpha A and B were mostly similiar to the STL100-1, which shares the TI OMAP architecture with the Playbook, but the Playbook SoC is an earlier/slower variant.

Then there's the question of what to do with a 1024x600 screen, which Cascades never had an app build target for. And how to seamlessly run PBOS apps in BB10 without modification. Etc.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    extisis likes this.
    03-27-14 11:04 PM
    I don't ever run more than 3 apps at once....EVER...i've never had to scroll down open apps....once I am done with an app, i close it....there is no reason to keep the app open.....you can message on WhatsApp, FaceBook and post on Twitter w/o ever opening the apps....its all done from the hub.....if they limited to 4 active frames at once, then it wouldn't affect me one bit....

The Android Runtime is pretty much needed.....but they could make it where it has to start up the runtime every time you click on an Android app....like that blue bar that loads at the bottom of BB10 after you first boot up and load an Android app.....even if it took a few seconds longer to load up NetFlix or whatever, that would be a small price to pay to have SOOO many more apps available.

Removing the phone and SMS feature may not seem like much, but every bit helps.....and that is two that isn't needed...it adds up.....

I don't see the screen resolution being a problem........iOS and Android do it, so can Blackberry
    03-27-14 11:14 PM
    i'm living the fantasy with you guys, just to let yous know. no shame in it, life is too short.
    xtremez likes this.
    03-27-14 11:21 PM
    I don't see the screen resolution being a problem........iOS and Android do it, so can Blackberry
    Has nothing to do with whether it CAN be done, it has everything to do with how the native BB10 app development environment works and how apps built under that environment will run on a display they could never have been designed to be compatible with.

There is some indication they are going to move away from that at some point, but it's not going to be overnight.

We should know more when the Z3 ships - because it seems that they are going to have to do something 'interesting' to scale all the existing apps down to that lower res screen. Some think it will be custom hardware doing the scaling.
    03-27-14 11:59 PM
    Blackberry's own people thought it would be too bulky for the hardware, but I'm glad you know better.

We never heard from the actual engineers at BB. I'm under the impression BB10 was never developed for it. Let's be real, if there were further builds under Thor they would have leaked. They didn't. They stopped way at the beginning, like the very early beginning where BB10 barely worked and was pretty buggy. Whatever gobbles ram in BB10 does so by design. I would have guessed a massive hub index but device monitor disagrees or misrepresents it. The core OS can't possibly. Probably the android runtime using a bunch.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 12:12 AM
    You may be on to something here and we haven't really gotten official word from John Chen with regard to his plans for a Playbook update or device.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps someone at CB should look into this and ask the hard questions instead of ignoring the PlayBook's existence like BlackBerry did and press the issue. Seems like they were so enamored with TH and the access they had that they wouldn't ask anything that might be uncomfortable to management, and seem to have carried that over. Time to take the gloves off CrackBerry and stop acting like the teenage girl in front of her favorite rock star!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 06:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    But the PlayBook dies not run well with its current os. It's smooth yes. But loading takes forever. Opening the messages is a wait. Surely this would only be made worse with the hub and all its integration with accounts. If blackberry wanna put bb10 on a tablet. It will have to be a new tablet. With at least 2gb of ram. Consider also active frames. No this Just couldn't happen without an upgrade in specs slightly.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-28-14 06:40 AM
    You forget that the PlayBook in showcase mode ran several windows simultaneously. To say it couldn't handle active frames is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 02:37 PM
    You forget that the PlayBook in showcase mode ran several windows simultaneously. To say it couldn't handle active frames is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    Not that it can't handle active frames. But I couldnt run bb10 smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 03:03 PM
    Not that it can't handle active frames. But I couldnt run bb10 smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't debate it. Haven't been as adventurous with my PlayBook. Something to consider however is the software that has been loaded on PlayBooks was never intended for it. An optimized version for the PlayBook platform may result in a different outcome or it may not. Only people who know that are the folks at BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 03:51 PM
    Wow. I just re-read my own posts in this thread. Sometimes I'm a sarcastic $&@%%^*. I don't think it's likely the play book can handle upgrades designed for hardware that's much more powerful, but I was a little rude. Mea culpa.

FF22 likes this.
    03-28-14 10:47 PM
    Bla1ze, I found this while messing around in my calendar on my new Z30. As God as my witness, I did not set the dates or description. Just got the Z30 unlocked from Shop BlackBerry today.
    Heh.. PlayBook 10.3-img_20140329_021102.png

Posted via CB10
    VR6 likes this.
    03-29-14 01:16 AM
    Bla1ze, I found this while messing around in my calendar on my new Z30. As God as my witness, I did not set the dates or description. Just got the Z30 unlocked from Shop BlackBerry today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140329_021102.png 
Views:	2822 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	259248

Someone in one of your subscribed BBM groups put that in the group calendar.
    03-29-14 02:09 AM
    Wait. What? But BlackBerry said BB10 won't hit the PlayBook. I am truly dumbfounded.